Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,700 members, 7,827,564 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 01:39 PM

"Isn't The Bible Full Of Errors?" - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / "Isn't The Bible Full Of Errors?" (1253 Views)

1 Reason Jesus Isn't The Messiah / Who Is Your Favorite Bible Character And Why? / Things Pastor Chris Oyakhilome Has Stated As Errors & False Teaching From Bible? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

"Isn't The Bible Full Of Errors?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:00pm On Nov 20, 2013
"Isn't the Bible Full of Errors?"
by Paul Taylor

Perhaps you have had an experience similar to mine. Some years ago, a participant in an Internet discussion kept insisting that the Bible is full of contradictions. When I challenged him to post three contradictions, he posted over 40. I posted a reply to every one, but within 30 seconds he said my answers were nonsense. Later, I discovered that his list was pasted directly from a website.

The claim that the Bible has errors is frequently just an excuse for not believing. Few who make the claim have read the Bible and actually analyzed any alleged contradictions.

How should a Christian respond when he comes across an apparent contradiction? For this article, I have chosen to illustrate this topic by using three examples of alleged errors. They fall into the categories of false contradictions, mistranslations, and so-called scientific errors.

http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/am/v2/n4/isnt-the-bible-full-of-errors
Re: "Isn't The Bible Full Of Errors?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:57pm On Nov 20, 2013
Can the moderators please move this to the religion section.
Re: "Isn't The Bible Full Of Errors?" by veraponpo(m): 11:37am On Nov 21, 2013
Most of the errors you can notice in the bible are traceable to our shallow knowledge and interpretation/ language problem. The Aramaic, Hebrew, Greek and Latin languages used are not our native languages including English language that has changed like 4 times in my own life time with some called archaic, old fashioned,etc so while interpreting from Latin to English, there must be a wrong or two wrong interpretations. Also from English to other languages....

Other errors are traceable to human error. Some of the initial parches, scrolls, animal skins used were burnt during wars and as a result what we have today is not the original bible (it doesn't make it less potent) but one or two errors are not impossible.
Re: "Isn't The Bible Full Of Errors?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:09pm On Nov 21, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

by Paul Taylor

Perhaps you have had an experience similar to mine. Some years ago, a participant in an Internet discussion kept insisting that the Bible is full of contradictions. When I challenged him to post three contradictions, he posted over 40. I posted a reply to every one, but within 30 seconds he said my answers were nonsense. Later, I discovered that his list was pasted directly from a website.

The claim that the Bible has errors is frequently just an excuse for not believing. Few who make the claim have read the Bible and actually analyzed any alleged contradictions.

How should a Christian respond when he comes across an apparent contradiction? For this article, I have chosen to illustrate this topic by using three examples of alleged errors. They fall into the categories of false contradictions, mistranslations, and so-called scientific errors.

Law of Noncontradiction

Although a diverse group of human authors wrote the books of the Bible in differing styles over a long period of time, the Bible really has only one author—God. Since God is perfect, holy, and true, we know there are no real contradictions in His Word, no matter what it seems at first. So we must delve more deeply.

As one expert says, "If the Bible is truly from God, and if God is a God of truth (as he is), then ... if two parts seem to be in opposition or in contradiction to each other, our interpretation of one or both of these parts must be in error."1

Many supposed discrepancies are noted when people place two passages in false opposition to each other. For instance, Ecclesiastes 7:29 says, "God made man upright." But Psalm 51:5 says, "Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity."

If you look closely at the context, however, Ecclesiastes 7:29 is talking about Adam and Eve, who were originally created upright. In Psalm 51, King David is speaking of his personal situation, as a fallen descendent of Adam. Thus, there is no contradiction.
Re: "Isn't The Bible Full Of Errors?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:11pm On Nov 21, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

Law of Noncontradiction

Although a diverse group of human authors wrote the books of the Bible in differing styles over a long period of time, the Bible really has only one author—God. Since God is perfect, holy, and true, we know there are no real contradictions in His Word, no matter what it seems at first. So we must delve more deeply.

As one expert says, "If the Bible is truly from God, and if God is a God of truth (as he is), then ... if two parts seem to be in opposition or in contradiction to each other, our interpretation of one or both of these parts must be in error."1

Many supposed discrepancies are noted when people place two passages in false opposition to each other. For instance, Ecclesiastes 7:29 says, "God made man upright." But Psalm 51:5 says, "Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity."

If you look closely at the context, however, Ecclesiastes 7:29 is talking about Adam and Eve, who were originally created upright. In Psalm 51, King David is speaking of his personal situation, as a fallen descendent of Adam. Thus, there is no contradiction.

Mistranslation

Allegations against the Bible are often related to the challenges inherent in the work of translation. Most of these problems have a very simple explanation, if you do a little digging in commentaries or other study aides that deal with the original Hebrew and Greek. For instance, the book of Leviticus describes bats as "birds." "And these you shall regard as an abomination among the birds; they shall not be eaten, they are an abomination: the eagle, the vulture, the buzzard, ... and the bat" (Leviticus 11:13, 19).

If you have a good translation, you can often find clues by simply comparing the questionable word with other passages. In this case, the King James Version (KJV) uses the word fowls instead of birds, and the word fowls appears again in verse 20 to describe insects. Obviously, insects are not birds in the modern sense of the word, so you have to look at the Hebrew. The Hebrew word is owph (Strong’s reference number 05775). Although "bird" is usually a good translation of owph, it can encompass anything that "has a wing," a winged creature. It is therefore completely in order for the word to be used of birds, flying insects, and bats. It could presumably also be used of pteranodons (flying reptiles).
Re: "Isn't The Bible Full Of Errors?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:56pm On Nov 25, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

Mistranslation

Allegations against the Bible are often related to the challenges inherent in the work of translation. Most of these problems have a very simple explanation, if you do a little digging in commentaries or other study aides that deal with the original Hebrew and Greek. For instance, the book of Leviticus describes bats as "birds." "And these you shall regard as an abomination among the birds; they shall not be eaten, they are an abomination: the eagle, the vulture, the buzzard, ... and the bat" (Leviticus 11:13, 19).

If you have a good translation, you can often find clues by simply comparing the questionable word with other passages. In this case, the King James Version (KJV) uses the word fowls instead of birds, and the word fowls appears again in verse 20 to describe insects. Obviously, insects are not birds in the modern sense of the word, so you have to look at the Hebrew. The Hebrew word is owph (Strong’s reference number 05775). Although "bird" is usually a good translation of owph, it can encompass anything that "has a wing," a winged creature. It is therefore completely in order for the word to be used of birds, flying insects, and bats. It could presumably also be used of pteranodons (flying reptiles).

Scientific Errors

Critics commonly attack the Bible by appealing to the ideas of secular scientists. They seek to show how a Bible passage departs from modern scientific thought. For instance, Moses says insects have four legs, whereas we know they have six. Leviticus 11:20–23 says, "All flying insects that creep on all fours shall be an abomination to you. Yet these you may eat of every flying insect that creeps on all fours: those which have jointed legs above their feet with which to leap on the earth. These you may eat: the locust after its kind, the destroying locust after its kind, the cricket after its kind, and the grasshopper after its kind."

In fact, we use the phrase "on all fours" in a similar manner. It refers to the action of the creature—walking around—rather than the complete inventory of the creature's feet. In reality, the Bible is very precise in describing locusts and similar insects. Such insects do indeed have four legs with which to "creep" and another two legs with which to "leap."

In most cases like these, you can point out the absurdity of assuming that the author forgot what a bird looks like or miscounted the legs on a grasshopper. Moses, trained in pharaoh’s court, was one of the most educated men of his day.

For that reason alone, an unbiased reader of the Bible would assume that the author had good reasons for his chosen words. As Christians, though, we know without question that the Author spoke the truth and knew what He was talking about.
Re: "Isn't The Bible Full Of Errors?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:04am On Nov 28, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

Scientific Errors

Critics commonly attack the Bible by appealing to the ideas of secular scientists. They seek to show how a Bible passage departs from modern scientific thought. For instance, Moses says insects have four legs, whereas we know they have six. Leviticus 11:20–23 says, "All flying insects that creep on all fours shall be an abomination to you. Yet these you may eat of every flying insect that creeps on all fours: those which have jointed legs above their feet with which to leap on the earth. These you may eat: the locust after its kind, the destroying locust after its kind, the cricket after its kind, and the grasshopper after its kind."

In fact, we use the phrase "on all fours" in a similar manner. It refers to the action of the creature—walking around—rather than the complete inventory of the creature's feet. In reality, the Bible is very precise in describing locusts and similar insects. Such insects do indeed have four legs with which to "creep" and another two legs with which to "leap."

In most cases like these, you can point out the absurdity of assuming that the author forgot what a bird looks like or miscounted the legs on a grasshopper. Moses, trained in pharaoh’s court, was one of the most educated men of his day.

For that reason alone, an unbiased reader of the Bible would assume that the author had good reasons for his chosen words. As Christians, though, we know without question that the Author spoke the truth and knew what He was talking about.

Conclusion

The same methods apply for resolving most apparent errors. If we do not have an immediate explanation, then our starting assumption that the Bible is true must take precedence, and we just have to learn more. In every case, there is a logical explanation— we just have to clear up our own ignorance. The idea that God made an error is never a possibility.

1 Like

Re: "Isn't The Bible Full Of Errors?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:46pm On Dec 31, 2013
Are there scientific errors in the Bible?
Re: "Isn't The Bible Full Of Errors?" by FromGuiriga(m): 2:48am On Jan 01, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

Law of Noncontradiction

Yahweh is a JEALOUS God.
Paul said jealousy is not good.

Resolve this for us please.

Give thanks.

Re: "Isn't The Bible Full Of Errors?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:12am On Jan 01, 2014
From_Guiriga:

Yahweh is a JEALOUS God.
Paul said jealousy is not good.

Resolve this for us please.

Give thanks.

It is a sin when you are jealous or envious of what doesn't belong to you. Our worship belongs to God and He is rightfully jealous when you give to idols what belongs to Him. If you are married would you be happy if your wife gives what rightfully belongs to you to another man?

http://www.gotquestions.org/jealous-God.html
Re: "Isn't The Bible Full Of Errors?" by khattab02: 9:05pm On Jan 01, 2014
hmmm..Interesting op. Alright!!! the flooor is open to atheists. Do you buy it? Or is he correct??
Re: "Isn't The Bible Full Of Errors?" by khattab02: 9:06pm On Jan 01, 2014
OLAADEGBU: Are there scientific errors in the Bible?
Of course na! Them no dey doubt am na!!
Re: "Isn't The Bible Full Of Errors?" by FromGuiriga(m): 10:57pm On Jan 01, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

It is a sin when you are jealous or envious of what doesn't belong to you. Our worship belongs to God and He is rightfully jealous when you give to idols what belongs to Him. If you are married would you be happy if your wife gives what rightfully belongs to you to another man?

http://www.gotquestions.org/jealous-God.html

Give thanks.
Yahweh inheritance is Israel.
In your example, Israel would be "his" wife.
Any jealousy should be directed towards Israel no?
He tells you clearly he is the God of Israel.
Are you an Israelite?
If yes, can you tell me from what tribe?

To answer your question: The issue here is jealousy, not adultery. If jealousy is a sin then is a sin. Adultery is "another" type of sin.
No, I would not be happy, but it does not take away my sin of jealousy, as it "the sin" came before the adultery.

Give thanks.
Re: "Isn't The Bible Full Of Errors?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:35pm On Jan 02, 2014
From_Guiriga:

Give thanks.
Yahweh inheritance is Israel.
In your example, Israel would be "his" wife.
Any jealousy should be directed towards Israel no?
He tells you clearly he is the God of Israel.
Are you an Israelite?
If yes, can you tell me from what tribe?

To answer your question: The issue here is jealousy, not adultery. If jealousy is a sin then is a sin. Adultery is "another" type of sin.
No, I would not be happy, but it does not take away my sin of jealousy, as it "the sin" came before the adultery.

Give thanks.

Question: "Why is God a jealous God?"

Answer:

It is important to understand how the word “jealous” is used. Its use in Exodus 20:5 to describe God is different from how it is used to describe the sin of jealousy (Galatians 5:20). When we use the word “jealous,” we use it in the sense of being envious of someone who has something we do not have. A person might be jealous or envious of another person because he or she has a nice car or home (possessions). Or a person might be jealous or envious of another person because of some ability or skill that other person has (such as athletic ability). Another example would be that one person might be jealous or envious of another because of his or her beauty.

In Exodus 20:5, it is not that God is jealous or envious because someone has something He wants or needs. Exodus 20:4-5 says, “You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God...” Notice that God is jealous when someone gives to another something that rightly belongs to Him.

In these verses, God is speaking of people making idols and bowing down and worshiping those idols instead of giving God the worship that belongs to Him alone. God is possessive of the worship and service that belong to Him. It is a sin (as God points out in this commandment) to worship or serve anything other than God. It is a sin when we desire, or we are envious, or we are jealous of someone because he has something that we do not have. It is a different use of the word “jealous” when God says He is jealous. What He is jealous of belongs to Him; worship and service belong to Him alone, and are to be given to Him alone.

Perhaps a practical example will help us understand the difference. If a husband sees another man flirting with his wife, he is right to be jealous, for only he has the right to flirt with his wife. This type of jealousy is not sinful. Rather, it is entirely appropriate. Being jealous for something that God declares to belong to you is good and appropriate. Jealousy is a sin when it is a desire for something that does not belong to you. Worship, praise, honor, and adoration belong to God alone, for only He is truly worthy of it. Therefore, God is rightly jealous when worship, praise, honor, or adoration is given to idols. This is precisely the jealousy the apostle Paul described in 2 Corinthians 11:2, “I am jealous for you with a godly jealousy...”

Read more: http://www.gotquestions.org/jealous-God.html#ixzz2pFQiXkEo
Re: "Isn't The Bible Full Of Errors?" by Nobody: 2:56pm On Jan 02, 2014
Why is God not explaining all these controversies himself, would have saved a lot of centuries of murder and violence and wars ..
Re: "Isn't The Bible Full Of Errors?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:06pm On Jan 02, 2014
voltron:

Why is God not explaining all these controversies himself, would have saved a lot of centuries of murder and violence and wars ..

He is explaining, it's just that you are not listening.
Re: "Isn't The Bible Full Of Errors?" by larrymoore(m): 4:53pm On Jan 02, 2014
An error free bible for sale, I ve the main original copy long kept by the council of constantinopole
Re: "Isn't The Bible Full Of Errors?" by franklyn009(m): 5:12pm On Jan 02, 2014
Re: "Isn't The Bible Full Of Errors?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:51pm On Sep 03, 2018
OLAADEGBU:

by Paul Taylor

www.livingwaters.com

"Isn't the Bible full of mistakes since men wrote it?"

It is true, that men wrote the Bible. But let me ask you a question: when you write a letter, do you write the letter or does the pen? Well, you write the letter, but the pen is the instrument that you use. In the same way, God penned His letter to humanity through the instruments of men. The Scriptures say of themselves, "ALL scripture is given by inspiration of God" (2 Timothy 3:16). I have been reading the Bible every day without fail for about three decades, and I haven't found any mistakes in God's Word. In fact it is full of Scientific facts, medical facts, and full of prophecies that prove that that Book is inspired by Almighty God.

A young man once received a letter from a lawyer. The letter said: "You have been left money by your grandmother." So he went in to the lawyer, sat in his office, and the lawyer read him the letter. It (the last will and testament of his grandmother) said: "I hereby leave my grandson $20,000 and my Bible, and all that it contains." Well, he knew what the Bible contained, so he took that old Bible with its brass clasps and stuck it on the high shelf in his room. Then he spent that $20,000 in about three months, and lived his life as a pauper, barely scraping for every meal and the clothes on his back. About sixty years later his relatives had to come and take him away -- he was so destitute. As he reached up to get a hold of that old Bible off the shelf, and as his trembling hands grabbed it, it suddenly slipped out of his hands and fell on the floor and opened up to reveal a $100 bill between every page! That man could have lived his life in luxury but didn't, simply because of his prejudice.

The Bible is full of riches - the riches of everlasting life. It is the greatest riches that anyone could ever want. Don't let your prejudice stop you getting right with God. Call upon His Name. Say, "God forgive me, I'm a sinner." Confess your sin to Him, name your sin, and you will find that God will prove Himself to you and suddenly the Bible will come alive as the living Word of God which it is.

From "The Evidence Bible"

[Source] https://www.facebook.com/official.Ray.Comfort 17 August 2014 at 17:00 ·

(1) (Reply)

| / Why Will A Loving God Say This??????? / Tithe Of A Worldly Worker, Acceptable To God Or Not?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.