Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,058 members, 7,838,689 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 08:00 AM

My Wedding And Tithes Wahala In My Church - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / My Wedding And Tithes Wahala In My Church (4194 Views)

My Church Is Aware I’m Member Of Ogboni Confraternity —ogunfuwa, Remo Chief. / What Does God Do With All The Money He Recevies From Offering And Tithes? / Pastors And Tithes, Why Can't They Let Go? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Wedding And Tithes Wahala In My Church by Nobody: 10:47am On Nov 10, 2013
catholics have priest ..Anglican have priest too...

priest ..pastor.. all na d same..
I won't mention any church here

I just need to know if its right which I have already found out from y'all ..and thanks
Re: My Wedding And Tithes Wahala In My Church by Gombs(m): 10:50am On Nov 10, 2013
italo:

Of course I know.

I just want him to clarify for some people here:

Acidosis and Gombs

grin
Re: My Wedding And Tithes Wahala In My Church by Gombs(m): 11:01am On Nov 10, 2013
[size=16pt] AMP:Obey your spiritual leaders and submit to them [continually recognizing their authority over you], for they are constantly keeping watch over your souls and guarding your spiritual welfare, as men who will have to render an account [of their trust]. [Do your part to] let them do this with gladness and not with sighing and groaning, for that would not be profitable to you [either ] [/size]
Hebrews 13v 17

Mellin: catholics have priest ..Anglican have priest too...

I just need to know if its right which I have already found out from y'all ..and thanks

Nice decision...if u mention church name, imagine the bashing the church would have....imagine the insult the priest would get....fraudster, scammer, thief, etc

Let's just leave it as a tithe paying/ teaching Church...but Op, here is not the right place to discuss this, u said u have been there all ur life, from ur childhood...u could have met other priests, or deacon or something, if u are not convinced wifh what they tell u, u can then quietly leave the church without stiring strife or recourse.

But my advice is...submit to those who have authorithy over you in the spirit....as the author of Hebrews said above...if they are wrong, that verse said they will give account...just pay yhe said amount and move on...if u can pay the money which am sure u can, why the publicity then? The author above said, it will not profit u
Re: My Wedding And Tithes Wahala In My Church by italo: 11:02am On Nov 10, 2013

Understandable.
Re: My Wedding And Tithes Wahala In My Church by woky: 11:37am On Nov 10, 2013

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha NL no go kill me wit laff

so u no get liver, guts, kidney, moral etc etc to mention the name of ya church huh!. Shame on u!
Re: My Wedding And Tithes Wahala In My Church by Nobody: 11:50am On Nov 10, 2013
Acidosis:

Some churches keep record of Tithes and pledges.

From Orthodox to some pentecostals.
Re: My Wedding And Tithes Wahala In My Church by Nobody: 12:04pm On Nov 10, 2013
I did my wedding at the registry and I never invited a single person from my church. They just saw I am married and everyone just shove it in.
Re: My Wedding And Tithes Wahala In My Church by ukotmi: 3:42pm On Nov 10, 2013
Iceman296:
No Catholic Church Keeps record of Tithe Payment.

Hi, St Joseph Catholic Church Mgbidi Imo State came up with a scheme called envelope sunday. You are given an envelope and a number. On a particular sunday in a month, your giving will be in that special envelope. It was fashioned after tithe and tithe cards. It was tithe in another. The money you are supposed to give is graded. Later, the envelope will be returned to you for the next envelope sunday.
I recall my grandfather's last wife who should be in her 80's then bin told her giving was lower than level. Her envelope was returned with a note telling her the shortfall she need to make up. We laughed and laughed.
So where are the peeps saying no catholic church keeps record of tithe payment. Even the parish priest who introduced it made reference to tithe.
Re: My Wedding And Tithes Wahala In My Church by italo: 5:10pm On Nov 10, 2013
Double post
Re: My Wedding And Tithes Wahala In My Church by italo: 5:11pm On Nov 10, 2013
ukotmi:

Hi, St Joseph Catholic Church Mgbidi Imo State came up with a scheme called envelope sunday. You are given an envelope and a number. On a particular sunday in a month, your giving will be in that special envelope. It was fashioned after tithe and tithe cards. It was tithe in another. The money you are supposed to give is graded. Later, the envelope will be returned to you for the next envelope sunday.
I recall my grandfather's last wife who should be in her 80's then bin told her giving was lower than level. Her envelope was returned with a note telling her the shortfall she need to make up. We laughed and laughed.
So where are the peeps saying no catholic church keeps record of tithe payment. Even the parish priest who introduced it made reference to tithe.

If your account is accurate, this is new and distasteful to my ears.
Re: My Wedding And Tithes Wahala In My Church by Oduduwaboy(m): 5:26pm On Nov 10, 2013
...Record of tithes ? as in list of names of people paying tithes ? na wa o!

Are rewards and judgement no more in the afterlife ? *smiling * .....christianity is getting confused !!! Well people are asking questions now. It is only a matter of time before the lies of religion are wholly exposed .
Re: My Wedding And Tithes Wahala In My Church by Gombs(m): 6:02pm On Nov 10, 2013
italo:

So you tot we were making everything up? grin

Oya now that you know Catholics do...go and start paying your tithes, be a good flock or port from the roman catholic church.

grin preach to chukwudi44 too. Or would you call the priests there thieves, scammers, fraudsters, crooks etc as anti tithers do?

Chukwudi44 should remember I told him st Murumba church pay and teach tithing, he said that catholic churches don preach tithing

If he deny he said that, I'd pull the thread out.
Re: My Wedding And Tithes Wahala In My Church by Nobody: 6:03pm On Nov 10, 2013
ukotmi:

That parish priest should be sanctioned!! He is a very big disgrace to the Catholic church.That Practice is not in consonance with the teaching of the church and not contained in the Cathchism of the Catholic Church
Re: My Wedding And Tithes Wahala In My Church by Gombs(m): 6:10pm On Nov 10, 2013
chukwudi44:

That parish priest should be sanctioned!! He is a very big disgrace to the Catholic church. That Practice is not in consonance with the teaching of the church and not contained in the Cathchism of the Catholic Church

grin grin

Cardinal Chukwudi oya go sanction him...you go soon tell me whether diocese of Imo no know the activities of their priest? Or would you call that priest or the Bishop of Imo state a thief? grin
Re: My Wedding And Tithes Wahala In My Church by Gombs(m): 6:18pm On Nov 10, 2013
This one that NL catholics don't know about catholic church tithes, its either dey just stop by the church every sunday 6am mass and that's it or that their own church is different from other catholic churches.

Me thinks His Holiness Cardinal Chukwudi should defrock all those priests receiving and preaching tithing... Your Holiness sir, I think the pope should hear this. They should be sanctioned because [size=32pt] "That Practice is not in consonance with the teaching of the church and not contained in the Cathchism of the Catholic Church" [/size]

grin

1 Like

Re: My Wedding And Tithes Wahala In My Church by italo: 6:48pm On Nov 10, 2013
Although the Church teaches that offering some form of material support to the Church is obligatory for all Catholic adults who are able to do so, it doesn't specify what percent of one's income should be given. Remember, tithing was an Old Testament obligation that was incumbent on the Jews under the Law of Moses. Christians are dispensed from the obligation of tithing ten percent of their incomes, but not from the obligation to help the Church.

The key to understanding how God wants us to give to the Church is found in 1 Corinthians 16:2, "On the first day of the week [Sunday] each of you should set aside whatever he can afford," and in 2 Corinthians 9:5-8,

"So I thought it necessary to encourage the brothers to go on ahead to you and arrange in advance for your promised gift [donation], so that in this way it might be ready as a bountiful gift and not as an exaction. Consider this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. Each must do as already determined without sadness or compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. Moreover, God is able to make every grace abundant for you, so that in all things, always having all you need, you may have an abundance for every good work."

To paraphrase: God doesn't demand a fixed amount of money from us; he wants us to give from the heart. If people are forced by their church to give a certain percent of their income, that's extortion. If they give freely and cheerfully the amount they are able, that's a gift.

http://www.catholic.com/quickquestions/what-is-the-churchs-position-on-tithing
Re: My Wedding And Tithes Wahala In My Church by Gombs(m): 6:54pm On Nov 10, 2013
italo:
Although the Church teaches that offering some form of material support to the Church is obligatory for all Catholic adults who are able to do so, it doesn't specify what percent of one's income should be given. Remember, tithing was an Old Testament obligation that was incumbent on the Jews under the Law of Moses. Christians are dispensed from the obligation of tithing ten percent of their incomes, but not from the obligation to help the Church.

The key to understanding how God wants us to give to the Church is found in 1 Corinthians 16:2, "On the first day of the week [Sunday] each of you should set aside whatever he can afford," and in 2 Corinthians 9:5-8,

"So I thought it necessary to encourage the brothers to go on ahead to you and arrange in advance for your promised gift [donation], so that in this way it might be ready as a bountiful gift and not as an exaction. Consider this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. Each must do as already determined without sadness or compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. Moreover, God is able to make every grace abundant for you, so that in all things, always having all you need, you may have an abundance for every good work."

To paraphrase: God doesn't demand a fixed amount of money from us; he wants us to give from the heart. If people are forced by their church to give a certain percent of their income, that's extortion. If they give freely and cheerfully the amount they are able, that's a gift.

http://www.catholic.com/quickquestions/what-is-the-churchs-position-on-tithing

Here we go again

grin grin
Re: My Wedding And Tithes Wahala In My Church by italo: 6:56pm On Nov 10, 2013
Gombs:

So you tot we were making everything up? grin
I dont remember discussing tithe with you.
Gombs: Oya now that you know Catholics do...go and start paying your tithes, be a good flock or port from the roman catholic church.
The Church doesnt teach it and the Imo story hasnt been confirmed.
Gombs: grin preach to chukwudi44 too. Or would you call the priests there thieves, scammers, fraudsters, crooks etc as anti tithers do?
I cannot judge on what I have not confirmed and without the Priests' side of the story. I'm not a Pentecostal.
Gombs: Chukwudi44 should remember I told him st Murumba church pay and teach tithing, he said that catholic churches don preach tithing
The Church doesnt teach tithing. That is easily verifiable.
Re: My Wedding And Tithes Wahala In My Church by Gombs(m): 6:59pm On Nov 10, 2013
italo:
I dont remember discussing tithe with you.

The Church doesnt teach it and the Imo story hasnt been confirmed.

I cannot judge on what I have not confirmed and without the Priests' side of the story. I'm not a Pentecostal.

The Church doesnt teach tithing. That is easily verifiable.

Ok let's wait till YOU confirm it
Re: My Wedding And Tithes Wahala In My Church by Nobody: 7:30pm On Nov 10, 2013
Gombs: This one
that NL catholics don't know about catholic church tithes, its either
dey just stop by the church every sunday 6am mass and that's it or that
their own church is different from other catholic churches.

Me thinks His Holiness Cardinal Chukwudi should defrock all those
priests receiving and preaching tithing... Your Holiness sir, I think
the pope should hear this. They should be sanctioned because [size=32pt]
"That Practice is not in consonance with the teaching of the church and
not contained in the Cathchism of the Catholic Church" [/size]

grin
:gringringrin
Re: My Wedding And Tithes Wahala In My Church by ajayikayod: 9:34pm On Nov 10, 2013
Gombs: [size=16pt] AMP:Obey your spiritual leaders and submit to them [continually recognizing their authority over you], for they are constantly keeping watch over your souls and guarding your spiritual welfare, as men who will have to render an account [of their trust]. [Do your part to] let them do this with gladness and not with sighing and groaning, for that would not be profitable to you [either ] [/size]
Hebrews 13v 17

Nice decision...if u mention church name, imagine the bashing the church would have....imagine the insult the priest would get....fraudster, scammer, thief, etc

Let's just leave it as a tithe paying/ teaching Church...but Op, here is not the right place to discuss this, u said u have been there all ur life, from ur childhood...u could have met other priests, or deacon or something, if u are not convinced wifh what they tell u, u can then quietly leave the church without stiring strife or recourse.

But my advice is...submit to those who have authorithy over you in the spirit....as the author of Hebrews said above...if they are wrong, that verse said they will give account...just pay yhe said amount and [size=14pt]move on[/size]...if u can pay the money which am sure u can, why the publicity then? The author above said, it will not profit u

Mellin: pls what do I do?cos I really don't understand my priest ..

I agreed fully wit u to go ahead and mak d payment if dt is whr he chose to hav his wedding (u hav 2 obey d principles thr).

But on d MOVE ON, I think it should b "ESCAPE FROM SUCH PLACE AFTER D WEDDING" without causing division, quarrel or backbiting. because if dts a doctrine/principle in such church, it will still come appearing time and time again and u wont b able to stand and say ur mind against a church doctrine because dt will can lead to division and strife in such place (nah left foot of fellowship go follow o).

But seriously, wit d way u come on NL to talk about ds, ur mind is not really in dt place "again". If u r learned in d scriptures and not just going to dance in church, follow d leading and understanding givin to u by d Spirit and act likewise.

But from experience, i can suggest dt:

1. If u r convinced dt ur priest/pastor has been and u still trust he remains a blessing to u all thru, dt u can uphold him as "God sent" even in his errors then walk up to him and explain ur mind wit all respect and humility, dont insist but agree in submission to do wat d church stands for (ds require lot of wisdom) but possible. Then continue thr in submission.

2. If u kno dt ds wont allow u to regard him (priest/pastor) again, then bro, pack ur load after wedding and find a place of worship b4 u become a rebel and disobey authority.
Re: My Wedding And Tithes Wahala In My Church by ukotmi: 9:42pm On Nov 10, 2013
italo:

It is not new. Btw 1994-1995. The parish priest holds a PhD in church history. He is a family friend in a way. He is in his 70s now. I have his number.

2 Likes

Re: My Wedding And Tithes Wahala In My Church by ukotmi: 10:02pm On Nov 10, 2013
chukwudi44:

That parish priest should be sanctioned!! He is a very big disgrace to the Catholic church.That Practice is not in consonance with the teaching of the church and not contained in the Cathchism of the Catholic Church

Don't work yourself up. A lot of parishes in Orlu Diocese do it. What is the function of AMC card? Annual mission collection card. Even some of the charismatic groups in different parishes collect tithes.
It may not be a major teaching but it is there. Check the parishes in Igbo land.
The way some of the priests pull for money and hobnob with politicians is sometings else.
But there are principled priests like Archbishop Obinna of Owerri. The former parish priest in my place was very hot on politicians and evil men. They ran away from the church bc of him. He settled a lot of family fights over land.
I used to be a proper catholic and a top leader of charismatic renewal. We use to go from parish to parish to conduct life in the spirit seminars etc. I became deputy general leader of my prayer group in 1988. The prayer group was established around 1984-5.
Re: My Wedding And Tithes Wahala In My Church by ukotmi: 10:17pm On Nov 10, 2013
GOMBs, Bidam,some of us were serious catholics well schooled in the doctrines of the church before seeing the light. Some catholics are only catholic in name and don't know the doctrines. Some are not serious participants in activities at their home (home town) parishes. They stay in Lagos and Abuja etc and claim catholics.
Go to the igbo villages and towns and see what is happening.
Re: My Wedding And Tithes Wahala In My Church by Gombs(m): 11:12pm On Nov 10, 2013
ukotmi: GOMBs, Bidam,some of us were serious catholics well schooled in the doctrines of the church before seeing the light. Some catholics are only catholic in name and don't know the doctrines. Some are not serious participants in activities at their home (home town) parishes. They stay in Lagos and Abuja etc and claim catholics.

8000000000zillion likes

I'm sure I can teach a lot of NLder catholics a lot about Catholicism
Re: My Wedding And Tithes Wahala In My Church by Demainman1: 12:02am On Nov 11, 2013
ukotmi: GOMBs, Bidam,some of us were serious catholics well schooled in the doctrines of the church before seeing the light. Some catholics are only catholic in name and don't know the doctrines. Some are not serious participants in activities at their home (home town) parishes. They stay in Lagos and Abuja etc and claim catholics.

We all know that most Igbo Rev. Fathers are thieves, even worst than the Pentecostal pastors. Those Eastern Rev Fathers are only after their stomach and that of their immediate families. Thieves I call them!!. They will go to a community and suck the people dry in the name of doing one church project or the other. You need to see my village church which one of them has been building for over 10 years now with completion not anywhere in sight after spending millions and millions. Every year it is one fund raising or the other. I am sure the guy would have built several housing estates from the money he has been siphoning from the foolish villagers who think that worshiping Revered Father will bring them salvation.

The most annoying thing is the fact that our village school has been in the same state of decay like forever. Nobody is thinking of rebuilding the school where the leaders of tomorrow are taught yet they waste tens of millions building the new church while most the parishioners live in abject poverty.

Igbo Revered Fathers, repent or you will all burn in hell due to your love of money.
Re: My Wedding And Tithes Wahala In My Church by Nobody: 12:51am On Nov 11, 2013

Bros one does not need to go to an igbo village to know a catholic teaching!! The church is global and its official doctrines and practices can easily be sourced online SMH for clowns like you!! Seeing the light indeed
Re: My Wedding And Tithes Wahala In My Church by Nobody: 12:53am On Nov 11, 2013
Bidam: :gringringrin

Bros what is so funny about that?
Re: My Wedding And Tithes Wahala In My Church by Nobody: 12:55am On Nov 11, 2013
Demain_man:

We all know that most Igbo Rev. Fathers are thieves, even worst than the Pentecostal pastors. Those Eastern Rev Fathers are only after their stomach and that of their immediate families. Thieves I call them!!. They will go to a community and suck the people dry in the name of doing one church project or the other. You need to see my village church which one of them has been building for over 10 years now with completion not anywhere in sight after spending millions and millions. Every year it is one fund raising or the other. I am sure the guy would have built several housing estates from the money he has been siphoning from the foolish villagers who think that worshiping Revered Father will bring them salvation.

The most annoying thing is the fact that our village school has been in the same state of decay like forever. Nobody is thinking of rebuilding the school where the leaders of tomorrow are taught yet they waste tens of millions building the new church while most the parishioners live in abject poverty.

Igbo Revered Fathers, repent or you will all burn in hell due to your love of money.

Bros please stop generalising!! We also have crooks from other tribes and other churches
Re: My Wedding And Tithes Wahala In My Church by Nobody: 1:19am On Nov 11, 2013
For the clown who wants to go to igbo villages to confirm the official church doctrines.This is straight from the vatican's official website the cathechism of the catholic church section 2043 which deals with members support to the church

"2043 The fourth precept ("You shall observe the days of fasting and abstinence established by the Church"wink ensures the times of ascesis and penance which prepare us for the liturgical feasts and help us acquire mastery over our instincts and freedom of heart.85

The fifth precept ("You shall help to provide for the needs of the Church"wink means that the faithful are obliged to assist with the material needs of the Church, each according to his own ability.86

The faithful also have the duty of providing for the material needs of the Church, each according to his own abilities."

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p3s1c3a3.htm
Re: My Wedding And Tithes Wahala In My Church by Joagbaje(m): 5:30am On Nov 11, 2013
Tithe records in some churches is sign of commitment . But since you've not been around no one should hold you for it after all you were probably paying tithes where you were.

Mellin: ..I was told to pay certain amount before I could wed in my own church that I have been attending since I was a kid....

There must be some financial commitment , nothing is wrong with that .

Mellin: ...
pls what do I do?cos I really don't understand my priest ..

Is it a Catholic Church ?
Re: My Wedding And Tithes Wahala In My Church by Gombs(m): 5:59am On Nov 11, 2013
Demain_man:

grin grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Top Five Marriage Crisis That Shook The Nigerian Christian Community. / Vijayadashami Dasara Images, Videos Of Ravan Dahan Ramleela Maidan / 10 Proofs From 10 Different Scientists That Heaven Exists.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.