Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,640 members, 7,955,332 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 11:04 PM

300 Liberian War Refugees Who Lived In Nigeria Since 1990 Flew Back Home. - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / 300 Liberian War Refugees Who Lived In Nigeria Since 1990 Flew Back Home. (541 Views)

See Pictures Of Newly Discovered Amazon Tribe Who Lived In The Forest For 600yrs / 3 Girls Scam ISIS On Social Media, Get $3,300 From Them / Graphic Photos: Liberian Soldiers Open Fire On Residents Of Ebola Slum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

300 Liberian War Refugees Who Lived In Nigeria Since 1990 Flew Back Home. by ujoinme: 8:36pm On Nov 09, 2013
Nearly three hundred Liberian refugees in Nigeria flew home on Monday, October 28, 2013, on two chartered Arik Air flights from the Murtala Muhammed Airport in Lagos under the sponsorship of the Government of Japan and the International Organization for Migration (IOM).

Excited about finally returning home, many had lived at the Oru Refugee Camp, Ijebu-Ode, in Southwestern Nigerian State of Ogun since the outbreak of the Liberian civil war in 1990. The IOM classified them as stranded Liberian migrants who had not benefitted from UNHCR's coverage.

Weeks before their departure, the Embassy of Liberia in Abuja and the IOM screened the migrants and supervised their medical checkup and vaccination at the Oru Camp.

Upon arrival in Liberia, each migrant received US$275.00 from the IOM: $200 as reintegration package and $75.00 for local transportation.

The migrants were full of praises for the Governments of Liberia and Japan for making the trip home possible. Most of them have made plans to establish small businesses with their resettlement money.

Mamie Attia, a single mother with four children who acquired catering skills in Nigeria,plans to open a restaurant: "my children father passed away... I am now the mother and father and it's not easy on me. If not government brought the opportunity I don't know how I would have gone home.I will open my restaurant with the money and send my children to school."

Another migrant, Fatu Lamadine, described life as a refugee as "sometimes good sometimes bad". Fatu, who returned home after living for six years in Nigeria, was also grateful to the Government of Liberia for the repatriation exercise.
Re: 300 Liberian War Refugees Who Lived In Nigeria Since 1990 Flew Back Home. by Yemlizzy(f): 8:49pm On Nov 09, 2013
Hmmm this is good despite all the time spent heregrin.....afterall there is no place like home!

(1) (Reply)

What Are We Doing For The Filipinos? / The Great Hero Mandela Just Pass Away / Former South African President Nelson Mandela Is Dead(1918-2013)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.