Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,452 members, 7,954,775 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 09:02 AM

REVEALED: Nigeria Now Producing Armoured Vehicles - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / REVEALED: Nigeria Now Producing Armoured Vehicles (3983 Views)

Nigerian Military Now Sells The Igirigi Armoured Vehicle Abroad / Military Captures Armoured Vehicles, Artillery Guns Overnight (pic) / Nigeria Has Been Named The Fourth Highest Importer Of Armoured Vehicles In The W (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

REVEALED: Nigeria Now Producing Armoured Vehicles by IamDrock(m): 6:44am On Nov 10, 2013
As interest in armoured luxury cars rises among the upper class, some Nigerian auto firms have intensified research work on the armouring technology.
Already, an indigenous automobile manufacturer, Proforce Limited, has commenced the production of Armoured Personnel Carriers.
Proforce said it had sealed a pact with Defence Industries Corporation and some para-military organisations for the production.
The Minister of Aviation, Ms. Stella Oduah, is currently facing criticism for allegedly forcing the Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority to buy two armoured cars for her.
Wealthy Nigerians and top public office holders import a number of armoured vehicles.
The Managing Director, Proforce, Mr. Ade Ogundeyin, said in a statement obtained on Friday that his firm was currently working with the Defence Industries on the APCs, just as he stressed it was equipped to armour other categories of vehicles.
He criticised the idea of importing armoured vehicles, saying it did not make economic sense for Nigerians to continue to import what was available locally.
“There is no need for government or anybody to import bulletproof or armoured vehicles. It is a waste of resources.
“Why import at very high cost when there is capacity to produce better vehicles at comparatively lower prices locally? This is an issue I hope the new auto policy will address.”
Ogundeyin said the armouring materials were resistant to AK-47 gunshots and assaults with improvised explosive devices, stressing that the vehicles would run on special flat tyres that could endure several kilometres of journey even when deflated.
The Proforce boss also expressed support for the recently developed auto plan, describing it as one of the best policies of the President Goodluck Jonathan administration.
He said if fully implemented, the document was capable of boosting industrial activities in the sector and contributing towards the achievement of government’s targets for the economy by 2020.
He aligned with the thrusts of the new auto policy, which were to encourage investment, enhance technological development and revive production activities in the industry.
Ogundeyin said, “This is a laudable plan which is capable of transforming the local industry. The impact will be felt in many ways, including the establishment of many small- and medium-scale support industries, job creation and increase in capacity utilisation.
“But a lot will depend on whether government has the will to fully implement the policy, especially the area that concerns their agencies or departments buying locally made vehicles. Another critical area that requires firm action on the side of government is the one that introduces stiffer tariff structure for fully built imported vehicles.”
http://www.nigerianeye.com/2013/11/revealed-nigeria-now-producing-armoured.html?m=1
Re: REVEALED: Nigeria Now Producing Armoured Vehicles by ChimaAgbalajob: 6:49am On Nov 10, 2013
IamD rock: As interest in armoured luxury cars rises among the upper class, some Nigerian auto firms have intensified research work on the armouring technology.
Already, an indigenous automobile manufacturer, Proforce Limited, has commenced the production of Armoured Personnel Carriers.
Proforce said it had sealed a pact with Defence Industries Corporation and some para-military organisations for the production.
The Minister of Aviation, Ms. Stella Oduah, is currently facing criticism for allegedly forcing the Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority to buy two armoured cars for her.
Wealthy Nigerians and top public office holders import a number of armoured vehicles.
The Managing Director, Proforce, Mr. Ade Ogundeyin, said in a statement obtained on Friday that his firm was currently working with the Defence Industries on the APCs, just as he stressed it was equipped to armour other categories of vehicles.
He criticised the idea of importing armoured vehicles, saying it did not make economic sense for Nigerians to continue to import what was available locally.
“There is no need for government or anybody to import bulletproof or armoured vehicles. It is a waste of resources.
“Why import at very high cost when there is capacity to produce better vehicles at comparatively lower prices locally? This is an issue I hope the new auto policy will address.”
Ogundeyin said the armouring materials were resistant to AK-47 gunshots and assaults with improvised explosive devices, stressing that the vehicles would run on special flat tyres that could endure several kilometres of journey even when deflated.
The Proforce boss also expressed support for the recently developed auto plan, describing it as one of the best policies of the President Goodluck Jonathan administration.
He said if fully implemented, the document was capable of boosting industrial activities in the sector and contributing towards the achievement of government’s targets for the economy by 2020.
He aligned with the thrusts of the new auto policy, which were to encourage investment, enhance technological development and revive production activities in the industry.
Ogundeyin said, “This is a laudable plan which is capable of transforming the local industry. The impact will be felt in many ways, including the establishment of many small- and medium-scale support industries, job creation and increase in capacity utilisation.
“But a lot will depend on whether government has the will to fully implement the policy, especially the area that concerns their agencies or departments buying locally made vehicles. Another critical area that requires firm action on the side of government is the one that introduces stiffer tariff structure for fully built imported vehicles.”
http://www.nigerianeye.com/2013/11/revealed-nigeria-now-producing-armoured.html?m=1

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Produce bicycle wheel first, armoured car ko, keke napep ni ! grin

1 Like

Re: REVEALED: Nigeria Now Producing Armoured Vehicles by Nobody: 8:56am On Nov 10, 2013
Chima_Agbalajob:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Produce bicycle wheel first, armoured car ko, keke napep ni ! grin

There really was no reason to quote the whole post, knowing well that your point would be trivial.
Re: REVEALED: Nigeria Now Producing Armoured Vehicles by Nobody: 9:08am On Nov 10, 2013
emmy-richie:

There really was no reason to quote the whole post, knowing well that your point would be trivial.

Obviously the lunkhead you replied doesn't know the difference between armoring a vehicle and producing a vehicle... His problem mainly has to do with the name ADE OGUNDEYIN...
Re: REVEALED: Nigeria Now Producing Armoured Vehicles by 99100(m): 9:16am On Nov 10, 2013
[color=#000099][/color]Proforce limited - sounds more like a training institute. sadProforce limited - sounds more like a training institute.
Re: REVEALED: Nigeria Now Producing Armoured Vehicles by free2ryhme: 10:06am On Nov 10, 2013
How intelligent enough are you not to put a pic of puRpoted aRmoured vehicle
Re: REVEALED: Nigeria Now Producing Armoured Vehicles by naptu2: 10:17am On Nov 10, 2013
naptu2: Anyway, I'm happy that we are getting back on track. In 1988 I was excited when I heard that they were going to commission the first made in Nigeria air force plane ( a trainer/reconnaissance plane), the Air Beetle. I was a bit disappointed when I discovered that it was based on Van's Aircraft. However, it was a beginning.

Air Beetle

Political instability and changes in government meant that we did not improve on that start. The return to democracy has seen us make a fresh start with the following:

Igirigi. An armoured personnel carrier that's built by the Defence Industries Corporation of Nigeria (DICON).

The Prowler. An armoured personnel carrier that's built by the Obasa brothers.

The Proforce Pf1. An armoured personnel carrier that's built by a private nigerian company.
[img]http://beegeagle.files./2012/06/apc.jpg[/img]

NNS Andoni. The first Nigerian built shore patrol boat, it was conceived in 2006 and built by the Nigerian Navy and a private Nigerian company.
[img]http://beegeagle.files./2012/05/nns-andoni-p100vanguard.jpg[/img]

And the Amebo series of drones.
[img]http://beegeagle.files./2012/10/plateau_state_delegation_visit_to_air_force_institute_of_technology_4_20120706_13653689243.jpg[/img]

[img]http://beegeagle.files./2012/07/amebo-2.jpg[/img]

[img]http://beegeagle.files./2012/09/amebo-iii.jpg?w=640[/img]

3 Likes

Re: REVEALED: Nigeria Now Producing Armoured Vehicles by naptu2: 10:18am On Nov 10, 2013
naptu2: Proforce is a private nigerian defence company that manufactures armoured cars, armoured boats, armoured buses and trucks, ballistic helmets and bullet-proof vests. Proforce's website:

http://www.proforcedefence.com/index.php/armoured-products

Johnson and Victor Obasa are brothers from Ekiti State in Nigeria. They graduated from the New York Institute of Technology, returned to Nigeria and set up Obasa Speciality Vehicles (OSV). OSV makes armoured cars, fire fighting vehicles, etc.

Obasa Specialty Vehicles website: http://obasasv.com/products.html

The Defence Industries Corporation of Nigeria (DICON) is a government owned defence company that was established by an act of parliament in 1964. DICON makes armoured personnel carriers, AK47 assault rifles, FN-FAL rifles, ballistic helmets, bullet-proof vests, etc.

DICON's website:
http://www.dicon.gov.ng/index.html

The Air Force Institute of Technology makes the Amebo series of drones and they also developed the bomb detonating robot.

Unfortunately the institute's website is currently down. www.afit-nigeria.org

Etc
Re: REVEALED: Nigeria Now Producing Armoured Vehicles by jpphilips(m): 12:22pm On Nov 10, 2013
@ naptu

there is no doubt our defence contractors have the capacity to produce APCs
my biggest worry are the so called local drones, even during their launch in 2006, those drones were just hardwares kept on display none was operated at the launch neither were they flown nor the command center shown to us.

I still believe recon drone making is not a big deal for our military considering their training and other sundry issues like big budgets etc.

I am worried that these present drones you are showing us are failed projects, the Nigerian drones were not employed in Mali, they were not employed in expertrate rescue missions for which majority of them were failures, our drones are not operational in borno state so where exactly does the army wish to use them?

I don't believe Nigeria has operational local made drones.
Re: REVEALED: Nigeria Now Producing Armoured Vehicles by naptu2: 12:30pm On Nov 10, 2013
jp philips: @ naptu

my biggest worry are the so called local drones, even during their launch in 2006, those drones were just hardwares kept on display none was operated at the launch neither were they flown nor the command center shown to us.

I still believe recon drone making is not a big deal for our military considering their training and other sundry issues like big budgets etc.

I am worried that these present drones you are showing us are failed projects, the Nigerian drones were not employed in Mali, they were not employed in expertrate rescue missions for which majority of them were failures, our drones are not operational in borno state so where exactly does the army wish to use them?

You are both right and wrong. The drones actually fly (give me a minute to get the pics), but, to the best of my knowledge, they are more or less prototypes. Research and development was ongoing when the aerostar/seastar contract ran into difficulties, so the government decided to rush the Amebo project to replace the Aerostar/Seastar.
Re: REVEALED: Nigeria Now Producing Armoured Vehicles by naptu2: 12:34pm On Nov 10, 2013
Amebo in flight.

Horus: [img]http://beegeagle.files./2012/09/amebo-in-flight.jpg[/img]

Made-in-Nigeria Amebo drone in flight

scipher:

Amebo 3
[img]http://beegeagle.files./2012/09/amebo-gcs.jpg?w=960[/img]
Features
• Customisable flight control software
• Waypoint navigation
• High speed real time image processing for onboard Geo-location and Target Tracking•
Up to 40 km VHF communications• Modular and mobile GCSApplication Areas of AMEBO
• Pipeline Monitoring•
Border Patrol•
Mapping•
Traffic Monitoring
• Disaster Monitoring•
Maritime Patrol•
Aerial Surveillance• Pest Monitoring and Control
Re: REVEALED: Nigeria Now Producing Armoured Vehicles by Nobody: 12:35pm On Nov 10, 2013
I was thinking it was Amoured bullet proof cars. Smh angry
Re: REVEALED: Nigeria Now Producing Armoured Vehicles by jpphilips(m): 1:05pm On Nov 10, 2013
naptu2:

You are both right and wrong. The drones actually fly (give me a minute to get the pics), but, to the best of my knowledge, they are more or less prototypes. Research and development was ongoing when the aerostar/seastar contract ran into difficulties, so the government decided to rush the Amebo project to replace the Aerostar/Seastar.

I am convinced that Amebo can fly, I am equally convinced Amebo has a command center (though shabby) however, if Amebo is patrolling the Niger delta pipelines like you claimed, I believe the takeoff and landing will definitely be in the ph NAF base which I have its aerial view locked on sight 247, I have never seen the Amebo on duty.

cosidering that SPDC has been shutting down no fewer than 3 trunk lines weekly, I doubt the efficiency of the Amebo.

in the ops spec you posted, I didn't see any feature that guaratees long hours of flight, large data transfer capability,
I didnt see any night vision capability, I equally didnt see its recon altitude.

in all, I still doubt if Amebo is operational. BTW what is the cost of the Amebo project?
Re: REVEALED: Nigeria Now Producing Armoured Vehicles by naptu2: 1:09pm On Nov 10, 2013
jp philips:

I am convinced that Amebo can fly, I am equally convinced Amebo has a command center (though shabby) however, if Amebo is patrolling the Niger delta pipelines like you claimed, I believe the takeoff and landing will definitely be in the ph NAF base which I have its aerial view locked on sight 247, I have never seen the Amebo on duty.

cosidering that SPDC has been shutting down no fewer than 3 trunk lines weekly, I doubt the efficiency of the Amebo.

in the ops spec you posted, I didn't see any feature that guaratees long hours of flight,
I didnt see any night vision capability, I equally didnt see its recon altitude.

in all, I still doubt if Amebo is operational. BTW what is the cost of the Amebo project?

undecided I didn't claim that the Amebo is patrolling the Niger-Delta pipelines.

naptu2:

Re: REVEALED: Nigeria Now Producing Armoured Vehicles by naptu2: 1:14pm On Nov 10, 2013

Re: REVEALED: Nigeria Now Producing Armoured Vehicles by jpphilips(m): 1:32pm On Nov 10, 2013
naptu2:

undecided I didn't claim that the Amebo is patrolling the Niger-Delta pipelines.

bros na ur ghost post this on your penultimate post?

"Areas of
AMEBO
• Pipeline Monitoring•"

Niger delta has the highest number of operational pipelines in Nigeria so what exactly is Amebo monitoring?
Re: REVEALED: Nigeria Now Producing Armoured Vehicles by Marotzke(m): 1:38pm On Nov 10, 2013
jp philips:

bros na ur ghost post this on your penultimate post?

"Areas of
AMEBO
• Pipeline Monitoring•"

Niger delta has the highest number of operational pipelines in Nigeria so what exactly is Amebo monitoring?
I believe he meant possible areas of deployment.
Re: REVEALED: Nigeria Now Producing Armoured Vehicles by naptu2: 1:40pm On Nov 10, 2013
This was your first post (note the part in bold type).

This was my response (note the part in bold type).

naptu2:

Then I posted the pictures of the command centre and amebo in flight (note the names of the posters).

Amebo in flight.

Horus: [img]http://beegeagle.files./2012/09/amebo-in-flight.jpg[/img]

Made-in-Nigeria Amebo drone in flight

scipher:

Amebo 3
[img]http://beegeagle.files./2012/09/amebo-gcs.jpg?w=960[/img]
Features
• Customisable flight control software
• Waypoint navigation
• High speed real time image processing for onboard Geo-location and Target Tracking•
Up to 40 km VHF communications• Modular and mobile GCSApplication Areas of AMEBO
• Pipeline Monitoring•
Border Patrol•
Mapping•
Traffic Monitoring
• Disaster Monitoring•
Maritime Patrol•
Aerial Surveillance• Pest Monitoring and Control

How does that translate to me "claiming that amebo is used in pipeline monitoring"?
Re: REVEALED: Nigeria Now Producing Armoured Vehicles by jpphilips(m): 1:52pm On Nov 10, 2013
naptu2: This was your first post (note the part in bold type).

This was my response (note the part in bold type).

Then I posted the pictures of the command centre and amebo in flight (note the names of the posters).

Amebo in flight.

How does that translate to me "claiming that amebo is used in pipeline monitoring"?

ok, I get, you were actually quoting other people's post to buttress your point.

so Amebo remains a prototype since 2006, while militants and terrorists feast on us.
good people, great nation.
Re: REVEALED: Nigeria Now Producing Armoured Vehicles by Horus(m): 12:11am On Nov 14, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPyh2gevxAo

[size=15pt]Bullet proof cars made in Nigeria[/size]
Re: REVEALED: Nigeria Now Producing Armoured Vehicles by OreMI22: 12:58am On Nov 14, 2014
All those useless armoured vehicles cannot do anything against an insurgent group like Boko Haram using guerilla tactics.
Nigeria needs more[size=16pt] ATTACK HELICOPTERS and trained pilots to roam deep in the countryside and pick up any Boko Haram column caught unawares![/size]

Re: REVEALED: Nigeria Now Producing Armoured Vehicles by overhypedsteve(m): 1:23am On Nov 14, 2014
This op self. I actually entered the thread to see photos of the PF2 mass production version. Nigeria have been building armed equipment even before shekau took to arms.
Re: REVEALED: Nigeria Now Producing Armoured Vehicles by otokx(m): 1:31am On Nov 14, 2014
When shall they stop deceiving themselves?
Re: REVEALED: Nigeria Now Producing Armoured Vehicles by Horus(m): 2:02am On Nov 14, 2014
Re: REVEALED: Nigeria Now Producing Armoured Vehicles by Horus(m): 2:12am On Nov 14, 2014
Re: REVEALED: Nigeria Now Producing Armoured Vehicles by holyboss: 2:18am On Nov 14, 2014
This should be in d joke section undecided

If Nigeria is actually producing all this, dem why begging America all d while rolleyes #SMH

(1) (Reply)

SHOCKING PROPHECIES !: Nigeria Will Break Apart...-primate Ayodele. / Boko Haram Releases Video Of Missing Nigerian Airforce Jet (watch)- Cramjones / Jonathan To Contest Against Semi-literate Candidate - PDP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.