Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,037 members, 7,838,591 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 06:01 AM

No-work-no-pay Rule May Escalate ASUU Crisis - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / No-work-no-pay Rule May Escalate ASUU Crisis (18587 Views)

Another Nationwide ASUU Strike? / ASUU - No-work-no-pay Rule Will Not Stop Us From Striking / ASUU Snubs FG No Work No Pay Threat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: No-work-no-pay Rule May Escalate ASUU Crisis by meeking: 2:59pm On Oct 31, 2013
[quote author=wasak]
okay. I'm not trynna act coy...let's Look @ it from this angle...
how about the money gotten from diplomas, post utme, part time programmes, and more?
how about solicitation from wealthy Nigerians? in my school for instance the VC solicits from wealthy people to carry out projects and in less than 2years he has achieved what predecessors put together didn't achieve.
I'm talking about professor Abdulrashid of Bayero university kano.

DR. ISA FAGGE (CHAIRMAN OF ASUU) IS A LECTURER FROM BAYERO UNIVERSITY KANO.

HE SHOULD HAVE JUST ACCEPTED "VCS' SOLICITATION FROM WEALTHY PEOPLE - WHO BY THE WAY, PROBABLY STOLE FROM THE GOVERNMENT.

LETS LOOK AT THE STATISTICS. KANO IS A COMMERCIAL CAPITAL OF THE NORTHERN REGION. KANO MAKES LOTS OF MONEY FROM TAXATION OF COMMERCIAL ENTERPRISES (SINCE THE 1950S' - GROUNDNUT PYRAMIDS). MEANING THAT KANO HAS A GOOD REVENUE RETURN AND CAN HELP EDUCATION E.T.C.

WHAT ABOUT JIGAWA (NO RESOURCES, OR COMMERCE) E.T.C HOW DO THE VCS' OF SUCH A PLACE SOURCE MONEY? OR SHOULD THEY GO BEGGING ON THE STREETS?

I THINK THAT DR. ISA FAGGE DOESNT HAVE A PROBLEM WITH HIS SCHOOL. BUT HE WAS BEEN CONSIDERATE ON OTHER SCHOOLS THAT CAN'T GENERATE FINANCIAL AIDS FOR EDUCATION.
Re: No-work-no-pay Rule May Escalate ASUU Crisis by bobofati(m): 3:11pm On Oct 31, 2013
wasak:
an illiterate wouldn't have t typed all that... which elder should I respect? d one who demands for sex in return for A?
Sorry i cant join issues with a toDdler. grow up man, ASUU is fighting for the Nigerian education system. which i believe you are a part of.
Re: No-work-no-pay Rule May Escalate ASUU Crisis by proffemi: 3:11pm On Oct 31, 2013
wasak: in my school for instance the VC solicits from wealthy people to carry out projects and in less than 2years he has achieved what predecessors put together didn't achieve. I'm talking about professor Abdulrashid of Bayero university kano.

Thank you. The fact is, you - and most people - just do not appreciate how expensive an endeavor it is to fund tertiary education. I estimated the cost of the facilities of a single department that I regularly visit in the US at N500 Billion. That's ONE DEPARTMENT in a proper university. At that rate, each proper university will properly require facilities/infrastructure injection in the order of a few trillions. Of course I'm not asking that such an amount be sourced and injected into the system. I'm simply giving you an idea of how expensive tertiary education is.

You probably want to suggest that corruption and embezzlement play a big role, but sadly, in most cases, it doesn't. There is corruption everywhere in Nigeria and the universities are no different. However, it isn't a big factor here.

By the way, you should kindly note that in all those universities that are making money from Post-UTME etc, they execute tangible projects from the proceeds. For example, many people who wonder what my university does with the "huge" funds it raises from Executive MBA have no idea that tens of millions are funneled from there to meet all manner of critical university needs.

Having said all this, the money they generate is still not enough *alone* to make such a big difference.

Your VC has done well. Many more universities than you think are doing same. My university recently commissioned a building complex funded by an individual. The universities are trying harder than most of you think. It's just that this burden is so heavy that a strong arm of support is needed from FG.

It's easy to sit down and think we know how to run a university better than the administrators. Fact is, you - and many commentators - just do not have the facts.
Re: No-work-no-pay Rule May Escalate ASUU Crisis by mex22: 3:18pm On Oct 31, 2013
prof.femi:

Can you kindly stop comparing academics with (to) senators?
To the topic:

a) The no work-no-pay rule is fine. Forget the fact that I am hard at work on my research...if my students are suffering at home due to the strike, then I consider the no-work-no-pay my own share of the hardship.

b) Nigerian students come out looking even more self-centered than they claim ASUU is. Just because you want to get on with the worthless education you're currently getting, and graduate on time, you're willing to ask us to shut up and leave the system in its current state. Translation: tour nation's educational system can go to hell as long as you graduate on time

c) Yes, ASUU is fighting for allowances. Do you know how the bulk of those allowances came about? I'll tell you. My department for example is supposed to have 60 "lecturers". That is the NUC establishment. However, because the government can't afford to employ the right number, we have to get by with only 25. That's right, 25 of us do the work of 60 (and you wonder why we can't get scripts ready on time, or why we don't bother grading your assignments properly...). The government finds it easier to pay those 25 of us "excess workload" for doing the work of 60. Only now, they turn around and say we should not ask for the allowances.

Will the FG (and you) make up your minds: do you want to pay me extra for working extra (personally, I don't want excess workload) or do you want to employ the right number of staff??!

d) When students shout on ASUU to call off and leave the government be, they are forgetting one thing: there is ONLY ONE entity in Nigeria stoping school fees from going to (for example) N500,000 per year in all universities. Yes, it is this same ASUU you are criticizing. For the avoidance of doubt, I personally believe students should be made to pay close to what their education is worth. When a man pays for something, he is more likely to valule it.

So, in a nutshell, while I agree that no-work-no-pay is just about right, you should be careful in laughing at ASUU members who feel the pinch. IF ASUU buckles, you can be sure you will be paying more than N100,000 for you next school fees.
shut up my friend
Re: No-work-no-pay Rule May Escalate ASUU Crisis by proffemi: 3:21pm On Oct 31, 2013
mex22: shut up my friend
If this were not a faceless forum, the likes of you wouldn't even be on the same podium with me. So, go ahead and abuse the privilege.
Re: No-work-no-pay Rule May Escalate ASUU Crisis by meeking: 3:21pm On Oct 31, 2013
mex22: .
shut up my friend

PROF. FEMI DOESNT NEED TO SHUP UP. BESIDES HE WASN'T TALKING, HE WAS WRITING. ARE YOU A STUDENT? BECAUSE YOU'LL BE A PERFECT EXAMPLE OF A DILAPIDATED EDUCATIONAL SYSTEM - SINCE YOU CAN'T TELL WHEN SOMEONE IS WRITING AND WHEN HE IS TALKING.
Re: No-work-no-pay Rule May Escalate ASUU Crisis by Olumidzti(m): 3:38pm On Oct 31, 2013
Promhize:

Was going to call u a fool but... Do two wrongs make a right? U must be a lecturer, cos I can't believe someone is still supporting these idiots after 4months!
two wrongs don't make a right. Obviously you're the fool here coz only fools make stupid assumptions. I'm not a lecturer & it's only fools like you that will generalize all lecturers in this country as idiots. One thing I've also found surprising is how the government use people like you who can't think deeply against any org fighting the government.
Re: No-work-no-pay Rule May Escalate ASUU Crisis by Olumidzti(m): 3:40pm On Oct 31, 2013
Promhize: From the replies, I'm happy that Nigerians are finally seeing beyond their nose (beyond just the govt).

I wish Jonathan was in his second term, mass-sacking that's what these heartless ingrates would get. Nonsense!
ingrates? Have you done anything for them? Now this is a fool behind a keyboard.
Re: No-work-no-pay Rule May Escalate ASUU Crisis by NwokikeADAEZE: 3:42pm On Oct 31, 2013
The question is how much is ASUU asking for from the follow up I have is just 1billion and the FG are finding it difficult to comply with. Now my question is why? Why can't FG meet their demands then make sure the ASUU executives utilised the money well. If mrs Stella can order for almond cars for 645million then my dear FG can afford to pay 1billion to increase our educational sector but no because of their sell fish reason they can't. God help us Nigeria is rich let FG do the right thing and stop this rubbish of NO WORK NO PAY it will not work nor will it help the situation . THINk NIGERIAS
Re: No-work-no-pay Rule May Escalate ASUU Crisis by Nobody: 3:54pm On Oct 31, 2013
wasak: so they wanna be paid without work? bunch of old selfish rascals...
Nonsense in it's most civilized manner!!
Pls go and complete ur story..tnx..i'm tired of waiting
Re: No-work-no-pay Rule May Escalate ASUU Crisis by Hearme(m): 3:56pm On Oct 31, 2013
BEASTER: NO work no pay is the only remedy 2 solve this problem 'cos ASUU dos'nt hv any small pity on Nigerian students so the bad be wosen.

And has it resolved it after 2months without salaries? The government should release the 100billion and budget the one for next year. By that they will have shown commitment. All they are doing now is the Nigerian bad way of giving money to the poor during elections to keep queit or giving 4K to people to protest for ODUA. the 30billion to ASUU and other unions in the university is no different from that.

ASUU has refused to collect that money, to really show they want a change in our universities. Is Ghana richer than Nigeria? Why do they budget more to education than Nigeria? All our big men are establishing private varsities with an intention to rubbish the govt ones as it is now in secondary schools. If government can not sponsor education at tertiary level, why not increase fees like Fashola did to generate funds. You can imagine his school with over 90000 students. It was wise to that else the school will crash and loose all its moral standings.
Re: No-work-no-pay Rule May Escalate ASUU Crisis by Hearme(m): 4:24pm On Oct 31, 2013
wasak:
I am ready to challenge ASUU to a debate, d government as corrupt as it is have shifted ground, what the hell is ASUU fighting for? let's say our lecturers aren't qualified enough, y don't they overhaul themselves if they are truly fighting for d system? OK. they want over 3 trillion naira? how much is the overall budget of the country? do u know how many years Nigeria has been running on budget deficit? common!! think... so after providing the funds Nigerian universities will automatically become world class? is ur Aristo Dad a. lecturer?

illiteracy is not just about been able to read and write. Where did you get your 3trillion figure from. The agreement is everywhere online. Its about 1.5trillion over a period of 4years. Don't you know what is called bail out? If govt has bailed out Nollywood,Banks, Power and aviation for the second time, should not government be able to bail out education. If a country generates about 11trillion naira yearly and has a budget of 4trillion will you say that government is not capable of educational bail out of 1.5 trillion spread over 4 years? Ask yourself a polite sensible question
Re: No-work-no-pay Rule May Escalate ASUU Crisis by Hearme(m): 4:40pm On Oct 31, 2013
wasak:
and d strike is d best way to get proper education? can u prove to me that funding is the number 1 problem of universities?

What attracts a first class history student to Shell or Mobil? Lol.

What attracts a first class chemical Engineering student to shell or Mobil than Academics (Good training, pay and exposure I guess).

Therefore with good facilities for teaching, good pay, good working environment and welfare, the best brains will remain in this country and will be willing to teach.
Re: No-work-no-pay Rule May Escalate ASUU Crisis by McLuhan(m): 4:42pm On Oct 31, 2013
Olumidzti: how many days do your senators sit per week? & how much do they get? Some people are so 'wise' they'll fight against people stealing hundreds from them & defend people stealing billions.
Nigeria is a hopeless country full of hopeless people. Have we bothered to ask Senator David Mark what he does to deserve the N88 million monthly basic pay he receives as Senate President? Since Punch newspapers reported the said amount as part of their exposé on the outrageous salaries earned by Nigerian legislators, has David Mark refuted those allegations? Have Nigerians been able to force a downward review of those scandalous, world-record salaries? When did Nigerians stage a serious demonstration to protest the unprecedented looting that is currently taking place in all - take note, ALL - the levels of government in this country? Politicians are stealing the nation blind, looting our coffers and mocking us as well, and all we can do is begrudge our university lecturers, the most learned people in our society, of the pittance that government pays them. "Why can't they return to their wretched classrooms and teach their God-forsaken students?" we ask. Well, sorry, the lecturers have said for once that they won't continue with the charade that our government misnames "university education". They are telling government: "Implement the agreement you signed, an agreement that can begin to salvage our universities. But if you insist that you won't implement the said agreement, then take note that no amount of blackmail by clueless market women or intimidation by zombie policemen or calumny from gullible members of the public can make us return to our glorified secondary schools!"

2 Likes

Re: No-work-no-pay Rule May Escalate ASUU Crisis by Hearme(m): 4:52pm On Oct 31, 2013
wasak: .
I'm not hating.. all I'm saying is d industrial action is doing more harm than good...d strike can be called off with continuous negotiations.. but nay!!! ASUU won't agree...it's all about their pocket while I sit at home for months doing nothing only to resume for exams and I'm expected to pass @ d end of d day

Won't you be weary of negotiations if you have been doing almost the same thing since 2006-2013. Why is it that its only when there's a strike that a pinch of progress seems to appear by the government. Don't you think the government is not sincere in its dealings?
Re: No-work-no-pay Rule May Escalate ASUU Crisis by McLuhan(m): 5:06pm On Oct 31, 2013
prof.femi:

If this were not a faceless forum, the likes of you wouldn't even be on the same podium with me. So, go ahead and abuse the privilege.
Prof., let me apologise to you on behalf of the yokel who wrote those imbecilities. You must understand that it is for the sake of eliminating such ignorance that distinguished scholars such as yourself are embarking on the sacrifice of a strike. So, please ignore him for the sake of some of us who sincerely appreciate your worth and who welcome your scholarly and intellectual contributions to this forum. I write this with every sense of seriousness and sincerity.
Re: No-work-no-pay Rule May Escalate ASUU Crisis by McLuhan(m): 5:08pm On Oct 31, 2013
prof.femi:

Prof., let me apologise to you on behalf of the yokel who wrote those imbecilities. You must understand that it is for the sake of eliminating such ignorance that distinguished scholars such as yourself are embarking on the sacrifice of a strike. So, please ignore him for the sake of some of us who sincerely appreciate your worth and who welcome your scholarly and intellectual contributions to this forum. I write this with every sense of seriousness and sincerity.
Re: No-work-no-pay Rule May Escalate ASUU Crisis by vivaciousvivi(f): 5:12pm On Oct 31, 2013
prof.femi:

Don't misunderstand things. ASUU is primarily fighting for (a) its members (b) the Nigerian tertiary education system. We are not fighting for students in the sense of reducing their fees. We are fighting for students in the sense that the education you're getting is basically worthless, and (hopefully) with the right injection of funds, you are more *likely* to get a proper education. Gedit?

Thank you sir!
Stand your ground on this one. The FG is so selfish and this is evident not just in the deplorable state of our education system but in all aspects of governance. Enough is enough. Do not allow yourselves to be bullied. I am so surprised someone mentioned that what lecturers (I am understanding this to mean faculty staff including professors) remuneration are sufficient! So annoying........Thats why we can never have unity in this country. Doctors go on strike , people start abusing them that they took a Hippocrates oath and blah blah blah. When its a proven fact that a conducive work environment and the right motivational tools make up good hygiene factors that ensure loyalty and giving your all at the workplace.
Re: No-work-no-pay Rule May Escalate ASUU Crisis by oofiliaaron(m): 5:30pm On Oct 31, 2013
how many days do your senators sit per week? & how much do they get? Some people are so 'wise' they'll fight against people stealing hundreds from them & defend people stealing billions.[/quote]. ASUU shuld quite d lecturing job & go contest 4 senators since dey want 2 b treated as senators....rubbish
Re: No-work-no-pay Rule May Escalate ASUU Crisis by gbengaola: 5:34pm On Oct 31, 2013
I want them to continue with the strike till christmas time,I know some of them will come to our house because of food,I will personally tell my mummy to put CHICKEN'S LEG on their food to embarass them,nobody will teach them before they call off the strike.

1 Like

Re: No-work-no-pay Rule May Escalate ASUU Crisis by Olumidzti(m): 5:42pm On Oct 31, 2013
#
Re: No-work-no-pay Rule May Escalate ASUU Crisis by Olumidzti(m): 5:43pm On Oct 31, 2013
Sajio: ...... That's not the issue here, and even @that......if the lecturers wants †̥ earn like the senators? The had better go †̥ the pull and face the risk in being a Senator!! I support no work no pay rule joor!! ASUU should call of the damn strike.. D educational system cannot turn around overnight!!
you people just don't get it do you? I wonder how you've always been able to miss simple points consistently. I never said lecturers should be paid like senators. I just want everyone to be paid what they're worth. Senators should be paid what they're worth, lecturers should be paid what they're worth, farmers should be paid what they're worth, tailors should be paid what they're worth. Don't rob the citizens to pay the senators, don't rob Peter to pay Paul. I think that should be simple enough for you.
Re: No-work-no-pay Rule May Escalate ASUU Crisis by Eminey: 6:28pm On Oct 31, 2013
I'm just observing things and chuckling at most comments. The issue here's not some senators getting bumper pay...and a lecturer equaling such standards....I support the strike action...but like many other failed attempts they'v not learnt from...wot happened to proper planning?...itz 4 months now..was this d original plan?...u can't just go on strike without adequate planning...I even heard NASU wasn't briefed b4 d action started....like I said earlier b4 finz ensued into the No_work_No_pay....I expected a round table meeting...ASUU..Private investors...Government...Foundations..UNESCO and related blabla sheeps....and an University Educational Reform Bill passed from then on...dying on some agreement with the FG never and i'ld still say...NEVER!...can end the educational crisis...itz doesn't even kick starts finz...it rather kick starts finz on a faulty background headed for collapse in a few years....did dey consider the viability of sustaining these funds..."the corruption 'll stop all of a sudden aii?"...back to the Bill...I expected to see the bill...slowly but steadily implemented...say wot Eva...but datz a positive inertia...the educational system won't change bcoz 6trillion is thrown init....we won't see any changes until there's a better plan than dying on the 2009's agreement....we won't see any changes until 8 yrs time....so y d haste?..HE WHO MAKES HASTE MAKES WASTE...let's see how much wasted time ASUU and FG has caused Nigeria....still watching and observing!
Re: No-work-no-pay Rule May Escalate ASUU Crisis by Eminey: 6:35pm On Oct 31, 2013
Eminey: I'm just observing things and chuckling at most comments. The issue here's not some senators getting bumper pay...and a lecturer equaling such standards....I support the strike action...but like many other failed attempts they'v not learnt from...wot happened to proper planning?...itz 4 months now..was this d original plan?...u can't just go on strike without adequate planning...I even heard NASU wasn't briefed b4 d action started....like I said earlier b4 finz ensued into the No_work_No_pay....I expected a round table meeting...ASUU..Private investors...Government...Foundations.....UNESCO and related blabla sheeps....and an University Educational Reform Bill passed from then on...dying on some agreement with the FG I know never and i'ld still say...NEVER!...can end the educational crisis...itz doesn't even kick starts finz...it rather kick starts finz on a faulty background headed for collapse in a few years....did dey consider the viability of sustaining these funds..."the corruption 'll stop all of a sudden aii?"...back to the Bill...I expected to see the bill...slowly but steadily implemented...say wot Eva...but datz a positive inertia...the educational system won't change bcoz 6trillion is thrown init....we won't see any changes until there's a better plan than dying on the 2009's agreement....we won't see any changes until 8 yrs time....so y d haste?..HE WHO MAKES HASTE MAKES WASTE...let's see how much wasted time ASUU and FG has caused Nigeria....still watching and observing!
Re: No-work-no-pay Rule May Escalate ASUU Crisis by Eminey: 6:35pm On Oct 31, 2013
Eminey: I'm just observing things and chuckling at most comments. The issue here's not some senators getting bumper pay...and a lecturer equaling such standards....I support the strike action...but like many other failed attempts they'v not learnt from...wot happened to proper planning?...itz 4 months now..was this d original plan?...u can't just go on strike without adequate planning...I even heard NASU wasn't briefed b4 d action started....like I said earlier b4 finz ensued into the No_work_No_pay....I expected a round table meeting...ASUU..Private investors...Government...Foundations.....UNESCO and related blabla sheeps....and an University Educational Reform Bill passed from then on...dying on some agreement with the FG I know never and i'ld still say...NEVER!...can end the educational crisis...itz doesn't even kick starts finz...it rather kick starts finz on a faulty background headed for collapse in a few years....did dey consider the viability of sustaining these funds..."the corruption 'll stop all of a sudden aii?"...back to the Bill...I expected to see the bill...slowly but steadily implemented...say wot Eva...but datz a positive inertia...the educational system won't change bcoz 6trillion is thrown init....we won't see any changes until there's a better plan than dying on the 2009's agreement....we won't see any changes until 8 yrs time....so y d haste?..HE WHO MAKES HASTE MAKES WASTE...let's see how much wasted time ASUU and FG has caused Nigeria....still watching and observing!
Re: No-work-no-pay Rule May Escalate ASUU Crisis by onyeka205(m): 7:03pm On Oct 31, 2013
vizboy: hunger don dey come small small. Make fg continue like that. NO WORK NO PAY

They are all emploayable in private universities and most of them are there now on sabbatical leave, some have even travelled abroad and most of them are in business. Note that the August salary has just been paid and the released #30b has been disbursed to lecturers. The money is three times the monthly salary of the lecturers so it can last till January next year. Remember that all the salaries owed would be paid as soon as the strike is called off. The students should persuade the FG to listen to ASUU because at the end of the day, it is only students that will lose.
Re: No-work-no-pay Rule May Escalate ASUU Crisis by Nobody: 7:24pm On Oct 31, 2013
Olumidzti: two wrongs don't make a right. Obviously you're the fool here coz only fools make stupid assumptions. I'm not a lecturer & it's only fools like you that will generalize all lecturers in this country as idiots. One thing I've also found surprising is how the government use people like you who can't think deeply against any org fighting the government.

Funny, you can run along now.
Re: No-work-no-pay Rule May Escalate ASUU Crisis by urchman101(m): 7:38pm On Oct 31, 2013
prof.femi:

When you say "prove to you" what does it mean? Anyhow, yes, funding is the number 1 problem because

1) The conditions of service are not good enough to attract and retain the best minds.
2) The good minds do decide to stay do not have the right equipment and conducive environment to work.

You probably want to tell me that lazy, greedy, indolent, unscrupulous etc. lecturers are the number one problem, no? Well, my friend, go back and look at point number 1 above. Fact is, you get what you pay for. If Nigerian universities cannot employ smart brains year-in-year-out, what happens is, you fill the system with a lot of dross. The lazy, greedy ones you hate are here because the funding is not right to attract the best minds. Gedit?
Prof. Femi Goodday,
I agree with you on this ASUU strike issue but to an extent. I can say that the problem here is as a result of the general as well as individual corruption associated with the country. From my perspective i think ASUU didn't inform the public properly about their plight yes i can say that the decay in the university is obvious. Yes as a graduating student i got to knw or undertsand some of the reasons behind the actions through you on this forum, well big thanks for that, this i can say is just ur personal thought. Just like i state early i disagree with you for the following reasons:
1) In as much as i agree with you on ur earned allowance nd all that, i can boldly say that both the ASUU and FG stand on the same ground of dishonesty. From my perspective i can say if everything goes well and the funds are realised the assurance of sincere chanelling of the funds into their various uses ain't there. U can answer better.
2) The rot amongst some lecturers will hardly seize because its was the corruption within the ASUU and FG that brought them into the system.
Re: No-work-no-pay Rule May Escalate ASUU Crisis by Nobody: 7:38pm On Oct 31, 2013
Olumidzti: ingrates? Have you done anything for them? Now this is a fool behind a keyboard.

So only benefactors can call people ingrate, hmm, reminds me Einstein's words "if a clustered desk is a sign of clustered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?"

Get a dictionary and place it on your desk (literally) smiley
Re: No-work-no-pay Rule May Escalate ASUU Crisis by Pdizzle(m): 7:45pm On Oct 31, 2013
We nid gud leader in dis country and yar adua was one, the govt wont sign this agreement if they cnt afford it, im wit ASUU, this will go a long way and even sanitize d systems, wen bright minds re attracted to the uni premise. Come to think of it the best uni in 9ja is no 1600 in the world, that pathetic
Re: No-work-no-pay Rule May Escalate ASUU Crisis by Nobody: 8:04pm On Oct 31, 2013
Olumidzti: you people just don't get it do you? I wonder how you've always been able to miss simple points consistently. I never said lecturers should be paid like senators. I just want everyone to be paid what they're worth. Senators should be paid what they're worth, lecturers should be paid what they're worth, farmers should be paid what they're worth, tailors should be paid what they're worth. Don't rob the citizens to pay the senators, don't rob Peter to pay Paul. I think that should be simple enough for you.

Hmm, you miss the point my friend. How much do you think firefighters are worth? How much are they paid? Education is worthless in a way, but willingness to work shouldn't depend on pay my friend, if not, I assure you, you and I won't be where we are today.

Even in the developed countries you might have in mind, not everyone is paid as you say. Life is worthless, security is therefore worthless, in that case our policemen are worthless.

Our leaders are paid exuberant fees, yes! No one can dispute that, but I tell you if they were performing their duties you'd hardly notice.

I refuse the proposal that our lecturers are under-paid but, I accept leaders are overpaid, and what are the lecturers fighting for? The other question is, is this the only way? What happened to courts?

I'm a student and sometimes I wonder why the so-called caring God would let a religious country like Nigeria continue to be led to ruins by selfish, heartless ingrates right from the FG, State Govt, down to these lecturers, who to you seem like a saints.
Re: No-work-no-pay Rule May Escalate ASUU Crisis by debeey87(m): 8:22pm On Oct 31, 2013
Well for those of you tired of sitting at home, stop sitting and find something meaningful to do with your time like others are doing and let ASUU do what is best.
For the record, more than 50% of these lecturers have their children schooling in the country and some even in the school where they teach.

God Bless Nigeria

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

FG Suspends UNN Chairman Of Governing Council / What Is The Situation In Your School On Resumption? / 10 Important Things You Must Learn How To Do Before Graduating From University

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.