Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,324 members, 7,811,958 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:53 AM

Who Are Shia Muslims? - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Who Are Shia Muslims? (1227 Views)

Genocide Of Shia Muslims In Pakistan / A Timeline Of Sectarian Terrorism Against Shia Muslims / Y Do Wahhabi Muslims View Shia Muslims And Other Muslims As Being False (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Are Shia Muslims? by bintalabi(f): 8:47pm On Nov 17, 2013
Assalam alaekum, can anybody enlighten me on what shia is all about
Who are shia muslims?
What do they hold on to?
I have seen alot of arguments and debate on this forum, some claim to be sunni while their opponents said they are shia, what is sunni and what is shia when the prophet said he (salallahu tahala alaehi wasalam) left just two things for us which is the Quran and Alu-ll baet but I particularly want to know the foundation of shia.
Re: Who Are Shia Muslims? by Harzan(m): 10:57pm On Nov 18, 2013
Patiently waiting while i learn more on google.... Jaza Khair
Re: Who Are Shia Muslims? by LagosShia: 11:19pm On Nov 19, 2013
Re: Who Are Shia Muslims? by AlBaqir(m): 12:57am On Nov 20, 2013
bintalabi: Assalam alaekum, can anybody enlighten me on what shia is all about
Who are shia muslims?
What do they hold on to?

what is sunni and what is shia when the prophet said he (salallahu tahala alaehi wasalam) left just two things for us which is the Quran and Alu-ll baet but I particularly want to know the foundation of shia.

Salam alaykum
That's a tall order question dear sister. Perhaps the name 'Shi'a' seems new (no doubt you would've heard sunni or ahlu sunna many a times). Lol

Sunni Muslim is the vast majority of the muslim world in terms of population while Shi'a is the minority.

Sunni from the word "sunnah (practice of the prophet & that of sahaba)". They are also often called "Ahlu sunnah wal jama'a" (people of sunnah and community). Sunni claim to follow "Qur'an and sunnah" of the prophet through and as narrated by the generality of the companions of the prophet (saws).

Shi'a means supporter, partisan, follower. The word is often used along a noun for it to make any sense. The full "Shi'at ahl al-bayt" (follower or supporter of ahl al-bayt). Ahl al-bayt are the household or family of the prophet (saws). Shi'a claim to follower "Qur'an and the ahl al-bayt" whom they believed the holy prophet left behind to teach Qur'an and his sunnah. Shi'a also believed in the companions of the prophet but placed ahl al-bayt above all of them for receiving guidance since there are many open and hidden hypocrites among the general companions.

POINT OF DIFFERENCES!
Sunni believed the holy prophet did not leave anybody behind as his successor. They believe the appointment of the successor is left in the hands of the muslim community after the death of the prophet. Thereby they choose AbuBakar as the 1st khalifa (successor of the prophet) at a place called Saqifa Banu saida. AbuBakar alone choose Umar as 2nd khalifa. 5member committee out of 6 choose Uthman as the 3rd khalifa. And the community at large choose Ali as the 4th khalifa.
Sunni claimed these 4 to be "the rightly guided khalifs".

Shia on the other hand believed the holy prophet never leave matter of chosen his successor in the hands of his community. Shia claim Ali was chosen as his successor when he (saws) said at his last Hajj: "ofwhomsoever I am his master, Ali is his master". Shi'a also claimed the holy prophet has named 12 khalifa to succeed him after his death (wikipedia) of which Ali is the 1st. Shia also believed the fact that the prophet has left "Qur'an and his ahl al-bayt" for muslim's guidance, Ali who was the head of this ahl al-bayt deserved to be the 1st khalifa. Shi'a do not believe in the legitimacy of the first 3 Sunni khalifas.

Going with this point of differences,there are differences as per beliefs in Allah, prophet, salat, and virtually every aspect of religious life is concern. Some are major differences while some are minor.

As you've embark on this research, you will come across a lot of contrasting information from different quarters. Some will be for and some will be against of. You can only attain a level of certainty when you read from both sides (shia and sunni responses to each other's theory) with an open mind and sincerity.
May Allah guide and keep us to the right path.

Best of goodness.
Wa salam
Re: Who Are Shia Muslims? by AlBaqir(m): 8:02am On Nov 20, 2013
Harzan: Patiently waiting while i learn more on google.... Jaza Khair

Please read my response to the OPs.

However as per learning from google or any other quarters. Note As you've embark on this research, you will come across a lot of contrasting information from different quarters. Some will be for and some will be against of. You can only attain a level of certainty when you read from both sides (shia and sunni responses to each other's theory) with an open mind and sincerity.
May Allah guide and keep us to the right path.
Salam
Re: Who Are Shia Muslims? by DevotedOne(m): 2:53pm On Nov 20, 2013
Bismillaah ir Rahmaan ir Rahiim In The name of Allaah (God), The Most Gracious, The Most Merciful. As salaamu alaykum, The Peace (of Allaah) Be Upon You, everyone.

Salaam Harzan.

bintalabi: Assalam alaekum, can anybody enlighten me on what shia is all about
Who are shia muslims?
What do they hold on to?
I have seen alot of arguments and debate on this forum, some claim to be sunni while their opponents said they are shia, what is sunni and what is shia when the prophet said he (salallahu tahala alaehi wasalam) left just two things for us which is the Quran and Alu-ll baet but I particularly want to know the foundation of shia.

I can recommend the following book, which I have in paperback (ignore typos, if any):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gdpl277euz05lx6/Shia%20-%20Allamah%20Tabataba%27i.pdf?v=0mcns Shi'a by ALLAMAH SAYYID MUHAMMAD HUSAYN TABATABAI

Also, peruse the following site: http://www.al-islam.org/index.php

And, http://islamiclib./

Wassalaam. DevotedOne
Re: Who Are Shia Muslims? by AlBaqir(m): 12:50pm On Nov 25, 2013
religioninform.com/Understand_Shia_Islam.html

(1) (Reply)

How To See Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)in My Dream? Please Help Me, / For How Long Can One Preserver The Meat From Sallah Ram.. / Maulud: Mercy To The Worlds- Arguments For Its Validity By Adamu Adamu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.