Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,476 members, 7,819,736 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:00 PM

Meet The Man Who Has Stepped Foot To Every Country On Earth Without Plane - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Meet The Man Who Has Stepped Foot To Every Country On Earth Without Plane (1238 Views)

37 Pictures That Prove Australia Is The Most Dangerous Country on the Planet / "Travel On Foot To Mecca" / Across the sahara on foot to Europe via Libya ( Paperback ) ISBN # 9781478329206 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Meet The Man Who Has Stepped Foot To Every Country On Earth Without Plane by Nobody: 12:33pm On Nov 14, 2013
Meet The British Man Who Has Stepped
Foot In Every Country On Earth Without
Travelling By Plane.

British adventurer Graham Hughes has
managed to visit all 201 UN recognised
countries without travelling by plane or driving
himself, BBC reports.
“I did it because most people said it was
impossible and because it was a travel
adventure which hadn’t been done before” he
said.
Hughes set off on his adventure on January 1,
2009 from Uruguay travelling for 1,426 days on a $100 a week budget. He finally completed his journey in the world’s youngest country, South
Sudan.
“I’ve fed the crocs in Australia, hunted the
dragons of Komodo, befriended the orangutans in Borneo, played with the lemurs in Madagascar, washed the elephants in India and eaten live octopus in South Korea.”
Hughes made it out alive — and earned some
major street cred along the way. In addition to
the Guinness World Records recognizing him for “Most Countries Visited in One Year by
Scheduled Ground Transport,” Hughes spent a
week in a Congolese prison, was arrested
sneaking into Russia and joined a Bwiti tribe in
Gabon. He even tiptoed into North Korea, which is not exactly a popular tourist destination.
Also, in case you didn’t hear, there’s a new
country in the world, South Sudan. And yes, he made it there, too. It took Hughes 1,426 days to cover 160,000
miles.
As you can imagine, a trip like this could really
leave a guy broke. But he kept his costs under
$100 per day, collected donations on his
website and taped segments for National
Geographic’s Adventure Channel, “Graham’s
World.” Hughes even raised money for
WaterAid, a charity that brings clean water to
some of the most impoverished nations in the
world.

www.gistreel.com/2013/08/07/british-man-who-has-stepped-foot-in-every-country-on-earth-without-travelling-by-plane/
Re: Meet The Man Who Has Stepped Foot To Every Country On Earth Without Plane by Nobody: 12:45pm On Nov 14, 2013
Pic

Re: Meet The Man Who Has Stepped Foot To Every Country On Earth Without Plane by IAMBREEZY: 1:13pm On Nov 14, 2013
Amazing
Re: Meet The Man Who Has Stepped Foot To Every Country On Earth Without Plane by Konjour(m): 1:13pm On Nov 14, 2013
I watched his travel diaries everyday on the National Geographic Channel, dude was even initiated into secret cults in Cameroun and South Africa and he saw it a part of an adventure, I think he was also arrested in about 4-5 countries or thereabout for trespassing lolz. However, when he was passing through Nigeria, the major sticking point that still rings through my mind was when he complained of how a lot of Nigerian drivers drove like lunatics and people who've never held driving licenses (which is very true). He also filmed a few live accidents to buttress his point. The journey was too hazardous though, don't think I would wanna do stuff like that.
Re: Meet The Man Who Has Stepped Foot To Every Country On Earth Without Plane by Nobody: 3:31pm On Nov 14, 2013
Konjour: I watched his travel diaries everyday on the National Geographic Channel, dude was even initiated into secret cults in Cameroun and South Africa and he saw it a part of an adventure, I think he was also arrested in about 4-5 countries or thereabout for trespassing lolz. However, when he was passing through Nigeria, the major sticking point that still rings through my mind was when he complained of how a lot of Nigerian drivers drove like lunatics and people who've never held driving licenses (which is very true). He also filmed a few live accidents to buttress his point. The journey was too hazardous though, don't think I would wanna do stuff like that.
He really tried, an amazing adventure I would say. Where I found so amusing was when he had to tip-toe into North Korea smiley grin That country ehn?! Lolz
Re: Meet The Man Who Has Stepped Foot To Every Country On Earth Without Plane by emperorchedda(m): 8:06pm On Nov 14, 2013
Absolutely stunning. Way to go for an adventure

(1) (Reply)

Romanian Government Scholarship 2014 / Anybody On Nairaland Living In Odogbolu, Ogun State? / Ethiopian Airlines First-ever All Female Operated Flight.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.