Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,160 members, 7,818,532 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:06 PM

Religious Immorality (part 1); Top 5 Failed Moral Stories In The Bible - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Religious Immorality (part 1); Top 5 Failed Moral Stories In The Bible (1244 Views)

Apostle Johnson Suleiman Explains Why His Prophecy On The Election Failed. / The Fight Against Self-servicing, Lust And Sex.ual Immorality / Alcohol And Immorality By Pastor Adeboye (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Religious Immorality (part 1); Top 5 Failed Moral Stories In The Bible by Nobody: 10:48pm On Dec 21, 2013
I got this idea from Richard Dawkins when he was at a BBC debate- the christians claimed that the bible was a book for morality and then he asked what was the moral lesson to be learnt from Lot and giving his daughters to the city people......

5) The serpent being the bad guy in the Adam and Eve creation story (Genesis 2 and 3)
Think about it-
-First, Adam and Eve didnt know that they were naked and were ignorant about morality (good vs bad)
-God was okay leaving them like that ignorance and told them not to eat from the forbidden tree or fruit
-The serpent told them to eat the fruit
-They ate the fruit and realised that they were naked. They hid from God.
-God punished them for eating the fruit. God also punished the serpent

The serpent wanted them to gain knowledge. He even told them the truth that-
1) they wont die
2) they will gain knowledge
The serpent was a good guy!! lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

How the morality fails
a) God left Adam and Eve in ignorance (about their unclothedness and stuff)
b) God punished Adam and Eve for gaining knowledge
c) God punished the snake. BUT WAIT!! The snake is only a form used by the devil......Satan could change to a man, thereby escaping the punishment meant for him as a snake.....so all snakes punished by not having legs (Genesis 3;14) while Satan changes to his original form.

4) Paul teaching and writing letters about supposedly good "church ethics" (1 Galatians 14)
Here is what Paul (who is one of the most revered biblical figures when it comes to scriptural teachings in christianity) had to say about women in churches;

Women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the law says.
(1 Corinthians 14;34)

How the morality fails
a) Instead of teaching proper church governance, it teaches sexism in form of submission of women
b) It contradicts his own earlier teaching of equality;
"There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus." (Galatians 3:28)

3) Jesus and the Canaanite woman were supposedly meant to teach us the morality of humility and faith
Matthew 15:22-26:
A Canaanite woman from that vicinity came to him, crying out, "Lord, Son of David, have mercy on me! My daughter is suffering terribly from demon-possession." Jesus did not answer a word. So his disciples came to him and urged him, "Send her away, for she keeps crying out after us." He answered, "I was sent only to the lost sheep of Israel." The woman came and knelt before him. "Lord, help me!" she said. He replied, "It is not right to take the children's bread and toss it to their dogs."

-The above bible passage was meant to teach us the power of perseverance and faith as Jesus later healed the woman albeit after reject her at first

How the morality fails
a) Racism/tribalism- why would Jesus reject her at first on the basis that she was not a Jew/Isrealite? Canaanites not good enough?
b) Why would Jesus refer to someone as a dog? Even though it could be said to be metaphorical, anyone would take offence to being rejected with a parable/proverb referring to you as a dog receiving children's bread.......
c) Healing her doesnt change the fact that the Canaanite woman was insulted just for asking for her daughter to be healed.

2) Job teaches us about faith and obedience to God (Job 1 and 2)
The story of Job recap;
Job is a wealthy man with a family
-Satan sees this and wants God to test his faith
-God allows Satan to destroy Job's property
-Job still praises God despite his loss
-God boasts to Satan that Job is still faithful despite his loss
-Satan boasts back that if Job's children are killed, he will lose faith and curse God (Job 2;4)
-Job's children are killed and Job gets more suffering
-Job remains faithful despite suffering
- God is pleased.
-God rewards Job with wealth and new children/family

Why the morality fails
a) Seriously, couldnt God find a way to do a less harmful test of someone's faith? Job's children had to be killed? All for what? To test faith? Shouldnt an all knowing God already know the depths of someone's faith without a test?
b) Can children be replaced? If one lost 3 children, would having 3 more children effectively replace the personalities of the first 3 children?
c) Notice how Satan convinces God to unleash harm on Job. When did Satan aka the bad guy have much sway on God?

[size=14pt]And the winner is.....[/size]
1)Abraham teaches us that obedience is better than sacrifice
We all know the story of Abraham.....
-Abraham is told by God to sacrifice his son (Isaac)
-Abraham carries his son to the altar to sacrifice, like an obedient man
-God halts him and sends a ram/goat/sheep for the sacrifice instead
-Isaac is saved

Why the morality fails SPECTACULARLY
We should note that this is easily one of the most common bible stories for morality. However, people forget that a sensible parent would have refused to sacrifice his child. Seriously, a morally sound parent would have either outrightly refused to sacrifice his child or offer himself in place of the child. Really? You would kill your child for the glory of God?

And why must God test people? An all knowing God needing to test people? Furthermore, God was pleased with Abraham. No. No, no , no- a good and moral God would have criticised and lambasted Abraham for his willingness to sacrifice his child. What if God didnt send the ram? Abraham would have killed his son?

6 Likes

Re: Religious Immorality (part 1); Top 5 Failed Moral Stories In The Bible by Ajibam: 11:02pm On Dec 21, 2013
okay... cool
Re: Religious Immorality (part 1); Top 5 Failed Moral Stories In The Bible by Joshthefirst(m): 11:06pm On Dec 21, 2013
Like richard our good friend, you are ignorant of the bible's teachings and misinterpret its doctrine. No one owes you any obligation of explaining bible teachings to you when you will just jump up and down without appreciation.

Merry Christmas.

1 Like

Re: Religious Immorality (part 1); Top 5 Failed Moral Stories In The Bible by Ajibam: 11:17pm On Dec 21, 2013
Joshthefirst: Like richard our good friend, you are ignorant of the bible's teachings and misinterpret its doctrine. No one owes you any obligation of explaining bible teachings to you when you will just jump up and down without appreciation.

Merry Christmas.
he is afraid to reply..
lemme help him.

same to you bro. grin

Re: Religious Immorality (part 1); Top 5 Failed Moral Stories In The Bible by Joshthefirst(m): 11:18pm On Dec 21, 2013
Ajibam:
he is afraid to reply..
lemme help him.

same to you bro. grin
grin
Re: Religious Immorality (part 1); Top 5 Failed Moral Stories In The Bible by yomskin(m): 11:26pm On Dec 21, 2013
I think you should edit your post. Who are you to question God.

U definitely don't know why GOD IS GOD.
Re: Religious Immorality (part 1); Top 5 Failed Moral Stories In The Bible by samsard(m): 11:35pm On Dec 21, 2013
yomskin: I think you should edit your post. Who are you to question God.

U definitely don't know why GOD IS GOD.

God is an imaginary or real (according to you) 'dictator'. Nice one..
Re: Religious Immorality (part 1); Top 5 Failed Moral Stories In The Bible by emyguz(m): 11:50pm On Dec 21, 2013
Joshthefirst: Like richard our good friend, you are ignorant of the bible's teachings and misinterpret its doctrine. No one owes you any obligation of explaining bible teachings to you when you will just jump up and down without appreciation.

Merry Christmas.

Have you ever read about the history of Christmas? I guess not. mean while where was it written in the bible that Jesus as born on 25th December?
Re: Religious Immorality (part 1); Top 5 Failed Moral Stories In The Bible by Joshthefirst(m): 11:53pm On Dec 21, 2013
emyguz:

Have you ever read about the history of Christmas? I guess not. mean while where was it written in the bible that Jesus as born on 25th December?
don't derail na. And we remember Jesus birth on the 25th, we don't claim he was born on the 25th. Park well. grin
Re: Religious Immorality (part 1); Top 5 Failed Moral Stories In The Bible by kambo(m): 12:02am On Dec 22, 2013
First rchard dawkins and the poster wanted to prove tht the bible / God is evil then they combed the scriptures ardently until they found wat they where lookg for. Then AHA they now hav somthg to cast more smear on christianity.
Pathetc for its unobjectiveness.
First,by now all atheists on this forum wud agree tht their stand on the God issue is not derived from cold logcal reasoning.
On an even deeper level there is a difference btw provg God isnt Real - which is the pivot on what atheism/theism hangs on and proving GOD or God's people are imperfect/evil/etc.
Immorality in d bible?
If every page and character in d bible where immoral but the event narrated were true and God is real,then the reader has nothing other an ungarnished true account and a fact:God is real . It doesnt in any logical way automatically translate to God is not real.
If the poster is tryg to show atheists ar more moral, he shud also read d verses tht say their man made morality is not acceptable to God.
Poster you've made no point with this post.

Did dawkins and the poster read anythng encouragg in d bible?

Like jesus raisg the dead? U didnt one.
Or God deliverg a nation from years of captivity . Oops blinders on.
How about paul, shaking the snake tht bit him into the fire? Testimony of a miracle wrkg God.
Paul predctg the storm tht crashed the ship.
Paul prayg for the father of the governor of malta and him being healed - not in the bible you and dawkins read.
Oh. The sieve you both used was designed to catch any thng tht cud b used to smear.
So much for atheists objectvely concludg on d God issue.
An objectve assessment would b blind like the statue used to symbolise the law.
It wud dispassionately list the pros and cons. Then say which tips the scale.
How about the God who saved a family from famine and a widow from losing her sons to her late husband's creditors by a miracle?
I praise your objectivity but try harder . Mayb,Your big ball of mud will one day stck .

2 Likes

Re: Religious Immorality (part 1); Top 5 Failed Moral Stories In The Bible by Ajibam: 12:10am On Dec 22, 2013
emyguz:

merry Christmas
Re: Religious Immorality (part 1); Top 5 Failed Moral Stories In The Bible by Brimmie(m): 12:29am On Dec 22, 2013
LB, na when be service today? undecided
Re: Religious Immorality (part 1); Top 5 Failed Moral Stories In The Bible by Icudkill: 2:19am On Dec 22, 2013
And here we go again
Re: Religious Immorality (part 1); Top 5 Failed Moral Stories In The Bible by Nobody: 2:48am On Dec 22, 2013
Job's story was included into the bible to keep people in the delusion of Christianity. To stop them from questioning the actions/existence/partiality of God during times of hardship, a story to depict God as Omniscience; who knows why everybad incident happens to people, so therefore he shouldn't be questioned cause he Might favour you again. EPIC FAIL. Why should a loving God play puppeteer with ones life.

Apart from the normal "You are ignorant of/ misinterpreting the doctorine" gibberish Christians use, is there anyway Christians can defend paul sexist teachings. Yes i'm ignorant, pls interpret it so others can understand better.

The Abraham's story is also another case of keeping Christian in the religious delusion. Reason it this way. I asked you to
kill your child to test your obedience and loyality to me(you might say I'm a mere human being who can't be compared to God, don't forget i was created in his own image and likeness grin), what does that make me? a dictator?
Then i later provide an innocent ram, and ask you to slaughter it, a ram i won't eat/consume, but just to slaughter it for the cheerful purpose of Animal Cruelty. Doesn't this make me a sadistic joker/psychopath?
To even think that Abraham tried to kill his only son who was devoid of any offence, just to proof his loyalty, is a case of it's own for another day wink. Birds of the same feather............

Lmfao, Why won't God punish the serpent(for leading people to knowledge o), after all the guy wan spoil em show na. Abi is it easy to keep someone in total ignorance. Okay, he punished the serpent an innocent creature that was possessed(na the snake fault say na em dem choose? grin) and not satan that was responsible; thus is the reason why snakes crawl with their belly. Wow, and to think some Christians don't believe in fairytales.
Once again i expect my Christian brothers to state the overused line "God's ways can't be understood." Another statement formulated to keep peoples delusion in-check and reduce questioning.
The person who invented all this(i heard it was constantine o) is more brilliant than Einstein.

The story of the creation has blinded people so much into believing peoples life are being owned by a puppeteer, who dictates when and how things happen, who chooses what he wants to happen to our life and gets away with it. Who decides who gets to live and who doesn't.

Objective reasoning goes a long way people, as my former Vp would say 'Use ya brain.'

PS: I have no problem/disregard for whatever religion one is into. I'm just stating my opinions and observations.
Mods dont hide my post or ban me o.
Re: Religious Immorality (part 1); Top 5 Failed Moral Stories In The Bible by Nobody: 4:19am On Dec 22, 2013

Merry Christmas.

What did I misinterpret? Do you misunderstand simple logic? Or would you agree to sacrifice your son like Abraham?

I know that you have nothing to say
Re: Religious Immorality (part 1); Top 5 Failed Moral Stories In The Bible by Mynd44: 4:24am On Dec 22, 2013
Logicboy, be nice
Re: Religious Immorality (part 1); Top 5 Failed Moral Stories In The Bible by texanomaly(f): 5:26am On Dec 22, 2013
Logicboy03:

What the fuq?

Hahahahaha...I can't breath

@topic
Logicboy03:
The serpent wanted them to gain knowledge. He even told them the truth that-
1) they wont die
2) they will gain knowledge
The serpent was a good guy!!

Actually, the bolded is a lie. Before they ate the fruit, they were immortal. They would have stayed in the garden forever, and never die. Once they ate the fruit, they could eventually die. So was it the truth? Btw...you sound like Alfa here.
Re: Religious Immorality (part 1); Top 5 Failed Moral Stories In The Bible by Nobody: 6:02am On Dec 22, 2013
texanomaly:

@topic

Actually, the bolded is a lie. Before they ate the fruit, they were immortal. They would have stayed in the garden forever, and never die. Once they ate the fruit, they could eventually die. So was it the truth? Btw...you sound like Alfa here.

Huh? Did the fruit kill them? Did the bible actually say that Adam and Eve were immortal?
Re: Religious Immorality (part 1); Top 5 Failed Moral Stories In The Bible by Nobody: 7:22am On Dec 22, 2013
kambo: First rchard dawkins and the poster wanted to prove tht the bible / God is evil then they combed the scriptures ardently until they found wat they where lookg for. Then AHA they now hav somthg to cast more smear on christianity.
Pathetc for its unobjectiveness.
First,by now all atheists on this forum wud agree tht their stand on the God issue is not derived from cold logcal reasoning.
On an even deeper level there is a difference btw provg God isnt Real - which is the pivot on what atheism/theism hangs on and proving GOD or God's people are imperfect/evil/etc.
Immorality in d bible?
If every page and character in d bible where immoral but the event narrated were true and God is real,then the reader has nothing other an ungarnished true account and a fact:God is real . It doesnt in any logical way automatically translate to God is not real.
If the poster is tryg to show atheists ar more moral, he shud also read d verses tht say their man made morality is not acceptable to God.
Poster you've made no point with this post.

Did dawkins and the poster read anythng encouragg in d bible?

Like jesus raisg the dead? U didnt one.
Or God deliverg a nation from years of captivity . Oops blinders on.
How about paul, shaking the snake tht bit him into the fire? Testimony of a miracle wrkg God.
Paul predctg the storm tht crashed the ship.
Paul prayg for the father of the governor of malta and him being healed - not in the bible you and dawkins read.
Oh. The sieve you both used was designed to catch any thng tht cud b used to smear.
So much for atheists objectvely concludg on d God issue.
An objectve assessment would b blind like the statue used to symbolise the law.
It wud dispassionately list the pros and cons. Then say which tips the scale.
How about the God who saved a family from famine and a widow from losing her sons to her late husband's creditors by a miracle?
I praise your objectivity but try harder . Mayb,Your big ball of mud will one day stck .

Dude, this is nonsense again from you.

However, since you claimed I didnt attack your arguments the other day, I'll do that now.

First of all, the OP isn't about the existence or reality of God or not. The OP is simply saying, we do not get our morality from the bible. In essence, there are more ammoral lessons in the bible than the moral ones.

Secondly, showing there are also moral lessons in the bible doesn't in anyway make the ammoral ones more moral. If you pick up mein kpamf, I'm pretty sure there are some moral lessons there as well. It however doesn't make the book less evil.

Thirdly, I don't think the poster is saying atheist are more moral. Even though that may be his position, he didnt concede it in the op.

Lastly, I hope you realise you didnt attack any of the ops arguments. You never showed why any of those actions are moral and not immoral. You simply threw some straws and attacked the straws.

Thanks cheesy
Re: Religious Immorality (part 1); Top 5 Failed Moral Stories In The Bible by lanaVello1(m): 1:22pm On Dec 22, 2013
lmao....'animal cruelty' seriously? tf?!? grin grin
Re: Religious Immorality (part 1); Top 5 Failed Moral Stories In The Bible by texanomaly(f): 12:42am On Dec 23, 2013
Logicboy03:

Huh? Did the fruit kill them? Did the bible actually say that Adam and Eve were immortal?

It doesn't actually use the word immortal, but they were to remain in the garden and never die. Some think it is only spiritual death here, but it is literal. The fruit did not kill them, but it made it possible for them to die (mortal). They could now live out a mortal life and have children. They could not do that before. This was part of Gods plan for us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=JBNpksB6yns
Re: Religious Immorality (part 1); Top 5 Failed Moral Stories In The Bible by Nobody: 4:36am On Dec 25, 2013
texanomaly:

It doesn't actually use the word immortal, but they were to remain in the garden and never die. Some think it is only spiritual death here, but it is literal. The fruit did not kill them, but it made it possible for them to die (mortal). They could now live out a mortal life and have children. They could not do that before. This was part of Gods plan for us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=JBNpksB6yns

Nonsense. The bible never said that they were immortal. It is your interpretation. We are deviating from the original point here- god was wrong to leaave adam n eve ignorant
Re: Religious Immorality (part 1); Top 5 Failed Moral Stories In The Bible by texanomaly(f): 4:53am On Dec 25, 2013
Logicboy03:

Nonsense. The bible never said that they were immortal. It is your interpretation. We are deviating from the original point here- god was wrong to leaave adam n eve ignorant

He didn't. He knew Satan wood tempt Eve. Adam fell that man might be. Besides, since when do you care what the Bible says?
Re: Religious Immorality (part 1); Top 5 Failed Moral Stories In The Bible by Nobody: 6:20am On Dec 25, 2013
texanomaly:

He didn't. He knew Satan wood tempt Eve. Adam fell that man might be. Besides, since when do you care what the Bible says?

Its okay. This thread is beyond ur capacity
Re: Religious Immorality (part 1); Top 5 Failed Moral Stories In The Bible by texanomaly(f): 6:22am On Dec 25, 2013
Logicboy03:

I think you are right...

MERRY CHRISTMAS

To those who celebrate it.
Re: Religious Immorality (part 1); Top 5 Failed Moral Stories In The Bible by Nobody: 8:27am On Dec 25, 2013
texanomaly:

I think you are right...

MERRY CHRISTMAS

To those who celebrate it.

Merry xmas
Re: Religious Immorality (part 1); Top 5 Failed Moral Stories In The Bible by Nobody: 4:21am On Dec 28, 2013
Funny how many xtians avoided this thread....
Re: Religious Immorality (part 1); Top 5 Failed Moral Stories In The Bible by texanomaly(f): 5:59am On Dec 28, 2013
Logicboy03: Funny how many xtians avoided this thread....

It is because when you are 'pinned' you say things like this:

Logicboy03:

Why should we bother?
Re: Religious Immorality (part 1); Top 5 Failed Moral Stories In The Bible by Nobody: 6:00am On Dec 28, 2013
texanomaly:

It is because when you are 'pinned' you say things like this:

Why should we bother?

How did you pin me?

(1) (2) (Reply)

(opinion)apostle Paul Was A Religious Tyrant And A Sexist / Actions Of Boko Haram Is Against Islamic Teachings / Saturday Or Sunday - When Is The Real Sabbath Day?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.