Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,227 members, 7,849,815 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 10:11 AM

Three Countries On Standby List For 2010 World Cup - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Three Countries On Standby List For 2010 World Cup (781 Views)

Lagerback Discovers Youth Defender For 2010 World Cup: Obinna Nwaneri / Jay Jay Okocha For 2010 World Cup / 23 Players Nigeria Should Take To 2010 World Cup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Three Countries On Standby List For 2010 World Cup by morpheus24: 2:58pm On Jul 10, 2008
What is really wrong with Africa?.

I really think this was a bad time for SA to host the Cup seeing that after winning the bid they were just emerging from some difficult times and and still struggling.

Do you think they are ready cause if not I know we will not see the tournament in that part of the world maybe until most of us are Old and grey.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/africa/7499541.stm
Re: Three Countries On Standby List For 2010 World Cup by pault(m): 8:44pm On Jul 10, 2008
I don't think it is what is wrong with Africa per say Morpheus . South Africa is not alone in under estimated the task of Capital works projects to host the World Cup. Olympics or any sports festival. South Africa is not Nigeria or any other place for that matter. London 2012 Is still looking at barely breaking ground on the stadium that is needed four years from now. The Same goes for much of the London 2012 prep work .
The World Cup is one of the worst for what is needed and demanded. 3.5 million fans attend the tournament and that calls for huge transportation infrastructure on top of 10 to 12 stadiums of 40000 to 70000 seats with all spectators in single seats and all covered by roof.
Nigeria is wise to go after the Commonwealth Games and make Abuja the city for that effort. Abuja is certainly prepared thanks to the infrastructure left from the All-african Games in 2003. Getting into mass transit and intercity transport able to handle million s for the world cup or olympics is not in the cards right now in Nigeria but who knows in the future. Lagos is the key for a world cup or olympics even if Abuja is a bid city for the Olympics simply because Lagos would have a role for Sailing , Soccer Trianthlon and other events that would be hard for Abuja to host because of geography.
support the Abuja 2018 bid http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=17343847842
Yes nigeria no mounting a bid for the world cup was very wise.

Paul T
Re: Three Countries On Standby List For 2010 World Cup by morpheus24: 9:00pm On Jul 10, 2008
I mean isn't it insulting to say you have standby cities to hold an event in case of. I mean I understand if the circumstance is a natural disaster of somesort but on the basis of crime, security and infrastructure is saying something.
Re: Three Countries On Standby List For 2010 World Cup by pault(m): 10:41pm On Jul 10, 2008
that is why sepp blatter stated natural disasters . It is code speak that basically signals a LOC to get on with the job at hand .
Saying that the stadiums were not going to be ready would be discouraging to the LOC. On the other hand if the LOC thought they could skate by without providing what was bid on or what is required they just had a vailed message that Fifa Has a Plan B.

Paul t
Re: Three Countries On Standby List For 2010 World Cup by Fadajasi(m): 3:00pm On Jul 15, 2008
Which countries are on standby?

(1) (Reply)

Siasia's Boys Vs Tella's Boys / Alloy Agu: We’re Ready For Mozambique! / Nigeria U-17 Captain Over 20?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.