Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,009 members, 7,817,976 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:54 AM

ABC Of Second Republic - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ABC Of Second Republic (730 Views)

Buhari Declares War On Igbos, Stops Construction Of Second Niger Bridge / ‘why Construction Of Second Niger Bridge May Be Put On Hold For Now’ / FG Revokes Licences Of ABC Transport Courier, Nine Others (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

ABC Of Second Republic by Jarus(m): 8:56pm On Oct 30, 2013
I found this article (column) by Mahmud Jega historically rich and illuminating, for those of us younger generation who want to deepen our knowledge of Nigerian political history. I have read many materials on 2nd republic and can fairly discuss it, but hadn't come across some of teh things Mahmud discussed her.

http://dailytrust.info/index.php/columns/monday-columns/7567-one-by-one

The tribute to Chief Solomon Lar that I wrote in last Thursday’s Daily Trust elicited reactions from curious young readers who asked me many questions about the Second Republic. I do not blame them for being curious because when compared to the Second Republic, this Fourth Republic has all the colour of a funeral procession. It is bereft of oratory, ideological politics, party loyalties or dazzling political manoeuvre.

It only bristles with petty quarrels. Some of the readers who wrote to me appeared to think that I was some kind of party chieftain in the Second Republic. Actually I was only a school boy who read a lot of newspapers. I therefore urge my young compatriots to read today’s newspapers avidly so that they will be telling similar stories 30 years from now.
I wrote rather offhandedly last Thursday that with Chief Lar’s death, the ranks of Second Republic governors was depleted and only a few are left. A friend has however forced me to do a Florida-style recount. Many Second Republic governors are still alive, including Lateef Jakande, Adamu Attah, Abdulkadir Balarabe Musa, Muhammadu Goni, Jim Nwobodo, Alhaji Awwal Ibrahim, Abba Musa Rimi, Dr Garba Nadama, Alhaji Bamanga Tukur, Alhaji Lawal Kaita, Dr. Samuel Ogbemudia, Senator Don Etiebet, Alhaji Asheikh Jarma and Dr. Victor Olunloyo.
Unlike in 1999 when most of those who became state governors were men with little historical links to earlier political eras, many of the Second Republic governors were important continuations from the First Republic, where they played some junior roles. Among them were Olabisi Onabanjo of Ogun; Michael Adekunle Ajasin of Ondo; Bola Ige of Oyo, Melford Okilo of Rivers, as well as Lar, a Member of the Federal Parliament in 1958-66. Others were men that rose to high public service positions during the years of military rule, such as Bauchi’s Abubakar Tatari Ali, a former Federal Permanent Secretary, Dr. Clement Isong, who was Governor of the Central Bank and Alhaji Shehu Kangiwa, who was a Federal Minister. Others had risen to slightly lesser public service positions, e.g. Mohamed Abubakar Rimi who was Administrative Secretary of NIIA, Balarabe Musa who was the Company Secretary of Broadcasting Company of Northern Nigeria [BCNN]; Muhammadu Goni who was Executive Secretary of the Borno State Transport Corporation and Professor Ambrose Ali, who was a professor of morbid anatomy.
Most of the opposition governors in the Second Republic rode to power on the wings of colossal party leaders. All five UPN governors, for instance, were elected to their seats courtesy of Chief Awolowo. The two PRP governors rode to power on Malam Aminu Kano’s coattails. The two GNPP governors rode on Uncle Waziri Ibrahim’s coattails while two of the three NPP governors got there courtesy of Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe’s magical aura. Solomon Lar was a notable exception because Zik’s political magic did not extend to old Plateau State.
Solomon Lar’s public image was defined by his cap, a very long kubbe cap that trumped President Shehu Shagari’s long kubbe cap. At the time, many thought Lar was wearing the long cap to ridicule Shagari, but since he continued to wear a shortened version of it right until his death, I am now the wiser. Long cap aside, Lar did not seem to belong to the ranks of the most colourful politicians of the Second Republic, an age defined by very colourful politics. The most colourful governors of the Second Republic would include Mohamed Abubakar Rimi and Jim Nwobodo, youthful men who dressed impeccably.
Nwobodo, a former general manager of the Enugu Rangers Football Club, was a fashionable man who wore dazzling white suits. He also wore an expensive diamond ring; I was standing by the roadside at Awka one day in 1983 when Nwobodo’s motorcade drove by. The governor lowered the rear glasses of his Mercedes car to wave to passers-by and I presently saw the brilliant flash of his ring reflecting on the adjoining buildings. Governor Shehu Kangiwa of Sokoto State was also very colourful. Before his death in a 1981 polo accident, he cast himself in the mould of Sardauna. His motorcade was always preceded by Dan Kwairo and Sani Dandawo’s praise songs blaring from vehicle-mounted loudspeakers.
Lar was credited with accomplishing many good projects in Plateau State but he was not among the Second Republic’s most dynamic governors; the press regarded Lagos’ Alhaji Lateef Jakande and Kano’s Rimi as the highest flying achievers. Nor was Lar known for dramatic or fiery oratory; the leader there was Kano’s Sabo Bakin Zuwo. As for deep intellect, Oyo’s Governor Bola Ige, a lawyer who earlier studied Classics at the University of Ibadan, was seen as the Second Republic’s champion.
In terms of media exposure, Lar’s next door neighbour Mr Aper Aku of Benue was better known nationally because of the affidavit that he swore in court alleging corrupt enrichment on the part of Benue Plateau State’s Military Governor, Police Commissioner Joseph Gomwalk. Aku had been preceded in the affidavit swearing business by fellow Tivman Godwin Dabo, who swore a sensational 1974 affidavit against the Federal Commissioner for Communications Chief Joseph Tarka, reportedly at the instigation of Chief Obafemi Awolowo. Tarka retaliated against Gomwalk by using Aku, which may explain why Aku got NPN’s governorship ticket.
Nor was Solomon Lar the most obstinate Second Republic governor. That title, I think, belongs to Abdulkadir Balarabe Musa. Even though his NPN rivals had secured a two thirds majority in the Kaduna State House of Assembly through the wholesale disqualification of PRP candidates, Musa saw no reason to compromise. He brought in top Marxist ideologue Dr. Yusuf Bala Usman as his Secretary to the Government and often began his press conferences by saying, “This government did not come into office due to any vested interest…”
Lar’s ‘Emancipation Program,’ a continuation of First Republic UMBC politics, was designed to free Plateau’s indigenous communities from alleged Hausa/Fulani domination. Partly as a result, Plateau State under Lar was a hotbed of inter-communal and religious politics. The program was localized to Plateau State because UMBC’s old leader Chief Joseph Tarka did a complete political about-turn in the Second Republic due to his quarrel with Awolowo. He joined NPN and teamed up with old NPC elements. This act removed Benue from the line of Emancipation politics.
Lar will be remembered for the running battles he had with the Movement for the Creation of Nasarawa State. Lower Plateau was NPN territory. The Second Republic marked the height of agitation for the creation of new states; there were up to 100 state creation movements in Nigeria. They federated themselves under an umbrella National Association of State Movements of Nigeria [NASMON]. It was led by former North Western State military governor Alhaji Usman Faruk, who was also the leader of the Movement for the Creation of Gombe State.
At least, Solomon Lar was not known for crying in public. That medal was worn by his NPP mate Governor Sam Mbakwe of old Imo State. Mbakwe first cried during an inspection tour of Aba city roads which had not been rebuilt since the Civil War. Later, he cried when he went to cross check his name in the voters’ register and found that it was omitted. He not only shed tears; Mbakwe also said the British colonial masters should come back since Nigerians had shown themselves unable to run the country’s affairs.
The top Second Republic men lost their way, literally, when the military struck on December 31, 1983 and brought the acrimonious republic to its end. Dr Raymond Dokpesi, who was the Chief of State to Gongola State Governor Alhaji Bamanga Tukur, told a story in 1996 about how he could not find his way to the guest house where he was staying when he heard of the coup even though it was quite close to the Government House in Yola. Solomon Lar however rediscovered his way; he remained active in national politics for another 30 years.

1 Like

Re: ABC Of Second Republic by olawalebabs(m): 8:50pm On Nov 02, 2013
There are some columnist that wake me up. Mahmud Jega and Simon Kolawole. I don't joke with their write ups.

(1) (Reply)

Apc’s 2015 Drive...buhari, Tinubu Visit Kwankwaso, Lamido / Anambra Poll: Group Of 200,000 Women Endorses Obiano / Jonathan Appoint Ex-Gov Mu'azu As PenCom Boss

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.