Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,520 members, 7,823,237 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 07:20 AM

HIV/AIDS Support Group.... - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / HIV/AIDS Support Group.... (46748 Views)

Maduike Ezeibe Claims He Cures HIV/AIDS / HIV/AIDS Drugs To Be Manufactured In Nigeria - UNAIDS / CSA-54: A Possible Cure For HIV/AIDS! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by Sirgen05(m): 9:09am On Nov 20, 2013
Pls mods allow this thread on d front page for sometime, I plead!!
You never can tell How many lives that will be saved!!!
Though I thought this thread will experience traffic jam, very slow to My liking!
Pls like this post if u want the thread remain on d front page for sometime!

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by KnightsTemplar(m): 9:13am On Nov 20, 2013
Heartie01: If she had tested positive den doesn't mean U̶̲̥̅̊ too will be positive, cos am living witness to that, I and my ex had been dating for over 2yrs before I went for test but he use to do his own test like every 6months due to the nature of his job and its always comes back negative, but @ d orientation camp last year I decided to know my own status and lo and behold it came back +ve he didn't believe it cos he too just got tested a week before dat time nd he was -ve, after the camp we both went to 3 different hospital mine was also +ve and his -ve..He has done d test again after 3 nd 6months they both came out negative....

Hi read your post on your other tread, you are indeed handling your status well. My question is this, not trying to be invasive though, u said the nature of your ex's job, pre exposes him to probable infection, hence the need for a regular 6 months Tests, now is it possible that the virus is dormant in his body, unable to be detected, but still has the propensity of infecting another person....hope u r doing OK.
Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by nathanjnr(m): 9:21am On Nov 20, 2013
The Key message now depends on your HIV status. So the first step is for folks to brave up and go to a clinic and assess the counselling and testing service, that way together with the healthcare worker, you get to know your status and work your way up to the best life experience.

WE SHOULD ALSO REMEMBER THE CONCEPT OF WINDOW PERIOD..... THAT YOU TEST NEGATIVE DOESNT MEAN YOU ARE NEGATIVE AT THE TIME THAT IS WHY THEY ALWAYS ASK YOU TO COME BACK IN ABOUT 3-6MONTHS FOR RETESTING.

For those who test negative priority is RISK REDUCTION and BEHAVIOURAL CHANGE
A : Abstinence or hold body,
B: Being faithful to one faithful uninfected partner; cause being faithful alone doesn't keep you safe
C: Use of Condoms CORRECTLY AND CONSISTENTLY which most faiths frown against, but whether we like it or not Sexual activity in Nigeria starts in some areas at the age of as YOUNG as 9yrs

For PLWHAs emphasis is on POSITIVE LIVING and
D: Drugs which goes a long way at preserving the immunity of the individual by keeping the virus from destroying the CD4 cells.

Yes in Nigeria stigma and discrimination is still high but if you remain ignorant especially of your status..... by the time you are down u will present with AIDS defining illnesses and then all people who are grounded in HIV/AIDS need to do is look at you and suspect.
Your low immunity makes you vulnerable to disease those with high immunity do not have (opportunistic infections)
Tuberculosis which is the highest killer and can be gotten from the air we breathe
Pneumocystis Carinii a kind of chest infection which can be prevented with the use of Septrin at certain CD4 levels
THE KEY INTERVENTION IS KNOW YOUR STATUS AND PREVENT OR LIVE POSITIVELY!!!!!
There as states which have a higher burden than the national average of 4.1% and are referred to as 12+1..... the 1 is ABUJA.the 12 grin Lets go do some research. Nairalanders in these locations need to know how to keep themselves safe from HIV.

HELP IN THE FIGHT AGAINST DISCRIMINATION
NB: PLWHAs are being used in teaching and training these days as expert patients and they contribute a lot in building the capacity of both HCWs and patients. theres still hope for them in our society. They should be encouraged to disclose their status by not discriminating against them.
For Questions and further clarification........ ask!!!!!

1 Like

Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by Heartie01: 9:37am On Nov 20, 2013
KnightsTemplar:

Hi read your post on your other tread, you are indeed handling your status well. My question is this, not trying to be invasive though, u said the nature of your ex's job, pre exposes him to probable infection, hence the need for a regular 6 months Tests, now is it possible that the virus is dormant in his body, unable to be detected, but still has the propensity of infecting another person....hope u r doing OK.
Don't get me wrong dear I am nt saying d nature of his job do expose him to the virus, he works with a milling company in the east so they do ve dem do their routine check-up every 6months or sometimes 8months to know if they are physically fit.....
Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by Airforce11: 11:20am On Nov 20, 2013
fsb: Okay so on NL, there are threads for everything including how to secure a visa (not that the idea of eloping is bad altogether)....anyway, I work in that field and I thought it might be a good idea to start an online support group thread dedicated to every nairalander living with HIV.

For those who have successfully been on antiretrovirals for years, please share your experiences/challenges with us as someone in here might benefit.

For those looking for answers to questions, please come in here ....physicians providing ARV care are also welcome.

This thread is welcomed and timely. I'm appealing that, thiis should be on the the front page for a while to enlighten NLdrs on HIV.

I tested positive last year September, it wasn't easy initially but wit d counsel from myy doctor n people here gave me some respite. The problem I had initially was taking my medication bc I was not used to it so most times forget taking it. I complained to my doctor who advised me to set an alarm as a reminder. This really helped me n also want to commend a positive Nairalander also who helped me in reminding me to take my drugs.

I also made so much research about d virus as its not a death sentence as ignorant people thinks.

Before discovery of my status, I don't take drugs with water but soft drinks. Myu mum and wife complain alot about such habit but don't really care. I don't have a choice anymore bc I would not want to be drinking soft drink every morning n night throughout my life. That is one of lifestyle I have changed so far.

About how I contacted the virus? Cant really pinpoint how I got it.

PLWHIV can alwaz network to assist one another in the areas of advice especially for those who just discovered their status.
I ll be here to answer any question relating to my status.
I love u all.

4 Likes

Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by Airforce11: 11:22am On Nov 20, 2013
fsb: Okay so on NL, there are threads for everything including how to secure a visa (not that the idea of eloping is bad altogether)....anyway, I work in that field and I thought it might be a good idea to start an online support group thread dedicated to every nairalander living with HIV.

For those who have successfully been on antiretrovirals for years, please share your experiences/challenges with us as someone in here might benefit.

For those looking for answers to questions, please come in here ....physicians providing ARV care are also welcome.

This thread is welcomed and timely. I'm appealing that, thiis should be on the the front page for a while to enlighten NLdrs on HIV.

I tested positive last year September, it wasn't easy initially but wit d counsel from myy doctor n people here gave me some respite. The problem I had initially was taking my medication bc I was not used to it so most times forget taking it. I complained to my doctor who advised me to set an alarm as a reminder. This really helped me n also want to commend a positive Nairalander also who helped me in reminding me to take my drugs.

I also made so much research about d virus as its not a death sentence as ignorant people thinks.

Before discovery of my status, I don't take drugs with water but soft drinks. Myu mum and wife complain alot about such habit but don't really care. I don't have a choice anymore bc I would not want to be drinking soft drink every morning n night throughout my life. That is one of lifestyle I have changed so far.

About how I contacted the virus? Cant really pinpoint how I got it.

PLWHIV can alwaz network to assist one another in the areas of advice especially for those who just discovered their status.
I ll be here to answer any question relating to my status.
I love u all.
Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by Lilimax(f): 11:35am On Nov 20, 2013
Obinoscopy: Yes, provided they use condom and the person with the virus is compliant with his/her medication. Presently, we even have medications for sero-discordant couples. This will ensure that the man does not infect his wife and vise versa for the rest of their lives
Good to know.
If this is the case, it means that the end of HIV/AIDS is near.
Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by missdee1(f): 12:39pm On Nov 20, 2013
Come support Friends Africa to campaign against the stigma and discrimination of People Living with HIV/AIDS at the Campos Mini-Stadium on November 30th. Visit www.superstarsplayforlife.org for more details.
Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by Airforce11: 12:41pm On Nov 20, 2013

Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by omoharry(f): 12:42pm On Nov 20, 2013
What! did you just say people prefer cancer to HIV? That is a waoo!Cancer caught at an early stage and cured, i will say yes. Nobody prays for any sickness of any kind but just ask people who have cancer and undergoing treatment, you will see what they are going through.The experience of the the CHEMO and other treatment used, is not what you would wish your enemy to go through.What I understand is that HIV is highly stigmatized because society quickly assumes that everyone who contact it must have had it through sex or a reckless lifestyle.That is not so true. Society will only sympatize with a cancer patient than someone that has HIV, that is why you would say you believe someone would prefer having CANCER than HIV. However, nobody prays any of these sickness. But If i were left with no choice of choosing between HIV AND CANCER I would rather stick to HIV ; maintain healthy live style and still live a normal life like every other person.
Maria-Goretti:

Like you rightly said, HIV is just a name.
Ask some people, and they will tell you they prefer CANCER to HIV.
Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by jacjac: 12:46pm On Nov 20, 2013
My wife has been tested positive few yrs after our marriage. She wasn't +ve before the marriage and our child then wasn't +ve and myself till today(infact just last week i tested myself again) is not positive, how and where she got the virus remains a mystery to me. I cried as I've never cried in my life during that period, (i wish i can erase those days from my memory) even till today, remembering her status saddens my heart but she is still my wife and I still love her and can't leave her. She have given birth to 2 kids after then and they are both negative and very healthy(that's my consolation). She takes her medication every single day since then and doesn't miss her appointment in hospital. Am still praying God that one day she will be okay. Since then I've not been enjoying se.x with her because i use protection+trauma/fear. We use a method her doctors advised us for conception.

5 Likes

Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by Heartie01: 1:08pm On Nov 20, 2013
jacjac: My wife has been tested positive few yrs after our marriage. She wasn't +ve before the marriage and our child then wasn't +ve and myself till today(infact just last week i tested myself again) is not positive, how and where she got the virus remains a mystery to me. I cried as I've never cried in my life during that period, (i wish i can erase those days from my memory) even till today, remembering her status saddens my heart but she is still my wife and I still love her and can't leave her. She have given birth to 2 kids after then and they are both negative and very healthy(that's my consolation). She takes her medication every single day since then and doesn't miss her appointment in hospital. Am still praying God that one day she will be okay. Since then I've not been enjoying se.x with her because i use protection+trauma/fear. We use a method her doctors advised us for conception.

Wow! She's very lucky to have a very caring and understanding husband like U̶̲̥̅̊....Most men would have abandoned her long time ago but U̶̲̥̅̊ stick to ur 2ru sickness and pain promises, May God bless U̶̲̥̅̊ and give more strength than she ever needed..

7 Likes

Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by skypopson(m): 1:21pm On Nov 20, 2013
am a pharmacy student,but a working colleague of mine once told me that the finest people amongst us re the ones coming for retrovirals..dont tink because they have class they re negative..Avoid unprotected sex and get tested..HIV NO DEY KILL
Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by chicee5: 2:46pm On Nov 20, 2013
i have a close friend who is positive, now she wants to settle down soon,any brother in the house??

1 Like

Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by chicee5: 2:49pm On Nov 20, 2013
jacjac: My wife has been tested positive few yrs after our marriage. She wasn't +ve before the marriage and our child then wasn't +ve and myself till today(infact just last week i tested myself again) is not positive, how and where she got the virus remains a mystery to me. I cried as I've never cried in my life during that period, (i wish i can erase those days from my memory) even till today, remembering her status saddens my heart but she is still my wife and I still love her and can't leave her. She have given birth to 2 kids after then and they are both negative and very healthy(that's my consolation). She takes her medication every single day since then and doesn't miss her appointment in hospital. Am still praying God that one day she will be okay. Since then I've not been enjoying se.x with her because i use protection+trauma/fear. We use a method her doctors advised us for conception.

you are a rare Gold Sir, God bless you, your heart and make your Joy complete in Jesus name.

2 Likes

Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by chicee5: 2:49pm On Nov 20, 2013

you are a rare Gold Sir, God bless you, your heart and make your Joy complete in Jesus name.

4 Likes

Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by jpphilips(m): 3:44pm On Nov 20, 2013
uy plus:

But Comeon, ders a lead-in dose for nvp wich mst b adhered to inother to avoid risk of steven Johnson syndrome wich is associated wit nvp based combination. I hf nva come across nvp induced sjs in clinical practice, because pts r advc to report weneva rashes r noticed.

And pls try to explain to them dt efavirenz based combinations r associated wit drowsiness n nt jst stating dt tdf/3tc/efv r associated wit drowsiness.

you type like someone with incomplete fingers

2 Likes

Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by lumeviewscom: 4:18pm On Nov 20, 2013
Sorry.

9 Likes

Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by Nobody: 5:03pm On Nov 20, 2013
pls ooooooo,can someone tell.me

if person get HIV any hope of reproduction for the man, I mean is his sperm infected with the virus?
Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by iceni(f): 5:21pm On Nov 20, 2013
[quote author=Hardeshyna]my mum discovered shes HIV+ abt 3yrs ago nd shes been on immune drugs.. shes doin fyn even more dan some normal humans. ... I love her b4 d HIV nd ll continue to lov her HIV or No HIV..[/quote Genius I love u for that !
Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by iceni(f): 6:23pm On Nov 20, 2013
20 years nd still going strong. My will to live is much stronger, than what people hve to say about me.high fives to all my bros nd sistas who are + we hve come a long way keep your confidence up.trust God just say to those negative people "once God has forgiven it , u hve forgotten about it " so many hve speak into our lives not knowing what awaits them. God is good nd to him is due all honor nd praise. !!!!

10 Likes

Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by ehinmero(f): 7:14pm On Nov 20, 2013
Am Happy about this trend, am an Activist proud to associate with every1 ..... Cos even wen u Positive its about living Positively.... We should celebrated December 1st on this trend ....Its gonna be the yearly World's AIDS day!
Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by truthcom: 12:38am On Nov 21, 2013
Please if someone has HIV and take his drugs, the virus can't kill him again ?
Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by soulglo: 12:58am On Nov 21, 2013
lumeviews.com:
Some may know my website, therefore I am not faceless and say all these knowing that y'all can trace me. A wise person once said, "My people die from ignorance". Back then, I used to think if I ever became HIV+, I would commit suicide and get it over with.

Over the last couple of years, I learnt a lot about HIV and completely lost my phobia of it. These are not empty words because I dated someone who is HIV+. By "dated", I mean a relationship where we did almost everything together. Had unprotected intimacy a few times inbetween all the other times... And the reason we used a condom most times was to avoid pregnancy, not because of the fear of AIDS. We continued with the relationship even after we found out about her status in 2011 although it was a difficult period for us. Luckily, our immediate family were there for us. I was with her when she began treatment and counselling. I gained more as a human being from that experience. Sadly, she was one of the casualties on the Dana plane crash last year. I'm still free of the virus as I type this...

Just thought I'd share because I know the struggle for those living with the virus and I hope someone out there gains strength from this.

Don't know if I would deliberately jump into another relationship with someone infected with the virus but the difference in my mentality now is that it wouldn't stop me if I truly like/love the person.

The disease is manageable now. All that's left is to find the cure.

God bless everyone who have to deal with this condition every day. They say there is a difference between a human being and being human. Take heart and ignore the ignorant ones who stigmatize others!

Here's a toast to the future... Remember you live every day and only die once.

Ciao.

Sorry for your loss but please please please always use protection. Prevention is better than cure. Therapies and treatments have come a long way but no way is it sensible to have unprotected sex especially when you know your partner has any transmittable disease.

1 Like

Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by UKAj: 3:27am On Nov 21, 2013
When I was diagnosed with HIV, I thought it was the end of the world. But it wasn't. Since then I have married and have kids: Mother and kids are negative.

The days following my diagnosis were tough. I recall a friend driving me to the club to drink my sorrows away. I didn't tell him I was HIV positive but that I was troubled. He recommended a night of heavy drinking and I subscribed. Life is so unfair. This same friend was diagnosed with cancer last year and he only had a year to leave. May his gentle soul rest in peace. The painful part is that I didn't know he was sick until I saw his obituary on facebook.

I encourage brethrens to test. HIV is no death sentence.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by Mobsync(m): 7:16am On Nov 21, 2013
Really inspriring posts here. I don't know my status and I'm afraid to go for testing.

Does anyone here know an HIV testing centre in Ilorin, Kwara state?
Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by clnzo: 8:27am On Nov 21, 2013
I had an STD last month n I was cured.my fear is I dnt wona av HIV because of ds.I went for a test a month after d std n I was negative(dis is my second test under a month showing negative).am still scared.pls house I nid some kina encouragement as I vowed neva to mk mistakes after getting such STD.although my hiv status says negative.
Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by Lilimax(f): 9:09am On Nov 21, 2013
jp philips:

you type like someone with incomplete fingers
grin
Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by zariababe(f): 9:43am On Nov 21, 2013
Pls can anyone advice me on wat to do? My frnd jst discovered she is HIV+ n she is abt to wed, she is so confused n distabilised...d spouse tested negative. Is there any hope for them? Can they marry. D spouse is afraid of being infected...wit d AVR can d spouse be protected Pls its urgent!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

3 Main Reasons Why Some Women Cant Get Pregnant / UNIPORT Fresh Graduate Dies Of Brain Tumor (Photos) / What Happened To Me Today In A Brothel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.