Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,239 members, 7,839,263 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 03:55 PM

Water Vs Coolant ... Bad Or Not As Good? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Water Vs Coolant ... Bad Or Not As Good? (1155 Views)

Coolant Drain, Flush And Refill, DIY On 2003 Honda Accord (with Pics!!!) / Water Or Coolant For Radiator / What Does Your Coolant Gauge Read? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Water Vs Coolant ... Bad Or Not As Good? by Originalsly: 12:01pm On Oct 31, 2013
I learned from this forum that all coolant is not the same ...I thought the only difference was colour. Some come ready mix and some need to be diluted with water. Some people use water only and the car seems to work well except that the radiator need to be topped up more often. I am thinking water may have rust and do cause rust...gets hot pretty quickly, will generate steam , expand and increase pressure in the cooling system... can this result in damage to the engine or affect performance of the car? ... or is it using water only will simply cause you to refill the radiator more often?
Re: Water Vs Coolant ... Bad Or Not As Good? by dgitrader(m): 12:28pm On Oct 31, 2013
Read the car's owner manual for your coolant type/colour. For other answers,
The answer is below
Originalsly: I learned from this forum that all coolant is not the same ...I thought the only difference was colour. Some come altready mix and some need to be diluted with water. Some people use water only and the car seems to work well except that the radiator need to be topped up more often. I am thinking water may have rust and do cause rust...gets hot pretty quickly, will generate steam , expand and increase pressure in the cooling system... can this result in damage to the engine or affect performance of the car? ... or is it using water only will simply cause you to refill the radiator more often?
Re: Water Vs Coolant ... Bad Or Not As Good? by Nobody: 12:43pm On Oct 31, 2013
No car manufacturer would advice any car owner to put only water in their radiator in place coolant. Instead they would always advice you get a special liquid recommended by them and mix part with water (depending on their recommendation) and use as coolant. Water alone in radiator causes rust in the radiator components and also don't have lower freezing point than those liquids neither do they have a higher boiling point than those liquid (recommended liquid+water lowers freezing point and raises boiling point of the radiator fluids).

(1) (Reply)

How To Service My Camry 2.2 Idle Air Control Valve IACV / How To Buy Used Cars In Nigeria: You Never Knew This About ! / Tips For Car Owners- Must Read !

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.