Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,537 members, 7,819,919 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:45 AM

Christianity Is Not Fully Based On Bible Alone - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Christianity Is Not Fully Based On Bible Alone (2678 Views)

If You Can Answer All These With The BIBLE ALONE I Willlleave The Church / i am leaving the church now.Christianity Is Not A True Religion! / Why Christianity Is Wrong (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Christianity Is Not Fully Based On Bible Alone by tobechi20(m): 8:44pm On Nov 20, 2013
Christianity is not defined solely by the Bible. That in fact, a Christian never even has to have read the Bible in order to be a Christian. That a Christian can still be a Christian even though they may pick and choose what they believe in the Bible, because it is not a demand that they follow the Bible .

My evidence: When Christianity first began, there was not a such thing as a Bible. When Paul was preaching his message, the New Testament had just began loosely forming in the aspect that he was writing letters (which were not scripture). Even the OT canon was not closed until after Paul was dead. And during the time of Paul, different groups subscribed to different works of Hebrew scripture.

The Christian canon was not even fully closed until many centuries later. The canon had not even started to be put together until around a century later. This means the the first Christians did not have a Bible. They may have had works that they believed to be scripture, but various groups subscribed to different scripture.

Even today, we see various scripture being held above others.
So obviously something else defined individuals who claimed to be Christians. And the same is true for today. A Bible does not define who a Christian is or what they believe. Just because it is in the Bible, does not mean that a Christian must follow it, or has to be defined by it. I think this has to be understood.

2 Likes

Re: Christianity Is Not Fully Based On Bible Alone by Nobody: 9:34pm On Nov 20, 2013
heresy
Re: Christianity Is Not Fully Based On Bible Alone by Nobody: 10:57pm On Nov 20, 2013
^ ^ ^
Correct!
Before the Bible was, the Words of Jesus was a primary basis, and there was also set of teachings which were termed the 'apostles doctrines'.
And they continued stedfastly in the apostles'
doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of
bread, and in prayers. Acts 2:42
Re: Christianity Is Not Fully Based On Bible Alone by vickyO(f): 1:25am On Nov 21, 2013
^^^ beautifully said.
How can you claim to be a Christian and say it isn't compulsory to study the Bible?
II Timothy 3: 16
All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness..
Re: Christianity Is Not Fully Based On Bible Alone by italo: 2:56am On Nov 21, 2013
idnoble135: ^ ^ ^
Correct!
Before the Bible was, the Words of Jesus was a primary basis, and there was also set of teachings which were termed the 'apostles doctrines'.
And they continued stedfastly in the apostles'
doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of
bread, and in prayers. Acts 2:42
smartchoice: heresy
vickyO: ^^^ beautifully said.
How can you claim to be a Christian and say it isn't compulsory to study the Bible?
All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness..

The people who were converted at Pentecost...

1. When did they become Christians, before reading the Bible or not?
Re: Christianity Is Not Fully Based On Bible Alone by Nobody: 10:00am On Nov 21, 2013
italo:

They never read the Bible in the first place.
Re: Christianity Is Not Fully Based On Bible Alone by Nobody: 10:03am On Nov 21, 2013
idnoble135:
They never read the Bible in the first place.
So how is the post heresy if there was Christianity before the Bible?
Re: Christianity Is Not Fully Based On Bible Alone by tobechi74: 10:04am On Nov 21, 2013
The apostles were not called christians because they read the bible or scriptures but because their action reflects christianity

1 Like

Re: Christianity Is Not Fully Based On Bible Alone by Nobody: 10:07am On Nov 21, 2013
aManFromMars:
So how is the post heresy if there was Christianity before the Bible?
That a Christian can
still be a Christian even though they may pick and
choose what they believe in the Bible, because it is
not a demand that they follow the Bible .
Just because it is in the Bible,
does not mean that a Christian must follow it, or has
to be defined by it.
Re: Christianity Is Not Fully Based On Bible Alone by Nobody: 10:11am On Nov 21, 2013
tobechi74: The apostles were not called christians because they read the bible or scriptures but because their action reflects christianity
It is the scriptures that defined or better still moulded their character.
Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee. Psalm 119:11
Re: Christianity Is Not Fully Based On Bible Alone by Nobody: 10:16am On Nov 21, 2013
idnoble135:
Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee. Psalm 119:11

The first Christians followed the Old Testament? grin grin grin
Re: Christianity Is Not Fully Based On Bible Alone by Emusan(m): 10:17am On Nov 21, 2013
You're absolutely correct
Bible: is a compilation of different inspired books written by Men of God as they were moved by the Spirit of God for reproof, admonition, corrections, and instruction in righteousness.

People of old don't need all these compiled books because those men were present with them. The word of God continue till eternity just that the one which have been revealed and sealed must not be added or subtracted.

But the major point today is that people didn't pay attention to the crutial part of Bible again....I mean the practical aspect of the Bible.

Shalom!
Re: Christianity Is Not Fully Based On Bible Alone by Nobody: 10:21am On Nov 21, 2013
Emusan: People of old don't need all these compiled books because those men were present with them. The word of God continue till eternity just that the one which have been revealed and sealed must not be added or subtracted.
Expecting the Refurbished testaments pretty soon.
Re: Christianity Is Not Fully Based On Bible Alone by tobechi74: 10:22am On Nov 21, 2013
idnoble135:

old testament ; an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth? Vengance

new testament ;turn the other cheeks.

Do you do both?
Re: Christianity Is Not Fully Based On Bible Alone by Nobody: 10:34am On Nov 21, 2013
aManFromMars:

The first Christians followed the Old Testament? grin grin grin
No, they extracted truth from the old testament. The old testament is not useless in it self now. There are events in the old testament that occurred but had spiritual truths in them.
Here we read of Apollos preaching the gospel from the old testament
for he vigorously refuted the Jews publicly, showing from the Scriptures that Jesus is
the Christ.

Even Paul in his epistles brought forth kingdom truths and principles from the old testament.
Re: Christianity Is Not Fully Based On Bible Alone by Nobody: 10:35am On Nov 21, 2013
tobechi74:

old testament ; an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth? Vengance

new testament ;turn the other cheeks.

Do you do both?
Don't confuse yourself.
Re: Christianity Is Not Fully Based On Bible Alone by tobechi74: 10:41am On Nov 21, 2013
idnoble135:

the early christian action was molded by their desire to imitate jesus christ.

They shared food in time of famine just like jesus fed the Five thousand.

They preached authoritatively like jesus

christianity is more of jesus than bible
Re: Christianity Is Not Fully Based On Bible Alone by Nobody: 10:55am On Nov 21, 2013
tobechi74:

the early christian action was molded by their desire to imitate jesus christ.

They shared food in time of famine just like jesus fed the Five thousand.

They preached authoritatively like jesus

christianity is more of jesus than bible
And who is the central theme of the Bible?
Re: Christianity Is Not Fully Based On Bible Alone by SalC: 11:06am On Nov 21, 2013
Yes op you are on point.

Many people think it takes just carrying the bible for one to be a christian.

No, being a christian entails living a christ-like life.

Since the early christians were christians without the bible, then it doesn't take the bible to be a christian.

1 Like

Re: Christianity Is Not Fully Based On Bible Alone by SalC: 11:10am On Nov 21, 2013
idnoble135:
And who is the central theme of the Bible?
The same person who is the central theme of christianity.
Re: Christianity Is Not Fully Based On Bible Alone by Nobody: 11:12am On Nov 21, 2013
Hi Sal, how body?
Re: Christianity Is Not Fully Based On Bible Alone by SalC: 11:19am On Nov 21, 2013
aManFromMars: Hi Sal, how body?
Bros me body dey inside cloth. We thank God.
Re: Christianity Is Not Fully Based On Bible Alone by Nobody: 11:27am On Nov 21, 2013
Sal C: The same person who is the central theme of christianity.
Then why this?
Just because it is in the Bible,
does not mean that a Christian must follow it,
or has
to be defined by it.
Re: Christianity Is Not Fully Based On Bible Alone by SalC: 12:07pm On Nov 21, 2013
idnoble135:
Then why this?
Though i am not the op and cannot say what he has in mind, but i think what he meant is this.....
There are some teachings and instructions which though they are in the bible(especially the old testament) they are not meant for christians today.

Therefore a christian is not obligated to abide by them and the authenticity of his christianity should not be judged based on such principles.

This did not in anyway do away with the central theme of christianity and/or the bible.
Re: Christianity Is Not Fully Based On Bible Alone by Nobody: 12:12pm On Nov 21, 2013
^ ^ ^
Let the OP explain himself or better still admit that was wrong.
Re: Christianity Is Not Fully Based On Bible Alone by vickyO(f): 7:20pm On Nov 21, 2013
italo:

Don't misunderstand me. You become a Christian only when you accept Christ not when you read the Bible.
but how do we come to the knowledge of Christ? through the Bible.
How do we feed our soul with the word of God and thereby increase our faith? by reading the bible
How did Jesus overcome temptation? by quoting from the scriptures
How did Paul and Peter know about the prophecies? they read the scriptures
As Christian, we should know the Bible is the written word of God
vickyO:
and just as we should get acquainted with Christ, the living word, we must also get acquainted with the written word. If not we won't be fully aware of the basic doctrines of Christianity.
And how did we overcome the devil? By the word of the lamb and our testimonies.
It is necessary for us as Christians to study the Bible. God speaks to us through it.
Re: Christianity Is Not Fully Based On Bible Alone by vickyO(f): 7:24pm On Nov 21, 2013
Sal C: Yes op you are on point.

Many people think it takes just carrying the bible for one to be a christian.

No, being a christian entails living a christ-like life.

Since the early christians were christians without the bible, then it doesn't take the bible to be a christian.
The Bible helps you in your walk with God. it's not about carrying it all around, but by studying it daily.
the early Christians studied the scriptures o.
Paul and Peter quoted from it in the book of Acts.
Jesus quoted from it.
Phillip explained it to the Ethiopian Eunuch.
Re: Christianity Is Not Fully Based On Bible Alone by SalC: 7:50pm On Nov 21, 2013
vickyO:
The Bible helps you in your walk with God. it's not about carrying it all around, but by studying it daily.
the early Christians studied the scriptures o.
Paul and Peter quoted from it in the book of Acts.
Jesus quoted from it.
Phillip explained it to the Ethiopian Eunuch.
If you study the bible for years without living a Christ-like life, quote me any where, by the virtues of the meaning of the name christian, you are not a christian.

I am not implying that one should not study the bible.
Re: Christianity Is Not Fully Based On Bible Alone by Alwaystrue(f): 7:56pm On Nov 21, 2013

Luke 4:17
And there was delivered unto him the book of the prophet Esaias. And when he had opened the book, he found the place where it was written

Luke 24:45
44 And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me.
45 Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,

What the early Christians had as written were the law of Moses, the prophets and the Psalms as seen in the quote above and this is what Jesus Christ, full of the Holy Spirit, drew His teaching from for He is the Word, opening the eyes of our underststanding to the deep mysteries and spirit of the laws to make us understand better the mind of God. This is what only Jesus and Holy Spirit can do...it is the same scripture.
One thing Jesus also said was that we should let His words abide in us. His words which He said are Life, Spirit, Light, Truth and Grace. The preaching of the life of Christ as said by the disciples I.e. The doctrines of Christ as well.

What happened after the death of Christ was the Chronicles of the Acts of the Apostles, the letters and epistles and the revelations as received by the Holy Spirit.
Holy Scriptures remain but if read wrongly will never profit the reader. Searching scriptures require eyes of our understanding being opened to understand the deep riches of God.

The Father, The Son and The Holy Spirit agree, none contradict.
That is why Jesus said He did not come to abolish the law but fulfil it, that is give is full expression, meaning and life..

The bible is a collection of these books and letters. It documents the Word of God from the beginning to the end and it is the Word of God that we hear that brings us to Christ and gives us Faith. (Romans 10:14-15)
Re: Christianity Is Not Fully Based On Bible Alone by vickyO(f): 8:21pm On Nov 21, 2013
Alwaystrue:
Luke 4:17
And there was delivered unto him the book of the prophet Esaias. And when he had opened the book, he found the place where it was written

Luke 24:45
44 And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me.
45 Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,

What the early Christians had as written were the law of Moses, the prophets and the Psalms as seen in the quote above and this is what Jesus Christ, full of the Holy Spirit, drew His teaching from for He is the Word, opening the eyes of our underststanding to the deep mysteries and spirit of the laws to make us understand better the mind of God. This is what only Jesus and Holy Spirit can do...it is the same scripture.
One thing Jesus also said was that we should let His words abide in us. His words which He said are Life, Spirit, Light, Truth and Grace. The preaching of the life of Christ as said by the disciples I.e. The doctrines of Christ as well.

What happened after the death of Christ was the Chronicles of the Acts of the Apostles, the letters and epistles and the revelations as received by the Holy Spirit.
Holy Scriptures remain but if read wrongly will never profit the reader. Searching scriptures require eyes of our understanding being opened to understand the deep riches of God.

The Father, The Son and The Holy Spirit agree, none contradict.
That is why Jesus said He did not come to abolish the law but fulfil it, that is give is full expression, meaning and life..

The bible is a collection of these books and letters. It documents the Word of God from the beginning to the end and it is the Word of God that we hear that brings us to Christ and gives us Faith. (Romans 10:14-15)
I always love when ^^^^^^^ comments....
Re: Christianity Is Not Fully Based On Bible Alone by vickyO(f): 8:23pm On Nov 21, 2013
Sal C: If you study the bible for years without living a Christ-like life, quote me any where, by the virtues of the meaning of the name christian, you are not a christian.

I am not implying that one should not study the bible.
Ok....
Re: Christianity Is Not Fully Based On Bible Alone by italo: 8:57pm On Nov 21, 2013
idnoble135:

Were the Pentecost converts Christians before reading the Bible or not?

Simple question!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Some Of The Difference Between God & Allah / Pastor Adefarasin Absent At Pastor Ekwueme’s Valedictory Service / Oriki Ige

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.