Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,393 members, 7,815,837 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:15 PM

As Graduates Continue Roaming The Streets - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / As Graduates Continue Roaming The Streets (1589 Views)

National Association Of Unemployed Graduates Openly Invites Trustees And Members / Masters Degree Or Continue With Present Job / Should I Migrate To Canada Or Continue With My Job? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

As Graduates Continue Roaming The Streets by lonelydude: 7:30pm On Oct 22, 2010
JUST SOMETHING TO MOTIVATE YOU A LITTLE.

Blue-collar jobs require physical rather than mental exertion. Hmm. What’s so wrong with how you do the work as long as you get the job done? Why should the way you do the job matter, you are trying to earn a living aren’t you?

I don’t think you have anything to be ashamed of, society does not just understand that what is important is how much money you take home at the end of the day’s work.

What’s so wrong if your hands get dirty, you will wash them won’t you? So your palms get tough because of the job you do, and that worries you, buy a hand lotion or better still, go for manicure every now and then, you can afford it, can’t you? Why not go for full body massage, that way all those muscles and joints that have been ‘damaged’ because of the heavy lifting will be taken care of.

You are worried people will call you names, no sweat, English is a wonderful language, you can coin your own words to explain what you do for a living, print it on your business card if you like. Open a web page, nay ya money kill am.

So a ‘common farmer’ can now be called an Agriculturist, an Agribusiness man, an Agronomist or a Cultivation Consultant. No be you start am, receptionists are these days referred to as Front Office Executives. It’s your job and you can describe it the way you understand it.

Mechanic can be an Auto Medic, Carpenter=wood sculptor, or wood expert, or Wood Consultant /Contractor or Wood Technologist, it’s all grammar, as long as it brings money into your pocket at the end of the day. Even Pastors these days prefer to be called Life Coaches, because that pretty much explains what they do in the lives of their members, they teach/train them on managing life’s challenges.

http://www.nigeriamasterweb.com/paperfrmes.html
Re: As Graduates Continue Roaming The Streets by SkillJed(m): 2:59am On Oct 31, 2010
why on earth should a graduate continue roaming the street. there are a lot of things they can do to make a living and contribute meaningfully to their lives, families and society at large. for example, a graduate with competency on basic computer skills (applications/software) can easily market himself as a consultant on basic computer skills, and build a steady and strong stream of income for himself
Re: As Graduates Continue Roaming The Streets by MiniDee: 5:51am On Oct 31, 2010
God has given us brains to think,Bishop David Oyedepo says,we have not used 99% of the gift we have in our brains.There are lot of things we can do with our hands,instead of looking for white collar jobs.Why idle away,when you can create jobs for people,the companies you are looking to work for ,are they owned by aliens or robots,are they not owned by humans like you?If u set ur mind to do it,then u can be an employer,every graduate needs the entrepreneur mind,that's the way forward now.
A little motivation for u,I graduated from school at the age of 21,I stayed home waiting for service for 1yr,applying for jobs on every website.I'm a Petroleum Engr,then during my service year,I decided to abandon service,take good use of the opportunities around me.I opened my own company with 2 people.We started a construction and management company.I was in charge of business development/public relations,today my experience has grown so much that big companys now want to employ me.I have turned down a lot of offers,and would only work in another corporation if its Total or Shell.Else as I would stick to my company.
Re: As Graduates Continue Roaming The Streets by gem70: 5:05pm On Oct 31, 2010
@minid dats d spirit my guy, D nigerian spirit! Keep it up.
Re: As Graduates Continue Roaming The Streets by MiniDee: 7:33pm On Oct 31, 2010
Hey,I'm a girl not a guy
Re: As Graduates Continue Roaming The Streets by AjanleKoko: 9:46am On Nov 01, 2010
The issue is with acquiring those skills. Somehow we look down on blue-collar jobs in Nigeria, while we readily take them up in other countries.
Most students in Nigeria just sit at home or get up to some trouble when they're on regular or forced holidays, rather than go and look for something to do. You see the attendants at a Mr Biggs sulking at customers, rather than going about their jobs cheerfully. And you have really bad carpenters, mechanics, tailors, electricians, etc.

Eventually, people go to college, and are surprised when they get out and can't find jobs. This happens everywhere else, even in the developed world, anyway, but when you don't have any alternatives like it is in Nigeria, it's much more traumatic. I think maybe we need to have more technical schools teaching these skills. We have a few, especially for IT, but we need more, to cover more disciplines. Catering, fashion design, housekeeping, stuff like that.
Re: As Graduates Continue Roaming The Streets by Odunnu: 9:08pm On Nov 01, 2010
I get so offended with this mentality myself.
I mean,I have this friend who was my classmate,exceptionally good in academics I must say, UNN 2.1 Accountancy graduate. She insists on 'working'. She makes my hair( i always insist on paying),she cuts and sews clothes,she's very good with colors(unlike me). I'v adviced her to brush up her skills,even offered to help out in paying but she prefers 'visiting job websites' and funny enough,i'm helping out too.
Why would somebody so gifted remain 'jobless' waiting for govt job? I tire o!
Re: As Graduates Continue Roaming The Streets by ennygil(f): 9:46pm On Nov 03, 2010
i believe every single person is gifted. Some have discovered theirs while some are yet to. If you are among those in search of a job, maybe all you need to do is take a moment and look inwards. What do you enjoy doing, what comes to you naturally etc. Ask questions and seek knowledge about those things. Write them down and approach them from a problem solving angle, then just get up and START.
Re: As Graduates Continue Roaming The Streets by lonelydude: 2:03pm On Nov 04, 2010
You all make this issue sound too straightforward but I'll like to let you guys know that the fact that some make it in business doesn't mean some others will.

There are people who have lost a fortune all in the name of starting business. Another thing is where do you want someone who can hardly feed to get money to start up something like you all have been suggesting? You all should know that a number of applicants have tried all these ideas you are giving but got disappointed. It's not as easy as it sounds my dear posters.

I know about a guy who's got BSc and MSc who also loves teaching. He's been searching for a job for quite a while now with no luck. He later decided to try out teaching jobs in different Primary and secondary schools but to his amazement, rejections still kept flying out on his face.
I have some other examples but there's no point mentioning.

Just want you guys to know that sometimes, it doesn't just work for everyone.
Re: As Graduates Continue Roaming The Streets by AjanleKoko: 9:59pm On Nov 04, 2010
lonelydude:

You all make this issue sound too straightforward but I'll like to let you guys know that the fact that some make it in business doesn't mean some others will.

There are people who have lost a fortune all in the name of starting business. Another thing is where do you want someone who can hardly feed to get money to start up something like you all have been suggesting? You all should know that a number of applicants have tried all these ideas you are giving but got disappointed. It's not as easy as it sounds my dear posters.

I know about a guy who's got BSc and MSc who also loves teaching. He's been searching for a job for quite a while now with no luck. He later decided to try out teaching jobs in different Primary and secondary schools but to his amazement, rejections still kept flying out on his face.
I have some other examples but there's no point mentioning.

Just want you guys to know that sometimes, it doesn't just work for everyone.

Nobody said anything about 'making it'. We're talking about making a living. The world still needs carpenters, tailors/seamstresses, welders, bricklayers/masons, electricians, etc. We Nigerians seem to think that life is a jackpot. It's not, it's usually hard work.
Re: As Graduates Continue Roaming The Streets by tollu: 12:18pm On Nov 05, 2010
MiniDee:

A little motivation for u,I graduated from school at the age of 21,I stayed home waiting for service for 1yr,applying for jobs on every website.I'm a Petroleum Engr,then during my service year,I decided to abandon service,take good use of the opportunities around me.I opened my own company with 2 people.We started a construction and management company.I was in charge of business development/public relations,today my experience has grown so much that big companys now want to employ me.I have turned down a lot of offers,and would only work in another corporation if its Total or Shell.Else as I would stick to my company.

This is impressive. All the best

lonelydude:

I used to belong to your school of thought but these days, my thinking has changed. I used to say to myself that not everyone is entrepreneurial (Which is true) but then some of us can still find other things to do.
I’m not so qualified to dish out advice on this kind of issue just yet but then, this girl is getting there.
When I was much younger, I used to see myself as that power suit wearing, briefcase toting executive (I still do) but times are not so encouraging. I don try to force myself in sotay . . .The thing tire person. So currently, I’m no longer applying for jobs. Applications for an MBA sept. 2011 in progress and the koko of all the information is that on my free days I learn how to sew. This is something I have a slight interest in and hope would provide some sort in income whenever I make the relocation. At least pending the time I get to live my MAIN dream.

So, you will do well to modify, not necessarily change, your thinking. Cheers mate
Re: As Graduates Continue Roaming The Streets by MiniDee: 1:11pm On Nov 05, 2010
There are really a lot of things,one can do.Even as the business development manager of my own company,I still do other jobs.I am a young girl,my friends laugh at me and call me a hustler,I laugh back,I'm not bothered.Hustling is bringing in the money.Someone wants to register a company in CAC,I av a frnd dere,I jst ✆ him,registerin is 50k,I tell d person 60k.No matter where d person is in Nigeria,its jst a phone call.Now we r in the politics era,I am tryin to print shirts for campaigns,I do not have a printin press and I dunno politicians directly but I am standin as a middleman,tryin to make d bread.So friends out there,there's a lot u can do.
Re: As Graduates Continue Roaming The Streets by MaiSuya(m): 12:49am On Nov 06, 2010
Yeah despite my university degree I still make a lot of money selling suya. . . tongue

Come on, who are we kidding? All these motivational talk na just that - talk.

Our society does not appreciate the artisans, simple. Perhaps in more advanced socities, but not here.

How much can one actually get doing those so called 'blue collar job'? 200 naira? five hundred naira? wetin I go carry dat one do?

ABEG!!!! angry
Re: As Graduates Continue Roaming The Streets by AjanleKoko: 3:42pm On Nov 06, 2010
Mai Suya:

Yeah despite my university degree I still make a lot of money selling suya. . .  tongue

Our society does not appreciate the artisans, simple. Perhaps in more advanced socities, but not here.

How much can one actually get doing those so called 'blue collar job'? 200 naira? five hundred naira? wetin I go carry dat one do?

ABEG!!!!  angry

Obviously you don't use any of the 'artisans'. Then you would respect them when they bill you.
I just paid over 40k for car repairs, to a guy who is a graduate of mechanical engineering, and has his own auto shop.

A builder that is doing work for me, collects 5% of the cost of each phase of my project. When the project is finally over, he'll have made maybe  2.5 million naira, over four years or so. He has a masters degree in civil engineering, and is a freelance builder/construction project manager, who learnt the practical aspect of his trade by joining the local bricklayers. Of course, he is working on a number of other projects asides from mine.

Or maybe I should mention the dude who is a sub-dealer in GSM airtime, and has properties worth 40 million naira, including four offices in Lagos. Yes, he also learnt his trade from ignorant airtime and phone dealers in Ikeja.

Now, Suya? How much do you think the mallams at Glover Court, or Mende Maryland go home with every night? I buy suya from them at least once a week, and I don't buy N500. I always meet a crowd of at least 20 people there in the evening.

Your comments are based on the ignorant perceptions that lazy Nigerians (who are unfortunately in the majority) keep spreading around to discourage people from working hard for their daily bread. Nobody said don't go to school, but just know that you have to work hard to get anything. That's the way it works every where in the world. Why would you think Nigeria is different?
Re: As Graduates Continue Roaming The Streets by tollu: 7:26am On Nov 07, 2010
Mai Suya:

Yeah despite my university degree I still make a lot of money selling suya. . . tongue

Pah! Ur university degree is a kobo a dozen and so not enough to seperate you from the rest of the crowd.
AjanleKoko:

Obviously you don't use any of the 'artisans'. Then you would respect them when they bill you (1).
Your comments are based on the ignorant perceptions that lazy Nigerians (who are unfortunately in the majority) keep spreading around to discourage people from working hard for their daily bread. Nobody said don't go to school, but just know that you have to work hard to get anything (2) . That's the way it works every where in the world. Why would you think Nigeria is different?

@ Bolded (1)
Word! Artisans who know what they are on about make a heapload of money and when it is infused with that extra thingy you get when you hav been within the four walls of a higher institution - - - then, there's no stopping you.

@ Bolded (2)
Not necessarily hard but smart. I see some of these young guys especilly those in the diesel supply thing who do not leave their houses often times and still do very well for themselves. One thing every business needs - Contacts or customers if you will.
Re: As Graduates Continue Roaming The Streets by aned: 1:41am On Nov 14, 2010
Mai Suya:

Yeah despite my university degree I still make a lot of money selling suya. . .  tongue

when you meet with the society, you device a means of dealing with them.
have you ever heard of the word "TURN-OVER?.200 hundred naira or five hundred naira multiply by how many one can gather for the day,my brother, you might be surprised with what one is going home with.
ABEG!!!!  angry
Re: As Graduates Continue Roaming The Streets by az77zy(m): 11:21am On Nov 14, 2010
I have a particular friend who is a graduate of 2003 and is yet to have a job simply because he insist he must get a job in a big firm.we studied an engineering course together and i took to teaching when i could not secure a job in Engineering in 2006. He laughed so much at me for doing what i had to do to survive. four years into my teaching career, i have been able to set up a small business and now a post graduate student, my friend is still waiting for the big job seven years after graduation. What makes the issue quite annoying is that, he claim to be a born again which in itself is a result of  joblessness and base his waiting on testimonies he hears in the church about people who waited for ten years before they got a big job. For Christ sake, God cannot come down to do for us what He has already given us the ability to do for ourselves. The refusal of most graduates to discover their potentials and use same to succeed in life is very unfortunate. Obviously, government can not provide job for every body. It is therefore left for graduates to use their education to rediscover and reinvent themselves for their own successes and general good of the society. It is good to hope in God but For God to give you Success, you must make a move for God to move.Financial Success does not depend on jobs provided by the government alone.It has to do with what you can do with what you have to do.
http://www.toksmata.com/spirituality.html
Re: As Graduates Continue Roaming The Streets by clickgold(m): 2:58pm On Nov 17, 2010
Starting a business in Nigeria is no kid's play.

When I graduated I first have to work in a firm for some years so as to save money to kick start my company. 5 years down the road I will say life has been fair, but I really had to work for it. You can start somewhere, these days part of my job is helping graduates understand their strength and finding where to fit in in organizations.

So far so good, with my guidance a large number of them have left roaming the streets to either start their own company or get good paying job. I do not believe in submitting your CV all over the place. There is the reverse job logic that smart people use to work in any company of their choice. I have written a free report on that, so visit a new site I put up to help graduates land their dream job.
Remember that only the fool give up, no matter the pain just keep pushing
Re: As Graduates Continue Roaming The Streets by ayodele123(m): 9:02pm On Dec 06, 2010
Go create a job for yourself. Job creation is the new song now.
Re: As Graduates Continue Roaming The Streets by bayourfar(m): 10:13pm On Dec 06, 2010
For most people who believes money is number one thing you need to have to start a business, I want to say categorically that money is the fifth item you need to start a business.

1. Determination, Desire

2. Idea

3. business

4. customer

5. money or fund.

Sir, if you determine that you dont want to look for job, I assure that you will come up with fantanstic business idea that will fetch you cool money.

Somebody mentioned that where you want to work, is it not own by some people.

"If you think you can, you can. And if you think you can’t, you’re right."
- Henry Ford

You have to make up your mind you want to do it, no matter what will happen.

Let me also share my story maybe it can inspire someone.

When I finished serving I was retain by an asset management company, I served in Enugu but later posted to Lagos to work after my Service.

I work with that compnay for a year and I resign my appointment to start my own company. Prior to that time I have always wanted to do my own thing.

Those people we see at the top today dont get there through complains or negative mentality, they have also witness tough times in their journey to greatness.

"Behind every successful man there's a lot of unsuccessful years."
- Bob Brown

What I do now I find so much fulfillment in it because I know is my business and If work hard on it the sky is the starting point.

The beauty of being your own boss cannot be compare to any amount any company can pay you, You cant be my friend if are not planning to start your own company.

Somebody said "GRADUATES ARE THE CHEAPEST COMMODITY ARROUND"

I refuse be a cheap commodity in my life.

Argue for limitations, and sure enough they’re yours.

GO AND DOMINATE!
Re: As Graduates Continue Roaming The Streets by sashaa(f): 12:45am On Dec 09, 2010
I'm really at dat point in my life, when i have absolutely no idea what to do. I finished my NYSC ten months ago and i've been looking for a job. I'm all for having ur own business and discovern one's own potentials. But, I CAN'T SEEM TO FIND MINE! its just so frustrating.
I always encourage my friends who seem to have found their own potentials to pursue it and not be bent on getting a white collar job. I'm just so confused!
Re: As Graduates Continue Roaming The Streets by tollu: 8:20pm On Dec 09, 2010
sashaa:

I'm really at dat point in my life, when i have absolutely no idea what to do. I finished my NYSC ten months ago and i've been looking for a job. I'm all for having your own business and discovern one's own potentials. But, I CAN'T SEEM TO FIND MINE! its just so frustrating.
I'm just so confused!

I feel u girlfriend.
Per finding your own potential and all, what are the things you've tried? What are your hobbies?
If you are an active member of a church, have you tried joining any of the available departments?

Me sef still dey find my talent sha but I'm on one path already.
Re: As Graduates Continue Roaming The Streets by sashaa(f): 12:40am On Dec 10, 2010
My dear, yeah i'm in the ushering department. I'v tried out sales/marketing, teaching, singing and writing. I like reading especially articles.
How are ur sewing lessons going? Kudos to u for taking dat step towards developing urself in ur area of interest. The Lord is ur strength
Re: As Graduates Continue Roaming The Streets by sashaa(f): 12:43am On Dec 10, 2010
My dear, yeah i'm in the ushering department. I'v tried out sales/marketing, teaching, singing and writing. I like reading especially articles.
How are ur sewing lessons going? Kudos to u for taking dat step towards developing urself in ur area of interest. The Lord is ur strength
Re: As Graduates Continue Roaming The Streets by headworld: 2:27am On Dec 10, 2010
WANTED URGENTLY

From soil to oil
Now something is boiling
Our oil tanks are getting exhausted
We need more think tanks
Look at our “graduates” & see unemployment riding high
Look at our needs as a nation & see the many opportunities to create solutions.
ENTREPRENEURS are wanted!

Call: OuterEDGE Solutions (08066363000)
Business plan
Proposal
Feasibility report
Start-up advisory (FREE)

I’ll be part of the solution and not the problem!
Re: As Graduates Continue Roaming The Streets by tollu: 2:40am On Dec 10, 2010
sashaa:

How are your sewing lessons going? Kudos to u for taking dat step towards developing urself in your area of interest. The Lord is your strength

Wow, you've tried a good number of things. What can I say? Press on? cheesy

Sewing lessons, I've been somewhat lazy these days bar that, It's going fine. Thank you for asking.
Re: As Graduates Continue Roaming The Streets by HopeDemocr: 3:47am On Dec 10, 2010
WORK has changed.
The world is shrinking fast.
Unfortunately, we are yet to tap into the booming $500Billion Outsourcing industry.
I hear Ghana, Tanzania, Morocco and South Africa are cashing in already.

In my experience, I've worked in outsourcing in UK for over 10 years.
In all, I've engaged more than 50 Indians, 20 Filipinos and 5 US citizens during this period.
As we speak, 1 German, 3 US guys and 4 Filipinos are working for me. My corporate lawyer is based in India.

I know we have very talented and skilled Nigerians who can offer quality competitive services to the world but we need to be organised.
Service providers should also be trained and empowered.
At Hope Democratic Party, we are committed to transforming Nigeria into a major world IT Hub within a few short years. Seriously.

We can't achieve this major economy transforming vision alone, which is why we are calling on credible people to stand for elective offices at all levels during the 2011 elections on our platform.

You don't need to be rich to stand for office as councillor, LGA Chairman, State Assembly Member, etc, just be ready to organise your local area and win.
We can create millions of new jobs in 3-5 years. Work has changed. The world is now FLAT.

Your's truly
Mr. B

(1) (Reply)

Business Administration Or Economics: Which Is Better In The Nigerian Job Market / Where And How Do I Go About My PMP Training / What Can I Learn To Make Me Self Reliance After NYSC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 111
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.