Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,840 members, 7,810,238 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:25 AM

20 Ways To Use Your Time If You’re Waiting For Your Next Job. - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 20 Ways To Use Your Time If You’re Waiting For Your Next Job. (1586 Views)

20 Ways To Improve The Quality Of Your Life / 5 Reasons Why You May Fail In Your Next Job Interview / 20 Ways To Instantly Build Your Self-confidence (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

20 Ways To Use Your Time If You’re Waiting For Your Next Job. by rodeo0070(m): 4:55pm On Oct 31, 2013
I know it can be tough to live
without a job. I recently moved to a
new city and went through the
dreaded “job search slash figuring
out what to do with my free time
slash not driving myself crazy not
working or not attending school.”
While it may be tempting to wallow in
self-pity and frustration (let’s face
it, job hunting is not easy for
anyone), there are some
constructive things you can do with
your time in between jobs. Getting
busy will make the time pass more
quickly, plus you might learn a few
things about yourself in the process.

Here’s our list of 20 ways to use
your time if you’re waiting for your
next job:

1. Volunteer.
Not only will you feel more
productive and all around good for
giving something to others, you
never know what kinds of
opportunities could come out of a
volunteer experience. The
organization you are working for
might have a position open up, or the
contacts you meet might be able to
point you in the right direction.

2. Start a blog.

Chances are you have something to
say, so why not share your thoughts with the world via the internet? I started a blog over three years ago and it was immensely helpful for getting my feelings out while I was unemployed. I was also comforted by the readers’ kind words on days
when I was feeling lonely in a new
city.

3. Make a bucket list.

Are you approaching any major
birthdays? If so, you can always
make a list of things you want to do
before you are ‘X’ age. Planning on
moving soon? List out things you
want to do before you move to your
new city or state! I am only planning
on being in my new city a couple of
years, so I am working on a list of
things to do while I live here. Once
you have your list, share it with
family and friends and start
checking items off!

4. Begin a new exercise program.

Get some endorphins going to fight
depression and boost energy in your time of unemployment.

5. Sign up for a race.

Nothing gets me motivated (or fills
up more time in my life) than training for a race. This will help give you purpose and boost your confidence once you cross that finish line.

6. Spend time with family and
friends.

It is easy to get too busy and forget to spend time with the ones you love. Take this opportunity to reconnect with people and build up
relationships.

7. Start couponing.

This is something I have always
wanted to try but could not imagine
taking the time sitting out with
papers and scissors … but when you
are low on money and high on time,
this is something you might want to
consider.

8. Cook from scratch.

Something that will save you money,
but takes a bit more time, is cooking from scratch. Google some fun recipes and learn something new in the kitchen!

9. Get outdoors.

Exercise, fresh air and vitamin D all help fight the depression that may be looming over your head in your state of unemployment.

10. Read a book.

Perhaps you have a book or two that you have been meaning to read but never had the time. Now you do!

11. Take a class.

Most classes are held during the
day, a time when most people are
typically at work. Since you do not
have to worry about that, find a
class that will inspire you.

12. Travel.

If you have some savings, consider
traveling during your time of
unemployment. Seeing new things,
meeting new people and overall
widening your horizons will benefit
you no matter what stage of life you are in.

13. Make a list of your strengths
and passions.

Maybe you are not quite sure what
your next employment venture
should be. Making a list can help you focus on what you are good at and what you enjoy doing. Somewhere in those lists you should be able to find
an occupation that would suit you.

14. Set up practice interviews.

This can help you gain confidence in the interviews for jobs you actually want.

15. Learn to play an instrument.

There are many music stores that
offer lessons and even used
instruments that you can buy for a
good price.

16. Play a video game.

They are actually a whole lot more
beneficial than you think!

17. Build something.

My boyfriend said this is the first
thing he would do if he were
unemployed and I believe him. It
does not have to be a large
structure — maybe a bookcase you
have been meaning to buy can
instead be built in your free time.

18. Pick up a hobby.

Whether it be learning to shoot pool or how to crochet, make sure to keep your mind engaged during this period of unemployment.

19. Relax.

Think of this time off in a positive
light. You now have time to kick back and relax!

20. Lastly, do not give up your
job search.

Set a goal of the number of jobs
and/or interviews you want to do
each week and try to stick to it. It is great and refreshing to take some time off from the working world; however, you should also remember the likely need of a job in your near future!
Try to be positive and productive in your time of unemployment. Use this period in your life to learn new
things, think about your life and to
build relationships. Something good
will come of this time in between
jobs!
Most people believe that the job
interview is the last bastion
before either getting a job or not
getting a job, but that may not
be necessarily true.

CULLED FROM: www.lifehack.org/articles/lifestyle/20-ways-use-your-time-youre-waiting-for-your-next-job.html?utm_source=Lifehack&utm_campaign=a98f2cf14f-RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_983e966a3e-a98f2cf14f-414734457

2 Likes

Re: 20 Ways To Use Your Time If You’re Waiting For Your Next Job. by jussodynamic: 8:04pm On Nov 02, 2013
Gud one!
Kip it up!!!
Re: 20 Ways To Use Your Time If You’re Waiting For Your Next Job. by impactmaker: 2:40pm On Nov 03, 2013
Those are great thoughts.
In addition, keep preparing yourself for different kinds of job interview questions and aptitude tests. Also try to develop yourself in different areas such as analytical skill, communication skill, interpersonal skill, computer skill, etc. You can read books or even search the internet for lots of resources that are helpful to you. You could just be interviewed and find yourself in a top position you never thought of. Self Development is the key!
A free mobile application called "Pivotal" will also be of great help to you while preparing for your next aptitude test. It contains different types of questions including the answers and explanations. You can download it at: nextapps.mtnonline.com/32014
All the best!

1 Like

Re: 20 Ways To Use Your Time If You’re Waiting For Your Next Job. by rodeo0070(m): 9:49am On Nov 04, 2013
impactmaker: Those are great thoughts.
In addition, keep preparing yourself for different kinds of job interview questions and aptitude tests. Also try to develop yourself in different areas such as analytical skill, communication skill, interpersonal skill, computer skill, etc. You can read books or even search the internet for lots of resources that are helpful to you. You could just be interviewed and find yourself in a top position you never thought of. Self Development is the key!
A free mobile application called "Pivotal" will also be of great help to you while preparing for your next aptitude test. It contains different types of questions including the answers and explanations. You can download it at: nextapps.mtnonline.com/32014
All the best!

Nice one Bro! Please its like the app is no longer available. Please Kindly help...
Re: 20 Ways To Use Your Time If You’re Waiting For Your Next Job. by impactmaker: 1:46pm On Nov 04, 2013
rodeo0070:

Nice one Bro! Please its like the app is no longer available. Please Kindly help...

I just visited the link on my phone and it was accessible.
Try to access the link on your mobile phone. This is the link: nextapps.mtnonline.com/32014
Once you access it, it will take you to the download page. Click on "DOWNLOAD" and it will take you to the login page. You will need to login before you can download the apps on the app store. Login or sign up if you have not created account on the website.
Register with an mtn line so that you can receive the verification code that you will need to verify and activate your account.
Once you have signed up, then login with your email address and the password you used to register on the website.
After successful login, click on the download button and it will start to download on your phone.
Note that the application is a java mobile application and you need a java phone to be able to download it.
Hope this post helps.

(1) (Reply)

What Is The Salary Scale Of The Power/energy Industry In Nigeria / As Graduates Continue Roaming The Streets / Does Anyone Know Pdms? (oil And Gas Pipe Design Software)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.