Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,908 members, 7,835,031 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:27 AM

Why Dont Ladies Use Natural Hair - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Why Dont Ladies Use Natural Hair (1162 Views)

My Natural Hair Wants To Kill Me Before My Time / Student Faces Expulsion Over Natural Hair / Grow Your Natural Hair Long (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Dont Ladies Use Natural Hair by engrtee(f): 10:20pm On Nov 02, 2013
. Nigerian Hair Salons are anti-natural hair: The moment you walk into a salon, to make your natural hair, the first thing they’ll ask, is if you’re ‘deeper life’

Next thing, they’ll go ‘Aunty, this your hair too hard oh. E too plenty oh. You no go relaz your hair’?

Natural Hair products are scarce:
hairdressers prefer washing hair hair with ‘Petals’ shampoo, no conditioner, and then load it with Mineral oil, in the name of ‘Apple Hair Food’. All these dodgy, drying hair products.

Why dont ladies go natural? Arent you tired of weavon?

1 Like

Re: Why Dont Ladies Use Natural Hair by AbdulAdam56(m): 10:40pm On Nov 02, 2013
I tire o...
Re: Why Dont Ladies Use Natural Hair by mimicue(f): 11:09pm On Nov 02, 2013
Many, many black women think their kinky, curly, coily hair is ugly, nasty, unkempt, and unacceptable in this society. I feel that way too, which is why I love getting relaxers every time my new growth appeared. With perms, dyes, putting heat to your hair everyday. Is it simply that we don’t know how to take care of our own hair without it breaking off. No, we are aware of the do’s and don’ts with taking care of our, but simply the measures blacks have to take to make their hair manageable. smiley
Re: Why Dont Ladies Use Natural Hair by Nobody: 11:44pm On Nov 02, 2013
Re: Why Dont Ladies Use Natural Hair by Chinwem(f): 7:30am On Nov 03, 2013
Nigerian hair salons will make nonsense of your hair for you, wether relaxed or natural
They fail to think outside the box so the moment they see natural hair they have no idea what to do

It's a pity......this is the hair we are supposed to be more familiar and comfortable with

I ve big chopped and I plan to do a better job of it at home with help of YouTube videos than to offer myself for mishandling by any Nigerian salon with ignorant untrained staff

1 Like

Re: Why Dont Ladies Use Natural Hair by hermosa(f): 2:56pm On Nov 03, 2013
O.P good question. Why don't we go natural?
African hair texture is very different from ethnicities. We have type 4 hair whicghis kinky, or very tightly curled, with a clearly visible curl pattern.
• The hair is very wiry, very tightly coiled and very, very fragile
• Type 4 hair can range from fine/thin meaning its small in size, to thick/coarse meaning its fat, with lots and lots of strands densely packed together
• Type 4 hair has fewer cuticle layers than any other hair type, which means that it has less natural protection from the damage you inflict by combing, brushing, curling, blow-drying and straightening it.
A lot of African women relax their hair because of society, ignorance and peer pressure. They believe a woman with straigth silky hair is more beautiful than a woman with coily, kinky and coarse hair. And because they believe if their hair is relaxed then its easier to maintain. Wrong.
Relaxed hair, if not daily maintained can damage your scalp and hair cuticle. It requires a lot of Deep Conditioning, and a lot of hydrolyzed protein products that cost a lot of money.
Yes our natural hair is coarse, and hurts to comb but also with proper treatment and maintenance like weekly hot oil treatment, weekly deep conditioning and daily moisturizing and sealing with oil, our hair becomes really soft and manageable.
Now with knowledge from other hair gurus on YouTube, Facebook and instagram, we can readjust our mind set to how to maintain our hair by searching on the internet. Relaxed or natural, I believe African hair can grow.
I'm living proof. Been on a healthy hair journey since February. I havent relaxed my hair in 8 months and my hair is amazingly soft and so easy to manipulate.
I might relax ending of this year or just transition to natural in a couple of months. Not sure yet of what to do but my options are limitless.
Re: Why Dont Ladies Use Natural Hair by Nobody: 3:35pm On Nov 03, 2013
um who says we don't?
i am 100 percent natural (a little over a year and counting). cool Going natural was the best decision
i have made in a long time. Being chemical free, my hair is healthy, growing, and I love it!!

There are plenty of women who are natural my dear!!

In fact, check this out!

https://www.nairaland.com/1037444/beauty-natural-hair-thread
Re: Why Dont Ladies Use Natural Hair by Nobody: 6:55pm On Nov 03, 2013
@ poster,..i have been natural for 14 months now (not a single processed hair left as i cut all off) and i must say,..am so proud of my natural hair. I manage my hair at home...no need for all those saloon wahala...and true, so many ladies are going natural these days...if u can be patient enough with ur natural hair,..i tell u..u'll be surprised by d outcome u get.
Peace.
Re: Why Dont Ladies Use Natural Hair by rofemiguwa(f): 8:07am On Nov 04, 2013
All u ladies screaming natural hair biko kindly explain how u style it. Combing new undergrowth is hell.not to talk more of leaving everytin like dt.besides touching ur hair everyday in the name of styling isn't it harmful to hairlength.I wanna grow long hair too but d tot of styling my natural hair everyday.assing comb tru it is so scary.I rather braid or fix weaves and know am gud to go at least for d next 3weeks.please if there are easy routes please kindly suggest to us. Coz all I see is loads of hair stuffs and plenty tinz u have to do to ki the natural hair soft enugh to manage.weekly dis ,weekly dat,egg treatment,pailmoil mixture,ACV,lenty plenty tinz.abeg help a sister with a shortcut whether we fit follow join dis hair journey grin kiss
Re: Why Dont Ladies Use Natural Hair by Adaeze003(f): 9:37am On Nov 04, 2013
Its too much work!

(1) (Reply)

Zimbabwean Girl Who Modeled Her Things Arrested & Charged To Court (see Photos) / Zanotti Sandals / Ony Teez: Wholesale Dri-fit T-shirt Global Manufacturing House

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.