Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,622 members, 7,823,725 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 01:58 PM

How Well Do You Know Your Engine? Which Is Your Cylinder #1, 4 Or 6? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Well Do You Know Your Engine? Which Is Your Cylinder #1, 4 Or 6? (12759 Views)

Injector And Carburetor Engine Which Is Better / Knowing Your Engine Configuration. / 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Well Do You Know Your Engine? Which Is Your Cylinder #1, 4 Or 6? by Ikenna351(m): 8:06pm On Nov 18, 2013
Not long ago, I went to scan a Peugeot 406 that has been given the owner some injection issues. And there was a Mechanic already on the car, scratching his head, not knowing the name of winch that have made the car to refused running properly. Well, I did my own Abracadabra with my PP2000 and the winch name popped up immediately

The winch name was "cylinder 2 Misfire detected" and the winch code was P0302. At least, the winch has been exposed. It was left for us to point at it, to the car owner, the winch that has been given him nightmares. Unfortunately, the dear mechanic was pointing at Innocent, accusing Innocent for giving him sleepless night and his Oga nightmares. Guess who was the poor Innocent? Cylinder #3.

First, I wanted to ask the mechanic how many shots of Kai-Kai did he take, but change my mind, because his name could be "Innocent" too. To cut the story short, he may not actually be wrong, since it appears other car brands have different numbering/position of cylinders. Unfortunately, he was wrong to point at cylinder ttttttth (*removed*).

Peugeot Cylinders #1 -#6
Now, Peugeot numbers their engine cylinders from ttttttth (*removed*)

Other Brands
Now, Itttttt (*removed*)

Ikenna.

Edited on 26/05/2020.

2 Likes

Re: How Well Do You Know Your Engine? Which Is Your Cylinder #1, 4 Or 6? by Nobody: 6:48am On Nov 19, 2013
I've never had any issues with my engine before but I know my VQ35DE cylinder numbering. You Facing the radiator count from your left hand as cylinder 1, right hand cylinder 2, middle left hand cylinder 3, n middle right hand cylinder 4, left rear at the gearbox/firewall cylinder 5, right rear at gear box/firewall cylinder 6
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Engine? Which Is Your Cylinder #1, 4 Or 6? by Nobody: 10:27pm On Nov 19, 2013
lomomike: I've never had any issues with my engine before but I know my VQ35DE cylinder numbering. You Facing the radiator count from your left hand as cylinder 1, right hand cylinder 2, middle left hand cylinder 3, n middle right hand cylinder 4, left rear at the gearbox/firewall cylinder 5, right rear at gear box/firewall cylinder 6
Ikenna's observation is quite apt on the different positioning of the cylinder banks on various cars. Now Lomo, your VQ engine suggests a Nissan/Infiniti make and that your bank 1 is to the left-hand (driver) side and your bank 2 is on the right-hand (passenger) side. Yet, the Infiniti M35 with same VQ35 as yours has its bank 1 to the right-hand side, and its bank 2 to the left. The cylinder banks of the Infiniti M45 are configured as yours. So even the Infiniti M35 and M45 have different configurations. The numberings, however, proceed from the front as you have noted.
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Engine? Which Is Your Cylinder #1, 4 Or 6? by simplicita: 12:16am On Jan 15, 2015
Hello Great Nairalanders'

Pls, is there any disadvantages of swapping a 5sfe(2.2l) engine with that of 3sfe(2.0l) in camry? I have been considering doing so any time the engine of my ride will be changed as it is said that a 2.0L engine consumes lesser fuel than that of 2.2L. Moreso, does it involve any work on constructions in the ride? Pls help.
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Engine? Which Is Your Cylinder #1, 4 Or 6? by Nobody: 8:04am On Jan 15, 2015
simplicita:

Pls, is there any disadvantages of swapping a 5sfe(2.2l) engine with that of 3sfe(2.0l) in camry? I have been considering doing so any time the engine of my ride will be changed as it is said that a 2.0L engine consumes lesser fuel than that of 2.2L. Moreso, does it involve any work on constructions in the ride? Pls help.

There are no advantages in swapping your Camry's 2.2 engine to an older 2.0. 200cc's won't really make that much difference in gas mileage, bearing in mind the 2.0 has a less advanced fuel injection system and ignition / knock control. The 2.0 may actually end up using more gas.

Then there's the issue of transmission, ECU, wiring harness, exhaust and mounts etc that will also need replacing. Add the chance of your mechanic messing up your car, the heartache and frustration, cost etc. You won't be saving any money in the end.

Are you really that penny-pinching? If you're quibbling over a mere 200cc advantage or deficit, then I'm afraid you shouldn't be driving a car. Or in the least, you should be driving a 1.0 Kia Picanto.

I tell it as it is.

4 Likes

Re: How Well Do You Know Your Engine? Which Is Your Cylinder #1, 4 Or 6? by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:41am On Jan 15, 2015
simplicita:

The 3s-fe engine mostly found in the toyota picnic can be directly swaped in the camry, harness and engine ecm do not have to be replaced. There are no advantages in putting the smaller engine (you will not get better gas mileage) but on the other hand its about 20-30k cheaper, actually most guys in the market will sell you a 3s as a 5s! Stick to the 5s.

(1) (Reply)

Why Is Peugoet 607 So Scarce Now On Nigerian Roads. / Identifying The Year Of Your Vehicle / How to Ruin a Car (photo).

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.