Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,010 members, 7,817,976 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:59 AM

Help!!, A Nairalander's Brother Contemplating Suicide - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Help!!, A Nairalander's Brother Contemplating Suicide (633 Views)

A Nairalander's Brother In Dilemma Over Kidney Problem / How Do You Deal With Suicide Thoughts? / A Female Doctor Commits Suicide After Testing Positive To Hiv (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help!!, A Nairalander's Brother Contemplating Suicide by 911call: 12:56pm On Nov 12, 2013
It is with a heavy heart that I have come to seek your advice/solution on a very troubling issue. I am an active member since 2009 and have seen first hand how this forum has helped several people who have come running for help. I had to open new monika to make this distress call.
It all began in 2010 when I was called that my younger brother (13 years then) had a seizure, since they were in the village, he was taken to a prayer house. Either by cause or co-incidence, he calmed down. My parents and other siblings were quite worried since we didn’t have such history , little did we know that it was the beginning of a long journey filled with shame, embarrassment, torture and pain.
After a couple of more seizures, it was concluded that he might be epileptic (but, we have never had such history before according my parents). Several people have recommended several solutions which we have followed to the latter but to no avail.
He has been taken to FMC Umuahia, ABSUTH Aba, private clinics, prayer houses (much against our wish), even un-orthodox medicine has been used. These steps have cost the family quite some fortune even without any solution at hand.
His life has practically been paused as he no longer follows through with school activities. He got admission into one of the state’s prestigious senior science school but couldn’t stay beyond one week because of his health; he was changed to a nearby day school, even this he hasn’t been consistent with.
In recent (3) months, the seizures have taken a more troubling dimension as the frequency has increased from once to two sometime three times daily. He cant go out nor do anything again. Whenever he goes out, people always come to call us to carry him as he must have had his seizures either in the market, church, wedding or he is just strolling along the street. He has bruises on every part of his body as a result of the seizures. Imagine the shame, embarrassment, psychological torture the boy goes through in particular and the family in general. He is just 16 years old!
Two weeks ago, he was taken to UNTH , Enugu, where the pediatric neurologist referred him for a ‘brain ct scan’. This was done in a private clinic where the following was discovered. ‘[i]The brain tissues and the CSF spaces appear intact, no mass leision, midline displacement or areas of hemorrhage / infarct seen, no focus of AVM. Impression: Normal contract brain CT scan”. [/i]After getting the above result/report, we went back to the pediatric neurologist but they are on strike (Naija factor).
Now the most troubling issue here is that my brother is contemplating suicide as a way of ending it all instead of being constantly ‘embarrassed’ by his health. We all are very scared as we don’t want to loose him.
House has anybody been or seen such situation before? What happened?, is there a solution, how do we manage him and prevent him from committing suicide.
I understand this is an absurdly long post, but please I beg you to read though and advice as every bit of advice is very much appreciated.
Thanks

Moderators, please do the needfull.
Re: Help!!, A Nairalander's Brother Contemplating Suicide by weazley(m): 1:10pm On Nov 12, 2013
i had seen read smth like dis bfore, amean with d seizures , on a website, a boi had frequent seizures and d father used marijuana i think undecided undecided, chewin marijuana could help d situation,
Re: Help!!, A Nairalander's Brother Contemplating Suicide by pickabeau1: 1:19pm On Nov 12, 2013
Important he gets his head back into life

This thread may help

https://www.nairaland.com/1347408/feeling-suicidal-come-here-first
Re: Help!!, A Nairalander's Brother Contemplating Suicide by pickabeau1: 1:19pm On Nov 12, 2013
weazley: i had seen read smth like dis bfore, amean with d seizures , on a website, a boi had frequent seizures and d father used marijuana i think undecided undecided, chewin marijuana could help d situation,

I saw that documentary on CNN...
Re: Help!!, A Nairalander's Brother Contemplating Suicide by Acidosis(m): 1:27pm On Nov 12, 2013
I still wonder why people doubt the power of God..

You've been to prayer houses *against your wish*, and you expect the prayers to work?

Its all about your faith, brother.

Matthew 9:2
Some men brought to him a paralytic, lying on a mat. When Jesus saw their faith, he said to the paralytic, "Take heart, son; your sins are forgiven."

Matthew 21:21
Jesus replied, "I tell you the truth, if you have faith and do not doubt, not only can you do what was done to the fig tree, but also you can say to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and it will be done.

I sincerely wish your brother a quick and complete recovery.

Suicide is not the way out of troubles.. but the way into a bigger condemnation.

We'll remember your bro in our daily prayers.
Expect a miracle.
Re: Help!!, A Nairalander's Brother Contemplating Suicide by Nobody: 1:32pm On Nov 12, 2013
weazley: i had seen read smth like dis bfore, amean with d seizures , on a website, a boi had frequent seizures and d father used marijuana i think undecided undecided, chewin marijuana could help d situation,
i have heard something like that. Op let ur younger bro try it, it might work you know
Re: Help!!, A Nairalander's Brother Contemplating Suicide by 911call: 1:43pm On Nov 12, 2013
Acidosis: I still wonder why people doubt the power of God..

You've been to prayer houses *against your wish*, and you expect the prayers to work?

Its all about your faith, brother.

Matthew 9:2
Some men brought to him a paralytic, lying on a mat. When Jesus saw their faith, he said to the paralytic, "Take heart, son; your sins are forgiven."

Matthew 21:21
Jesus replied, "I tell you the truth, if you have faith and do not doubt, not only can you do what was done to the fig tree, but also you can say to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and it will be done.

I sincerely wish your brother a quick and complete recovery.

Suicide is not the way out of troubles.. but the way into a bigger condemnation.

We'll remember your bro in our daily prayers.
Expect a miracle.

Thanks, but when I mean 'against our wish', i meant jumping from one prayer house to another. We as a family believe that you dont need to visit all prayer houses to get prayers answered

Can you please throw more light, is it the marijuana that we know?. Can you let me know the website if you have it.

@ all that have contributed so far, thank you so much
Re: Help!!, A Nairalander's Brother Contemplating Suicide by 911call: 2:52pm On Nov 12, 2013
Fabulousuzo: i have heard something like that. Op let ur younger bro try it, it might work you know

I have just read a bit about marijuana and epilepsy. From what I understand, its not legal in Nigeria.

Please more people should bring in their advice(s).

Thanks,

(1) (Reply)

Cure For Ebola Outbreak: US Sends 50 Experts To West Africa To Contain It / Help: My Fight Against Ulcer / People Take To Their Heels As A Presumed Ebola Virus Victim Visit LASUTH

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.