Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,393 members, 7,819,404 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:46 PM

Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? (36526 Views)

Is Purgatory In The Bible? / Is There Anything Like Sinful Haircut? / Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (33) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by donezra(m): 10:47pm On Nov 04, 2013
As for the issue of purgatory, We all know it wasn't mention in the Bible. Yes Purgatory wasn't mention in the Bible.
But it exist. lemme proof it.

2 Macabees 12:46.
It says it is a holy and homsome thought to pray for the dead so that they may be loosed from sin.

The question now is; if someone dies and go to heaven, will there be need for this prayer? I guess NO cuz he is without sin that's why he is in heaven.
Another question. If someone dies and goes to hell, will there be need for this prayer. I think no cuz his sins can't be forgiven in hell.
It is only in this place called Purgatory that his sins can be purged away. It has no specific duration how long you will have to stay there. It is by our prayer that there souls are librated.
That was the significance of the All Souls day which was celebrated on Saturday.

1 Like

Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by donezra(m): 11:00pm On Nov 04, 2013
My happiness is that these mushroom churches that critizes Catholic church are now coming back to imitate us. we have existed for more than three thousand years. They say how can we eat the body and drink the blood of Christ. Now these Churches with one door and window are doing same. Hahahaha very soon your 6 month
I.T pastors will bring in the Stature of Mary into ur church and then rebrain u'all to accept it.

8 Likes

Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by SalC: 11:03pm On Nov 04, 2013
amara.lizzy%40y:
I strongly believe that there is nothing like purgatory,is either hell fire or heaven. Some people said if you commit sin and die you go to purgatory and do six months frog jump before you enter heaven that is a pure lie.
Why open a thread with lies.

1 Like

Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by sixone: 11:18pm On Nov 04, 2013
donezra: My happiness is that these mushroom churches that critizes Catholic church are now coming back to imitate us. we have existed for more than three thousand years. They say how can we eat the body and drink the blood of Christ. Now these Churches with one door and window are doing same. Hahahaha very soon your 6 month
I.T pastors will bring in the Stature of Mary into ur church and then rebrain u'all to accept it.

Christ died just a little over 2000 years ago yet you open your wide mouth and spew such rubbish. Na only more than 3000 years una don de exist? Very soon una go say na catholic God and the angels de attend before creation.

2 Likes

Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by JonesK: 11:23pm On Nov 04, 2013
obadiah777: i was quite shocked that the demons in that thread saw nothing wrong with one man owning 60 billion dollars while the rest of the world is starving ? they said i had a poverty mentality. those demons have the mark of the beast and they would get destroyed in this armageddon if they remain like that tongue
Link to the thread please
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by purpinkx(m): 11:23pm On Nov 04, 2013
donezra:

We don't worship her. We adore her.
This is because She intercedes for us to the Father.

I know your believe won't let you
no one comes unto the father except through me !
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by adsonstone: 11:31pm On Nov 04, 2013
donezra:

I know your believe won't let you agree with me but let me give u an instance.

If u love ur mom so much and it happens u r the Governor of a state. Now someone from the masses tries to see u to ask for a favour or has met u once for a favour but u are busy to grant it. Or he has done something bad in the past for that you don't want to grant his favour.
This man now goes to ur mom and pleaded with her to help u talk to her son on ur behave. This your mom who have a good heart agrees and comes to u with the young man's plea. After calling u all the sweet names and making u happy, she succeeded in making u to grant that man his favour.

Now, that is exactly what happens u when we adore Mary and ask her to intercedes for us.
Another perfect example can be found in the wedding in Canaan.

Your analogy fails terribly.
Why?
Reason: God is not a man, He can never be deceived or lured to do something.

Okay?

2 Likes

Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by sixone: 11:38pm On Nov 04, 2013
[quote author=donezra]

For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus; 1 Timothy 2:5

now how does mary intercede for man? Hillarious

1 Like

Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by adsonstone: 11:41pm On Nov 04, 2013
As for the topic;

I thank God I'm not vunerable to cheap and evil deceit of darkness!

@Italo and other catholic brothers, the topic is open for a biblical debate if you dont mind. Show interest by answering these two simple questions if you believe in purgatory.

1. What happens to the people in purgatory afterwards (are they all heaven bound)?
2. If they are heaven bound, who releases them into heaven and when is or will this be done?
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by Adaeze003(f): 11:41pm On Nov 04, 2013
Sal C: Are you implying someone who lived and sinned in this generation should reincarnate and live in the next generation to be forgiven?

Lmao!!! Post of the day!
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by Sunnynedu: 11:53pm On Nov 04, 2013
purgatory of a thing is a full package of deception and blainwashing,

1 Like

Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by Revolva(m): 11:54pm On Nov 04, 2013
amara.lizzy%40y:
I strongly believe that there is nothing like purgatory,is either hell fire or heaven. Some people said if you commit sin and die you go to purgatory and do six months frog jump before you enter heaven that is a pure lie.

i always keep laughing about these myths...heaven hell purgatory....all are false..they never existed ok
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by ProfChris10(m): 11:59pm On Nov 04, 2013
where did the message of purgatory originates from? Truth be told, I see this as one of satan's strategy to make man believe there is still hope even while continuing in sin. But shall we continue in sin that grace may abound? What was the purpose of Christ coming into the world, are you saying Christ blood was not able to save that sinner that comes to Him in true repentance? It is appointed unto man once to die, and after that judgement. Heb10:12 But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down in the right hand of God in verse 18 it says, "now where remission of these is, there is no more offering for sin. My brothers and sisters Christ has paid the final sacrifice for sins, no amount of prayers can save a sinner after death, now is the time.

4 Likes

Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by try69: 12:02am On Nov 05, 2013
You say God look at the heart

You see your brother make a gesture

You accuse him of idolatory

He tells you he doesn't mean that

You say that's what his heart means

You have judged

You are now God the ultimate judge

#i know some don't know what inference is, that's what I just did #LOGIC #REASON

Even people that cannot construct simple english or know no history now interprete bible

1 Like

Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by italo: 12:07am On Nov 05, 2013
amara.lizzy%40y:
In d world to come mean anoda generation afta dis generation and nt purgatory. So ur bible quotatn did nt correspd wit purgatory. take it or live it notin lyk purgatory.

In the world to come NEVER means another generation.

You see that you cannot handle truth.

In the world to come is surely the life after death.

Sins can neither be forgiven in heaven nor hell.

Only in purgatory!

What about 1 Cor 3:15?

Where is it talking about? Another generation? grin

2 Likes

Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by slimikenna(m): 12:09am On Nov 05, 2013
@op, I know that nothing will ever make me become a penticostal christian so I dont come to NL to start a thread titled 'Is repeating blablablashakarabaraba speaking in tongues? lets learn to respect other people's religion. i hate boko boys but i still respect muslims and their beliefs. respect is reciprocal. and yes i believe purgatory exists.

1 Like

Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by SalC: 12:10am On Nov 05, 2013
ProfChris10: where did the message of purgatory originates from? Truth be told, I see this as one of satan's strategy to make man believe there is still hope even while continuing in sin. But shall we continue in sin that grace may abound? What was the purpose of Christ coming into the world, are you saying Christ blood was not able to save that sinner that comes to Him in true repentance? It is appointed unto man once to die, and after that judgement. Heb10:12 But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down in the right hand of God in verse 18 it says, "now where remission of these is, there is no more offering for sin. My brothers and sisters Christ has paid the final sacrifice for sins, no amount of prayers can save a sinner after death, now is the time.
You seem not to even understand what purgatory is all about. It is not meant for those who willingly continue to live perpetually in sin but for those who are sincerely making effort to live holy, but for the sake of human weaknesses; are guilty of venial sin.

If truth must be told, your faith alone gospel compel people to live habitually in sin more compared to the teachings of purgatory.

2 Likes

Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by Nobody: 12:13am On Nov 05, 2013
Ediss: Do u mean am in purgatory now . So Africa is the purgatory? Jesusssss so am dead is Israel and now in purgatory in Africa. This is serious oooh. Meaning GEJ and all these rich Africans are in purgatory? What a nice purgatory
GEJ and the rich africans belong in the category of people called the two thirds. these people will be killed and destroyed because they refused to get purged. they are more into their carnal pursuits. our purpose in africa is to get purged but the way of the wicked has seduced many of us away from our purpose of being brought to africa. so believe it or not anyone who you see enjoying themselves in africa today who is not mournful and sorrowful and humble will be destroyed. those are the ones who refuse to be purged

zechariah 13 vs 8 And it shall come to pass, that in all the land, saith the LORD, two parts therein shall be cut off and die; but the third shall be left therein.And I will bring the third part through the fire, and will refine them as silver is refined, and will try them as gold is tried: they shall call on my name, and I will hear them: I will say, It is my people: and they shall say, The LORD is my God.

zephaniah 3 11 In that day shalt thou not be ashamed for all thy doings, wherein thou hast transgressed against me: for then I will take away out of the midst of thee them that rejoice in thy pride, and thou shalt no more be haughty because of my holy mountain. I will also leave in the midst of thee an afflicted and poor people, and they shall trust in the name of the Lord.

2 Likes

Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by SalC: 12:15am On Nov 05, 2013
italo:

In the world to come NEVER means another generation.

You see that you cannot handle truth.

In the world to come is surely the life after death.

Sins can neither be forgiven in heaven nor hell.

Only in purgatory!

What about 1 Cor 3:15?

Where is it talking about? Another generation? grin
Don't worry bro, she will soon start preaching reincarnation all in a bid to discredit the teachings of purgatory.
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by italo: 12:15am On Nov 05, 2013
passion007:

Italo, good job! Unfortunately, your co-debaters are either foulmouthed or frivolous.

Your argument is flawless, and I can see how you aimed to bring the answers from Amara but she's awfully tetchy, and would rather spit fire than answer your queries.

Thanks. Unfortunately, that's what we're lumped up with. It is refreshing to know that there are still people who believe in reason.
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by Nobody: 12:15am On Nov 05, 2013
JonesK:
Link to the thread please
tis being a while back bros lol. not sure i can find it. like 6 months ago or so
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by skydeexie(m): 12:27am On Nov 05, 2013
In summary, having considered the purgatory debate, one can safely conclude that there is not much difference between the Catholic Faith and the Islamic religion. Islam teaches the same thing as in everybody will first of all go to hell. Prophet Mohammed (PBUH) teaches that Allah will cherry pick from Hell whomever he wants saved to go to heaven. I have stirred the hornest net and I might as well run for it. This is a debate for another day. Meanwhile, I thoroughly enjoyed all attempts at cajoling, derailing and forcing the Op to agree that there is a purgatory.
If SINS CANNOT be wiped out NOW until in some imagined future purgatory, then Jesus BLOOD, DEATH and RESURRECTION was a FARCE, a COMPLETE and TOTAL WASTE OF TIME on the side of Almighty God.

The King of Kings and Lord of Lords gave a resounding victorious cry on the cross of calvary - IT IS FINISHED!!! "There is a fountain filled with blood drawn from Emmanuel's veins, and sinners plunged beneath that flood loose all their guilty stains....."

3 Likes

Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by freeradical(m): 12:27am On Nov 05, 2013
ProfChris10: where did the message of purgatory originates from? Truth be told, I see this as one of satan's strategy to make man believe there is still hope even while continuing in sin. But shall we continue in sin that grace may abound? What was the purpose of Christ coming into the world, are you saying Christ blood was not able to save that sinner that comes to Him in true repentance? It is appointed unto man once to die, and after that judgement. Heb10:12 But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down in the right hand of God in verse 18 it says, "now where remission of these is, there is no more offering for sin. My brothers and sisters Christ has paid the final sacrifice for sins, no amount of prayers can save a sinner after death, now is the time.
You protestants are very funny with all your holier dan thou attitude. When the church that has the authority of Christ teaches you outta sheer pride you refuse to learn. God says that our holiness is like a filthy rag before him. If not for Christ's sacrifice on the cross none of us will ever enter heaven. That to show you that indeed nothing defiled shall enter heaven. Purgatory is a place or state borne outta the mercy of God because NO ONE is holy enough to enter heaven by himself. Even your pastor cannot claim he is fit. The bible says..."if you O'Lord will mark our guilt, who will survive but with you is found forgiveness for this we revere you." Nobody is trying to make purgatory because if you even think of that you will surely end up in hell. Any catholic that doesnt know this is only fooling himself. We all aspire to make heaven but we know that we cannot by ourselves so we rely on the mercy and saving power of God to get to heaven. Its as if you pple have alredi made up ur minds not to listen by quoting stupid scriptures that has no relevance to the topic. Listen now and learn because weda u bliv or not purgatory exists.

6 Likes

Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by italo: 12:36am On Nov 05, 2013
adsonstone: As for the topic;

I thank God I'm not vunerable to cheap and evil deceit of darkness!

@Italo and other catholic brothers, the topic is open for a biblical debate if you dont mind. Show interest by answering these two simple questions if you believe in purgatory.

1. What happens to the people in purgatory afterwards (are they all heaven bound)?
2. If they are heaven bound, who releases them into heaven and when is or will this be done?

Everyone in purgatory is heaven bound.

God releases them sometime between their particular judgement when they are sent to purgatory and the general judgement when all those in purgatory are received into heaven.

You see how clearly I answered your questions?

Now please answer me the same way.

Matt. 12:32 - And whosoever shall speak a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but he that shall speak against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, nor in the world to come.

That verse clearly shows that there are some other sins that can be forgiven in the world to come.

Since there's no forgivess in heaven or hell, where in the world to come are sins forgiven?

1 Cor 3:15 - If any man's work burn, he shall suffer loss; but he himself shall be saved, yet so as by fire.

Where is this that people suffer loss and are saved as by fire?
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by ProfChris10(m): 12:38am On Nov 05, 2013
Sal C: You seem not to even understand what purgatory is all about. It is not meant for those who willing continue to live perpetually in sin but for those whose are sincerely making effort to live holy, but for the sake of human weaknesses; are guilty of venial sin.

If truth must be told, your faith alone gospel compel people to live habitually in sin more compared to the teachings of purgatory.
I am a witness to this, Paul was saying something similar in Rom7:15-24, but in 25 he finally understands the mystery of it all, and it was this same Paul that fought the good fight of faith, he was able to endure till death, the secret is in Christ Jesus, I'm a witness to this, I have tried my power to live righteous but it didn't work, one still finds himself doing what he doesn't like, but thanks be to God, through Christ, you become dead to sin, you no longer have the desires, even when temptation comes Jesus is able to keep us from falling. my point is that we should not put hope in a purgatory, pray God to keep you spotless and blameless, Christ is coming for a spotless and blameless church, without wrinkle. Sometimes the truth is bitter, Nothing unholy shall enter therein, How shall we escape if we neglect so great a salvation. Though we all are entitled to our own believes. Stay blessed.
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by Penboy: 12:44am On Nov 05, 2013
Will you guys be humble enough to know the truth about purgatory?? Is purgatory found in the bible or is it another doctrine of man?? 1 tim 4 vs 3-5. What is the origin of purgatory?? Satan once told your fore grandparents : "is it really true that you will after eating this fruit? You will be like God." Today, he has twisted that same lie to we, Adam's grandchildren by saying : 'Youre grandparents didnt die, they just went to enjoy somewhere or suffer somewhere as the case maybe"! Ezekel 18 vs 4 say's : a soul that is sinning, it itself will die. <not go to purgatory>. Does the teaching of purgatory underscore's jesus teaching of resurrection as found at john 5 vs 28,29? The wages of sin is death, not life inside purgatory. When God told Adam : 'from dust you came and to dust you'll return, was there water in his mouth? Or was Adam not the first sinner?

3 Likes

Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by italo: 12:46am On Nov 05, 2013
adsonstone:

Your analogy fails terribly.
Why?
Reason: God is not a man, He can never be deceived or lured to do something.

Okay?

No. It doesn't fail.

John 2:3 - And the wine failing, the mother of Jesus saith to him: They have no wine.4 - And Jesus saith to her: Woman, what is that to me and to thee? my hour is not yet come.

Jesus -God clearly said it wasnt the appointed time by God for Jesus - God to reveal his glory.

Yet Jesus - God went ahead and did just that at the request of his mother Mary.

But then, this thread is about purgatory. Some people are trying to deviate because they can't answer the questions we ask about purgatory.
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by italo: 12:53am On Nov 05, 2013
Penboy: Will you guys be humble enough to know the truth about purgatory?? Is purgatory found in the bible or is it another doctrine of man?? 1 tim 4 vs 3-5. What is the origin of purgatory?? Satan once told your fore grandparents : "is it really true that you will after eating this fruit? You will be like God." Today, he has twisted that same lie to we, Adam's grandchildren by saying : 'Youre grandparents didnt die, they just went to enjoy somewhere or suffer somewhere as the case maybe"! Ezekel 18 vs 4 say's : a soul that is sinning, it itself will die. <not go to purgatory>. Does the teaching of purgatory underscore's jesus teaching of resurrection as found at john 5 vs 28,29? The wages of sin is death, not life inside purgatory. When God told Adam : 'from dust you came and to dust you'll return, was there water in his mouth? Or was Adam not the first sinner?

Purgatory is not for those with sins that lead to death.

Purgatory is for those whose sins do not lead to death.

1 John 5:16 - He that knoweth his brother to sin a sin which is not to death, let him ask, and life shall be given to him, who sinneth not to death. There is a sin unto death: for that I say not that any man ask.

These people's sins dont lead to death but they need purgation to enter heaven.

You need to first understand purgatory before you argue against it.
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by skydeexie(m): 12:56am On Nov 05, 2013
I have a few questions for the 'purgatarians':
1. Did Jesus ever taught purgatory even remotely or alluded to the fact of its existence?
2. The dying thief who asked the Lord Jesus Christ for pardon and to remember him in His coming kingdom, is he in purgatory now?
3. Where are Moses, Elijah and all the other prophets of old, are they in purgatory including Mary the mother of our Lord?
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by Nobody: 1:00am On Nov 05, 2013
obadiah777: we in hell brother. tis getting better though cuz we at the end lol
Behold The False Prophet himself
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by italo: 1:01am On Nov 05, 2013
purpinkx: no one comes unto the father except through me !

Yes, yes, dear friend. We Catholics believe that. But we have a question.

Q 1: How did the couple at the wedding in Cana get to the Father.

Our answer: Through Jesus.

Q 2: How did they get to Jesus?

Your answer? Through _ _ _ _. (Fill in the gaps)

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (33) (Reply)

Illuminati Killed Ebony Reigns - Evangelist Emmanuel Addai Reveals (video) / Pastor Adeboye Prays For The Ooni Adeyeye-Ogunwusi At His Palace (photos) / Apostle Johnson Suleman Forgives Stephanie Otobo, Reverses All Curses Laid On

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.