Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,226 members, 7,818,770 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:42 AM

The C Of O Or Gazette Is Under Processing Land Scam - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / The C Of O Or Gazette Is Under Processing Land Scam (17444 Views)

Ajah Police, High Court Epe Aiding Omonile Land Scam Schemes / EFCC Takes Three Suspects To Court For N3m Land Scam / Land Scam By Novojo Farms Owned By Late Ishola Williams And Family (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The C Of O Or Gazette Is Under Processing Land Scam by meforyou1(m): 8:07am On Nov 03, 2013
Please, what is omonile?
Re: The C Of O Or Gazette Is Under Processing Land Scam by ubeji: 9:14am On Nov 03, 2013
lawyer: There is one very popular land scam that is extremely rampant in Ibeju Lekki, Ikorodu, Badagry and Agbara that is very common amongst unscrupulous Estate Agents, Surveyors and Very Defective Land Sellers and Omoniles trying to hood wink potential buyers of land and that Rip-off is the “GAZETTE OR C of O UNDER PROCESSING SCAM”.The scam works thus like this:

1. They see that you are interested in buying a land and they notice it through your eyes and emotions that you are falling in love with that land, the topography of the land, dreaming of the potential neighbours of the land and the environment through your numerous kind words of the location and the structure of the land.

2. They know you are ready to pay for the land right now if you agree on a price but they also know that if you are too land savvy, you will ask them for the documents or title the land has and that might prevent you from buying it.

3. They know if they produce a fake land document, you could get in touch with Omonile lawyer to verify the land or someone that is well versed in purchasing land who will discover their fraud.

4. So they choose the easy way out. They will tell you the history of how the land came about and how the Government tried to steal a large expanse of land from the Community but the community protested and the government had to finally give the Omoniles a certain portion of their land back and in return give them either a Gazette or a C of O.

5. These Swindlers will now tell you that for 3 years or so, the community has been trying to get their Gazette or C of O from the Government and they have been processing it seriously and it would soon be out. They will even encourage you to go to Alausa land registry department to go yourself to confirm it. They will give you a file number to go and crosscheck the file personally so that you will see all the payments, fees, paper work and everything needed for the Gazette or C of O to come out but because of the bureaucracy of government officials they can’t do much but they need money to continue bribing the Alausa officials sitting on that file and that is the reason the Seller or Omoniles are selling the land cheap now to use part of the money to obtain the Gazette or C of O and you should take advantage of the cheapness because once the C of O or Gazette is out, the price of the land will quadruple beyond the reach of the Buyers pocket. The moment the prospective buyer hears this wonderfully crafted diabolical fantasy, he swallows it hook line and sinker and proceeds to make payment without confirming the status of that fabulous story. 6 Months down the line after the buyer intends to start building and is anxious to perfect his papers and get his building plan approval, he would still be hearing that same well rehearsed story line

“THE GAZETTE OR C of O IS STILL UNDER PROCESSING”

It baffles me that someone is about to hand over thousands or millions of Naira to a stranger and relies on only his well crafted story to buy the land. If you’re a prospective buyer and you come across this phrase “GAZETTE OR C of O UNDER PROCESSING”, think hard about the following questions:

1. How does the Agent or Seller of the land know it is under processing?

2. Has he been to the land registry to confirm if it's under processing

3. What is the file number and what does the file colour look like?

4. What room is the file being kept and who allocated the file number to that file?

5. Who is the officer in charge of that file and can they give you his number so that you can go and confirm it personally?

6. What fees did the omoniles or community pay for that “GAZETTE OR C of O UNDER PROCESSING” and what copies of receipts or fees do they have to show you. At least since they are to pay for government receipts they should have triplicate copies of the receipts to show you.

7. Who is the surveyor handling the release of the “GAZETTE OR C of O UNDER PROCESSING ”

8. Who is the lawyer or Government official acting on their behalf to get the “GAZETTE OR C of O UNDER PROCESSING ” out in due course

9. When is the expected date or time the “GAZETTE OR C of O UNDER PROCESSING ” is to come out

10.What if the “GAZETTE OR C of O UNDER PROCESSING” is not approved or granted, what becomes of the money or land that you have just committed yourself into? Once you can ask the Agent or Omoniles these questions and they cannot answer it satisfactorily, my brother, use your 2 left legs and waka from that place unless they will just use your money to do Sahara. A word is enough for the Wise.

So the next time you are shown a land to buy and you hear these infamous words “GAZETTE OR C of O UNDER PROCESSING ” , Dont fall Mugu to these People telling you this Bulls**t Anymore. Tell them to provide all the answers to the above questions and provide concrete evidence of the supposedly Land Documents under processing unless no body will pity you when you start to cry in future as your House is being demolished because the land has no papers and still under processing after 10 years.

Visit www.omonilelawyer.com for more Devastating Land Scams that could make you bankrupt and how to avoid being Victims in the Hands of Land Swindlers.
thank oga for the advice but if a letter from alausa is showm to the prospective buyer that the land is conceal to the family selling the land and even call alausa people in your presence nko.and u r are assure that the necessary papers is been process what is ur take sir
Re: The C Of O Or Gazette Is Under Processing Land Scam by angelmikky707(m): 10:51am On Nov 03, 2013
arc-view:
Not all land which documents are under processing are fake. Land with C of O or Gazette didn't appear from nowhere all went through processing stages at one time or the other and not all land are under government acquisition. If all are well verified and proven beyond every doubt there is nothing stopping you from investing into your future...

True talk....government self get there own wahala
Re: The C Of O Or Gazette Is Under Processing Land Scam by Kinikini: 1:43pm On Nov 03, 2013
Caveat emptor. A property developer name starting with M has started advertising service plots in Sango Tedo Ibeju Lekki. Please beware. Don't buy fraudulently acquired land. A word for the wise.
Re: The C Of O Or Gazette Is Under Processing Land Scam by HomesOfLife(m): 6:06pm On Nov 03, 2013
siobahn: Thanks Op but i have a couple of questions:

(1) Have you heard of this PWAN Homes Property Access Club Estate that sells at N360,000/plot?
The estate is located at Elerangbe area of Ibeju Lekki and they say it's %mins drive off Lekki Epe Expressway.
(2) Where can one buy a good land especially with Ibeju Lekki being the next selling point for agents? The thing dey fear person, i dont want to part with my hard earned money or buy and later find out you have to deal with these so called omoniles

Pls call on 08107024162, I'll tell you what you dont know about Pwan PHPAC.

1 Like

Re: The C Of O Or Gazette Is Under Processing Land Scam by amanikondo: 6:40pm On Nov 03, 2013
motoman: @delafrota and @arcview: if you read Lawyer's post properly, you would see he has not completely condemed the buying of Lands said to be under processing, but rather he has said we should be weary and apply more caution when told that story. He has even gone an extra mile to give us a template of questions we should as, which in the end will strengthen or cancel our decision to purchase such land.
I actually give much kudos to Lawyer cos he is indeed a rare gem, and invests his time in ensuring people learn about proper purchase of lands.

Now to my problem: I purchased a land in Beechwood estate, Ibejou area about a year ago, and that land has been 'under gazette processing' for ever. After reading this post, I'm starting to feel like I was scammed. Reason is: I wasn't alocated a plot with a plan nore any sort of markings, cos my agent said I'll only get those once the gazette is released. So I can't even carry out a check on the land. I dey hang for 'one-chance bus' and the wahala be say I know say I dey scam, but can't do nothing...any advice?

Are you sure your land is in Beechwood Estate or around Beechwood Estate? Beechwood has a valid document (C of O since 2004) and people are securing Governor's Consent and are building. I think you have been scammed if the land is inside Beechwood.
Re: The C Of O Or Gazette Is Under Processing Land Scam by ayodave: 8:41am On Nov 04, 2013
amanikondo:

Are you sure your land is in Beechwood Estate or around Beechwood Estate? Beechwood has a valid document (C of O since 2004) and people are securing Governor's Consent and are building. I think you have been scammed if the land is inside Beechwood.
Thank you ooo cos am just wondering, I Leave around Beechwood (blue house busstop b4 awoyaya) and I use to pass through Beechwood when going to Eleko or epe, there are houses inside Beechwood oo and construction is going on their, hope u never fall mugun.
Re: The C Of O Or Gazette Is Under Processing Land Scam by tonyflez(m): 5:48am On Nov 05, 2013
Hahahahhha...i no suppose laugh o ....but i no Fit hold am....Bros find your Land go o ....maybe nah the new beachland estate togo....nah wah for some scammers sha...LOL
Re: The C Of O Or Gazette Is Under Processing Land Scam by tonyflez(m): 5:49am On Nov 05, 2013
Hahahahhha...i no suppose laugh o ....but i no Fit hold am....Bros find your Land go o ....maybe nah the new beachland estate togo....nah wah for some scammers sha...LOL...
Re: The C Of O Or Gazette Is Under Processing Land Scam by kopell: 5:31am On Nov 08, 2013
@lawyer why this late, it as being going on for over 6years now. My brothers am in Naija now to see things for my self again. I will write story about roads in Lagos especially federal roads Lagos badagry express. Na wa ooo I spend two and half hours from Festac to Iyana Iba, I can't imagine me going to Badagry. Men, my intention is to go to Teju royal Gardern Estate to see those land Someone advertise for 5m here on nairaland somewhere at Okoko. if I can't get to Iyana Iba in 2 and half hours when am I going to get to Okoko, in this situation have to turn take Iba road good road less them ten minutes am in Ikoton. My brothers these as nothing to do with Lagos light rail road project, still going on in slow motion Ooo
It just the condition of the federal road.
My brothers in Abuja it compleat diffrect story
Good road almost every where, I don't understand why they can't do same to federal roads in Lagos? This is just the beginning of my story on federal roads around the federation I will try and tour at least 5 state before am back to base. Pls Stay tune for more story.
Re: The C Of O Or Gazette Is Under Processing Land Scam by SEWORLD(m): 6:46pm On Nov 08, 2013
Keep it up good information all thank U.
Re: The C Of O Or Gazette Is Under Processing Land Scam by Wilife: 12:01pm On Nov 09, 2013
...Interesting post yet again by Lawyer....

So thankful for your insights....

U probably won't know me....I know u well 'cos u've helped with avoiding several land mines in real estate transactions particularly lands....

What will shock u is how very educated and seemingly exposed folks are willing to scam another fella....

...Be wary of those estates in Ibeju Lekki...I think that's the next bust in Lagos real estate...

I believe so many folks are being scammed in that axis...

For the Beechwood Estate guy...

I'm so sure you've being scammed....that estate has a good title and ARM - the primary owner has a structured process for land sale et al....

If in doubt, ask folks who know...Lawyer is a listening ear...he will always talk to u if u call him....

1 Like

Re: The C Of O Or Gazette Is Under Processing Land Scam by nkoyoeyo(f): 2:08pm On May 26, 2017
Dear Lawyer,

Thanks for the write up.

I am seriously considering buying a piece of land as i think its a way to invest esp the way the economy is going, one can never tell when it would come in handy.

So, i was thinking of buying one within an estate as it would negate the omoinile wahala even though the price of the land might now be almost twice its original one because of this;however, i came across one company called Labrintos and they are selling off some plots at Safari Gardens and park estate at Akodo Ise Ibeju Lekki by Lacampagne Tropicana.

Can you please confirm if
1. they are a good and reliable property company
2. the area in question will be a good buy or if it is a no go area
3. i plan to spread the payment over a few months, what documents should i look out for.

Will be expecting your response to same.

Many thanks.

1 Like

Re: The C Of O Or Gazette Is Under Processing Land Scam by BecomeALandLord(m): 2:13pm On May 26, 2017
Nice one
Re: The C Of O Or Gazette Is Under Processing Land Scam by benbertie: 4:50am On Oct 25, 2017
DO YOU KNOW THAT

1. Buying a Land that is deemed to be “free” but it has no Certificate of Occupancy or Governors Consent or Gazette / Excision is a gamble?

2. Buying a Land with “Gazette in Process” and “Excision in View” or “File Numbers” is an unsecured investment? This is a commonly used scam / trick by real estate development companies in Lagos, Nigeria.

3. There are cases where fraudulent Sellers present cloned Certificate of Occupancy or Registered Titles, alongside fake or forged means of identification?

4. In a situation where a Property is owned by a Corporate Body incorporated or registered under the Companies and Allied Matters Act, Search at the Companies Registry is paramount?

5. Without a grant of probate and /or letters of administration, no Vendor or Seller [whether family members or otherwise] possesses the requisite authority to sell the estate or property of a deceased person? Hence Search at the Probate Registry is vital.

6. The consent of the principal members and head of the family or community to the sales transaction needs to be obtained so as not to make the sales transaction void or voidable?

7. If the Title of a Land is defective, whoever buys a House built on such a Land is merely a tenant at the mercy of the true Owner with a valid legal Title to the Land? The Legal Maxim: “quicquid plantatur solo, solo cedit” in very instructive. It simply means that whatever is affixed or planted to a land belongs to the land.

8. It is the duty of the Lawyer of the Buyer or Purchaser to prepare the Documents which includes: Contract of Sale; and Deed of Assignment; or Deed of Sub-Lease; or Deed of Conveyance; or Deed of Transfer; or Power of Attorney; as the case may be? The rationale for which the duty of preparation of the Documents is on the Lawyer of the Buyer or Purchaser flows from the right of the Buyer or Purchase to the non - reversionary interest of the property.

9. If there is litigation on a property, the Court may order that status quo be maintained and the person in possession would remain in possession? After making payments and executing Title Documents, a Buyer can take possession by: erecting a small fence, farming on the property, putting tenants on the property, putting a security person on the property, putting construction materials on the property, etc.

10. The Land Use Act prohibits alienation of Land without the consent of the Governor?

11. Failure to pay stamp duty renders a title document unacceptable for registration and inadmissible in evidence in a court of law?

12. Registration does not cure defects neither does it confer validity on the Instrument which it would not have otherwise had but for its registration?

You need to know how to go about the process of buying and owning a Property in Nigeria. There are several Laws which govern and regulate the process. Hence, usually, it is time and capital intensive. On Property transactions, the legal maxim is apt: “Caveat Emptor” - Buyers Beware. It is not for a Seller to beware. A Buyer needs to exercise full caution and due diligence when buying a property.

READ MORE https://www.nairaland.com/4136950/guide-how-buy-property-land
Re: The C Of O Or Gazette Is Under Processing Land Scam by ChairmanOfLagos: 12:56pm On Mar 30, 2022
HomesOfLife:

Pls call on 08107024162, I'll tell you what you dont know about Pwan PHPAC.

I have some questions

(1) (2) (Reply)

Selfish Nature Of Road Contractors In Nigeria(pic And Illustrations) / Sustainable And Intelligent Architectural Designs / Fire Outbreak At Olusosun Dump Site In Ojota, Lagos Destroys 10 Cars, 4 Trucks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.