Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,845 members, 7,817,498 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:15 PM

On The Death & Strike Issue... - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / On The Death & Strike Issue... (693 Views)

Another Nationwide ASUU Strike? / ASUU And ASUP Strike: How Have You Been Spending Your Time? / National ASUU Begins Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

On The Death & Strike Issue... by ERBCorp(m): 3:10pm On Nov 15, 2013
PLEASE ENDEVOUR TO READ ALL OF THIS…
Adieu, Professor Festus Iyayi….
An undeniable icon…An undisputed but nonetheless, fallen hero…A tireless educational activist…A literary legend (I know this, given that I read a few of his books back in the day). An outspoken...open-minded…fearless…charismatic (so I heard)…system hardened…hardworking…intelligent (this can be disputed, if you got the stomach to face the steamy criticism that follows)…wise (strongly debatable)…likable (I honestly dunno about that)…beloved (of course he had the good fortune of possessing fans...which I doubt I can say for myself after I post this)…and a rather spirited, gifted and impressive teacher/leader/orator (I wanna believe he’s a shrewd one, or how else would he have risen to lead that debatably prestigious union who so painstakingly continue to fight for the right of the Nigerian student-or so they’ll have us believe)…A Don. Yes I took my time in the praise heaping department (though slightly over exaggerated, or sarcastic sometimes), and with good reason; for the entire text might not be all too friendly to our ‘said’ undisputed hero.
It’s all too convenient. Attentions are all too suddenly turned and everyone is well and completely distracted from all the initial ASUU strike related major debating points, thanks to this unfortunate, unholy, and unexpected turn of events. By everyone, I largely refer to our daily newspapers, the press, journalists, and of course, the news readers (I regularly bother with the comment section on the online news). Don Festus’ death takes the front pages and every major headlines, and rightfully so (he was a would-be Don after all). Everyone quickly jumps to the defense of the common man (though I’m inclined to state the Don wasn’t altogether so common), and proceeds to thoroughly slate the government and its closed mindedness, it unanimous blindness, its unenlightened mannerism, its self-righteousness, and continued disillusionment of the masses (and I solemnly swear they deserve every last bit/word of said criticism). The said criticism is such that some are of the rather pointless opinion (and I’m rather disappointed to imagine that someone, after much obviously shallow brainstorming, could come up with this) that government convoys should be banned. Would you really say convoys are the problem? Convoy accidents are a not-so-common thing, and the bottom-line is accidents happen in their thousands and on a daily basis too.
Hundreds of people died in naija on that Tuesday alone (may their gentle and possibly tireless souls rest in perfect peace, and may the father judge them justly, Amen), with a reasonable percentage of them being cases of road accidents, and only one of that number involving a convoy and a Don (and of course, following familiar fashion, all the other faithful departed are quickly waved aside and forgotten, save for the one involving the big names). Armed with this realistic reasoning, is it then intelligent to point fingers, scream and complain about how convoys are the problem here? Personally, I’ll chuck it all down to ill luck. The times aren’t exactly ripe for pointless travels (though I won’t exactly count his among that number), seeing as we are in the ember months (forgive my superstitions), a period when road accidents are the order of the day.
Looking at it all from my rather cynical point of view, I hope I would be forgiven (not that I give a rat’s fart) for thinking this unexpected turn of events might actually be the exact kind of diversion ASUU hoped for…a god sent mirage to set the eyes and mind to conflict…the more than welcome (to ASUU strictly) sunscreen to shield the eyes from the glaring, the shining and unavoidable fact looming just overhead…the spot-on situation to employ as an emotional blackmail on any enlightened nose, sniffing around for a cover…an instrument to conveniently bar, and mask the initial media concern…THE AGE OLD STRIKE. It is plainly there for all eyes that wish to see it. The students’ hopes were soaring to (now useless) heights, the tension was on, and the end of the already too long strike was seen to be close at hand (I could figuratively reach out and touch it). Initially, the ASUU chapters of the individual universities had previously met to discuss the final offer of Mr. President to the body, with a number of schools voting in favor of the strike being called off. A National Executive Council (NEC) meeting of ASUU was scheduled for Wednesday 13th, November in a northern university. Professor Iyayi, who happens to be a past ASUU president, a strong voice in the union, and unfortunately a delegate of UNIBEN’s ASUU chapter (which as it was seen by all, unanimously voted for the strike to continue much to the dismay of plenty of students around), was on his way to the NEC meeting, when he was met with this unfortunate accident that claimed his life. Now, it’s safe to assume the prayers of many a university student wasn’t going with him (and I’m ashamed to count myself among that number)…many would obviously have wished him ill, so it isn’t altogether surprising that it ended the way it did. When more minds than you could possibly wish to count don’t wish you well (especially if the said number against you are willing to go probably supernatural lengths-forgive the superstition, but na naija we dey…anything is possible), and yours can’t exactly pass for the purest of hearts…well, there’s only one destination you could be headed and it isn’t a positive one.
Now to my main vexation…It is common knowledge/conception that no single individual should be considered bigger than the majority…at least that’s what our democratic state of affairs demands we presume. Bearing that in mind, it is curious to note that ASUU as a body (who happens to be fighting tooth and nail for an academic revolution and educational emancipation of the Nigerian university population-or so they hope we believe) has decided to put forward the demise of our dearly beloved, as the main point of an elaborate emotional blackmail, designed to cow would-be opposers into an unacceptable state of reluctant submission and negligence. The fake activist filled union elected to postpone the NEC meeting indefinitely (much to the rage of the millions waiting patiently for them to make a decision-obviously our own needs don’t matter one bit), ignoring the fact that many other members/delegates had in fact successfully made it to the venue of the meeting successfully. ASUU, obviously don’t have any intentions of seeing the immediate end to this strike, and have decided to neglect the safety of its other delegates who might be forced to make additionally demanding and risk loaded journeys in -hopefully- the immediate future. Finally, it can safely be assumed that the union has no interest whatsoever in returning to the classrooms this year, probably preferring to extend the strike period till January, and in doing so they hope to have a really long/protracted Christmas holiday. If that’s the case, then I’m inclined to say that’s awfully petty of them.
Now seriously, this is simply an expository text, and I solemnly swear that no offense was intended during the process of penning my grievances down. This might not sit well with some people, but I choose to keep an open mind on all things possible. That’s simply my way of saying every criticism is more than welcome. THANK YOU very much, people.

Re: On The Death & Strike Issue... by spenca: 5:06pm On Nov 15, 2013
Reading through your write up i was looking for where you were seated because i see a lot of bush running here which didnt help and only made this a lenghty and quite boring and a lot of decoy but if i may assume your seat ,i think you say ASUU is dogged without an intend to call of the strike and maybe the accident was staged right? If yes to ASUU been dogged i would say yes and being a pressure group they have to and being a pressure group it is not in their interest to put the students pligh in their demands and uni ben not voting for the stop of the strike is left for them to decide and if you are familiar with the association classified as pressure groups you would understand , about the accident ,yes i agree with you it cant be totally acredited to the convey but if you have read or heard what transpired between the vehicles you would swarve to the other party that believe its an avoidable accident and majorly flaws should be accredicted to the convoy also op i will like you to stick something in your head sanctity of human life
Re: On The Death & Strike Issue... by Miner13: 5:41pm On Nov 15, 2013
Nt much indifference 2 ur so much elaborate expository bt blindmind criticism.
A gud write-up indeed, hope u're nt 1 of dos nigerians dat value educatn obtainable in oda countries nd possibly our private universities. Y we solemly wait as students both'undergraduate nd post graduate' 4 logical end 2 d strike dat has bastardized our educatn system. Lol!
We al failed as nigerians 2 put in our best towards resolvin dis lingerin issue bt we rather raise our voice nd point our fingers in 2tal disbelieved coz of our corrupt mindset against those who stood up 4 our course 2 rebuild d educatn sector.
MY STAND IS "ITZ TIM WE AS YOUTH OF DIS GREAT COUNTRY NIGERIA RE-ESTABLISHED D LOST GLORY OF OUR DEAR MOTHERLAND.
####Remeber dis
d states(USA) GOT D RIGHT STARTING PILLAR OVER 200YRS AGO.... GOD BLESS AMERICA WS DIA HALLMARK

SA(south africa) WER LUCKY 2 START IN D HANDS OF GUD ND DEDICATED LEADERS

GHANIANS YOUTH RISE 2 FIGHT AGAINST D FLOP IN DIA ECONOMY. MUCH DEDICATN. ND A STRIKE IN DIA EDUCATN SECTOR 4 A YEAR ND HALF, REMEBA OUR SLOGAN IN 9JA DEN 'ghana must go'

BT HIA IN NIGERIA WIT OUR DESTRUCTIVE CRITICISM. IF AM ABLE 2 SATISFY MYSEF I DNT BLOODY CARE ANODA PERSON ATTITUDE.
Hmmmmmm
LET JOIN 2GEDA IN UNITY
LETS SHOW OUR DEDICATN 2 OUR DEAR LAND
THINK POSITIVE!
ACT POSITIVE!!
WORK POSITIVE!!!
ND 2GEDA WIL WE REBUILD OUR EDUCATN 2 MIT D WORLD STANDARD.
Re: On The Death & Strike Issue... by Miner13: 5:48pm On Nov 15, 2013
@op
u nid 2 re-edit ur subjet nd coret d error of commissn in ur strike spelin
Re: On The Death & Strike Issue... by ERBCorp(m): 6:05pm On Nov 15, 2013
Yo, thanks for that. @spenca: like I said, critics are allowed

(1) (Reply)

Obafemi Awolowo University 2013/14 Freshers / Tribute To ASUU STRIKE 2013 / LASU 19th Convocation Ceremony

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.