Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,203 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:59 AM

Fuel Gauge Problem - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Fuel Gauge Problem (4549 Views)

My Fuel Gauge Drop Flat ....................please Help / Fuel Gauge Issues! / What Does Your Coolant Gauge Read? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fuel Gauge Problem by Nobody: 9:46pm On Nov 09, 2013
Just changed my fuel pump after it failed. Had to get the complete unit
I have gas at half-tank full, but right now, the fuel gauge on the dashboard is showing Zero (empty with the light on)
Had to call an auto-electrician, who brought it out and tested it by moving the floater up and down
It was registering on the dashboard, but when we fixed it back inside the tank and cover it, it wont register any reading.
OK, I topped with 20 litres of gas just to be sure, the same thing.
But when we bring it outside the fuel tank and test it, it works perfectly.
Just confused.
Re: Fuel Gauge Problem by baconline(m): 6:23am On Nov 10, 2013
I am currently having the same problem
Re: Fuel Gauge Problem by glolomoh: 8:43am On Nov 10, 2013
Nothing so serious. Simply take it back to the mechanic/electrician that fixed the pump to reconnect the guage switch. It must have been tampered with when uninstalling and reinstalling those pumps
Re: Fuel Gauge Problem by Nobody: 10:47am On Nov 10, 2013
baconline: I am currently having the same problem

That makes us two.
Re: Fuel Gauge Problem by Nobody: 1:49pm On Nov 10, 2013
mxxpunkxx!, we're supposed to guess the make, model and year of your car, right?

Your gauge is reading wrong, because your "mechanic" has not installed the combined fuel pump and sender (fuel delivery unit) correctly. He has most likely got the orientation wrong, or the float is being trapped by the fuel lines coming off the fuel pump.

There is usually an arrow on the plastic housing, that MUST be aligned with the pointer on the body of the car, or fuel tank. It is essential these marks are correctly aligned, and the float is free to rise and fall within the tank, without fouling on the fuel lines or pump wire feeds.

Please, next time you're posting a query, state the make, model and year of your car, as well as engine size.
Re: Fuel Gauge Problem by Nobody: 7:07pm On Nov 10, 2013
Siena: mxxpunkxx!, we're supposed to guess the make, model and year of your car, right?
You never cease to amaze me with this infamous line.
Well, it's a Nissan Altima '03 2.5S base (2.5 L Inline 4-cylinder)
I had actually emailed you if you could help purchase a fuel pump over there . .
but got no response.
Re: Fuel Gauge Problem by ZIMDRILL(m): 8:38pm On Nov 10, 2013
mxxpunkxx!:
Just changed my fuel pump after it failed. Had to get the complete unit
I have gas at half-tank full, but right now, the fuel gauge on the dashboard is showing Zero (empty with the light on)
Had to call an auto-electrician, who brought it out and tested it by moving the floater up and down
It was registering on the dashboard, but when we fixed it back inside the tank and cover it, it wont register any reading.
OK, I topped with 20 litres of gas just to be sure, the same thing.
But when we bring it outside the fuel tank and test it, it works perfectly.
Just confused.

ask your auto electrican to do this put back the old pump and see if it gauges reads fine if it does it tells you twon things 1 the wires from the pump connection to the dashboard gauge are fine 2 the new pump fuel gauge is faulty
Re: Fuel Gauge Problem by Nobody: 9:23pm On Nov 10, 2013
ZIM DRILL: ask your auto electrican to do this put back the old pump and see if it gauges reads fine if it does it tells you twon things 1 the wires from the pump connection to the dashboard gauge are fine 2 the new pump fuel gauge is faulty

From what the OP's posted, the new fuel delivery unit's fine. The gauge reads fine when the float arm is lifted and released manually, when the unit is out of the tank. So it's a float fouling issue.
Re: Fuel Gauge Problem by Nobody: 9:34pm On Nov 10, 2013
Siena:

...The gauge reads fine when the float arm is lifted and released manually, when the unit is out of the tank.

Exactly!!!
Re: Fuel Gauge Problem by ZIMDRILL(m): 9:48pm On Nov 10, 2013
Siena:

From what the OP's posted, the new fuel delivery unit's fine. The gauge reads fine when the float arm is lifted and released manually, when the unit is out of the tank. So it's a float fouling issue.

the check the angle of float compare it with the old one
Re: Fuel Gauge Problem by debanj326: 6:28pm On Dec 10, 2016
Help, my fuel gauge couldn't read beyond half tank ( on the dash board) even when the tank is filled with fuel.

Thanks
Re: Fuel Gauge Problem by HazzanTazzan(m): 9:26pm On Dec 10, 2016
Be sure the fuel pump is exactly for Nissan Altima 2.5 and not just any Nissan car ...

Before I Cld get out of this same situation, I had to buy a complete fuel tank for Nissan Altima 2.5 at 19k (as I was told) and not a worked one ...
Re: Fuel Gauge Problem by BushDoctor123: 9:01pm On Mar 23, 2017
Hello house, my Toyota sienna 2000 model fuel gauge indicator is not reading accurately even when the fuel gauge indicator is almost half full. it suddenly dropped from the half tank it was to zero level even after it is topped up. the funny part is the fuel gauge indicator does not illuminate or light up at zero level. but am sure i still have reasonable amount of fuel in the tank. pls kindly advise me on what to do before my mechanic/auto electrician compound the problem. thanks.

(1) (Reply)

Which Car Is Most Common On Naija Road? / Maintenance Light On My Baby Boy. / DIY; Cleaning Dirty Headlights 2003 Accord (includes Front Bumper Removal)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.