Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,714 members, 7,824,027 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:47 PM

What Do Angels Really Look Like? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Do Angels Really Look Like? (1437 Views)

Question For Day.do Angels Have Sex Organs? / Do Angels Exist? / How Do Angels Fight? What Is Their Scope Of Engagement? Do They Stab One Another (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Do Angels Really Look Like? by Nobody: 8:44am On Nov 15, 2013
Most people, if you asked them what an angel looks like,
would have a pretty solid description to offer you.
Generally speaking angels look like beautiful beings
dressed in white, with wings, halos and probably with
either a harp or a sword. Sometimes they can be found
wearing black leather trenchcoats and fighting demons.
However, thanks to bad movies like "Legion," and the
meddling of Renaissance painters, most people simply
accept the cultural image of angels. According to the
Bible, they were a great deal stranger and terrifying than
someone in a white robe that glowed in the dark.
First of all, generic angels do appear to fall into the
"guise of man," category. If an angel from the mail
room level so desires it appears to be able to completely
mimic a human. It will still be beautiful or handsome,
but that's all you'll notice. However angels who are more
important are graced with a great deal more description
in the good book.
Seraphim are a good example. Fairly high up on the
divine corporate ladder, the name seraphim means either,
"the burning ones," or "the ones of love." I'm sure you
see how that could get confused. Seraphim have six
wings, but four of them are used to cover their bodies
while only two are used to fly. This is so that people
who see them won't burst into flames or go blind upon
witnessing the burning perfection of the seraphim's
form. It's similar to the story of Eros's lover, who
opened her eyes and was blown to dust at the sight of his
divine beauty. Not exactly the sort of creature you want
hovering over you to deliver a message in the fields.
Another example are cherubs, or the cherubim if they're
plural. These creatures are usually depicted as cute little
pudgy angels with arrows that are put out during
Valentine's Day (lots of cupid metaphors getting mixed
around here). According to the Bible, cherubs are
actually creatures with four faces on each side of their
head, and with four wings. Arranged in a square these
angels can travel in any direction without turning. These
are the heavy hitters of heaven, and the cherubs, or
throne angels, guard the kingdom of heaven. Shock
troopers certainly, because seeing beings like that
descending on you might be enough to make your heart
stop, or your legs to turn in the other direction.
As a last case scenario, there are also throne angels
(which are sometimes transposed with the cherubim,
depending on the chapter and verse... it's not clear who
has what jurisdiction in heaven). These creatures look
like wheels within wheels (sort of like a gyroscope)
which have eyes that can see in all directions around the
rims. And as if that wasn't bizarre enough they float with
no wings, and are constantly burning. Hence the phrase
wheels of fire.
Oddly enough, when you get to the top of the heap and
we describe the archangels who are the seconds in
command of heaven (Lucifer's former rank before the
occupational disagreement with the big boss), they seem
to look much like low ranking angels. Michael and
Gabriel both, aside from their flaming weapons, are
described as nothing more than beautiful or perfect
human forms. One might assume that the sheer force of
their presences would clue you in, but how do you rank
angels like that? Also strange, there is never once a
physical description of Satan , nor of any of the demons that supposedly were
sentenced to hell with him. Of course, with all of the
differences in terms and descriptions in the Bible, it can
become hard to keep track of what servant of God does
what, and what they all look like since angels, with the
exception of the head honchos, are pretty much
interchangeable except for their ranks.

1 Like

Re: What Do Angels Really Look Like? by PastorOluT(m): 12:15pm On Nov 15, 2013
Expository n informative, God bless u @ op. Very scriptural, though no scriptures are attached to it, bt if u be a bible student u will be able relate to all.

But @op, angels also do appear as normal humans for various purposes n many at times we dont realize. I believed to have had such encounters 'cos of the way the whole thing went if u would understand me!

1 Like

Re: What Do Angels Really Look Like? by Nobody: 1:04pm On Nov 15, 2013
Pastor Olu T: Expository n informative, God bless u @ op. Very scriptural, though no scriptures are attached to it, bt if u be a bible student u will be able relate to all.

But @op, angels also do appear as normal humans for various purposes n many at times we dont realize. I believed to have had such encounters 'cos of the way the whole thing went if u would understand me!
yes they do take human forms, to help them interact with us, becos their true form, cud be disturbing
Re: What Do Angels Really Look Like? by tpia5: 1:17pm On Nov 15, 2013
The write up has no bible references at all, is it meant to be a literary piece or something else.

Seraphims seem to have some connection with seraphs, which is also interpreted as fiery serpent, or flying serpent. This was the form the serpent took in the garden of eden i should think.

The covering of their faces and bodies in Isaiah, might also be symbolic of when adam and eve had to be covered by God in the garden, after they sinned. Or vice versa.

Just my opinion.
Re: What Do Angels Really Look Like? by PastorOluT(m): 3:57pm On Nov 15, 2013
michu: yes they do take human forms, to help them interact with us, becos their true form, cud be disturbing

Yeah, even the bible says some have entertained angels unknowingly. I like ur dept n would like to read more write ups from u.

I will also like u to visit my threads "The tree of life" n "The tree of the knowledge of good and evil." I think there is more we can share together 'cos we seem to have the same line of thought (Obviously the HolySpirit).
Re: What Do Angels Really Look Like? by PastorOluT(m): 3:59pm On Nov 15, 2013
tpia@:
The write up has no bible references at all, is it meant to be a literary piece or something else.

Seraphims seem to have some connection with seraphs, which is also interpreted as fiery serpent, or flying serpent. This was the form the serpent took in the garden of eden i should think.

The covering of their faces and bodies in Isaiah, might also be symbolic of when adam and eve had to be covered by God in the garden, after they sinned. Or vice versa.

Just my opinion.

Yes bro but they are more scriptural, he even quoted bt just didn't add references. @op next time pls add scriptural references where applicable
Re: What Do Angels Really Look Like? by twosquare(m): 4:14pm On Nov 15, 2013
Angels are creatures of God....op,wen saying angels,pls distinguish.Either Angels of God or dat of Satan...dat apart

I won't reveal much: Angels are into 3 categories and can b sub divided in some these categories

1. Cherubims

2. Seraphims(d burning ones or Host)

3.Stars of God(warrior angels)
Re: What Do Angels Really Look Like? by PastorOluT(m): 4:19pm On Nov 15, 2013
twosquare: Angels are creatures of God....op,wen saying angels,pls distinguish.Either Angels of God or dat of Satan...dat apart

I won't reveal much: Angels are into 3 categories and can b sub divided in some these categories

1. Cherubims

2. Seraphims(d burning ones or Host)

3.Stars of God(warrior angels)

This is going to be interesting, lets hear from u too, bt remember to add scriptures where necessary.
Re: What Do Angels Really Look Like? by twosquare(m): 4:21pm On Nov 15, 2013
From descending order to d earth:

3rd heaven: Cherubims of glory(sons of d morning) dwell here

2nd heaven: Seraphims(realm of d burning ones/sons of fire)

1st heaven(warrior angels: Principalities and powers,might and Dominion)

Note:description of faces of these beings doesn't mean that's how their face looks like... IT IS ACTUALLY AN OPERATION IN THE REALM OF THE SPIRIT!HOW THEY OPERATE.

1 Like

Re: What Do Angels Really Look Like? by twosquare(m): 4:22pm On Nov 15, 2013
Pastor Olu T:

This is going to be interesting, lets hear from u too, bt remember to add scriptures where necessary.
I will sir,and for clarification
Re: What Do Angels Really Look Like? by tpia5: 5:45pm On Nov 15, 2013
Re: What Do Angels Really Look Like? by tpia5: 6:12pm On Nov 15, 2013
the fiery serpents who punished the Israelites for rebelling against God, may also be a form of seraphim. (Numbers 21:4-9).

the only cure against the poison was to look at the bronze serpent which Moses made.
Re: What Do Angels Really Look Like? by tpia5: 6:35pm On Nov 15, 2013
in addition, Psalm 104 gives this description:

4 Who maketh his angels spirits; his ministers a flaming fire

showing us there are different levels of angelic manifestation.

the latter implies judgement or purging.

1 Like

Re: What Do Angels Really Look Like? by twosquare(m): 12:33pm On Nov 16, 2013
Actually it was a Cherub who led d israelites through their journey. ..who Yahweh put in charge of d assignment to train and make them conquered....
A time even came that God told Moses to b careful of how he deals with d angel...coz if they make him angry..he can do and undo

1 Like

Re: What Do Angels Really Look Like? by twosquare(m): 12:40pm On Nov 16, 2013
Psalm 104 talks abt d angelic.....spirits of two categories
Flames of fire(seraphs) and spirits(cherub)
They are all spirits....but d fabric of spirituality are higher dan each other.

1 Like

Re: What Do Angels Really Look Like? by PastorOluT(m): 2:43pm On Nov 16, 2013
twosquare: From descending order to d earth:

3rd heaven: Cherubims of glory(sons of d morning) dwell here

2nd heaven: Seraphims(realm of d burning ones/sons of fire)

1st heaven(warrior angels: Principalities and powers,might and Dominion)

Note:description of faces of these beings doesn't mean that's how their face looks like... IT IS ACTUALLY AN OPERATION IN THE REALM OF THE SPIRIT!HOW THEY OPERATE.

Nice one, bt I need scriptures for this.

I am really learning 'cos sincerely I am yet to really study about angels. God bless u guys, following
Re: What Do Angels Really Look Like? by PastorOluT(m): 2:45pm On Nov 16, 2013
tpia@:
the fiery serpents who punished the Israelites for rebelling against God, may also be a form of seraphim. (Numbers 21:4-9).

the only cure against the poison was to look at the bronze serpent which Moses made.

How bro? The bible clearly differentiate God n angels!
Re: What Do Angels Really Look Like? by PastorOluT(m): 2:47pm On Nov 16, 2013
tpia@:

it seems he wants to focus on seraphims alone, since he didnt mention any other type of angel, in addition to the pop culture references.

We can only write based on the level of our revelations, except u give room for errors?
Re: What Do Angels Really Look Like? by tpia5: 3:48pm On Nov 16, 2013
Pastor Olu T:

How bro? The bible clearly differentiate God n angels!

Explain, plz.
Re: What Do Angels Really Look Like? by tpia5: 3:49pm On Nov 16, 2013
Pastor Olu T:

We can only write based on the level of our revelations, except u give room for errors?

Scratch that, i went through the write up again and noticed he did mention other types of angels.

People should try to format their posts, makes for an easier read.

1 Like

Re: What Do Angels Really Look Like? by twosquare(m): 4:11pm On Nov 16, 2013
I can use many some scriptures to shed light but let m reveal it through Isaiah chapter 14 vs.12- 14.I will still use other verses if u don't get it.
Now,this Isaiah 14 describes d 2nd fall of Lucifer(now satan)- d anointed cherub who by d reason of Treason was driven out of d 3rd realm into d pits of hell.He was an angel after d order of d 3rd heaven..He is a cherub.

Verse 12 started with “How has thou fallen,O'lucifer,son of the morning"

Cherubs are called sons of d morning (omo irawo owuro).You know d morning begins d day...they begin God's.creation in d angelic.No man has ever attain dat title..there are titles man cannot attain dat belongs to d angelic.

So,here one fell from his world....
Re: What Do Angels Really Look Like? by twosquare(m): 4:26pm On Nov 16, 2013
Verse 1: For thou hast said in thine heart,I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above d stars of God...

Lets break here: watch it- i will exalt my thrones above d stars of God...he still have d ambition...dis is d 1st heaven when coming frm d earth...who are dis stars?like i said:Principalities and Powers;Might and Dominion.

After he said he will conquer them,he will move to d 2nd:

“....I will sit also upon d mount of the congregation,in d sides of d north"

This is d 2nd heaven....remember one psalm:Great is d Lord and greatly to b praised is d city of our God....is Mount Zion on d sides of d North,d city of d great King(psalm 48:1-2)
This is d mount Zion of heaven,where d host resides and formed mount.He said he will conquer them.....thats not finished.
Re: What Do Angels Really Look Like? by twosquare(m): 4:36pm On Nov 16, 2013
And lastly: I will ascend above d heights of the clouds;I will be like the most High.

He said he will now conquer d heights of d cloud: this is d 3rd heaven...heights of d clouds are cherubim of Glory. Before u can b like d Most High,u have to surpass these 3 heavens and conquer them.....
That is it about d stratas of heaven
Re: What Do Angels Really Look Like? by tpia5: 12:25am On Nov 17, 2013
Great is d Lord and greatly to b praised is d city of our God....is Mount Zion on d sides of d North,d city of d great King

great psalm.
Re: What Do Angels Really Look Like? by tpia5: 12:29am On Nov 17, 2013
twosquare: Actually it was a Cherub who led d israelites through their journey. ..who Yahweh put in charge of d assignment to train and make them conquered....
A time even came that God told Moses to b careful of how he deals with d angel...coz if they make him angry..he can do and undo

just out of curiosity, which type of angel do you think conversed with balaam?
Re: What Do Angels Really Look Like? by Nobody: 6:53am On Nov 17, 2013
Interesting, i did a little bible study on Angels, and this is what i came up with.

1. Children have angels.

Matthew 18:10 ESV

“See that you do not despise one of these little ones. For I tell you that in heaven their angels always see the face of my Father who is in heaven

2. God sends angels to offer protection to righteous folks.

Psalm 34:7 ESV

The angel of the Lord encamps around those who fear him, and delivers them.

3.Paul had his angel.

Acts 27: 23 – 25 “Last night an angel of the God whose I am and whom I serve stood beside me and said, ‘Do not be afraid, Paul. You must stand trial before Caesar; and God has graciously given you the lives of all who sail with you.’ So keep up your courage, men, for I have faith in God that it will happen just as he told me.” (NIV)

4. Peter also had his angel. The disciples even recognized the angels of one another.
Acts 12:15

Amplified Bible (AMP)

15 They said to her, You are crazy! But she persistently and strongly and confidently affirmed that it was the truth. They said, It is his angel!

5. Churches have angels assigned to them.

"“To the angel of the church in Ephesus write:

"“And to the angel of the church in Sardis write:

6. satan is still an angel,though of higher rank and a falling one for that matter.He has one-third of fallen angels under his command.

2 Corinthians 11:14 - And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light

Revelation 12:3-4 ESV

And another sign appeared in heaven: behold, a great red dragon, with seven heads and ten horns, and on his heads seven diadems. His tail swept down a third of the stars of heaven and cast them to the earth. And the dragon stood before the woman who was about to give birth, so that when she bore her child he might devour it.

Revelation 12:7 - And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,

"One day the angels came to present themselves before the LORD,
and Satan also came with them."Job 1:6 (NIV)

7. Even at that,it takes a single angel to bind the devil in chains.

Rev. 20:1 And I saw an angel come down from heaven, having the key of the bottomless pit and a great chain in his hand.

Rev. 20:2 And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years

1 Like

Re: What Do Angels Really Look Like? by PastorOluT(m): 7:40am On Nov 17, 2013
tpia@:

Explain, plz.

God is the creator lf Heaven n earth n created angels, while angels are created n His servant. So I dont understand how He is now an angel in ur previous post?

God bless u bro twosquare n Bidam real good for those posts.
Re: What Do Angels Really Look Like? by MEILYN(m): 7:48am On Nov 17, 2013
Re: What Do Angels Really Look Like? by tpia5: 1:45pm On Nov 17, 2013
Pastor Olu T:

God is the creator lf Heaven n earth n created angels, while angels are created n His servant. So I dont understand how He is now an angel in ur previous post?

i'm not sure how you got that from my post.

please reread it, and the passage in question.
Re: What Do Angels Really Look Like? by twosquare(m): 3:43pm On Nov 17, 2013
tpia@:

just out of curiosity, which type of angel do you think conversed with balaam?
I perceived the being to be a cherub.Though it may be from any of the class but after going through the chapter of the event..I can't but say it is a cherub.He is not just any type of angel....most likely it maybe the same angel in charge of Israel.Coz Cherubs don't normally come to the earth;they don't do earthly biddings often like the other angels; if d matter of a Kingdom/nation is not crucial or critical.And such is the one that converse with Balaam.

You should know Balaam is not an ordinary prophet: when we say prophets ,not d ‘yeye' we now have nowadays.Am talking of Prophets who knows God. Like Samuel who wore Israel as a garment.So,Balaam pedigree in d spirit is high too.Imagine a man who have d ability/authority to curse a whole nation..not just a man....anyone who balaam curses won't prosper.. he know how to tamper with ur spiritual genetic make up.So,dat Angel have to intervene.
Re: What Do Angels Really Look Like? by tpia5: 11:30pm On Nov 17, 2013
hmm, interesting.

thank God for being there for his people.

(1) (Reply)

Am Tired Of Living,i Want To Die / 5 Differences Between The Rich And The Poor / What Is Prayer?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.