Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,329 members, 7,826,306 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 12:30 PM

Nigerians Abroad, Especially In The USA & UK, Why Pull Each Other Down? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Nigerians Abroad, Especially In The USA & UK, Why Pull Each Other Down? (1428 Views)

Girls Married Before 19 Or 20 Should Be Made Illegal....especially In The North / Does Having A House Help Or Steward Make Housewives Lazy Especially In The Kitch / Why Don't Christians Apply The Bible To Their Lives Especially In Marriages? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians Abroad, Especially In The USA & UK, Why Pull Each Other Down? by bigheart2013(m): 4:33pm On Nov 09, 2013
It’s very disheartening to read daily how Nigerians abroad (especially in the USA & UK) pull each other down. It’s getting to a point, where it’s safer to keep a foreigner as a friend than a fellow Nigerian. News and stories are awash of:

1. Nigerian men sleeping with their friend’s wives when the friend is on travel
2. Spreading false rumors to tarnish a fellow countryman’s image,
3. violent in-fighting in so-called towns meetings/associations
4. Nigerian pastors interfering deeply in private family issues and advising members to divorce their wives
5. Seeking personal vendetta at work to pull a country man down from a high position
6. Excessive vengeance and back-biting amongst our sisters
7. Wives going any length to destroy the career and image of their husbands over minor quarrels (especially some nurses), etc.

Un-heard of before, many Nigerian families abroad now are broken homes, leaving Nigerian kids growing without the love and attention of both parents due to friends-engineered divorces and separations. This is not our culture.

Please I only need matured advice and solutions to chide these shameless adults and to discourage those who are nursing such thoughts now not to join the queue. Our name ‘Nigerians’ is becoming the most hated name on Earth, thanks to us Nigerians. We are not the poorest nation in Africa, so why don’t other Africans behave like this?
Re: Nigerians Abroad, Especially In The USA & UK, Why Pull Each Other Down? by drnoel: 5:37pm On Nov 09, 2013
so true,.....but on anoda note ur tone is rather very bad. If I may ask, did u have an encounter with such or did someone u know suffer such. Ma broda its why am not friends with many Nigerians and none have come to my house. I meet all outside.
Re: Nigerians Abroad, Especially In The USA & UK, Why Pull Each Other Down? by bigheart2013(m): 6:06pm On Nov 09, 2013
drnoel: so true,.....but on anoda note ur tone is rather very bad. If I may ask, did u have an encounter with such or did someone u know suffer such. Ma broda its why am not friends with many Nigerians and none have come to my house. I meet all outside.

I keep reading and hearing these stories even on Nairaland and other Nigerian blogs. I've had few close brushes (mostly in business transactions) but not as serious as what I read sometimes. Maybe because I left Nigeria many years ago and most of my Nigerian friends have either lived all or most of their lives abroad, so can only be called Nigerians on paper. The most rampant these days are men sleeping with their friend's wives once the man travels. I know some people embroiled in that bitter scandals. Not sure whom to blame, the betrayer friends, constantly-traveling Nigerian husbands, or their unfaithful wives. How really does a man get too close to his friend's wife,without the husband suspecting? Where was he?
Re: Nigerians Abroad, Especially In The USA & UK, Why Pull Each Other Down? by pickabeau1: 6:28pm On Nov 09, 2013
hahahhaa... e be like say u get some nasty ahzz people around you ...

these qualities are human and universal ...

change the people around you
Re: Nigerians Abroad, Especially In The USA & UK, Why Pull Each Other Down? by Nobody: 6:49pm On Nov 09, 2013
Re: Nigerians Abroad, Especially In The USA & UK, Why Pull Each Other Down? by bigheart2013(m): 7:00pm On Nov 09, 2013
pickabeau1: hahahhaa... e be like say u get some nasty ahzz people around you ...

these qualities are human and universal ...change the people around you

I beg to differ please. Did you ever hear that Mali, India, Malaysia, South Africa, etc are protesting against having citizens of any other country in their country except Nigerians? Are all those Nigerians living there my relatives and friends? Let's not always rush to dismiss criticisms rather than look inward and make amends. It's like defending your daughter each time she does something wrong, she will never learn or change.

I agree they happen everywhere, but there are certain ills that are very profound among us Nigerians. Let's face it and never defend it. If you doubt it try applying for a visa same time with a Kenyan, or Ugadan to USA or UK and see who gets it. There are issues!
Re: Nigerians Abroad, Especially In The USA & UK, Why Pull Each Other Down? by pickabeau1: 7:18pm On Nov 09, 2013
OK.. You are free to renounce your citizenship

A lot of you guys already despise those 'unfortunate' to be in naija...

I bet you those who rioted in LA in 1992 (Rodney King) are Nigerians

Oh before i forget, those who burnt Tottenham were also yobs from naija

bigheart2013:

I beg to differ please. Did you ever hear that Mali, India, Malaysia, South Africa, etc are protesting against having citizens of any other country in their country except Nigerians? Are all those Nigerians living there my relatives and friends? Let's not always rush to dismiss criticisms rather than look inward and make amends. It's like defending your daughter each time she does something wrong, she will never learn or change.

I agree they happen everywhere, but there are certain ills that are very profound among us Nigerians. Let's face it and never defend it. If you doubt it try applying for a visa same time with a Kenyan, or Ugadan to USA or UK and see who gets it. There are issues!
Re: Nigerians Abroad, Especially In The USA & UK, Why Pull Each Other Down? by armyofone(m): 7:25pm On Nov 09, 2013
bigheart2013: It’s very disheartening to read daily how Nigerians abroad (especially in the USA & UK) pull each other down. It’s getting to a point, where it’s safer to keep a foreigner as a friend than a fellow Nigerian. News and stories are awash of:

4. Nigerian pastors interfering deeply in private family issues and advising members to divorce their wives
5. Seeking personal vendetta at work to pull a country man down from a high position
7. Wives going any length to destroy the career and image of their husbands over minor quarrels (especially some nurses), etc.

Un-heard of before, many Nigerian families abroad now are broken homes, leaving Nigerian kids growing without the love and attention of both parents due to friends-engineered divorces and separations. This is not our culture.

Please I only need matured advice and solutions to chide these shameless adults and to discourage those who are nursing such thoughts now not to join the queue. Our name ‘Nigerians’ is becoming the most hated name on Earth, thanks to us Nigerians. We are not the poorest nation in Africa, so why don’t other Africans behave like this?

Well OP, you should be more worried about issue plaguing NIN.
We have functioning Social services.
So what is 'awa culture'? Married or I kwench?
Yankuri, leave matter for Matha in 2013.
Re: Nigerians Abroad, Especially In The USA & UK, Why Pull Each Other Down? by bigheart2013(m): 7:46pm On Nov 09, 2013
pickabeau1: OK.. You are free to renounce your citizenship

A lot of you guys already despise those 'unfortunate' to be in naija..

This is exactly what is wrong with Nigeria. Nobody is criticizing you for living in Nigeria. I lived there too and still have significant presence there till date. The thread is not even about people living in Nigeria. It's about Nigerians living abroad. If I have to renounce my citizenship like you suggested in order to criticize what is bad, doesn't that say a lot about Nigeria then? Or are you saying Nigeria or Nigerians condone bad things? Adage: "I'll never support stealing because my dad was the thief"
Re: Nigerians Abroad, Especially In The USA & UK, Why Pull Each Other Down? by jeffizy(m): 8:16pm On Nov 09, 2013
Ise ile lo gbe won de ita .
What I wrote just now is that peeps behaving badly to fellow country men have that bad habit in-built in them. I believe they will do the same in Naija too.

But you should not forget most Nigerians are into materialism and have a fetish for the 'oga at the top' syndrome. This drives most to always try to feel or prove they are more successful, happy, better than the next man.
Re: Nigerians Abroad, Especially In The USA & UK, Why Pull Each Other Down? by pickabeau1: 8:21pm On Nov 09, 2013
dude.. now you are officially confusing me...

You open a thread criticising NID ... that they are animals etc as if these qualities are unique to them

I tell you these are human qualities but u now say im complicit and supporting evil...

Ok.. i leave you to your thoughts and predjudices..

While you at it, you can also avoid the company of Nigerians abroad...

bigheart2013:

This is exactly what is wrong with Nigeria. Nobody is criticizing you for living in Nigeria. I lived there too and still have significant presence there till date. The thread is not even about people living in Nigeria. It's about Nigerians living abroad. If I have to renounce my citizenship like you suggested in order to criticize what is bad, doesn't that say a lot about Nigeria then? Or are you saying Nigeria or Nigerians condone bad things? Adage: "I'll never support stealing because my dad was the thief"
Re: Nigerians Abroad, Especially In The USA & UK, Why Pull Each Other Down? by igbonla(m): 11:26pm On Nov 09, 2013
This is a general occurrence but a non issue, it is happening on a huge scale in Nigeria.

You should check those you associate with and keep to yourself if that will give the peace you seek.
Re: Nigerians Abroad, Especially In The USA & UK, Why Pull Each Other Down? by obowunmi(m): 2:23am On Nov 10, 2013
Good/ bad people everywhere...
Re: Nigerians Abroad, Especially In The USA & UK, Why Pull Each Other Down? by Kanwulia: 6:09am On Nov 10, 2013
HA!
Like Nigerians on NL!
Tufiakwa!!! angry
Re: Nigerians Abroad, Especially In The USA & UK, Why Pull Each Other Down? by EfemenaXY: 6:19am On Nov 10, 2013
bigheart2013: It’s very disheartening to read daily how Nigerians abroad (especially in the USA & UK) pull each other down. It’s getting to a point, where it’s safer to keep a foreigner as a friend than a fellow Nigerian. News and stories are awash of:

Abeg, don't tar everyone with the same brush.

I do none of the stuff you've just listed, and neither do the people I mix with.

It all depends on the type of friends and people you associate with. Judging from the tone of your post, you need a complete overhaul mate.
Re: Nigerians Abroad, Especially In The USA & UK, Why Pull Each Other Down? by mkmyers45(m): 9:49am On Nov 10, 2013
Re: Nigerians Abroad, Especially In The USA & UK, Why Pull Each Other Down? by bigheart2013(m): 1:18pm On Nov 10, 2013
Efemena_xy:

Abeg, don't tar everyone with the same brush.

I do none of the stuff you've just listed, and neither do the people I mix with. It all depends on the type of friends and people you associate with. Judging from the tone of your post, you need a complete overhaul mate.

I neither said you did nor hang out with people who did. But if you claim you either don't know who doe's or never read about these then you're being evasive on the issue. Even up to 30% threads on NL Family section are all on the issues I raised (family infidelity, personal attacks on OPs, tribal and religious bickering on any topic, etc). I neither posted those nor knew the OPs, so how can you claim you never heard before? Anyway, Pastor Fatoyimbo never accepted that he did, nor knew people who did, until the ladies started talking. Who should we ask?
Re: Nigerians Abroad, Especially In The USA & UK, Why Pull Each Other Down? by EfemenaXY: 1:45pm On Nov 10, 2013
bigheart2013:

I neither said you did nor hang out with people who did. But if you claim you either don't know who doe's or never read about these then you're being evasive on the issue. Even up to 30% threads on NL Family section are all on the issues I raised (family infidelity, personal attacks on OPs, tribal and religious bickering on any topic, etc). I neither posted those nor knew the OPs, so how can you claim you never heard before? Anyway, Pastor Fatoyimbo never accepted that he did, nor knew people who did, until the ladies started talking. Who should we ask?

On the contrary, I'm not the one being evasive here - you are. Your thread is directed specifically to Nigerians in disporia (esp. in the USA and UK) and I'm calling you out on that.

Firstly based on what you're preaching here, are you gonna tell me that Nigerians else where aside the US and UK act and live the lives of angels? You telling me that the questionable qualities you listed are traits specifically assigned to Nigerians in the US and UK?

Secondly, what you listed in your opening post is not the exclusive preserve of Nigerians in the US and UK, but are traits that can be found in anyone, irrespective of their ethic background or where they live.

Finally, what proof have you got to support your claims? When I say proof, I mean properly researched, hard to dispute, hardcore scientifically proven analysis and supporting data have you got to back up your claims? Or do you have some sort of source where you gleaned this information from? Or is it simply idle gossip spread by word of mouth?

For you to base your deductions on threads opened in the family section is quite frankly, lame. You do know that majority of these threads are fakes, opened up by idle attention-seeking teenagers wanting to create traffic - yes?
Re: Nigerians Abroad, Especially In The USA & UK, Why Pull Each Other Down? by Nobody: 7:35pm On Nov 10, 2013
Efemena_xy:

On the contrary, I'm not the one being evasive here - you are. Your thread is directed specifically to Nigerians in disporia (esp. in the USA and UK) and I'm calling you out on that.

Firstly based on what you're preaching here, are you gonna tell me that Nigerians else where aside the US and UK act and live the lives of angels? You telling me that the questionable qualities you listed are traits specifically assigned to Nigerians in the US and UK?

Secondly, what you listed in your opening post is not the exclusive preserve of Nigerians in the US and UK, but are traits that can be found in anyone, irrespective of their ethic background or where they live.

Finally, what proof have you got to support your claims? When I say proof, I mean properly researched, hard to dispute, hardcore scientifically proven analysis and supporting data have you got to back up your claims? Or do you have some sort of source where you gleaned this information from? Or is it simply idle gossip spread by word of mouth?

For you to base your deductions on threads opened in the family section is quite frankly, lame. You do know that majority of these threads are fakes, opened up by idle attention-seeking teenagers wanting to create traffic - yes?

I tire oh.

(1) (Reply)

Indecent Dressing In Our Contemporary Society / Man Born With Head Upside-down Achieves Big Success / Lets See How Pretty As A Pregnant Woman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.