Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,254 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:50 AM

10 Take-aways From The Nigeria-italy Match - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / 10 Take-aways From The Nigeria-italy Match (25615 Views)

Former Italy And Ac Milan Legend Maldini Dies At 84. / Rev.fr Mbaka- Mikel Obi Should No Longer Be In The Nigeria Team / Nigeria Vs Italy - International Friendly: (2 - 2) On 18th November 2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Take-aways From The Nigeria-italy Match by Nobody: 5:59pm On Nov 19, 2013
1.Eagles do well against European/American opposition: When Eagles had a bad game against Ethiopia and Nigerians were saying, “are these the boys that would go to World Cup? Dem go chop 10 from Spain etc.”, I argued with them that Eagles historically struggle African opposition and do well against Europeans. Our football style is a little different from the typical African gba-gba-gbu football (except for the North Africans who also play possessive football). If you observed Nigeria’s best games at the last Nations cup were against Cote D’Ivoire and Mali, both of which paraded top stars that play in Europe, while we struggled against Ethiopia and Zambia with Africa-based players. Nigeria’s traditional play is possessive and attacking football. To me, even if we lost against Uruguay and Spain in the last Confederations Cup, Eagles did well, we only lacked clinical finishers in that tournament. I was therefore not surprised when with a little better strikers, we held our own against World Class Italy.

2.We don’t have a second defence line: I was listening to Brila FM analysts after the match last night and heard Babafemi Raji and Anthony Bekederemo shower encomiums on the second-string defenders we used in that match. To me, they had a poor day. In fact, with what I saw yesterday, I don’t think Azubuike Egwueke has any business in Super Eagles. Clearly, the failure of Italy from scoring more than 2 goals was not because our defenders were outstanding, but due to the wastefulness of the Italian attackers. Balotelli conveniently turned around Egwueke twice, one of them leading to goal. Two times, after Pirlo’s free-kicks were parried by Ejide/Enyeama, the Italian defenders got closer to the parried ball before our defenders – a clear sign of non-alertness or bad positioning. Our keepers tried though. To me, Ambrose, Echiejile, Oboabona and Omeruo have no back-up.

3.Mikel slows down ball too needlessly: Yes, I know that it is his style of play, to bring calmness into our side after long possession by the Italians, but the truth is, he takes decision too slowly. He needs to release the front men fast. We are not good at counter-attack and I think Mikel is responsible. Sometimes, he even gives possession away. Not to take anything away from him as our bets midfielder though.

http://www.jarushub.com/10-take-aways-from-nigeria-italy-match/

15 Likes

Re: 10 Take-aways From The Nigeria-italy Match by Nobody: 6:00pm On Nov 19, 2013
4.Our attack is good to go: Nigeria has traditionally produced more strikers than in any department in the game. I am also a striker (lol) with more than 100 goals already this year, including 4 goals haul at my debut at the City of David football turf last Friday (LOL). We have always produced fine strikers, just as Ghana traditionally produce more midfielders. I think we are spoilt with options in the front line. We can conveniently bank on Emenike, Moses, Ameobi, Musa and even Ideye for the goals.

5.Eagles concede too much: It worries me that Super Eagles hardly maintain clean sheet these days. even in matches we won, the opponents scored. It is not a good record that the only goal Tahiti has scored in a FIFA tournament, it was against us. Ethiopia scored 2 goals against us in Addis Ababa, even if only one was counted. Even minnows like Malawi and Kenya got goals against us. Not to mention the fact that Uruguay got 2 part us, Spain 3, and now Italy 2. What that means is that on a day our strikers are having a bad game (like in Confederations Cup), we will be losing because if we can’t score we are sure to concede. I don’t know whether the keepers or the defenders or even the midfielders are to blame for this, but something needs to be done.

6.Onazi is a valuable asset: Onazi is a guy to watch. He hardly has off-days. He is good both offensively and defensively. His legs are packed with ferocious shots. He may be our joker at the World Cup.

14 Likes

Re: 10 Take-aways From The Nigeria-italy Match by Nobody: 6:00pm On Nov 19, 2013
7.Oduamadi has blown his chances: Yes, he scored the fac-saving goal against Kenya and put 3 past Tahiti. But even my grandmother will score against Tahiti. He has not been spectacular and blown the chances given to him to prove himself. I still believe we should give the Uche brothers a chance. Yes, IK Uche had a bad Nations Cup, but players do have bad tournament. It is not a new thing. IK also has good disciplinary record. Maybe Keshi should consider replacing Oduamadi with IK Uche in his World Cup Squad

8.Pirlo is a Midfield Generalissimo: Few players have ability to single-handed turn the fortune of a game. Pirlo is one of them. He came into that game and everything changed, dictating the pace of the game. It was a wonderful performance by the Juve midfielder. Thanks to our keepers for rising to the occasion. This guy has only been unfortunate to be around when Messi and CR7 came of age, and when Juve was not winning anything major. To me, Kaka did not do better than this in 2007 to win World Player of the year [when CR7 (2nd) and Messi (3rd) were just coming up].

9.We give away lead too often: Super Eagles still have the traditional problem of giving away lead. If it were Ghana, I don’t think Italy would have been able to come back from the 2-1. That is discipline. Similar thing against Uruguay, when we should have held that draw till the end, before allowing Forlan to make it 2. It happened with the frienly against Mexico last year too. Eagles have a lot to work on when leading a top opposition.

10.Will Eagles do well at World Cup? Unfortunately, I’m not good at predicting. Unfortunately too, football is one erratic game. But I think we should be able to go past the first round. To me, barring injury, this is our best squad to World Cup since 1994 set. Maybe at par with the 1998 class.

20 Likes

Re: 10 Take-aways From The Nigeria-italy Match by Nobody: 6:02pm On Nov 19, 2013
Finally, let me set up Eagles’ strongest 11, the team I want to see starting in World Cup

Enyeama

Ambrose - Oboabona - Omeruo - Echiejile

Onazi

Ogu

Mikel

Ik Uche Moses

Emenike
4-3-3

(Ameobi, Ideye, Dike, Musa, Nsofor to be thrown into the mix, depending on rythm of the game)

20 Likes

Re: 10 Take-aways From The Nigeria-italy Match by johnwizey: 6:19pm On Nov 19, 2013
Good observation bro

2 Likes

Re: 10 Take-aways From The Nigeria-italy Match by AbuMikey(m): 6:35pm On Nov 19, 2013

Frontpage is a Sure Banker!!

So, I'm the 2nd to comment (officially) cool

1 Like

Re: 10 Take-aways From The Nigeria-italy Match by abdulslutsky(m): 6:38pm On Nov 19, 2013
Rythm or no rythm

#Musa Must Go!!!#

Like if u support this ..team MMG

26 Likes

Re: 10 Take-aways From The Nigeria-italy Match by Ikemba001: 6:39pm On Nov 19, 2013
lets keep praying though is going to be a hard one
Re: 10 Take-aways From The Nigeria-italy Match by usmanktg2(m): 6:39pm On Nov 19, 2013
mtchwww!!!

abeg how many times dem play d match ni

next topic: Lessons Learnt from d match

1 Like

Re: 10 Take-aways From The Nigeria-italy Match by mrdrizzy(m): 6:44pm On Nov 19, 2013
oga i believed u skipped d part where onazi failed us a last goal..instead to pass to obu..he wants to dribble his elder.PATHETIC.

anyway d boy try sha

6 Likes

Re: 10 Take-aways From The Nigeria-italy Match by Dynasty92: 6:45pm On Nov 19, 2013
Nyc...
Re: 10 Take-aways From The Nigeria-italy Match by Jayses(m): 6:45pm On Nov 19, 2013
Mme kop sor song

1 Like

Re: 10 Take-aways From The Nigeria-italy Match by beethoven: 6:46pm On Nov 19, 2013
I think John Ogu should be replaced with Nosa Igeibor. I follow him a lot in La Liga and he is a very technical player. Anyone remember the first leg of the match against Ethiopia? it was when this guy was introduced into the midfield in the last quarter of the game that we became stable and began creating more scoring chances. John Ogu is not a bad player at all, it is just that he drifts away from position too often. Also Haruna Lukman has come of age now, it would not be a bad idea trying him out too.

8 Likes

Re: 10 Take-aways From The Nigeria-italy Match by bionicdude(m): 6:46pm On Nov 19, 2013
one thing you failed to spot out is dat ideye is not a footballer.

41 Likes

Re: 10 Take-aways From The Nigeria-italy Match by PurpleHouse(m): 6:47pm On Nov 19, 2013
Nice One!
I have vowed to never say this player should be droped and that one should be droped again when it comes to the super Eagles affair. That was what i said concerning Nsofor and Ameobi; but see how they made me swalow my Humble Moimoi... I now believe Keshi knows what he's doing (Though with a lil sentiments). All i can do now is point out good players who deserve to be invited and not condeming the invited ones by the Big Boss!

15 Likes

Re: 10 Take-aways From The Nigeria-italy Match by Tolexander: 6:51pm On Nov 19, 2013
I don't really support your 4th point on the article above. How many nigerian strikers are presently on the score sheets in the top leagues in europe?
Re: 10 Take-aways From The Nigeria-italy Match by Nobody: 6:52pm On Nov 19, 2013
Take-aways Ngbo, them share take away true true shocked.
Re: 10 Take-aways From The Nigeria-italy Match by Gabrielsylar(m): 6:54pm On Nov 19, 2013
Abegi make we rest na
Re: 10 Take-aways From The Nigeria-italy Match by Lilchilz(m): 6:55pm On Nov 19, 2013
just passing bye
...………….._.---._
………… '…………’
…………/……………\
…………\ (@) (@) /
………….\ . . A . .../ ……………..) ....,,(
……………\ """"" /
………….....`. _ .'
……… ……….=.
… … .---._.-.=.-._.---.
…… ./ ':-(_.-: :-._)-:` \ … …/ /' (__.-: :-.__)`\ \
… ./ / (___.-` '-.___) '\ \
… / /. (___.-'^`-.___).\\
. / /.. (___.-'=`-.___)..\ \
./ /… (____.'=`.____)…\\
/ / … ' (___. '=`.___)……\ \ (_.;……`----'.=.`----'… …;_)
;|| … … ( `.-.=.-.' ) … … '||;
;|| … …… \ `.=.' / … …… ||;
;||………… \ .=. /…… … …||;
;||…… .-`.`-._.-'.'-……… ||;
::\...... ( ,): O Osad, )…… /:;: |||| … / /'`’---'--'` \ \ … ' ||||
‘''''… ' / / ……… ……\ \ … ''''’’
........../ / …… …………\ \
......../ /………… … ……\ \
....../ /…… …… … … … \ \
..../ / …… ……… … …… \ \ ../ /……… …… … …… … \ \
./.' …… …… … … … …… `.\
.(_)’ … …… …… …… ….`(_)
..\\ ……… ………………… //
...\\ ………… … ………… //
....\\ ……… …… ……… // .....\\ ……… …………. //
......\\ ……………… …//
.......\\ …… …………//
.......///) ……………(\\\
.....,///' ……… …… `\\\,
...../// …………………`\\\ ....""' …………………… '""

2 Likes

Re: 10 Take-aways From The Nigeria-italy Match by Damboy96(m): 6:57pm On Nov 19, 2013
Re: 10 Take-aways From The Nigeria-italy Match by Lilchilz(m): 6:58pm On Nov 19, 2013
bionicdude: one thing you failed to spot out is dat ideye is not a footballer.
i swr i suport dis

3 Likes

Re: 10 Take-aways From The Nigeria-italy Match by Bravoosii: 6:58pm On Nov 19, 2013
Too harsh on Egwueke. I thought he did well yesterday and his aerial presence is also very vital.

11 Likes

Re: 10 Take-aways From The Nigeria-italy Match by julioralph(m): 6:59pm On Nov 19, 2013
Mr Jarus, you deserve to be flogged for including Ideye! He should be dropped before Oduamadi.
And I think it will amount to nothing but sheer wickedness if Keshi decides to use and dump Bright Dike again.

10 Likes

Re: 10 Take-aways From The Nigeria-italy Match by Abbey2sam(m): 7:01pm On Nov 19, 2013
abdulslutsky: Rythm or no rythm

#Musa Must Go!!!#

Like if u support this ..team MMG

What are you saying

Go as in "brazil". Or

Go as in leave super Eagle

Musa is goooooooooooooD

2 Likes

Re: 10 Take-aways From The Nigeria-italy Match by fckyourman: 7:04pm On Nov 19, 2013
Person sat down and wrote all this.

Please go and apply as NF Football adviser.

3 Likes

Re: 10 Take-aways From The Nigeria-italy Match by Nobody: 7:06pm On Nov 19, 2013
a lil bit spot on
Re: 10 Take-aways From The Nigeria-italy Match by Nobody: 7:06pm On Nov 19, 2013
a lil bit spot on
follow on twitter @ifetoyosiazeez nd ama ff bck
Re: 10 Take-aways From The Nigeria-italy Match by Olugbenger(m): 7:08pm On Nov 19, 2013
nice analysis.
Re: 10 Take-aways From The Nigeria-italy Match by Nobody: 7:10pm On Nov 19, 2013
ok
Re: 10 Take-aways From The Nigeria-italy Match by kachi6969(m): 7:13pm On Nov 19, 2013
musa suppose dey use size4 health dey play him own cos his leg no fit carry fifa

2 Likes

Re: 10 Take-aways From The Nigeria-italy Match by owobokiri(m): 7:15pm On Nov 19, 2013
Keshi and Ideye sef...

2 Likes

Re: 10 Take-aways From The Nigeria-italy Match by jmoore(m): 7:17pm On Nov 19, 2013
bionicdude: one thing you failed to spot out is dat ideye is not a footballer.
Maybe he is a dancer.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Samuel Peter Celebrates His 41st Birthday Today / Chidi Ofor Okenwa Is Dead / Nigeria Football League Match In 1978. Throwback Photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.