Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,818 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:59 AM

Simple Way To Know If You Have Bad Breath - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Simple Way To Know If You Have Bad Breath (34698 Views)

8 Things You Need To Know If You Have Multiple Sex Partners / Why Do Luth Dr, Nurses, Interns Have Bad Attitudes? / Why Do Most Nigerian Men Have Bad Body Odour? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Simple Way To Know If You Have Bad Breath by Mobsync(m): 2:23pm On Nov 07, 2013
Lick your wrist with your tongue in just one swipe

Then, leave the wrist to dry (this takes only a few seconds)

After your wrist has dried, smell it. Any smell it gives off is the smell of your mouth and breath.

What is bad breath?

Bad breath, also known as halitosis, fetor oris, ozostomia or stomatodysodia is an unpleasant smell that is given off from the nose or mouth of an individual when he or she breathes or speaks.
Causes of bad breath

(1) Types of food or drinks ingested: Foods with strong odours like onions and garlic; exotic spices like curry, thyme and cinnamon and beverages like coffee, when ingested and digested, are absorbed into the bloodstream from where they enter the lungs and are expelled when breathing. And unfortunately, even after brushing and flossing, their smell doesn't go away unless they've completely passed through the blood system.

(2) Poor dental hygiene: Improper cleaning of dentures (artificial teeth) and failure to (properly) brush, floss and tongue scrape daily causes food particles to remain between the teeth, gums and on the tongue which causes bad breath.

(3) Use of depressants and stimulants: Depressants and stimulants like tobacco (smoked, chewed or sniffed) and alcohol enter the bloodstream from where they make their way to the lungs and are also expelled when breathing.

(4) Health problems: Health problems like gum disease, candidiasis (yeast infection), xerostomia (dry mouth which can be caused by continuous breathing through the mouth), diabetes, pneumonia, sore throat, and Gastro Esophageal Reflex Disease (GEAD) which is the backflow of acid from the stomach to the mouth and also, damaged internal organs like the liver and kidney release toxins which are expelled through the nose and mouth and cause bad breath.

(5) Lack of carbohydrate: High protein and low carbohydrate consumption causes the body to burn stored fats for fuel and leads to a condition known as ketosis because as fat burns, ketones are built up in the body and are released through breathing.

Treatment of bad breath

Make sure you brush, floss and tongue scrape at least twice daily (see image below). Tongue scrapers are sold in pharmacies but if you can't get one, use a teaspoon.

Drink plenty of fluids especially water so as to prevent saliva imbalance which causes dry mouth.
Quit the use of tobacco and alcohol.
Limit spicy foods, coffee and other foods with strong odours.
Take more of wholegrain carbohydrates, fruits and vegetables.
Take tea, as polyphenol present in tea plant helps hinder bacteria growth.
Take sugarless gums as they contain xylotol which kills bacteria and reduces plague but note that the use of gums, mints and mouthwash only stop bad breath temporarily.
Finally, you might need to consult your dentist or doctor as the bad breath could be due to health factor.

Source

18 Likes

Re: Simple Way To Know If You Have Bad Breath by Mobsync(m): 5:06pm On Nov 10, 2013
simple and concise

1 Like

Re: Simple Way To Know If You Have Bad Breath by Nobody: 8:46am On Nov 12, 2013
Just tried it though it's kind of tricky.

Thanks grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Simple Way To Know If You Have Bad Breath by effisyman: 4:19pm On Nov 12, 2013
Grt
Re: Simple Way To Know If You Have Bad Breath by yemi2plus(m): 4:19pm On Nov 12, 2013
You lick, you lick more bacteria that lives on the skin.
Re: Simple Way To Know If You Have Bad Breath by mcdokwe(m): 4:21pm On Nov 12, 2013
if people avoid your speaking to them at close range

3 Likes

Re: Simple Way To Know If You Have Bad Breath by REMMEI(m): 4:22pm On Nov 12, 2013
Mine ain't smelling..well,op thanks though.

1 Like

Re: Simple Way To Know If You Have Bad Breath by Nairalane: 4:22pm On Nov 12, 2013
The breathe will go straight to the eyes and change the sight. You ll see some bad things around u. Your mouth ll want bad foods too.e.g cig, 33, e.t.c. Just joking sha.

2 Likes

Re: Simple Way To Know If You Have Bad Breath by sammie4real: 4:23pm On Nov 12, 2013
Note that it is often misleading to think your breath is
Ok. Just someone close to you.
Re: Simple Way To Know If You Have Bad Breath by Nobody: 4:23pm On Nov 12, 2013
Jim powder does the Magic.
Re: Simple Way To Know If You Have Bad Breath by rmaubsiau(m): 4:23pm On Nov 12, 2013
hahahahahaha just ask your gf na angry
Re: Simple Way To Know If You Have Bad Breath by helphelp: 4:23pm On Nov 12, 2013
Make I lick sweat off my wrist...No way...!!!

Abeg another method please grin grin grin
Re: Simple Way To Know If You Have Bad Breath by Chicolee(f): 4:24pm On Nov 12, 2013
Good one @op
Re: Simple Way To Know If You Have Bad Breath by Nobody: 4:24pm On Nov 12, 2013
cool grin
Re: Simple Way To Know If You Have Bad Breath by IAMBREEZY: 4:24pm On Nov 12, 2013
Noted
Re: Simple Way To Know If You Have Bad Breath by Nobody: 4:24pm On Nov 12, 2013
I don't know how true the test is, but I expect saliva to smell (after exposure); bad breath or not.
--------------------------------
How to really test for bad breath?

Make a cup with your hands, just like when you're about to take bread during holy communion service in church, place your hands in such a way that it covers your nose and mouth, then exhale(through your mouth). You will be able to perceive your breath, the same way others perceive it.

I've done this several times, before an important interaction, just to avoid embarrassment and the results are good. cheesy cheesy cheesy

14 Likes

Re: Simple Way To Know If You Have Bad Breath by VANENON(f): 4:25pm On Nov 12, 2013
If you havent eaten and havent spoken for hours your breath will smell funny.
Also if you have just eaten something with garlic or onions your breath will also smell bad but that does not mean you have mouth odour.
Simple use of mouth wash or breath mint will clear temporary bad breath like these i just stated.
For permanent mouth odour one will need medical check up and advise.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Simple Way To Know If You Have Bad Breath by Justicemy: 4:26pm On Nov 12, 2013
for me girls delibrately tease me so i could kiss them.. So in return they could enjoy the sweet fragrance of my breath., so i've been exonerated 4rm dis post
Re: Simple Way To Know If You Have Bad Breath by MEILYN(m): 4:26pm On Nov 12, 2013
well said... Thanks @O.P
Re: Simple Way To Know If You Have Bad Breath by kstyle2(m): 4:28pm On Nov 12, 2013
I knw 1 chick i swear her mouth smells lyk dead horse...maybe she shld c dis...my own dey scent lyk inside new range rover sport....d trick 2 cure mouth odour is 2 brush twice a day,use ur mouthwash(listerine is d best)...den sleep wit chewing gum...criously i usually sleep wit gum in my mouth n wen i wake,i neva xperience dat offenive early morning stench....

1 Like

Re: Simple Way To Know If You Have Bad Breath by kayojosephy(m): 4:30pm On Nov 12, 2013
CARBO wetin...?2 much of it na kwashiokor less of it na mouth odour,na wetin we no go hear?The option is yours,which do u prefer?
Re: Simple Way To Know If You Have Bad Breath by Bigbello(m): 4:31pm On Nov 12, 2013
Great job
Re: Simple Way To Know If You Have Bad Breath by myOGAonTOP: 4:32pm On Nov 12, 2013
Saliva will always smell. Why? Cos of the natural bacterial fauna found in the mouth which absolutely NO amount of cleaning can eradicate (unless with 'hypo' of course). Tongues not subjected to scrapping will always smell cos of high levels of anaerobic respiration by the increasing bacterial population.
Re: Simple Way To Know If You Have Bad Breath by felzylix(m): 4:32pm On Nov 12, 2013
LICK more bacteria into ur system complicate ur case in no tym

1 Like

Re: Simple Way To Know If You Have Bad Breath by Nobody: 4:34pm On Nov 12, 2013
Some ppl that try it and it smells will be like, op u dey craze grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Simple Way To Know If You Have Bad Breath by yunglykmine(m): 4:34pm On Nov 12, 2013
Noted! Thanks
Re: Simple Way To Know If You Have Bad Breath by Nobody: 4:36pm On Nov 12, 2013
Tanx Op, nice one but licking your wrist doesnt seem to work. Maybe asking your close friend to pasive a little .lols. Or may be when he/she draws back a little when you speak.
Re: Simple Way To Know If You Have Bad Breath by tolu4you: 4:37pm On Nov 12, 2013
thankz for this
Re: Simple Way To Know If You Have Bad Breath by Nikapetrelli(f): 4:38pm On Nov 12, 2013
hmm
Re: Simple Way To Know If You Have Bad Breath by donklint86: 4:39pm On Nov 12, 2013
good one op, but to lick wrist no way! Dat one na bacteria
Re: Simple Way To Know If You Have Bad Breath by condralbede(m): 4:39pm On Nov 12, 2013
That shit don't smell nice at all.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

I Need Cure To Bumps At The Back Of My Neck / 22-Year-Old Arabic Student Commits Suicide In Kwara Because God Failed Him / Photos: Meet The Medical Team That Kept Ebola Away From Nigerians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.