Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,364 members, 7,815,778 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:10 PM

My Reacquaintance With Those Pacesetter Novels - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / My Reacquaintance With Those Pacesetter Novels (1297 Views)

All About "JAMES HADLEY CHASE" Novels #ones You'v Read & Experiences / Where Can I Find Pacesetter Books? / James Hadley Chase Novels: Share Your Experience (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

My Reacquaintance With Those Pacesetter Novels by doyin13(m): 3:05am On Jul 10, 2008
Isn't it just so disheartening when those experiences that gave you pleasure
in your earlier years fail to give the same spark when you come across them again.
For example, you watch those comedic shows of your childhood and wonder what you
found funny in the first place. You almost laugh in sympathy or is it derision at your kindeargaten/pubescent
naivette.

I was dreading the same personal emotional transformation, after I ordered a pacesetter novel online. Who can forget those
pacesetter novels. With those funny illustrations on the cover and catchy titles. It took me no more than a sitting to read a title,
a worthy companion those lonely nights in boarding school.

The title I ordered was ''Teardrops at Sunset'', one I hadn't read before. And well, was the spark still evident.
Hmm. . .somewhat. My literary palate has obviously matured with age and I am a lot more critical now than I was then.
In places, the book read like the writing of an imaginative secondary school pupil whose primary abilty was spinning a good yarn.
Trouble was about to 'burst' in some instances for example, or characters were crossing 'parlours' to enter their bedrooms. Adequate English
at best.

But the storyline, as it should be at this level, is its saving grace. It is almost compelling at times, and slightly ridiculous in others with obvious holes.
Of course these books are meant for a much younger audience than this old daddy. And looking back, I am less harsh on myself for being so enamoured
with this series. As a matter of fact I have just ordered a few more from the series grin Guilty Pleasures eh
Re: My Reacquaintance With Those Pacesetter Novels by SeanT21(f): 4:03am On Jul 10, 2008
what is the story line?
Re: My Reacquaintance With Those Pacesetter Novels by Nobody: 4:37pm On Jul 10, 2008
where did u order from?

(1) (Reply)

Bba Has Ended And Your Troubles Continue: / AUGUST BREAK; Dairy Of A Married Bachelor- Day4- Honeymoon Or Honeygloom / The Pain Of Knowing ( Short Story)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.