Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,638 members, 7,955,321 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 10:41 PM

Investing In Properties For Rent (a Case Study Of Single Rooms) - Properties (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Investing In Properties For Rent (a Case Study Of Single Rooms) (38786 Views)

It's Wise To Rent A House During Rainy Season In Lagos (photo) / Low Cost Housing. A Case Study Of The Cost Of Building A 1 Bedroom Bungalow. / Low Cost Housing. A Case Study Of The Cost Of Building A 2 Bedroom Bungalow. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Investing In Properties For Rent (a Case Study Of Single Rooms) by kolawoleahmed(m): 6:13pm On Nov 28, 2013
nairacountry:
Profit/cost cutting without compromising d standard.

A gud idea. Value analysis
Re: Investing In Properties For Rent (a Case Study Of Single Rooms) by brofula(m): 6:20pm On Nov 28, 2013
How much is d land?
Re: Investing In Properties For Rent (a Case Study Of Single Rooms) by saintolaf(m): 6:37pm On Nov 28, 2013
Ok!
Re: Investing In Properties For Rent (a Case Study Of Single Rooms) by bebe2(f): 7:44pm On Nov 28, 2013
how much be one room for face me i face u for lagos,

pls put the area then the cost.
Re: Investing In Properties For Rent (a Case Study Of Single Rooms) by emmadejust(m): 8:03pm On Nov 28, 2013
see as spyder is leveraging on space, material, cost of labour, cost of Investment for short term roi,
hope you dey pay ya workers well?

some engineers can use labourer cheaply as
if workers no get plans or responsibility on their own

pls encourage respect to all man
Re: Investing In Properties For Rent (a Case Study Of Single Rooms) by bebe2(f): 8:06pm On Nov 28, 2013
Whitehorse:

[/b]@Bebe2
Is Iyesi in Ogun state?[b]

@ Alll
One other thing i think in such about types of land is asking yourself if its better to wait for a few years for the area to open up a bit and then build.

For example, the double plot i have by Checking bus stop, along Badagry expressway (like 10mins drive from Agbara), i got in 2009. There was ABSOLUTELY nothing in that particular section of land, just forest. I was the first person to buy there. I just fenced and left it. As of now (2013), the area looks like below (first pic). Second pic shows my property under development.

So, I'm sure Oga Spyder must have considered the pro's vs cons of building now (with this single room design) vs building later (with a more upscale design)... It's all about the ROI again...

By the way OgaSpyder, you've not answered my question about student hostels vs this type of investment in Enugu. No vex abeg o. I'm hear to learn

at bolded, yes

its after agbara. the road is very bad, but my developer is a hot head, i still dnt know why he bought me dat land.
Re: Investing In Properties For Rent (a Case Study Of Single Rooms) by backwardneva: 8:51pm On Nov 28, 2013
Like how much does it cost 2 get a tipper load f sand 4 plastering,how much is gravel(tipper),a tipper load of sharp sand is how much?
Re: Investing In Properties For Rent (a Case Study Of Single Rooms) by MrMygeria(m): 9:23pm On Nov 28, 2013
Subscribed.

How much would I need to save before I embark on a project like this?
Re: Investing In Properties For Rent (a Case Study Of Single Rooms) by spyder880(m): 10:02pm On Nov 28, 2013
backwardneva: Like how much does it cost 2 get a tipper load f sand 4 plastering,how much is gravel(tipper),a tipper load of sharp sand is how much?

Location?
Re: Investing In Properties For Rent (a Case Study Of Single Rooms) by spyder880(m): 10:04pm On Nov 28, 2013
Mr Mygeria: Subscribed.

How much would I need to save before I embark on a project like this?

Enough money to buy you a land and pay off community youths, then you can build at your own pace.
Re: Investing In Properties For Rent (a Case Study Of Single Rooms) by spyder880(m): 10:05pm On Nov 28, 2013
bro_fula: How much is d land?

N2m in this particular location, before the youths were settled, of course you settle the agent too (me) grin
Re: Investing In Properties For Rent (a Case Study Of Single Rooms) by spyder880(m): 10:08pm On Nov 28, 2013
sayso: Bros Spyder,remember December don reach ooooh.My call will come in the next 3 weeks.

Ok o, we must make a move before the festivities get hot, you know how this part of the world is at xmas?
Re: Investing In Properties For Rent (a Case Study Of Single Rooms) by spyder880(m): 10:11pm On Nov 28, 2013
We are still working here till late this evening. To fill the foundation I started to dig the soak-away/septic tank pit to use the sand removed to fill the foundation. Casting of the foundation coming soon and after that, WE SPEED OFF! cheesy

1 Like

Re: Investing In Properties For Rent (a Case Study Of Single Rooms) by Whitehorse: 10:11pm On Nov 28, 2013
bebe2:

at bolded, yes

its after agbara. the road is very bad, but my developer is a hot head, i still dnt know why he bought me dat land.

@Bebe2. Ok, i dont know that area very well, i do know Igbesa because i bought a plot of land in Royal Palms Estate, located in Igbesa
Re: Investing In Properties For Rent (a Case Study Of Single Rooms) by adetayoonas(m): 12:31am On Nov 29, 2013
Pls I can't see d pix on my curve 2. Kindly send me d pictures. Talktoty4ever@yahoo.com
Re: Investing In Properties For Rent (a Case Study Of Single Rooms) by chyk91(m): 12:40am On Nov 29, 2013
Nice thread, following keenly, but I have a few questions. @ spyder, 1)did you buy this land from an estate agent or a family?
2) Did you encounter any problem like omo-onile problem seen frequently in a place like lagos.
Sorry if the questions are weird, I just love real estate and its something I hope to go into very soon, will be happy to read your answers to my questions sir.
Re: Investing In Properties For Rent (a Case Study Of Single Rooms) by whatofyou: 2:57am On Nov 29, 2013
One thing wey dey anger me well well na the size of the rooms of our 'modern' houses. Land wey go comfortably house three rooms person go eke out five rooms from! I pray that our people wey dey for authority should look into the matter. Na people get this houses, no be rats.
God's speed for your project.

1 Like

Re: Investing In Properties For Rent (a Case Study Of Single Rooms) by spyder880(m): 6:13am On Nov 29, 2013
chyk91: Nice thread, following keenly, but I have a few questions. @ spyder, 1)did you buy this land from an estate agent or a family?
2) Did you encounter any problem like omo-onile problem seen frequently in a place like lagos.
Sorry if the questions are weird, I just love real estate and its something I hope to go into very soon, will be happy to read your answers to my questions sir.

1. This is a family land. I have a branch of my business that scouts for lands that are free from problems, we buy and build, call my man Darlington for lands or houses for sale or rent-08030799100. (Enugu lands)

2. We did not encounter any omo onile wahala, the man that sold the land took another N200k from us and blocked his people from disturbing us, one young man jumped out one day and ordered us to stop work, the seller came out 10 minutes later and engaged the man in an argument, the man left and never came back to worry us again.
Re: Investing In Properties For Rent (a Case Study Of Single Rooms) by MacLovington(m): 7:19am On Nov 29, 2013
Nice
Re: Investing In Properties For Rent (a Case Study Of Single Rooms) by rakumiii(m): 7:47am On Nov 29, 2013
spyder880: Hello my good people, we bring you greetings. We gather here once again to do something very different from what we have been doing. Lets do some business! After brainstorming on some of my previous threads about the business and profitability of building rental properties, I was contacted by a nairalander to walk the talk. We intend to build a full house of single rooms at the cheapest cost and rent same for the increasing Nigerian population, all for profit.

I am fully focused on the profitability of this business, so I will be watching the ROI, (return on investment) very keenly. We have selected and bought two plots of land for this investment.

As usual, the construction of the house, costing, renting and the final breakdown of the profit margin and projection into the near future will all be done here on this forum. Join me once again to make this another great thread, Welcome.

Pictures to follow.

This is an excellent investment with less capital and can be easily accomplished by most average working class Nigerians as opposed to the 20-40M Naira investments that we hear everyday. I have a few questions for everyone on here because I also want to start on a project but have issues deciding on which one to start with.

1) Why go for face me, I face you?
2) Isnt 2 plots too much for this 24 units?
3) Can you really get a good ROI with this project?
4) Did they owner consider self contained units ? or mini flats?
5) Can you build this kind of project in some of these new estates springing up in Lagos?
6) Does the owner care about the people this place will attract? Can he deal with them when its time to renew their rent or pay?

Please I am a novice so my questions might sound very elementary.
Re: Investing In Properties For Rent (a Case Study Of Single Rooms) by Getreal: 9:15am On Nov 29, 2013
[quote author=Whitehorse]

I sincerely apologize in case if this is not properly posted.
@white house, Nike is no more what it used during our days in enugu. There is high density and medium density areas. There are several developments along the nike lake resorts including estate owned by FRSC. Building a Hostel can be ideal in agbani, gariki, thinkers corner, independence layout phase two, etc.

I am currently laying a foundation for a twin two bedrooms bungalow with intention of an additional 3 bedrooms detached duplex (medium density)off d nike rd ie from Nowas filling station.

The project spyder is handling may not be approved in some areas in nike by town planning. So it depends on location like he stated.

Meanwhile good work from spyder...tx
Re: Investing In Properties For Rent (a Case Study Of Single Rooms) by Whitehorse: 1:44pm On Nov 29, 2013
@Getreal,

Thanks for the info. I was in Enugu two years ago, but did not visit Nike area. I must confess Enugu of now is very different from the Enugu of the 90's... What is the rent like for a two bed in flat in Nike ? Also, any idea what students pay for 1 man rooms these days?

@ Spyder,
How much do you intend to rent this your rooms for? Or if you do not want to tell us now, please what is the going rate in Nike/Enugu?

If the figures add up, Enugu should be a good place to invest, property wise, no need putting all ones eggs in Lagos. smiley
Re: Investing In Properties For Rent (a Case Study Of Single Rooms) by chyk91(m): 2:03pm On Nov 29, 2013
@ spyder, thank you very much for your prompt response, I appreciate. another question though, do you also scout for lands or have contacts of
people that scout for lands in other states like lagos, ogun, rivers.
Re: Investing In Properties For Rent (a Case Study Of Single Rooms) by spyder880(m): 2:20pm On Nov 29, 2013
rakumiii:

This is an excellent investment with less capital and can be easily accomplished by most average working class Nigerians as opposed to the 20-40M Naira investments that we hear everyday. I have a few questions for everyone on here because I also want to start on a project but have issues deciding on which one to start with.

1) Why go for face me, I face you?
2) Isnt 2 plots too much for this 24 units?
3) Can you really get a good ROI with this project?
4) Did they owner consider self contained units ? or mini flats?
5) Can you build this kind of project in some of these new estates springing up in Lagos?
6) Does the owner care about the people this place will attract? Can he deal with them when its time to renew their rent or pay?

Please I am a novice so my questions might sound very elementary.

Answers for the above questions.

1. We chose that option because that is what my client has enough money to start and complete, without the stress of toiling to build a huge house.

2. I have never mentioned that we are building 24 rooms in 2 plots, the plan is for one plot only, while we leave the second plot for future development.

3. I honestly believe so.

4. Yes he did, but when the total cost of building the self contained or mini flats were factored in, he opted for this type which he can finish without much stress.

5. I don't know too much about the Lagos building environment or the kind of estates there, we bought this land from a family in Nike Enugu.

6. Of course this place will attract the low level poor people who will be paying something like N3000-N3500 for a room every month, maybe troublesome, maybe owning money for some months, but its normal everywhere and tenants of duplexes and flats default also.

It is better for me to have 12 tenants where 8-9 are paying regularly than have my whole duplex rented to one troublesome washed-out politician/con man who will insist he is not paying me for 3 years while paying police and lawyers to keep me off his back. Better deal with the level you can scare into paying you in time.

2 Likes

Re: Investing In Properties For Rent (a Case Study Of Single Rooms) by spyder880(m): 2:25pm On Nov 29, 2013
Whitehorse: @Getreal,

Thanks for the info. I was in Enugu two years ago, but did not visit Nike area. I must confess Enugu of now is very different from the Enugu of the 90's... What is the rent like for a two bed in flat in Nike ? Also, any idea what students pay for 1 man rooms these days?

@ Spyder,
How much do you intend to rent this your rooms for? Or if you do not want to tell us now, please what is the going rate in Nike/Enugu?

If the figures add up, Enugu should be a good place to invest, property wise, no need putting all ones eggs in Lagos. smiley

The cheapest room in Enugu goes for N3000 (even if there is no balcony or toilet in the yard). I intend to rent these for N3500 because;

1. It is a new virgin house
2. Has some facilities other cannot have
3. Security will be arranged for the occupants.

1 Like

Re: Investing In Properties For Rent (a Case Study Of Single Rooms) by Whitehorse: 3:41pm On Nov 29, 2013
spyder880:

The cheapest room in Enugu goes for N3000 (even if there is no balcony or toilet in the yard). I intend to rent these for N3500 because;

1. It is a new virgin house
2. Has some facilities other cannot have
3. Security will be arranged for the occupants.

Thanks Oga Spyder.

So, lets do some maths here

Cost of land = N1,000,000 (approximately, since its two plots for N2Mill and you are using only one plot for this project)
Cost of building = N5,000,000 (approx)
Total Cost = N6,000,000

Rent per room = N3,500
Number of Rooms = 24
Annual Rental returns per year = N3,500 x 24 = N84,000

Number of years to recover cost = Total Cost / Annual Rental returns per year = N6,000,000 / N84,000 = 71.4 years

@ All,

Is my rough calculation accurate abi i no sabi maths again?

@ Spyder
Abeg what am i missing? I don't think you intend to recover just the cost in over 70years? sad I must be missing something obvious...
Re: Investing In Properties For Rent (a Case Study Of Single Rooms) by Fhemmmy: 3:55pm On Nov 29, 2013
^^^^

It will be:
3500 per room and per year = 42,000 Naira
24 units = 1,008,000 Per year
Say 10% default, that will be 100K default per year and maintenance . . .
So average per year would be 908,000 Naira
Should be able to realize your money back with 6 years.

1 Like

Re: Investing In Properties For Rent (a Case Study Of Single Rooms) by Whitehorse: 3:58pm On Nov 29, 2013
@Fhemmy,

Thanks for the clarification. I knew i was doing something seriously wrong smiley I don dey panic on behalf of Oga Spyder sef....
Re: Investing In Properties For Rent (a Case Study Of Single Rooms) by spyder880(m): 5:02pm On Nov 29, 2013
@ Whitehorse, Fhemmmy, the cost of each of the lands is N2m, not N1m. That is why I am using a PE ratio of 8x as my calculation.

The beauty of this investment is not the property or the noise in the yard, but the future value of this same land in that location 8 years later. You can choose to;

1. Continue collecting free money as rent every month, since you have got all your initial investment back.

2. Renovate the house, remodel it and rent it as something else.

3. Demolish the whole house and use same for another project entirely, like a block of luxury flats in the now bustling neighborhood.

4. Sell the land as a fresh land after demolishion and take your capital somewhere else.

So much possibilities!

1 Like

Re: Investing In Properties For Rent (a Case Study Of Single Rooms) by kostadinis: 5:12pm On Nov 29, 2013
Fhemmmy: ^^^^

It will be:
3500 per room and per year = 42,000 Naira
24 units = 1,008,000 Per year
Say 10% default, that will be 100K default per year and maintenance . . .
So average per year would be 908,000 Naira
Should be able to realize your money back with 6 years.

Thanks Fhemmy. If we factor in the certainty that the investor might request a two year advance payment in all the units, then we would only be anticipating the 10 percent default in the subsequent four years leading to the ROI.
That is 42000X24X2=2,016,000
Then the agreement fees of most probably 5000X24=120000
Total of 2,136,000 bulk cash in the first two years. The percentage of this amount to the total money expended on the project is encouraging for a project like this in the first two years.
Re: Investing In Properties For Rent (a Case Study Of Single Rooms) by Fhemmmy: 5:15pm On Nov 29, 2013
kostadinis:

Thanks Fhemmy. If we factor in the certainty that the investor might request a two year advance payment in all the units, then we would only be anticipating the 10 percent default in the subsequent four years leading to the ROI.
That is 42000X24X2=2,016,000
Then the agreement fees of most probably 5000X24=120000
Total of 2,136,000 bulk cash in the first two years. The percentage of this amount to the total money expended on the project is encouraging for a project like this in the first two years.

I so much agree with you on that and spending such Total of 2,136,000 bulk cash on the other piece of land for anything he wants would take the other to maybe lintel and almost decking . . . Thanks for this great analysis, Sir
Re: Investing In Properties For Rent (a Case Study Of Single Rooms) by Fhemmmy: 5:16pm On Nov 29, 2013
spyder880: @ Whitehorse, Fhemmmy, the cost of each of the lands is N2m, not N1m. That is why I am using a PE ratio of 8x as my calculation.

The beauty of this investment is not the property or the noise in the yard, but the future value of this same land in that location 8 years later. You can choose to;

1. Continue collecting free money as rent every month, since you have got all your initial investment back.

2. Renovate the house, remodel it and rent it as something else.

3. Demolish the whole house and use same for another project entirely, like a block of luxury flats in the now bustling neighborhood.

4. Sell the land as a fresh land after demolishion and take your capital somewhere else.

So much possibilities!

Ummmmm . . . nice one too

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Part Of My Farmland's Fence Fell Down For The 2nd Time (Photos) / The Nigeria Retirement Home Mastering The Odyssee / Re: 10 Most Beautiful Buildings In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.