Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,848 members, 7,841,209 topics. Date: Monday, 27 May 2024 at 01:28 AM

Advice On How To Annul A Traditional Marriage - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Advice On How To Annul A Traditional Marriage (16548 Views)

Why Men Should Only Do Traditional Marriage / She Wants Court Marriage, He Wants Traditional Marriage, She Say He Does Not.... / Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Advice On How To Annul A Traditional Marriage by Nobody: 4:30pm On Nov 26, 2013
Legalize gay marriage. Many people are foeced into hetreo marriage whereas they are gays, hw do u except a divorce free situation in such case
Re: Advice On How To Annul A Traditional Marriage by ekoson95(m): 4:32pm On Nov 26, 2013
Hello Nairalanders, am about to show you the greatest secrets of all time, recently after series of research and logical thinking, i have discovered a way that you can generate recharge cards. So I put it down in an ebook, if you want the secret, you can download the ebook from this link http://www.datafilehost.com/d/1251e0c2
Enjoy!
Re: Advice On How To Annul A Traditional Marriage by Lilimax(f): 4:35pm On Nov 26, 2013
byvan:

Frustration,bad upbringing,low self esteem,drunkness or even sheer stupidity.Yet again,some women are unbelievably crazy,they pull their husbands by the collar and even hit him,before you know it,man looses temper and here comes battering.
well said!
Re: Advice On How To Annul A Traditional Marriage by simplynola(m): 4:38pm On Nov 26, 2013
Is she still waiting for annulment? If he kills her that's the fastest annulment but if you dont want that to happen, let her get a new apartment and stay separated. Families will always intervene cuz they arent the ones feeling the pains and why should your sister return the bride price? All the beatings and abuse she received if you cost it, is more than the bride price. Let her learn from the Kolade and Titilayo Arowolo saga
Re: Advice On How To Annul A Traditional Marriage by ochallo: 4:41pm On Nov 26, 2013
Re: Advice On How To Annul A Traditional Marriage by Nobody: 4:41pm On Nov 26, 2013
Annie2gud: Pls,why do some Men,like Batterin their wives?
I will advice u to create a thread for this question to avoid derailing. We are here to annul a marriage

1 Like

Re: Advice On How To Annul A Traditional Marriage by COOLDUN: 4:44pm On Nov 26, 2013
My dear your story is so touchy, I honestly sympathize with your sister for marrying another woman’s husband, because if he is her husband he wouldn’t have had the strength to raise his hands on her.

Both you, your sister and family should not be blamed for this, the whole blame should go to LOVE who is always blind and so misleading.
I don’t care to know the reason of their quarrel, but only concerned of the beating, no man in his right sense should raise a hand on his wife for any reason.

The two options you have to call off the marriage are these, go to the customary court/keep your sister to your house and force you’re in laws to collect their bride price or forfeit it because he has been sleeping with your sister.

The rate of India Hemp smokers and Drug abusers we have in our society today is alarming, when a hungry man finishes smoking Hemp he would go and lure an innocent girl into love/marriage, when he is tired of the girl after destroying her freshness with his condemned oil, he will resort into beating her to force her out of his home, so that he should go for another innocent prey.

Or you save sufficient amount of money for your sister’s funeral, but then do not expect my condolence ok.

The life of your sister is far better than marriage my dear, focus on the safety of your sister now than her next marriage. Marriage is not do or die.
A living ugliest village Mgbeke is far better than a dead beauty queen. Save your sister’s life now, or expect condolence messages soon.

A Woman/wife beater can never change but graduates from hand beating to weapon beating. God don’t make a wrong marriage to workout, because he created every woman her own husband. Thank you.

4 Likes

Re: Advice On How To Annul A Traditional Marriage by blank(f): 4:47pm On Nov 26, 2013
The reason I mentioned LGA is because the husband's people r refusing to collect the bride price. The reason I mentioned customary court is to give legal backing to the annulment just in case of tomorrow. You know Igbo traditional marriage is a full marriage and not engagement as others call it.

2 Likes

Re: Advice On How To Annul A Traditional Marriage by jaytime(m): 4:49pm On Nov 26, 2013
Annulment should not be the last option just yet. Let her pray to God to intervene and change her husband. There is nothing God can not do. I'm sure she loved the guy that's why she married him in the first place. You never can tell, there might more to the husband's abusive nature than meets the eye. Bottom line: Let her PUSH - Pray Untill Something Happens.

1 Like

Re: Advice On How To Annul A Traditional Marriage by Enkaynwa(f): 4:51pm On Nov 26, 2013
click2cbn: I will advice u to create a thread for this question to avoid derailing. We are here to annul a marriage
grin grin
Re: Advice On How To Annul A Traditional Marriage by soulglo: 4:54pm On Nov 26, 2013
Enkaynwa:
grin grin

Let me laugh with you
grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Advice On How To Annul A Traditional Marriage by freecocoa(f): 5:00pm On Nov 26, 2013
jaytime: Annulment should not be the last option just yet. Let her pray to God to intervene and change her husband. There is nothing God can not do. I'm sure she loved the guy that's why she married him in the first place. You never can tell, there might more to the husband's abusive nature than meets the eye. Bottom line: Let her PUSH - Pray Untill Something Happens.
See I just lost a friend and I'm really angry and this comment of yours just made me angrier so forgive me cos I wanna say " you are an hediot" thank you.

6 Likes

Re: Advice On How To Annul A Traditional Marriage by Exponental(m): 5:02pm On Nov 26, 2013
Go to d Ministry of Women Affairs in ur state, either federal or state, ur sister's case will be handled.
Re: Advice On How To Annul A Traditional Marriage by Godmann(m): 5:05pm On Nov 26, 2013
logica: As long as the marriage did not take place in a registry, by law they are not married. A traditional marriage is informal.

Say what you know sir.

1 Like

Re: Advice On How To Annul A Traditional Marriage by stephnie44(f): 5:14pm On Nov 26, 2013
Bia wait o is it wen he kills her nd comes 2 say I'm sorry dat u ppl wil understand.I hav a distance relative a smal chick who was impregnated by a small boy next 2 where she lives.after much she was forced 2 marry d small boy( just finished sec. Sch den)mths later she complained of beatings 4rm her hubby nd his family.bt her family felt adamant.d funny part is if dey r beatin her,u can c her nd hear her 2ru d windows cos their windows r facin each other cos d flat is close.after 4 children,beatin still continue.one sunday d father was home nd as usual d beatin started,he shouted egbunu moh.d dad rushed out 2 their house nd settled it.bt b4 he cud leave d gate another shout 4rm his daughter.d man was forced 2 tel d girl 2 bring all her belongings nd also 2 4get anything about d children.now she is in d university with a new life.besides she is just 24.u see pls get ur sis out pls she means a lot 2 u nd nothing 2 dat idiot.besides is she chained there?make she reason chioma ajunwa o

1 Like

Re: Advice On How To Annul A Traditional Marriage by Homguy(m): 5:16pm On Nov 26, 2013
uj_sizzle: Thank God for kinsmen, this is their job.
Re: Advice On How To Annul A Traditional Marriage by logica(m): 5:18pm On Nov 26, 2013
Godman_n:

Say what you know sir.
I have.
Re: Advice On How To Annul A Traditional Marriage by Nobody: 5:36pm On Nov 26, 2013
5points: Legalize gay marriage. Many people are foeced into hetreo marriage whereas they are gays, hw do u except a divorce free situation in such case

you dey find woman wey u go rub that thing with abi?

Back to business: how are you sure that is the cause of the problem?

1 Like

Re: Advice On How To Annul A Traditional Marriage by Nobody: 5:47pm On Nov 26, 2013
alotofgrace: that actually touched the yansh of my heart....
the guy hasnt said....pack ya load!!!

but then, see this little write-up

[b]HE SENT ME FLOWERS

We had our first argument last night, and he said a lot of cruel things that really hurt me. I know he is sorry and didn't mean the things he said, because he sent me flowers today.

I got flowers today. It wasn't our anniversary or any other special day. Last night he threw me into a wall and started to choke me. It seemed like a nightmare, I couldn't believe it was real.

I woke up this morning sore and bruised all over. I know he must be sorry because he sent me flowers today.

I got flowers today, and it wasn't mother's day or any other special day. Last night, he beat me up again, it was much worse than all the other times. If I leave him, what will I do? How will I take care of my kids? What about money? I'm afraid of him and scared to leave. But I know he must be sorry because he sent me flowers today.

I got flowers today. Today was a very special day. It was the day of my funeral. Last night, he finally killed me. He beat me to death. If only I had gathered enough courage to leave him, I would not have gotten flowers today.......
[/b]

btw,
islam is dead in Angola
http://abume4life..com/2013/11/angola-bans-islam-and-shuts-down-all.html

are u crazy?!!!!!! C'mon, gerrof this thread.....with your angola bans islams sort of a thing!!!...who will visit a blog of a riff raff?!!!

1 Like

Re: Advice On How To Annul A Traditional Marriage by Onegai(f): 6:08pm On Nov 26, 2013
First, sit her down and ask her if she is absolutely sure she wants to end the marriage. She must be sure, and your family should be sure too, so you can support her against her husband and his family. Because they will play all sorts of emotional tricks (I've seen and heard it all) to keep the marriage alive. So you all must be united in this decision to support her. Then, take the bride price to the elders who were at the wedding, let her inform them of her decision and say her family fully supports this. If the wedding was done in the village, inform the king of your place and his place, let your kinsmen drop the brideprice off. Then walk away. Don't keep contact with the man, don't let her go back, make sure she changes her number. If she must go and pack her stuff from his house, never go alone, go with at least 3 friends/family members. Never look back.

Prayer works when all things align for the Lord's doing, so all this "prayer can solve random issue" posts should be ignored. Until the poster goes to take her beatings, pls let him/her be quiet. Let your sister pray for him in the safety of her new home. And she'll be just fine, be strong for her.

3 Likes

Re: Advice On How To Annul A Traditional Marriage by kukus01(m): 6:17pm On Nov 26, 2013
according to the Nigerian Constitution marriage act chapter 218 section 33-35:

Invalid Marriages

33. (1) No marriage in Nigeria shall be valid where either of the parties thereto at the time of the celebration of such marriage is married under customary law to any person other than the person with whom such marriage is had.

(2) A marriage shall be null and void if both parties knowingly and willfully acquiesce in its celebration

(a) in any place other than the office of a registrar of marriages or a licensed place of worship (except where authorised by the licence issued under section 13 of this Act). or

(b) under a false name or names; or

(c) without a registrar's certificate of notice or licence issued under section 13 of this Act duly issued. or

(d) by a person not being a recognised minister of some religious denomination or body or a registrar of marriages.

(3) But no marriage shall, after celebration, be deemed invalid by reason that any provision of this Act other than the foregoing has not been complied with.

34. All marriages celebrated under this Act shall be good and valid in law to all intents and purposes.

35. Any person who is married under this Act, or whose marriage is declared by this Act to be valid, shall be incapable, during the continuance of such marriage, of contracting a valid marriage under customary law, but, save as aforesaid, nothing in this Act contained shall affect the validity of any marriage contracted under or in accordance with any customary law, or in any manner apply to marriages so contracted.

please read the Bolded: traditional marriages are just societal norms and not under any law in the constitution your sister should walk!!! or rather RUN!!!!!

3 Likes

Re: Advice On How To Annul A Traditional Marriage by kukus01(m): 6:21pm On Nov 26, 2013
READ SECTION 13 TOO:

13. The Minister upon proof being made to him by affidavit that there is no lawful impediment to the proposed marriage, and that the necessary consent, if any, to such marriage has been obtained, may, if he shall think fit, dispense with the giving of notice, and with the issue of the certificate of the registrar, and may grant his licence, which shall be according to Form D in the First Schedule, authorismg the celebration of a marriage between the parties named in such licence by a registrar, or by a recognised minister of some religious denomination or body.

1 Like

Re: Advice On How To Annul A Traditional Marriage by creativemusic: 6:28pm On Nov 26, 2013
wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink special prayer for the man. . . . grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Advice On How To Annul A Traditional Marriage by Lightening: 6:45pm On Nov 26, 2013
I found the advise of the ladies most apt, that is if they are really married and are sure that their hubby has never hit them or that they really walked away from their marriages when it happened.
Re: Advice On How To Annul A Traditional Marriage by SUNNY45: 6:56pm On Nov 26, 2013
Please is DHL,UPS, FEDEX etc not working again? DHL the bride price to them and cut out jhor

1 Like

Re: Advice On How To Annul A Traditional Marriage by SUNNY45: 7:08pm On Nov 26, 2013
Lightening: I found the advise of the ladies most apt, that is if they are really married and are sure that their hubby has never hit them or that they really walked away from their marriages when it happened.

But this is not a case of being hit once or twice, its a case of being BATTERED SEVERALLY. I do not support walking away as that does not guarantee the next man wont result into battery, but seriously, it is not acceptable to batter a woman!
Re: Advice On How To Annul A Traditional Marriage by MacLovington(m): 7:11pm On Nov 26, 2013
Nawa
Re: Advice On How To Annul A Traditional Marriage by Lightening: 7:18pm On Nov 26, 2013
SUNNY45: [b]
But this is not a case of being hit once or twice, its a case of being BATTERED SEVERALLY. I do not support walking away as that does not guarantee the next man wont result into battery, but seriously, it is not acceptable to batter a woman!

Oh yes I condem that entirely. 5 months old marriage is still on the learning curve. We have not heard the man's side yet o. Issues like this can be oversensationalized by the accusing party. Good marriage is a joint venture between the couple backed by God, the author. While bad marriage is also a collective failure. Man and woman alike long for a peaceful home. Only diligent labor can produce it.
Re: Advice On How To Annul A Traditional Marriage by Shaakasi(f): 7:24pm On Nov 26, 2013
jaytime: Annulment should not be the last option just yet. Let her pray to God to intervene and change her husband. There is nothing God can not do. I'm sure she loved the guy that's why she married him in the first place. You never can tell, there might more to the husband's abusive nature than meets the eye. Bottom line: Let her PUSH - Pray Untill Something Happens.

capital NO...... Until d fool kills ha yeaa undecided
Re: Advice On How To Annul A Traditional Marriage by blank(f): 7:53pm On Nov 26, 2013
kukus01: according to the Nigerian Constitution marriage act chapter 218 section 33-35:

Invalid Marriages

33. (1) No marriage in Nigeria shall be valid where either of the parties thereto at the time of the celebration of such marriage is married under customary law to any person other than the person with whom such marriage is had.

35. Any person who is married under this Act, or whose marriage is declared by this Act to be valid, shall be incapable, during the continuance of such marriage, of contracting a valid marriage under customary law, but, save as aforesaid, nothing in this Act contained shall affect the validity of any marriage contracted under or in accordance with any customary law, or in any manner apply to marriages so contracted.

please read the Bolded: traditional marriages are just societal norms and not under any law in the constitution your sister should walk!!! or rather RUN!!!!!

Traditional marriages are customary marriages i.e married under the customs and traditions of that particular area. There is no single customary law marriage rather it is defined by the individual's location (culture).

I have quoted snippets of the marriage act (which you quoted) that shows that the Constitution also recognizes customary law marriage. From the first quote, you can see that if you are already married under customary law to someone, you cannot marry someone else under the marriage act.

The second quote shows that if you are already married under the marriage act, you cannot go and marry someone else traditionally. Now, you RUN!!!!

1 Like

Re: Advice On How To Annul A Traditional Marriage by mirajune: 8:12pm On Nov 26, 2013
[quote
author=Teespice]to the best of my knowledge, if a man wants to annul a
traditional marriage, all he has to do is go to the brides family
accompanied with some elders and a keg of palm wine stating that he is
no longer interested in the marr iage, thereafter the bride price would
be returned.

thats how it is done where i come from and it is called igba
alukwaghim.[/quote]

really? Cus i know abt som1 who wants to annul his traditional marriage, went to the wife's place wit elders n drinks but d wife told her kinsmen dat dey shld not return d bride price. Her refusal to return it is forcing d man to go to a customary court now. Igbos n dia traditn eh
Re: Advice On How To Annul A Traditional Marriage by chizzy86(f): 8:22pm On Nov 26, 2013
And then die? Pls take this advice elsewhere. As far as she isn't married in church or court, she should leave that man joor. You want her dead?

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Can Make You Engage In Cheating On Your Partner ? / Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You / White Girl, Pregnant To Married Nigerian Man

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.