Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,762 members, 7,824,186 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:27 AM

GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria (32264 Views)

Why Was Part Time Programe Not Suspended In Polytechnics. / Newsflash: ASUU Strike Has Been Suspended! / Preparing for GRE (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by bishop4APC: 3:24pm On Nov 08, 2013
solomon111: I am pissed.
This is a problem that is beyond political affiliations.
It's a fundamental and systemic malaise.
Most of these old men in our politics had the chance and rare priviledge to kill corruption in its infancy decades ago,and they didn't.
Now it has become a hydra-headed monster snuffing the life out of our dear country.
I believe God will ask all of us what we've done with the destiny of this potentially great country.
corruption can stil be killed, remember it's not immortal....
Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by signz: 3:27pm On Nov 08, 2013
This is embarrassing embarassed embarassed embarassed.

1 Like

Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by pato405(m): 3:33pm On Nov 08, 2013
MAYOWAAK:

I just cant shake it off my mind that Nigeria is exactly the way the majority of Nigerians want it to be, right now. I have turned it over in my mind time and again and I can clearly see that Nigerians do not innately believe in equality of man or in fair distribution of wealth. Somehow, we are opportunistic in our outlook on life and believe more in stratification, in a social echelon based not on contribution or achievement, but on privileges obtained by almost any means at all. We love a setting where hard work does not necessarily guarantee wealth but where mysterious luck ('favour') intercept the course of things and the unpredictable hands of something called destiny comes to bring sudden, unheard of riches. And it is interesting how this outlook on life has been adopted and incorporated into our standard religious liturgies. Corruption saw this weakness in our world view and snugly wriggled in.

Our society believe there are masters and there are slaves by sine divine arrangement, there are 'heads' that are destined to be great and those bound to be base. These beliefs have no logical, historical, spiritual or humane basis but a synthesis of our selfish attitude and a will to deny others by reducing their rights to mere privileges. Our ancient religions taught this and people were enjoined to court the gods in whose hands is the power to bestow wealth. Fetish practices up to the extent of human sacrifice are still the order of the day in our society all in a bid to supernaturally and unfairly gain mileage over competitors, knowing full well that such advantage could not be secured legally or in good conscience. That same mindset of winning at terrible costs to everyone else has been transplanted into our version of modern faiths and modified into saccharine-coated doctrines, paws of the devouring lions of cruel opportunism in the velvety glows of fine Sunday morning religion.

In all, the average Nigerian is not really against corruption, he is only pissed off that he is not the one who has a chance at the public treasury. Which also explains why he is longsuffering with the problem of corruption and why it is hard to expect a revolution in Nigeria: the people generally do not want the fall of the system. Why destroy a thing that promises such sudden, stupendous wealth when, wish some more patient, it can someday be your turn, even you!

Are you simply fascinated by this obviously plagiarised essay or you lack comprehension of the crux of this thread. There is no modicum of correlation between your post and the subject/topic. Your point lacks the needed constructive and logical link to the debate. It does not come as a suprise that Nigerians are now disenfranchised from taking the exams (TOEFL/GRE). Critical comprehension askills and analytical views to topics are always lacking. The avarage Nigerian student just cant do without 'copying and pasting', claiming to be smart when apparently, they know next to nothing. So annoying angry

2 Likes

Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by imperiouxx(m): 4:24pm On Nov 08, 2013
adexsimply:
Maybe they are giving us the opportunity to develop our country??

@post, this is just... sad

What development of the country are you talking about? Is it students who last tasted lecture almost 4 months ago that will develop it? When it's time, who will recycle those corrupt old guys that got part(s) or all their education outside the country? Credibility is lost, you're here talking about development.
Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by Onegai(f): 4:26pm On Nov 08, 2013
A while back, I was at work, and there was a colleague of mine, and from even up close, you'd swear she was of excellent moral standing, calm and good. She was singing a christian song as we worked and then she broke halfway through her song to turn to us and ask "please do you know where they write GRE on the mainland?". Most people suggested the island, and then she replied "no, I want the mainland. I need someone that can supply me the answers for the exam beforehand. VI location, I'm not sure they would. Someone said the Ikeja one he got complete answers to the test before". Then she turned back to her computer screen and christian song.

The only good, non-corrupt Nigerian is a dead or an unborn Nigerian. Just forget morals, ethics or anything. I'm glad they're scrapping the exam.

9 Likes

Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by Ogeam(m): 4:27pm On Nov 08, 2013
dotcrypto: Please, are PMI certification exams, PMP, included?

Yes! You have the option of writing your exam in a neighbouring country(Ghana)

1 Like

Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by buchibabe: 4:27pm On Nov 08, 2013
Afam4eva:
Toefl is just meant to test your knowledge of the English langiage and is not really used for admission. Infact, some schools can waive it if you tell them you're from Commonwealth Nigeria or they ascertain that you don't need the exam.

Well i dnt even know d diff btwn toefl and IELTS,but i know IELTS is used to gain admission in skool o ,esp in uk.because Wen i wanted to gain admission in uk,i took d exams at london school of commerce( because i was in uk at dat time) and dey told me it was compulsory, even after hearing me blow my queens english,

1 Like

Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by misterseed(m): 4:30pm On Nov 08, 2013
The greatest problem we have is the urge to garner societal acclaim. Nigerians spoil every good thing and make it hard for themselves and others. It is amazing.
Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by Revolva(m): 4:32pm On Nov 08, 2013
well i amsure many nigerias go don do runs tire.....hahaha... grin grin grin especially all this our senators pikin.....what a nation

2 Likes

Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by pgiddy(m): 4:36pm On Nov 08, 2013
Is IELTS also included?
Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by Ogeam(m): 4:37pm On Nov 08, 2013
[quote author=Onegai]A while back, I was at work, and there was a colleague of mine, and from even up close, you'd swear she was of excellent moral standing, calm and good. She was singing a christian song as we worked and then she broke halfway through her song to turn to us and ask "please do you know where they write GRE on the mainland?". Most people suggested the island, and then she replied "no, I want the mainland. I need someone that can supply me the answers for the exam beforehand. VI location, I

It may be true that finding people of high moral standard is near impossible but that doesn't mean they don't exist. The problem of depravity is human problem not nigerians alone & religiousity does not necessarily means uprightness though that's how it ought to be.That aside, there are still many well meaning unbending morally tall nigerians that cant stand the sight sight of gross decadence we witness everyday everywhere in this nation.
Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by akereconfi: 4:38pm On Nov 08, 2013
Onegai: A while back, I was at work, and there was a colleague of mine, and from even up close, you'd swear she was of excellent moral standing, calm and good. She was singing a christian song as we worked and then she broke halfway through her song to turn to us and ask "please do you know where they write GRE on the mainland?". Most people suggested the island, and then she replied "no, I want the mainland. I need someone that can supply me the answers for the exam beforehand. VI location, I'm not sure they would. Someone said the Ikeja one he got complete answers to the test before". Then she turned back to her computer screen and christian song.

The only good, non-corrupt Nigerian is a dead or an unborn Nigerian. Just forget morals, ethics or anything. I'm glad they're scrapping the exam.

My friend, there are still good Nigerians, you think it's every exam that you can CHEAT Go and try IELTS or TOEFL, you go know how far

3 Likes

Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by akereconfi: 4:41pm On Nov 08, 2013
buchibabe:

Well i dnt even know d diff btwn toefl and IELTS,but i know IELTS is used to gain admission in skool o ,esp in uk.because Wen i wanted to gain admission in uk,i took d exams at london school of commerce( because i was in uk at dat time) and dey told me it was compulsory, even after hearing me blow my queens english,

the way you talk make me wanna laugh
Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by Oludrex(m): 4:41pm On Nov 08, 2013
Keneking: How come all this bad news are setting in during Jonathan's time. God bless us . Amen

Can someone just do without goin political.. Last time I checked,Jonathan has not been writin Toefl.. Haba
Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by Oludrex(m): 4:42pm On Nov 08, 2013
Keneking: How come all this bad news are setting in during Jonathan's time. God bless us . Amen

Can someone just do without goin political.. Last time I checked,Jonathan is not the one cheatin in the exam hall
. Haba
Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by akereconfi: 4:42pm On Nov 08, 2013
pgiddy: Is IELTS also included?

I guess you read the Topic of the THREAD before you made this comment
Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:58pm On Nov 08, 2013
nora544: The test from the british coucil is the same than the tofle and for all countries in europa and you can still make this test in nigeria.

I have an other question why it is so hard for nigerians to make this test because when you realy know english very good than it is no problem.
OMG! Whariisdis??
And to think he tought he knows the language so welll??

1 Like

Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by Onyenna(m): 5:00pm On Nov 08, 2013
nora544: The test from the british coucil is the same than the tofle and for all countries in europa and you can still make this test in nigeria.

I have an other question why it is so hard for nigerians to make this test because when you realy know english very good than it is no problem.

Your Grammar Says it all.....
Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:03pm On Nov 08, 2013
adexsimply:
Maybe they are giving us the opportunity to develop our country??

@post, this is just... sad
Abioo,na by force to go another Man Country before you lift yourself from your "Ignorance"??
Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by adexsimply(m): 5:03pm On Nov 08, 2013
imperiouxx:

What development of the country are you talking about? Is it students who last tasted lecture almost 4 months ago that will develop it? When it's time, who will recycle those corrupt old guys that got part(s) or all their education outside the country? Credibility is lost, you're here talking about development.
You obviously don't understand me smiley
Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by noblefada: 5:21pm On Nov 08, 2013
I started this thread https://www.nairaland.com/1508449/what-going-nigeria-im-confused yesterday. Was feeling a little better this morning before I read the news of 1 NSCDC officer owning 61 houses and now this! I think we're in serious trouble in this country. I wrote TOEFl some years back and even supervised so of the exams, it very easy, to think people will cheat. They make the exams simple enough and have a lot of checks, but Nigerians are still breaching the system. I guess its a message the US is sending us as a whole, that has people we've failed and support corruption! I think this people monitor our media and social networks and have found that we do condone corruption. Please all the e-warriors, cyber special assistants and social network ethnic defenders pls kindly tone down on your activities a bit, not asking you to stop completely but tone it down a little, you're the ones causing the greatest harm to this country and the generation yet unborn. Please I'm really begging!
Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by Afam4eva(m): 5:23pm On Nov 08, 2013
buchibabe:

IELTS is used mostly by schools in the UK while Toefl is used by schools in the US.
Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by warrikid(m): 5:27pm On Nov 08, 2013
victorv12: It seems like these westerners doesn't want Nigerians again in their country. We scare them! Thesame in India, Ghana, China, South Africa, Kenya and the UK. If they can suspend these Two exams, and at thesame time, the US Visa lottery, we should all be at alert! Something terrible is about to happen in this country. The signals are too glaring. Not long ago, the British goverment nearly imposed a 3000 pound visa bond on us. Our sensless rulers should wakeup from their slumber. Something terrible is being planned by the imperialist and the colonialist. It seems like they want us to die in our ignorance! Intellectual terrorism is more dangerous that the physical warfare.
I feel u man,m wit it. Buh I'll be long gone when sh!It hits d fan.

1 Like

Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by buchibabe: 5:27pm On Nov 08, 2013
Afam4eva:
IELTS is used mostly by schools in the UK while Toefl is used by schools in the US.

Okkkk. I now understand. Tnx
Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by osram(m): 5:31pm On Nov 08, 2013
Afam4eva:
Toefl is just meant to test your knowledge of the English langiage and is not really used for admission. Infact, some schools can waive it if you tell them you're from Commonwealth Nigeria or they ascertain that you don't need the exam.
bros afam d way u spell language eh...if ets c am nw dm go jst bann us 4 life o
Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by cezeozue: 5:36pm On Nov 08, 2013
Hey guys,

This is very unfortunate news. Please sign and share this petition to get a better explanation from ETS and to have them lift the suspension ASAP:

http://chn.ge/1gwukfs

1 Like

Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by mystical10: 6:22pm On Nov 08, 2013
Do the needful thing, by writing IELTS. is cool.
Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by FindOut(m): 6:29pm On Nov 08, 2013
cezeozue: Hey guys,

This is very unfortunate news. Please sign and share this petition to get a better explanation from ETS and to have them lift the suspension ASAP:

http://chn.ge/1gwukfs

God bless you bro. Signed.

This news is very painful. To think that I've been on my friends' necks to take the GRE soonest. Thankfully, one of them took her GRE just last week & did very well. I'm 90 percent sure I wouldn't have taken the GRE in 2012 if I had to go to Ghana to take it & consequently won't be where I am today. US admission hopefuls, let's hope this is reversed soonest. However, if you can, please go to Ghana to take the exam if you r sure of doing very well & plan to study here in the US, particularly potential grad students. It's a sacrifice that can be worth it in some cases.

To the morons doing TOEFL runs and the condemned dullards asking for it, na una fault o. Fo.olish people.
Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by meforyou1(m): 6:32pm On Nov 08, 2013
I am so saddened by this news. I applied for a scholarship and intend to write the exam in Feb 2014. Where should I travel to Ghana to write an exam when there's a centre a stone throw from my office in abuja.
First it was western union now TOEFL and GRE examiners, next it will be mastercard and visa and then the UN.
Before u know it, the international community will ask Nigeria to go and form their own planet

1 Like

Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by Akiika: 7:00pm On Nov 08, 2013
bigheart2013: Poor Kids, sorry! The price of coming from a corrupt nation. However, I never had to write TOEFL when I did my post-graduate in USA. The admission office of the Uni insisted, but I went to the Dean's office and argued it out that Nigeria is an English-speaking country. I was very courteous, never raised my voice but remained adamant and passionate. During the course of my discussions she was paying attention to my use of English Language. At the end she agreed with me that I didn't need it, and sent email to the admissions officer to allow me register. Maybe I was lucky. But sometime if you can prove yourself USA administrators are very hands-on & believe in merit. You just need to prove yourself.

Well, with corruption everyone pays dearly. Another reason why you young Nigerians must stop cheering corruption and wealthy criminals. They are wasting your future, while you applaud them.

You are right, they waive it if you make a good case. I have a Grad schoolmate that didn't have to do it. I did it.
As regards the cancellation, i know something has been going on in those test centers. Some close relative few month ago sent me his GRE and TOEFL scores and i can tell that this guy's intelligence doesn't match the score. Well, when corruption has been legalized by the Govt., what do you expect from the younger generations? this is so sad, we are not trusted on anything. ETS is too embarrassed to admit that they have been duped. Which insecurity?
Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by Akiika: 7:06pm On Nov 08, 2013
Most of you kids need to change your ways, fast lane is not always the right way.
You have all accepted corruption and cheating to be the norm.
Those test centers have been compromised, it ain't nothing about security, they are just too embarrassed to admit they have been compromised.
Re: GRE & TOEFL Testing Suspended In Nigeria by Akiika: 7:17pm On Nov 08, 2013
pato405:

Are you simply fascinated by this obviously plagiarised essay or you lack comprehension of the crux of this thread. There is no modicum of correlation between your post and the subject/topic. Your point lacks the needed constructive and logical link to the debate. It does not come as a suprise that Nigerians are now disenfranchised from taking the exams (TOEFL/GRE). Critical comprehension askills and analytical views to topics are always lacking. The avarage Nigerian student just cant do without 'copying and pasting', claiming to be smart when apparently, they know next to nothing. So annoying angry

lol...i think he may have plagiarized too, but we are not sure. I think the point of the writer is that majority of Nigerians are corrupt and we only condemn it hypocritically. The testing centers have been compromised and the so called sharp guys have been paying for high GRE and TOEFL scores. I have a close relative whose GRE and TOEFL scores are suspicious, they don't just match his intelligence!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Can You Solve These Quantitative Aptitude Questions? / Community Secondary School, Ikot Essien Akwa Ibom In Bad State / Which School Is The Best University In Nigeria And Why?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.