Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,739 members, 7,809,832 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:40 PM

2,422 Killed And 11,961 Injured In Road Accidents From Jan - June – FRSC - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 2,422 Killed And 11,961 Injured In Road Accidents From Jan - June – FRSC (5809 Views)

6 Dead,many Injured In Multiple Car Crash In Lagos [photo] / BRT Bus Involved In Road Accident / Nasty effects of road accidents (caution very graphic and potentially offensive images)! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

2,422 Killed And 11,961 Injured In Road Accidents From Jan - June – FRSC by Codedrock(m): 6:35am On Nov 04, 2013
No fewer than 2,422 persons were killed and 11,961 injured in 3,708 road accidents between January and June of this year, according to a half-year report by the Federal Road Safety Corps.

This, according to the corps, indicated that road crashes had increased due to over-speeding by drivers.

Corps commandant in charge of public education, Jonah Agwu, who briefed newsmen in Abuja on Friday, said that the FRSC had commenced ‘Operation Octopus’ to stem the rising rate of road crashes in some road corridors across the country.

He said the operation which commenced last Friday, would involve 136 patrol vehicles, 32 ambulances,11 tow trucks,38 bikes and 2,605 personnel.

Agwu added that the exercise would hold in various routes including Kaduna-Kakau-Kateri-Sabon Wuse; Kaduna-Zaria; Chiromawa-Zaria.

Others are Ibadan-Ife-Ilesha; Ibadan-Ogunmakin-Ogere; Ibadan-Oyo-Ogbomoso;Lokoja-Abaji; Lokoja-Zariagi-Okene; Abuja-Abaji;Abuja-Suleja-Sabon Wuse and Benin-Asaba; Benin-Auchi; Onitsha-Owerri.

“The exercise will also hold on Jos-Hawan Kibo-Forest; Keffi-Akwanga-Forest; Akwanga-Lafia-Makurdi; and Jos-Toro-Bauchi roads,” he said.

Agwu said that the operation would involve public enlightenment, mobile speed control, mobile courts to address speed violation, over-loading and seatbelt use violation.

http://www.punchng.com/news/accidents-claim-2422-lives-in-six-months-frsc/
Re: 2,422 Killed And 11,961 Injured In Road Accidents From Jan - June – FRSC by Codedrock(m): 9:11am On Nov 04, 2013
Re: 2,422 Killed And 11,961 Injured In Road Accidents From Jan - June – FRSC by Olugbenger(m): 9:21am On Nov 04, 2013
This, according to the corps,
indicated that road crashes had
increased due to over-speeding by
drivers.
pls which over speeding are they talking about?
Is it the one that motorists engage in during traffic jam or on the pot holes infested roads?
It is very disheartening that public office holders can still attribute the major cause of road crashes to be over speeding.
Just imagine the relative number of human lives wasted and destinies cut short by severe injuries.
Worse is that these figures are even official, implying greater havocs have occured just this year alone.
Fix the damn roads and stop giving silly excuses for ur shortcomings.
angry angry angry angry angry

5 Likes

Re: 2,422 Killed And 11,961 Injured In Road Accidents From Jan - June – FRSC by Nobody: 9:23am On Nov 04, 2013
EMBER MONTHS TINS
Re: 2,422 Killed And 11,961 Injured In Road Accidents From Jan - June – FRSC by simongonner: 9:24am On Nov 04, 2013
Pathetic...
Re: 2,422 Killed And 11,961 Injured In Road Accidents From Jan - June – FRSC by Nobody: 9:28am On Nov 04, 2013
na wa oh! too much in so short a space of time...first to comment and first time in comment box
Re: 2,422 Killed And 11,961 Injured In Road Accidents From Jan - June – FRSC by nerodenero: 9:29am On Nov 04, 2013
Aside bad roads that contribute to accident at times, over-speeding by drivers on our highways can be controlled if Government can provide patrol vehicles that has a tracking device which can determine if a driver exceeds speed limit. Such vehicle could be traced or followed and forced to pay fine as it is obtained in advanced countries. This is not too much for the government to do.
Re: 2,422 Killed And 11,961 Injured In Road Accidents From Jan - June – FRSC by AroOkigbo(m): 9:29am On Nov 04, 2013
Codedrock: .
I give it to Olugbenger. You can't start a thread and book the "first to comment" with your dot.
Back to the topic, I think FRSC is good at statistics.
More awareness is required since we know that the govt. won't repair our roads...even if they do!
Re: 2,422 Killed And 11,961 Injured In Road Accidents From Jan - June – FRSC by kinharold(m): 9:36am On Nov 04, 2013
Please, let me ask; I pray I get a good answer cos I really don't understand it myself.

Accidental deaths are highly regrettable but sometimes i wonder why there is so much fuss about plane crash and deaths?, NASS will probe it, the presidency will be involved, Airline is banded, sometimes minister and some other high level office holders loose their job. Government gives out huge bailout funds for the aviation industry.

On the other hand, deaths in road accidents in a year is in Thousands. The above figure of 2,422 is just for 6 months not the whole year yet. That means we have about 400 deaths every month on road accidents and nothing much is being done about it. In about the same week of the Associated Airline crash that killed about 13 persons, the boat accidents on the River Niger killed scores of persons including 29 women but nothing was head about it after that day.

Hope it is not because air passengers/victims are most-likely of the rich class.

1 Like

Re: 2,422 Killed And 11,961 Injured In Road Accidents From Jan - June – FRSC by sarutobie(m): 9:40am On Nov 04, 2013
Olugbenger:
Is it the one that motorists engage in during traffic jam or on the pot holes infested roads?
It is very disheartening that public office holders can still attribute the major cause of road crashes to be over speeding.
Just imagine the relative number of human lives wasted and destinies cut short by severe injuries.
Worse is that these figures are even official, implying greater havocs have occured just this year alone.
A lot of roads in the country are in dire need of repair but ask yourself this..on which of the roads will a driver want to test his speeding limit on? A pothole infested road or a smooth one? I will say the latter..
Re: 2,422 Killed And 11,961 Injured In Road Accidents From Jan - June – FRSC by SoniaUK(f): 9:42am On Nov 04, 2013
kinharold: Please, let me ask; I pray I get a good answer cos I really don't understand it myself.

Accidental deaths are highly regrettable but sometimes i wonder why there is so much fuss about plane crash and deaths?, NASS will probe it, the presidency will be involved, Airline is banded, sometimes minister and some other high level office holders loose their job. Government gives out huge bailout funds for the aviation industry.

On the other hand, deaths in road accidents in a year is in Thousands. The above figure of 2,422 is just for 6 months not the whole year yet. That means we have about 400 deaths every month on road accidents and nothing much is being done about it. In about the same week of the Associated Airline crash that killed about 13 persons, the boat accidents on the River Niger killed scores of persons including 29 women but nothing was head about it after that day.

Hope it is not because air passengers/victims are most-likely of the rich class.
yes u re rite GBAMM
Re: 2,422 Killed And 11,961 Injured In Road Accidents From Jan - June – FRSC by ow11(m): 10:00am On Nov 04, 2013
Olugbenger:

From your posts it is obvious that you do not travel on the highways.. Yes the roads are bad but how does that excuse a driver going at 120kmh on a single carriage road with potholes? Is that not foolishness and lack of ownership....it is so sweet to blame everyone but yourself when bad things happen.

There are many threads on nairaland glorifying overspeeding on our very dangerous roads and even in Abuja and in lekki, Nigerians continue to die because even though the roads are good, the need to speed is greater than the need to stay alive.

On the other hand, the FRSC needs to put up more road signs on the highways and stop chatting shit....they are Nigerians and are not responsible for fixing roads but they can make signage to alert drivers on dangerous spots on the highways.... Even pothole signs until such a time that the roads are fixed.

...the crackdown however should have special focus on commercial drivers as these are the daredevils that continue to kill people in the name of making an extra buck

2 Likes

Re: 2,422 Killed And 11,961 Injured In Road Accidents From Jan - June – FRSC by nameo: 10:01am On Nov 04, 2013
Still too unacceptably high
Re: 2,422 Killed And 11,961 Injured In Road Accidents From Jan - June – FRSC by nnocurruption: 10:18am On Nov 04, 2013
imagine the nonsense 2422 and I am sure the numbers is far greater than that, and gej is out there doing burials with public funds wasting scarce resources look at how fat is son is and how big that illiterate pumpki is last lady punk ass dumb empty head president they don't even care about education anymore.

1 Like

Re: 2,422 Killed And 11,961 Injured In Road Accidents From Jan - June – FRSC by Aromas: 10:28am On Nov 04, 2013
Olugbenger:

Wot is d essences of fixing d road and yet d rate of speed dos not reduce, I c no reasons why you don't just think with dat your black head b4 commenting!!!!!
What as government do with dis1 now?? 2years back we know the state of road in our country.

1 Like

Re: 2,422 Killed And 11,961 Injured In Road Accidents From Jan - June – FRSC by Dannylux: 10:34am On Nov 04, 2013
lipsrsealed
Re: 2,422 Killed And 11,961 Injured In Road Accidents From Jan - June – FRSC by sarutobie(m): 10:36am On Nov 04, 2013
ow11:

From your posts it is obvious that you do not travel on the highways.. Yes the roads are bad but how does that excuse a driver going at 120kmh on a single carriage road with potholes? Is that not foolishness and lack of ownership....it is so sweet to blame everyone but yourself when bad things happen.

There are many threads on nairaland glorifying overspeeding on our very dangerous roads and even in Abuja and in lekki, Nigerians continue to die because even though the roads are good, the need to speed is greater than the need to stay alive.

On the other hand, the FRSC needs to put up more road signs on the highways and stop chatting shit....they are Nigerians and are not responsible for fixing roads but they can make signage to alert drivers on dangerous spots on the highways.... Even pothole signs until such a time that the roads are fixed.

...the crackdown however should have special focus on commercial drivers as these are the daredevils that continue to kill people in the name of making an extra buck
Couldn't have said it better.These daredevil drivers are the worst type(where dem dey rush go I no sabi) if he isn't trying to overtake a speeding heavy duty vehicle on a narrow lane,he is tussling with his fellow driver on who has the faster bus.This is where FRSC is seriously lagging because most of these drivers did not go to driving schools(so how will they even be able to read road signs)..many of them overload their vehicles and still get past the policemen and road safety personnels on the road with 'small small' egunje here and there..FRSC need to step up their game,create awareness and stamp their foot down firmly on motorists who fail to adhere to safety laws on the road..
Re: 2,422 Killed And 11,961 Injured In Road Accidents From Jan - June – FRSC by nairaman66(m): 10:46am On Nov 04, 2013
Jesus! Nigerian Roads=Death Traps!

Appalling.. In just half a year?? Oh God!! cry
Re: 2,422 Killed And 11,961 Injured In Road Accidents From Jan - June – FRSC by obailala(m): 11:00am On Nov 04, 2013
Olugbenger:

I totally disagree with ur assertion above.. The FRSC is right on this one... Overspeeding and grossly irresponsible driving is the primary cause of 80% of the accidents in Nigeria...

Is it not in Nigeria u see commercial drivers making a trip from lagos to abuja and back the same day (speed must be involved)??
Is it not in Nigeria u see drivers drinking kai kai before a journey to 'clear their eyes' (talk of foolishness)??
Is it not in Nigeria u see drivers increasing their speed to 'fly' across potholes??
Is it not in Nigeria that even a dead goat can secure a driving license??
Is it not in Nigeria that vehicles cruise at over 140km/hr?... do we even have a highway speed limit in the country??... even if we do, our leaders are the first to break the rules.

If the roads are riddled with potholes, a sensible driver should slow down... but the opposite is the case in Nigeria.. u see vehicles cruising at over 140km/hr on pothole riddled roads, dangerous bridges and bends etc (no reasonable country allows up to that speed on its highways)... when disaster occurs, every one screams 'bad road'.. I beg to differ, the culprit is bad driving... unfortunately the bad drivers put every other driver at risk and everyone becomes a victim..

2 Likes

Re: 2,422 Killed And 11,961 Injured In Road Accidents From Jan - June – FRSC by Nobody: 11:05am On Nov 04, 2013
"Operation Octopus"... Lol
Re: 2,422 Killed And 11,961 Injured In Road Accidents From Jan - June – FRSC by CaptainPhilip(m): 11:17am On Nov 04, 2013
the word ACCIDENT means something that is not meant to happen but did happen..

So it can be 100% avoided that is if they (the government) want to.

Nothing works in this part of the world so needless draining my battery saying much. .

Nairalanders shall not die by accident in Jesus name. ...

.****you know what to do to claim it***
Re: 2,422 Killed And 11,961 Injured In Road Accidents From Jan - June – FRSC by gen2briz(m): 11:21am On Nov 04, 2013
How many politicians and political office holder?
Re: 2,422 Killed And 11,961 Injured In Road Accidents From Jan - June – FRSC by Olugbenger(m): 11:44am On Nov 04, 2013
Aromas:

Wot is d essences of fixing d road and yet d rate of speed dos not reduce, I c no reasons why you don't just think with dat your black head b4 commenting!!!!!
What as government do with dis1 now?? 2years back we know the state of road in our country.
You have serious comprehension problems associated with limited reasoning.
Whose fault is it that bad roads still exist?
Whose fault is it that unqualified individuals and illiterates get driving license so easily?
Do u folks reason at all?
Re: 2,422 Killed And 11,961 Injured In Road Accidents From Jan - June – FRSC by Olugbenger(m): 11:51am On Nov 04, 2013
obailala:

I totally disagree with ur assertion above.. The FRSC is right on this one... Overspeeding and grossly irresponsible driving is the primary cause of 80% of the accidents in Nigeria...

Is it not in Nigeria u see commercial drivers making a trip from lagos to abuja and back the same day (speed must be involved)??
Is it not in Nigeria u see drivers drinking kai kai before a journey to 'clear their eyes' (talk of foolishness)??
Is it not in Nigeria u see drivers increasing their speed to 'fly' across potholes??
Is it not in Nigeria that even a dead goat can secure a driving license??
Is it not in Nigeria that vehicles cruise at over 140km/hr?... do we even have a highway speed limit in the country??... even if we do, our leaders are the first to break the rules.

If the roads are riddled with potholes, a sensible driver should slow down... but the opposite is the case in Nigeria.. u see vehicles cruising at over 140km/hr on pothole riddled roads, dangerous bridges and bends etc (no reasonable country allows up to that speed on its highways)... when disaster occurs, every one screams 'bad road'.. I beg to differ, the culprit is bad driving... unfortunately the bad drivers put every other driver at risk and everyone becomes a victim..
So you mean we should not blame the Government for bad roads but we confront the average Nigerian commercial driver who is described as a weed smoker or drunkard according to ur silly statements.
Whose responsiblity is it to create and repair road?
who fault is it that even a goat can obtain a driver's license?

Whose fault is that Government agencies such as the FRSC fail to implement standard speed limits on roads and keep failing to prosecute violators?
Do u reason properly at all?
Re: 2,422 Killed And 11,961 Injured In Road Accidents From Jan - June – FRSC by Adesola111(m): 11:57am On Nov 04, 2013
[color=#000099][/color] in dis 9ja,GOD help
Re: 2,422 Killed And 11,961 Injured In Road Accidents From Jan - June – FRSC by adexsimply(m): 12:59pm On Nov 04, 2013
nnocurruption: imagine the nonsense 2422 and I am sure the numbers is far greater than that, and gej is out there doing burials with public funds wasting scarce resources look at how fat is son is and how big that illiterate pumpki is last lady punk ass dumb empty head president they don't even care about education anymore.

When will you realize this method is not working?

1 Like

Re: 2,422 Killed And 11,961 Injured In Road Accidents From Jan - June – FRSC by nwaobitex: 1:16pm On Nov 04, 2013
*sad*
Re: 2,422 Killed And 11,961 Injured In Road Accidents From Jan - June – FRSC by nwaobitex: 1:19pm On Nov 04, 2013
sad
Re: 2,422 Killed And 11,961 Injured In Road Accidents From Jan - June – FRSC by obailala(m): 2:59pm On Nov 04, 2013
Olugbenger:
So you mean we should not blame the Government for bad roads but we confront the average Nigerian commercial driver who is described as a weed smoker or drunkard according to ur silly statements.
Whose responsiblity is it to create and repair road?
who fault is it that even a goat can obtain a driver's license?

Whose fault is that Government agencies such as the FRSC fail to implement standard speed limits on roads and keep failing to prosecute violators?
Do u reason properly at all?
I think you are the one who needs to be asked the bolded question which u just asked me... Did u read anywhere in my statement where I said the government shouldn't be blamed??

All I simply said was that bad driving is the greatest culprit in road accidents in Nigeria, closely followed by bad roads.. It is then left to whoever is responsible to tackle these issues
Re: 2,422 Killed And 11,961 Injured In Road Accidents From Jan - June – FRSC by Nobody: 3:33pm On Nov 04, 2013
To solve the problem:

1. Stop trailers and petrol tankers from packing on highways at nights

2. Stop the above from moving during the day because they cause holdups.

3. Stop the above moving at all, because these men drive recklessly.

4. Tell ohonba, God is good, aktc, rtc, etc to stop driving above 100.

5. Repair the roads and build alternative routes.

6. Secure the road from thieves.

7. Mobile police shd get a device for checking speedlimits.

8. Stop roadside buses without registration or without a company from doing business.

With this little point of mine. I hope I am able to convince you rather than to confuse you that this few points highlighted will end the numerous deaths on the highways.

Wait! Wait!! Wait!!!

9. Reduce the price of plane ticket sir grin
Re: 2,422 Killed And 11,961 Injured In Road Accidents From Jan - June – FRSC by Nobody: 9:35pm On Nov 04, 2013

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is It Fire Coming From The Exhaust Of This Toyota Or Not? / How Long Does It Take To Charge A Dead Car Battery? / Fine For Buying Fuel In Jerrycan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.