Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,177 members, 7,815,115 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:32 AM

How To Transfer Data On An Old Laptop To A New One - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / How To Transfer Data On An Old Laptop To A New One (883 Views)

How To Transfer Videos To Ipad2 / How Can I Use My Laptop To Record Sounds/audio? / To Transfer Pictures From Computer To Digital Camera (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Transfer Data On An Old Laptop To A New One by nateone(m): 11:18am On Jul 18, 2008
Transfering data from an old computer to a new one is really easy if you have access to the internet and a wireless network.

Things You’ll Need:
New computer with internet capability
Old computer with internet capability
A wireless network

Step1
First, connect your old computer to the wireless network. Nowadays most people use the interent through a wireless network. So basically, if you have wireless internet and you are able to get on the internet, that means you are connected.
Step2
Go into the networks settings. This is usually as simple as right clicking the network's icon and then clicking properties. What you want to do is turn on, "file and printer sharing" within the network.
Step3
Now, go to the folders/data that you want to transfer. Right click or get into the properties of that folder. Check the box that says "share this fodler with network".
Step4
On the new computer, connect to the wireless network. Under control panel or possibly the start menu, there should be an option for "My Network Places" or "My Network". In this folder you should find the data that you chose to share from your old computer. You can simply copy/paste or drag/drop the files to your new computer.

If you don't have access to a wirelessnetwork/internet, you can use a jumpdrive to transfer data. These can be costly and usually can't hold very much memory.
Re: How To Transfer Data On An Old Laptop To A New One by captainhsi: 11:28am On Jul 18, 2008
Thanks.i got that information which seems useful to me.But i have heard of another way to do that.i really don't know neither have i used it.It's the "GHOST"command(windows).can any1 shead more light on this and if possible the uix/linux equivalent.
Expecting the gurus to react grin
Re: How To Transfer Data On An Old Laptop To A New One by adanny01(m): 9:27pm On Jul 18, 2008
Fastest way! Crossed RJ45 cable. That is, computer to computer network. Very easy to set up the cable is just N50. I have my whole hard disk on my desktop, so i can format my laptop now if u send me any bad virus.
Open My network places, Set up a small office network on both systems, restart, share ur hard disk on the network or use shared folder which is shared by default. U shud be able to view both computers on the other.
Re: How To Transfer Data On An Old Laptop To A New One by scantee(m): 4:37pm On Jul 19, 2008
@ADENY01

GUY I LIKE YOUR EXPLANATION VERY SIMPLE

NO BIG DEAL THERE

(1) (Reply)

Starcomms Is Messing Up! / Want To Become An Importer Right From The Comfort Of Your Bedroom?then Read This / Intranet Configuration Needed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.