Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,766 members, 7,824,214 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 05:04 AM

In Pounding Yam, Skill And Strength, Which Is More Important? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / In Pounding Yam, Skill And Strength, Which Is More Important? (7563 Views)

Would You Eat This Strange Looking Yam(photos) / Pictures Of A Yam That Resembles A Folded Fist / Picture Of A Nairalander Pounding Crayfish In The Village (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

In Pounding Yam, Skill And Strength, Which Is More Important? by Tonetonz(f): 6:53pm On Nov 18, 2013
My mum is a typical akoko woman.there was a time when we eat poundedyam everysunday until power change hands,now it has been just twice in two weeks.The problem here is that I can't just pound.I am 5'4,48kg,where will the strength come from,when i pick the pestle within five minutes i just get tired.am i being lazy?have decided to stop eating it though and it is shameful my younger sister pounds well.she is way bigger than me..so,to pound yam,skill or strength.which is more important?...yeah i made front page.Thank God and to everyone who viewed this post

3 Likes

Re: In Pounding Yam, Skill And Strength, Which Is More Important? by deflover(m): 7:22pm On Nov 18, 2013
pounding yam is more of skill and not strength....if you know what you to do...hitting the pistil right is key

1 Like

Re: In Pounding Yam, Skill And Strength, Which Is More Important? by 4tunebest(f): 7:56pm On Nov 18, 2013
Skill
Re: In Pounding Yam, Skill And Strength, Which Is More Important? by krugar07(m): 9:00pm On Nov 18, 2013
Tone tonz: The problem here is that I can't just pound.I am 5'4, 48kg
4' 5", 84kg you meant? grin grin. Cuz ur meant to have enough strength to handle it. grin
Re: In Pounding Yam, Skill And Strength, Which Is More Important? by Sepp360(m): 12:29am On Nov 19, 2013
Strength first; then any other tactics follows!...
When you get fatigue, even with the best skills available, you can't pound yam!... BUT with your little strenth, you can just simply, continously and mechanically be hitting the pistle on the pieces of yam, with time, a soft one would have been ready to be swallowed!...

1 Like

Re: In Pounding Yam, Skill And Strength, Which Is More Important? by Nobody: 3:21pm On Nov 19, 2013
Wow ! ! you really are small shocked.you have no business pounding yam for anybody joor grin strength is important, i have the skill but abeg no strength.

1 Like

Re: In Pounding Yam, Skill And Strength, Which Is More Important? by tjskii(f): 7:33pm On Nov 19, 2013
My sister,no be only you,once I hit dt pestle 2ce,my body go just dey shake,I'll start sweatin profusely, becom cold and hot at d same time,hian cheesy cheesy,na so I jejely advise myself,started usind d tiny morter used for pounding soup ingredients,for d yam,even dt tiny mortar sef no be beans,so I pound for only my husby,d rest of us na to face eba,I no fit shout grin grin

4 Likes

Re: In Pounding Yam, Skill And Strength, Which Is More Important? by Nobody: 10:00pm On Nov 19, 2013
grin how my bobo? @tjskii.
Re: In Pounding Yam, Skill And Strength, Which Is More Important? by tjskii(f): 10:47pm On Nov 19, 2013
byvan: grin how my bobo? @tjskii.
cheesy he dey o,ow ur side,sheee o wa pa wink
Re: In Pounding Yam, Skill And Strength, Which Is More Important? by Sepp360(m): 6:02am On Nov 20, 2013
tjskii: My sister,no be only you,once I hit dt pestle 2ce,my body go just dey shake,I'll start sweatin profusely, becom cold and hot at d same time,hian cheesy cheesy,na so I jejely advise myself,started usind d tiny morter used for pounding soup ingredients,for d yam,even dt tiny mortar sef no be beans,so I pound for only my husby,d rest of us na to face eba,I no fit shout grin grin
.Most of una "can't-fit" pound common nyarm, yet una go wan compare una selves wif men!... "ahhhhrrr!.."...
#winkz#

1 Like

Re: In Pounding Yam, Skill And Strength, Which Is More Important? by tjskii(f): 7:20am On Nov 20, 2013
^^like say u wey dey talk sabi pound yam ,I sure say to make ordinary eba sef,go be war cheesy cheesy
Re: In Pounding Yam, Skill And Strength, Which Is More Important? by Sepp360(m): 7:56am On Nov 20, 2013
tjskii: ^^like say u wey dey talk sabi pound yam ,I sure say to make ordinary eba sef,go be war cheesy cheesy
Lolz!... Na mouth yhu just yarb me so ooo!...
But the truth be say, i dey cook well well, nor be mout, i been don help my aunty cook for her restaurant before...
Abi yhu wan try me?.... *hehehe*
Re: In Pounding Yam, Skill And Strength, Which Is More Important? by tjskii(f): 9:08am On Nov 20, 2013
Try u ke,abeg my pikins stil small,I never ready to chop poison tongue tongue
Re: In Pounding Yam, Skill And Strength, Which Is More Important? by Sepp360(m): 10:35am On Nov 20, 2013
tjskii: Try u ke,abeg my pikins stil small,I never ready to chop poison tongue tongue
hahahahaha!...
Re: In Pounding Yam, Skill And Strength, Which Is More Important? by hooper: 2:43pm On Nov 20, 2013
IT'S STRENGTH NOT SKILL..
IF U GET THE SKILL N DER IS NO STRENGTH,THE POUNDED YAM WON'T BE SOFT,EDIBLE ENOUGH..
IT'S THE STRENGTH YOU NEED
Re: In Pounding Yam, Skill And Strength, Which Is More Important? by Bagayouche: 2:43pm On Nov 20, 2013
Me myself I don't have the power to pound yam,so I don't eat it as much.
Re: In Pounding Yam, Skill And Strength, Which Is More Important? by Dygeasy(m): 2:44pm On Nov 20, 2013
Most Times I Just Stand And Watch And Marvel At How My Mum Does It. I No Fit. My Mum's On The Slim Side And She Doesn't Show Any Sign Of Tiredness. The Day I I Try am My Two Shoulders Hear am.

The Style I Dey Always Use Chop The Pounded Yam Sef grin. Na Small Small. I Go Con Dey Look My Mummy With Stylish Pity. Na Skill O.

3 Likes

Re: In Pounding Yam, Skill And Strength, Which Is More Important? by Odunharry(m): 2:44pm On Nov 20, 2013
Both are nided...bt i tink d skill is mre important..i av ds male friend who dnt pound yam evn though i knw he has strenght of doing hard work bt leav it 4 d younger sister to do d pounding....
Re: In Pounding Yam, Skill And Strength, Which Is More Important? by chimex38: 2:45pm On Nov 20, 2013
I thought dere is a machine dat pounds d yam these days....... Wats up wit d advancement in d tech world.

1 Like

Re: In Pounding Yam, Skill And Strength, Which Is More Important? by Swiftlee(m): 2:46pm On Nov 20, 2013
I can tell with outright confidence that pipo wia sabi level pounded yam, na them go de dis thread!!
#I like puunded yam;buh pounding that stuff is really a problem, most times you see blisters all over ma hand after the excercise, and that alone turns me off..
Re: In Pounding Yam, Skill And Strength, Which Is More Important? by Lilimax(f): 2:46pm On Nov 20, 2013
Are people still pounding yam when we have poundo yam flour readily available
in the market?. Very easy to prepare?

1 Like

Re: In Pounding Yam, Skill And Strength, Which Is More Important? by rodeo0070(m): 2:50pm On Nov 20, 2013
Both is required but skill is necessary. Cos if you master the skill well enough, you'll spend less energy...

1 Like

Re: In Pounding Yam, Skill And Strength, Which Is More Important? by IAMBREEZY: 2:50pm On Nov 20, 2013
cool Let me just observe,i still be learner. cool
Re: In Pounding Yam, Skill And Strength, Which Is More Important? by Okijajuju1(m): 2:51pm On Nov 20, 2013
Pounding the following things has never been by power nor by might;

1. Okazi

2. Ogbono

3. Tomatoes

4. Yam

1 Like

Re: In Pounding Yam, Skill And Strength, Which Is More Important? by Nobody: 2:51pm On Nov 20, 2013
99% strength, %1 skill.
Re: In Pounding Yam, Skill And Strength, Which Is More Important? by homesteady(m): 2:51pm On Nov 20, 2013
You need the two! But I hate pounding yam! Because I always injure myself when pounding angry
Re: In Pounding Yam, Skill And Strength, Which Is More Important? by Presbulg(m): 2:51pm On Nov 20, 2013
For me, na the skill and strenght to finish the pounded yam concern me pass grin
Re: In Pounding Yam, Skill And Strength, Which Is More Important? by abdullkabar(m): 2:52pm On Nov 20, 2013
Only God knows how dem came up with dat energy draining food preparatn....me na ajebota,its nt a must to eat pounded yam..if my future wife insists on preparn it,well i no go discourage her,bt i will nt b responsible for any diziness experienced aftaward.. cheesy

1 Like

Re: In Pounding Yam, Skill And Strength, Which Is More Important? by Nobody: 2:52pm On Nov 20, 2013
First you need skill on how to pound,that is hitting it at the right place and when you start adding water. You can start pounding gently after the first 3-5minute.
I pound very well but pounded yam is my least favorite food.
Re: In Pounding Yam, Skill And Strength, Which Is More Important? by Emmyk(m): 2:53pm On Nov 20, 2013
Both.
Because I always had the strength to pound, but couldnt finish the pounding, why? Because I couldnt "rin".

But now with the combination of "rin-rin" and my strength, pounded yam is ready, baby! cheesycheesy

#teampdyam3timesaweek.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Health Benefits Of Date Fruit (dabino) / Chinese Employers Caught Eating Missing Black Employees In Gabon Republic / ~Aphrodisiac Foods & Recipes . . . ~

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.