Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,314 members, 7,839,509 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 09:16 PM

My Wedding And Tithes Wahala In My Church - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / My Wedding And Tithes Wahala In My Church (4195 Views)

My Church Is Aware I’m Member Of Ogboni Confraternity —ogunfuwa, Remo Chief. / What Does God Do With All The Money He Recevies From Offering And Tithes? / Pastors And Tithes, Why Can't They Let Go? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Wedding And Tithes Wahala In My Church by ukotmi: 6:10am On Nov 11, 2013
chukwudi44:

Bros one does not need to go to an igbo village to know a catholic teaching!! The church is global and its official doctrines and practices can easily be sourced online SMH for clowns like you!! Seeing the light indeed

I don't like insults. I don't insult people. You can source doctrines online yes. What of actual practices in the igbo parishes? I have solid catholic background. Became a communicant in 1979, confirmed in 1982.
Those, you need to pass your test/exam before bin allowed to receive the sacraments. I was never a nominal catholic but strong and well versed in the sacred tradtions of the church.
I wish we can meet face to face and discuss church doctrines without going online. I have seen the light. Lumen Christ.

1 Like

Re: My Wedding And Tithes Wahala In My Church by Gombs(m): 6:15am On Nov 11, 2013
chukwudi44: For the clown who wants to go to igbo villages to confirm the official church doctrines.This is straight from the vatican's official website the cathechism of the catholic church section 2043 which deals with members support to the church

"2043 The fourth precept ("You shall observe the days of fasting and abstinence established by the Church"wink ensures the times of ascesis and penance which prepare us for the liturgical feasts and help us acquire mastery over our instincts and freedom of heart.85

The fifth precept ("You shall help to provide for the needs of the Church"wink means that the faithful are obliged to assist with the material needs of the Church, each according to his own ability.86

The faithful also have the duty of providing for the material needs of the Church, each according to his own abilities."

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p3s1c3a3.htm

I'm with you on this my Cardinal, I suggest we report to the Pope...those priests including the bishop must be sanctioned because "That Practice is not in consonance with the teaching
of the church and not contained in the Cathchism of the Catholic Church"
Re: My Wedding And Tithes Wahala In My Church by Nobody: 6:27am On Nov 11, 2013
ukotmi:

I don't like insults. I don't insult people. You can source doctrines online yes. What of actual practices in the igbo parishes? I have solid catholic background. Became a communicant in 1979, confirmed in 1982.
Those, you need to pass your test/exam before bin allowed to receive the sacraments. I was never a nominal catholic but strong and well versed in the sacred tradtions of the church.
I wish we can meet face to face and discuss church doctrines without going online. I have seen the light. Lumen Christ.

Bros not every igbo parishes do this and I can confidently tell you that more than 99.9% of the parishes do not do this.I attended churches in the east for years and not for once did I hear anybody mention tithes let alone tithe cards.
Re: My Wedding And Tithes Wahala In My Church by Gombs(m): 7:11am On Nov 11, 2013
chukwudi44:

Bros not every igbo parishes do this and I can confidently tell you that more than 99.9% of the parishes do not do this.I attended churches in the east for years and not for once did I hear anybody mention tithes let alone tithe cards.

Yes your holiness,
That's because "That Practice is not in consonance with the teaching of the church and not contained in the Cathchism of the Catholic Church"

The Pope must do something about this. Let me contact His Holiness, John Olorunfemi Cardinal Onaiyekan,he is Archbishop of Abuja, the Cardinal-Priest of San Saturnino and Apostolic Administrator of Ahiara
Let me make a formal reporting or wait a while longer?
Re: My Wedding And Tithes Wahala In My Church by try69: 7:23am On Nov 11, 2013
ukotmi: GOMBs, Bidam,some of us were serious catholics well schooled in the doctrines of the church before seeing the light. Some catholics are only catholic in name and don't know the doctrines. Some are not serious participants in activities at their home (home town) parishes. They stay in Lagos and Abuja etc and claim catholics.
Go to the igbo villages and towns and see what is happening.

From what I can deduce up, there is no light in the catholic church? Ok!

Can you kindly let us know where this light led you to? I'm interested.. Do not be ashamed to proclaim and stand for your faith..
You people can be very funny, you have seen light grin

One thing I know about the catholic church is she has her stand on issues ranging from morals to theology and are easily sourced from libraries and the internet. Some of those praising you for seeing light grin are the same people their G.O told to self service freely.

What is important here is the church's stand on tithes and that has been shown to you..and I don't believe any reverend father preaches malachi even if he names his collection "tithe".

It is not enough to say I confirmed in 1845, you were practising what I call "show christianity".. That's what happens in these places of light you may have found yourself because it is suitable for you..

I remember attending a service in one of these bussiness centers and the female minister who presided (because her husband who is senior pastor was away) even if they were other male pastors said, she used to follow her parents to church and hymns are sang and that those hymns do not move her spirit..smh.. She even sang "stand up, stand up for Jesus" to burtress her point... It is actually some 1990's american pop styled xtian songs she prefers where jazz drums and other types of loud instruments are used that suits her..I personally don't av a problem with that but why condemn hymns for pete's sakes?

PROTESTIANISM is actually a case of "I know more than my father".. That's why after luther left, his children children children are still leaving their fathers and what do you get? More churches that claim to have the brighter light grin grin It's easily inferred
Re: My Wedding And Tithes Wahala In My Church by Demainman1: 8:49am On Nov 11, 2013
CATHOLIC CHURCH DO NOT PREACH TITHE. I AM ONE SO I SHOULD KNOW. IF A REVERED FATHER DECIDES TO PUT HIS CONGREGANTS IN FINANCIAL BONDAGE BECAUSE OF HIS LOVE FOR MONEY. HE IS THE PROBLEM AND NOT THE CHURCH.
Re: My Wedding And Tithes Wahala In My Church by ukotmi: 8:54am On Nov 11, 2013
try69:

From what I can deduce up, there is no light in the catholic church? Ok!

Can you kindly let us know where this light led you to? I'm interested.. Do not be ashamed to proclaim and stand for your faith..
You people can be very funny, you have seen light grin

PROTESTIANISM is actually a case of "I know more than my father".. That's why after luther left, his children children children are still leaving their fathers and what do you get? More churches that claim to have the brighter light grin grin It's easily inferred

Please take time and read my background in other threads. I have never condemned the Catholic Church. I got born again in the Charismatic Renewal in 1988. baptized in the Spirit with evidence of speaking in other tongues in 1989. So seeing the light to me means getting answers to questions the Catholic Faith could not answer adequately.
There are Catholics who are born again and Spirit filled. There are Spirit filled priests also like the late Rev Father Stephen Njoku among others.
Please read why the Pope who convened the Second Vatican Council called for the '
opening of the Church windows' for fresh air. That prayer led to the Charismatic Renewal. The Foundation of the Charismatic Renewal lies in the pentecostal movement.

2 Likes

Re: My Wedding And Tithes Wahala In My Church by Demainman1: 8:58am On Nov 11, 2013
chukwudi44:

Bros please stop generalising!! We also have crooks from other tribes and other churches

I said 'most' sir, not all. You will agree with me a lot of our Revered Fathers especially the modern ones became priest mostly due to poverty in their families and lack of opportunities in Nigeria. They went in as the sacrificial lamb that will liberate their families from financial bondage, hence they device all sorts of means to make money from their parishes to achieve this aim. It used to be a case that a revered father do not own a house of his own and are buried in the parish when they die. Not anymore, this days they compete with politicians on the types of estate they build and the types of SUVs they drive.
Re: My Wedding And Tithes Wahala In My Church by Nobody: 9:16am On Nov 11, 2013
ukotmi:

Please take time and read my background in other threads. I have never condemned the Catholic Church. I got born again in the Charismatic Renewal in 1988. baptized in the Spirit with evidence of speaking in other tongues in 1989. So seeing the light to me means getting answers to questions the Catholic Faith could not answer adequately.
There are Catholics who are born again and Spirit filled. There are Spirit filled priests also like the late Rev Father Stephen Njoku among others.
Please read why the Pope who convened the Second Vatican Council called for the '
opening of the Church windows' for fresh air. That prayer led to the Charismatic Renewal. The Foundation of the Charismatic Renewal lies in the pentecostal movement.
Very good response @ ukotmi
Re: My Wedding And Tithes Wahala In My Church by Gombs(m): 9:27am On Nov 11, 2013
Demain_man:

I said 'most' sir, not all. You will agree with me a lot of our Revered Fathers especially the modern ones became priest mostly due to poverty in their families and lack of opportunities in Nigeria. They went in as the sacrificial lamb that will liberate their families from financial bondage, hence they device all sorts of means to make money from their parishes to achieve this aim. It used to be a case that a revered father do not own a house of his own and are buried in the parish when they die. Not anymore, this days they compete with politicians on the types of estate they build and the types of SUVs they drive.

How dare u!?
Don't you fear the wrath of God?
Re: My Wedding And Tithes Wahala In My Church by italo: 10:15am On Nov 11, 2013
ukotmi:

It is not new. Btw 1994-1995. The parish priest holds a PhD in church history. He is a family friend in a way. He is in his 70s now. I have his number.

If your account is accurate, thank you for telling us.
Re: My Wedding And Tithes Wahala In My Church by try69: 10:36am On Nov 11, 2013
ukotmi:

I can understand

Wouldn't change my stand on ur case though

I know a lot of people like this, they can't even see the whole truth elsewhere.. Most start up their own ministry

Your case is still a case of "I too know"

Can you beat what the church teaches on MORALITY which for me is utmost in this complex world we live in
Re: My Wedding And Tithes Wahala In My Church by italo: 11:02am On Nov 11, 2013
ukotmi:

Don't work yourself up. A lot of parishes in Orlu Diocese do it. What is the function of AMC card? Annual mission collection card.

Aha! Story don dey change. Do you know what we mean by tithe, Sir? Tithe means that each individual is obliged to remit 10% of his/her earnings to the Church. Failure to do it means you have not kept one of God's ordinances.
AMC Card is not obligatory. There are many collections that are made in the different areas of the Catholic Church, not just AMC. They are voluntary. You are obliged to give material help to the Church but no fixed amount. If you're forced to give a certain amount, thats extortion.

It is a different case when I pick up a card, pledging to make a contribution I decided on my own. There is absolutely nothing wrong if the Church calls me to remind me of my pledge.
ukotmi: Even some of the charismatic groups in different parishes collect tithes.
Look, many Catholics on their own like to give 10% on their own because they copy from the old testament and other people. The Catholic Church doesnt make it obligatory to give a certain amount. Just like many Catholics like to fast from 6 - 6 during Lent but the Catholic Church only says "eat one major meal a day and two small meals that dont add up to a full meal a day."
ukotmi: It may not be a major teaching but it is there. Check the parishes in Igbo land.
The way some of the priests pull for money and hobnob with politicians is sometings else.
But there are principled priests like Archbishop Obinna of Owerri. The former parish priest in my place was very hot on politicians and evil men. They ran away from the church bc of him. He settled a lot of family fights over land.
I used to be a proper catholic and a top leader of charismatic renewal. We use to go from parish to parish to conduct life in the spirit seminars etc. I became deputy general leader of my prayer group in 1988. The prayer group was established around 1984-5.

I thought you were accurate about the tight issue, but you're not.

It is not a major teaching. It is not a minor teaching. It is not a teaching of the Catholic Church. What you are describing is not tithe.

1 Like

Re: My Wedding And Tithes Wahala In My Church by italo: 11:07am On Nov 11, 2013
ukotmi: GOMBs, Bidam,some of us were serious catholics well schooled in the doctrines of the church before seeing the light. Some catholics are only catholic in name and don't know the doctrines. Some are not serious participants in activities at their home (home town) parishes. They stay in Lagos and Abuja etc and claim catholics.
Go to the igbo villages and towns and see what is happening.

Do we have to be in our home town Parishes to be good, active and faithful Catholics?

So you were a more active Catholic than the Pope and Cardinal Arinze because they are not in their home town?

Is the Catholic faith confined to a particular geographical location?

Is that what the Catholic doctrine you know tells you?
Re: My Wedding And Tithes Wahala In My Church by italo: 11:15am On Nov 11, 2013
chukwudi44:

I think the man is generalizing.

What he refers to tithe might be some other collection which his grandpa's last wife willingly undertook.

I think.

1 Like

Re: My Wedding And Tithes Wahala In My Church by Nobody: 11:31am On Nov 11, 2013
italo:

What he refers to tithe might be some other collection which his grandpa's last wife willingly undertook.

I think.
Why not focus on issues rather than personal unwarranted attacks on the poster.
Re: My Wedding And Tithes Wahala In My Church by ukotmi: 12:10pm On Nov 11, 2013
italo:

I think.

SMH....My grandpa last wife was extorted. A widow with no means of income.
No need posting again. I was a catholic well versed in the teachings and doctrines of the church. I left fully in 2000.
Count my number of years of faithful service in the Charismatic Renewal,Steward, Singing Ministry, Teaching Ministry and Healing Ministry.
I must have gathered some deep knowledge and experience along the line. Uptill now, i am on the mail list of some Catholic groups.
Re: My Wedding And Tithes Wahala In My Church by italo: 12:41pm On Nov 11, 2013
ukotmi:

SMH....My grandpa last wife was extorted. A widow with no means of income.
No need posting again. I was a catholic well versed in the teachings and doctrines of the church. I left fully in 2000.
Count my number of years of faithful service in the Charismatic Renewal,Steward, Singing Ministry, Teaching Ministry and Healing Ministry.
I must have gathered some deep knowledge and experience along the line. Uptill now, i am on the mail list of some Catholic groups.

All these 'achievements' dont mean that you cannot be lying or misrepresenting the truth on this matter.

So far, it is only your word that you have to prove that you grandma was extorted and it could be false as far as we know.

The Catholic Church doesnt teach tithing. Period!

Take it to Rome, Zagreb, Buenos Aires and back. We dont teach tithing.

The Catechism is CLEAR on that.

Dont get me wrong, I'm not attacking you. Like I said earlier, if your account is accurate, I'm thankful to you.

But from other things you daid, you are describing things OTHER THAN tithe.

And you havent given us reason to believe that your grandma didnt voluntarily decide to make a pledge or periodic contributions for any reason in the Church.

If she did, I wouldn't blame the Church for writing her to remind her or something like that.

Too many unknown factors are involved so I cannot judge.

The only known factor is[b] that the Catholic Church doesnt teach tithing.[/b]

1 Like

Re: My Wedding And Tithes Wahala In My Church by italo: 12:42pm On Nov 11, 2013
Bidam: Why not focus on issues rather than personal unwarranted attacks on the poster.

Since when did saying "I think the man is generalizing" become an attack?

And is saying "what he refers to tithe might be some other collection which his grandpa's last wife willingly undertook" not talking about the issue?

Why not focus on improving your reasoning skills instead of going about finding faults?

2 Likes

Re: My Wedding And Tithes Wahala In My Church by Tonalphs(f): 7:53pm On Nov 12, 2013
I fink ur priest luvs u d most cos askin 4 ur tithe shows hez vry intrested in ur comitment n future family n wel bein cos he doesnt want d devorer 2 rest in ur mariage that is if u kno d power of payin tithe. Havent u seen wedin take place n d nxt tin is dat 1 of em died or both? Dats d devorer @ work but if u pay ur tithe God says he'l tak d devorer away 4u. Ur priest jus nids an evidence dat ur a tither dats al cos it seems he dint see ur nam in d general bk

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My Opinion And Big Question For Atheists / Top Five Marriage Crisis That Shook The Nigerian Christian Community. / Vijayadashami Dasara Images, Videos Of Ravan Dahan Ramleela Maidan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.