Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,805 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:41 AM

Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs (13885 Views)

8 Courses In Nigeria Universities With Voluminous And Redundant Hand Outs / What's The Origin Of Rag Day In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions? / Origin Of Secret Cult In Nigerian Tertiary Educations. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by Littlehooper: 7:00pm On Nov 11, 2013
lillies:
you are wrong sir, it is a MUST to buy report/graph books in EEE 291 and 292

THIS IS NOT OAU UNDERGRADUATE OOOO.
HAND OUT IS DIFFERENT FROM GRAPH BOOK NOW...... REASON WELLA

AM I RIGHT FELLOW NAIRALANDERS
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by boay(m): 7:04pm On Nov 11, 2013
@ lilies
please dont use the word 'manual' when talking about hand outs. Students in chemistry, microbiology, physics etc need manual and graph book for practicals.

But if what you are saying is different from what I just wrote above, please talk about it exclusively.
The purpose of this thread is to raise awareness above what is happening and seek a way out. IT IS NOT TO PRAISE ANY SCHOOL

Let us hear from you
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by boay(m): 7:08pm On Nov 11, 2013
Nikapetrelli: De sell textbooks in my skul,some make theirs compulsory.Some even get bookshops where u r directed to go n buy
please dont forget to tell us your school and way out
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by boay(m): 7:09pm On Nov 11, 2013
Please dont forget to tell us your school and way out.
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by lillies: 7:10pm On Nov 11, 2013
boay:
This is surprising oooo
Are report books and graph books the same as hand-outs? If you dont buy graph book where will you plot your graph?

Also are practical manuals the same as hand outs? Please oooo
my brother, i think we should be concerned about the act of compulsion and not even the content. In the same line, u cant buy drawing sheet anywia outside spider house, even if u have the same and exact type 4m another source, because that sheet 4m spider house is being stampd with their official stamp. So u c, its all about being compelled!
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by Nobody: 7:11pm On Nov 11, 2013
In my department, lecturers (All of them are practising medical doctor) don't have time to teach us, they'd rather forward the course material to our student email account, so it's up to you, whether to print them or read them on your computer. If you don't have a computer then you would have to print the material.

I don't know why they don't make use of the recommended textbooks anyway, I mean after buying textbooks worth #20,000, we're expected to print materials again.
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by boay(m): 7:20pm On Nov 11, 2013
lillies:
my brother, i think we should be concerned about the act of compulsion and not even the content. In the same line, u cant buy drawing sheet anywia outside spider house, even if u have the same and exact type 4m another source, because that sheet 4m spider house is being stampd with their official stamp. So u c, its all about being compelled!
Good. You have admitted that I successfully refute your first claim. The drawing sheets are being stamped so that student wont bring in 'already made' constructions into the class which are not their handiwork.

Remember the drawing sheets are for a technical drawing course and students can give another sheet to colleagues in architecture thereby bringing in'already made' construction. I guess you understand. I am a student in EDM and I know what students used to do when it comes to technical drawing courses.

I guess you understand
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by boay(m): 7:22pm On Nov 11, 2013
Phder: In my department, lecturers (All of them are practising medical doctor) don't have time to teach us, they'd rather forward the course material to our student email account, so it's up to you, whether to print them or read them on your computer. If you don't have a computer then you would have to print the material.

I don't know why they don't make use of the recommended textbooks anyway, I mean after buying textbooks worth #20,000, we're expected to print materials again.

Please let us know your school and dont forget to suggest a way out of this mess. Thanks
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by WhyAWhy(m): 7:23pm On Nov 11, 2013
boay:
Good. You have admitted that I successfully refute your first claim. The drawing sheets are being stamped so that student wont bring in 'already made' constructions into the class which are not their handiwork.

Remember the drawing sheets are for a technical drawing course and students can give another sheet to colleagues in architecture thereby bringing in'already made' construction. I guess you understand. I am a student in EDM and I know what students used to do when it comes to technical drawing courses.

I guess you understand

Your head is correct..100%
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by boay(m): 7:29pm On Nov 11, 2013
Please suggest way out. I believe we need CHANGE to develop. Thanks
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by PrinceJustice(m): 7:30pm On Nov 11, 2013
Well, in my school - UNN, Lecturers & Departments have been banned from selling hand-outs & text books; only the School's Bookshop is authorized to do such
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by beautyBrains(f): 7:30pm On Nov 11, 2013
In uniben they sell wella. English and literature dept there are some lecturers who will fail if u don't buy, but students live in fear and just carry over rather that follow up. Its unfair.. And if it was just one it would have being easy to swallow. But its not. Something needs to be done. Any lecturer that selld after the strike has being called off is just wicked and should be sacked.
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by lillies: 7:34pm On Nov 11, 2013
boay:

I guess you understand
oga, d stamp cant stop cheating, after buying the drawing sheets, wont you stil take it home? Do you do your assgnmnt in class or at ur hostel? Since u said u are a studnt of edm, u can easily branch spider house and check out cve 401 handout and on your way dont 4gt to branch chemical, che 509/10 handouts will be awaiting ur arrival. Safe jny! *unfollows thread!
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by houstonia(m): 7:39pm On Nov 11, 2013
Prince Justice: Well, in my school - UNN, Lecturers & Departments have been banned from selling hand-outs & text books; only the School's Bookshop is authorized to do such

grin grin grin grin Only the school bookshop is authorized to do such for the lecturers i guess. They put some class to theirs. Nice!!
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by WildChild00(m): 7:39pm On Nov 11, 2013
During my days as an undergraduate, I could remember how lecturers made the purchase of their handout compulsory, infact marks were awarded for those that buys such handout some time it is used as a contineous assessment test for the semester, handout =30% and examination is 70% without buying the handout, there is no way u will perform in that lectures course.
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by nickxtra(m): 7:41pm On Nov 11, 2013
At the University of Abuja, majority of the lecturers produce some works, typed(usually few topics in a 2.5 font size Roman Times format, just to make the handouts appear volumnous) and they are sold to students, though not under duress, but if you are wise, your class Rep will tell you the reason, why you must buy a lecturer's produced work at all cost. Some lecturers can even prodcue theirs with beautifully made hard cover to make the hand out have resemlance of text books. So prevalent at the University of Abuja
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by houstonia(m): 7:41pm On Nov 11, 2013
beauty&Brains:
In uniben they sell wella. English and literature dept there are some lecturers who will fail if u don't buy, but students live in fear and just carry over rather that follow up. Its unfair.. And if it was just one it would have being easy to swallow. But its not. Something needs to be done. Any lecturer that selld after the strike has being called off is just wicked and should be sacked.

You're definitely not in the above department. grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by PrinceJustice(m): 7:44pm On Nov 11, 2013
boay:
Recommended textbooks? Are the textbooks written by the lecturers? Is it compulsory?
In my school - UNN, they'll have to sell dem through the School's Bookshop
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by Afolayan123: 7:46pm On Nov 11, 2013
In my school,it's another story entirely.....it's dere CuLTURE
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by Vladm(m): 7:46pm On Nov 11, 2013
In my schl ksu, u also pay 4 sum lecturers' test
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by boay(m): 7:51pm On Nov 11, 2013
lillies:
oga, d stamp cant stop cheating, after buying the drawing sheets, wont you stil take it home? Do you do your assgnmnt in class or at ur hostel? Since u said u are a studnt of edm, u can easily branch spider house and check out cve 401 handout and on your way dont 4gt to branch chemical, che 509/10 handouts will be awaiting ur arrival. Safe jny! *unfollows thread!
I would have ignored this since you are no longer following; but I wont because of others. In the outset you were calling practical manuals and graph books hand outs, later you shifted to compulsion. The purpose of stamped drawing papers is to help curb the act of 'already made' construction in CLASS WORKS. Also not all class works are being finished in class, students will go and complete it in their hostels. So they cant used a different sheet, since the first one is stamped and the work is half-way done. If it is not stamped they will just throw that away and give a new sheet to architecture students.

You may say that, they can also erase what was done in class. Remember in technical drawing neatness is germane. The lecturer will spot this when erasing is too much and obvious. You can ask lecturers about this.

However if hand outs are truly being sold in OAU, I wont hesitate to raise the alarm and speak against it.
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by moscobabs(m): 7:53pm On Nov 11, 2013
Jingo-OAU:
You need not tell me that because I've used it to collect millions. OAU certificate enabled me to get a juicy appointment with The Nigerian Airspace Management Agency. I've also used the certificate to further my studies in Cabin crew and emergency training thus enabling me to fly momentarily with Arik Airline, Kabo Air, Max Air, Med-view.....before I decided to put a stop to flying.....am proud of OAU and am proud of the products

Airmarshal Congrat my friend.Team UI.
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by lastmessenger: 7:54pm On Nov 11, 2013
As a student of the federal polytechnic nekede owerri, buying handout and notebook turned textbook was a normal thing.we couldnt do anything about it because those who earlier tried to resist the buying of textbook were either victimised or labelled bad boys.seeing how it is,we kept cool,prayed for the years to run fast so that we could graduate and that was exactly what happened.

I graduated in the year 2009 from mechanical engineering department.i bought a 3 page photocopied material for 300 naira from one Mr Dele just because we resisted to buy it for 100.to punish us we,he increased it to 300naira and we got no choice but to buy it.Engr Adikwandu was an intelligent lecturer but he wanted to force to buy his book two times.understand me,we bought the book at the rate of 2300naira during national diploma.when we came back for HND he insisted that we would buy the book the second time.we begged him to take 500naira from everyone of us so as not to repeat buying the book.in the end we discovered the textbook that he copied his own textbook from(i mean word to word).these lecturers were busy extorting money to give grades.in my class intelligent ones managed to make lower credit or at most upper credit while those who couldnt define a term in mechanical engineering were making distinction.some of the girls got their grades by sleeping with some of the lecturers.

Indeed my lecturers were mean and wicked and God knows that it will not be well with them until they repent.Mr Dele your are a fool and you cannot go beyond where you are.Engr Adikwandu Aba that your textbook 'Technology of properties of engineering material' is a copy work.go and sit down and write your own textbook.if here is America you will go to jail for copying an authors word to word.Go and get a life and stop feeling inferior.

Infact i hate all my lecturers back then except one.Engr Nkwazemi you were more like a father to us.hold on to your interity,the rest of the lecturers should go to hell expecially Engr Nobert Nworie:you are too lazy and i hate you.the rest them are after money or what is under the skirt.GOD WILL JUDGE U ALL IN THAT DEPARTMENT
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by boay(m): 7:58pm On Nov 11, 2013
Vladm: In my schl ksu, u also pay 4 sum lecturers' test
please tell us more about that
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by SirTunechi(f): 8:00pm On Nov 11, 2013
boay: Hello Nairalanders
It is not a subject of debate whether hand outs are being sold to students in some tertiary institutions in Nigeria. In my school(OAU), lectures dont sell hand out to students but they sometimes release material for the class representative to make photocopy so that other students can also do the same. NO COMPULSION

I was very surprised when I listen to my friend from a polytechnic(FEDPOFFA) who narrated her ordeal about buying hand outs. According to her hand outs are means of passing exams automatically, atleast the lecturer will give you a pass mark if your name is among those who bought his/her hand outs.

Here are my questions:
1. Is it lawful for lecturers to sell hand outs?
If NO
2. What is NANS doing about it?
3. How can we fight against this?
4. What is the situation in your school. Kindly include the name.
Thanks
the lecturers in your school don't do it, so why are you forming commando for another person's problem na. Or is she your girlfriend ?
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by boay(m): 8:01pm On Nov 11, 2013
Afolayan123: In my school,it's another story entirely.....it's dere CuLTURE
Please let us know your school and tell us more about it. Thanks
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by scave(m): 8:04pm On Nov 11, 2013
Guy 4 AAU u must buy lectural text book if u no want get F it is compulsory
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by PrinceJustice(m): 8:08pm On Nov 11, 2013
houstonia:
grin grin grin grin Only the school bookshop is authorized to do such for the lecturers i guess. They put some class to theirs. Nice!!
Well, the good thing is that there is no form of compulsion
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by boay(m): 8:13pm On Nov 11, 2013
Sir-Tunechi:

the lecturers in your school don't do it, so why are you forming commando for another person's problem na. Or is she your girlfriend ?
Funny:......
*laughing*
I hate extortion with passion.
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by dabrake(m): 8:14pm On Nov 11, 2013
"It is not compulsory but you will use it for your CA." grin grin
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by houstonia(m): 8:15pm On Nov 11, 2013
@op, truth be told there is only one solution to these buying and selling in tertiary institutions.

Just Graduate
Re: Nigerian Tertiary Institutions And Hand-outs by Uyi168: 8:20pm On Nov 11, 2013
Imagine a situation whereby hand-outs amount to like 20mks,i pray make i nor buy o.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

, / Please Where Can I Download Textbooks In PDF Format? / Niger Delta University Closed Indefinitely Over Protest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.