Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,736 members, 7,837,664 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 09:08 AM

Is It Bad To Greet Someone Older Dan U " How Are U " Or "How Are U Doing". - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is It Bad To Greet Someone Older Dan U " How Are U " Or "How Are U Doing". (983 Views)

What's Wrong With Asking Someone Older 'how Are You'? / Black Mothers Have Lost It - Bad Parenting Culture(video) / Shehu Uthman Dan Fodio Founder Of The Sokoto Caliphate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Bad To Greet Someone Older Dan U " How Are U " Or "How Are U Doing". by israeltob(m): 6:44am On Nov 21, 2013
please i need help on this. I don chop early morning slap for this abd i no wan reply the person yet. I dey wait for him broda to come and talk to her. I just dey do good boy, greeted this girl and asked her how are u doing this morning? Meanwhile she is just 2yrs older not even up to 2 self, and d next thing na slap for my dirty face. Hmmmmmmmmm, nkan beeeee.
Re: Is It Bad To Greet Someone Older Dan U " How Are U " Or "How Are U Doing". by bigtt76(f): 6:47am On Nov 21, 2013
Hmmm ...you never tell us the truth. There's more to that greeting than you are revealing grin grin
Re: Is It Bad To Greet Someone Older Dan U " How Are U " Or "How Are U Doing". by sylvar02(m): 6:58am On Nov 21, 2013
For we Yoruba! Its bad! Yoruba is made of respect...
Re: Is It Bad To Greet Someone Older Dan U " How Are U " Or "How Are U Doing". by Infomizer(m): 7:00am On Nov 21, 2013
Slap, just like that? U're either exaggerating or hiding something... Well, personally, I don't see the big deal tho', but I know some peeps can be extremely 'cultural' in that sense. But that slap sha!!!!!
Re: Is It Bad To Greet Someone Older Dan U " How Are U " Or "How Are U Doing". by Emmyk(m): 7:01am On Nov 21, 2013
sylvar02: For we Yoruba! Its bad! Yoruba is made of respect...
Spot on. cool
Re: Is It Bad To Greet Someone Older Dan U " How Are U " Or "How Are U Doing". by Infomizer(m): 7:04am On Nov 21, 2013
Na him make us dey 'dobale' even while we're greeting an elder over the phone, ba? grin

"Egbon, ba wo ni" is not bad (to me o!)
Re: Is It Bad To Greet Someone Older Dan U " How Are U " Or "How Are U Doing". by Tolexander: 7:04am On Nov 21, 2013
israel tob: please i need help on this. I don chop early morning slap for this abd i no wan reply the person yet. I dey wait for him broda to come and talk to her. I just dey do good boy, greeted this girl and asked her how are u doing this morning? Meanwhile she is just 2yrs older not even up to 2 self, and d next thing na slap for my dirty face. Hmmmmmmmmm, nkan beeeee.
i'm pretty sure this slap never happened!

There is nothing bad in greeting an elder how are you!

Sometimes, it isn't the content of the words but the accompanying effects and characters shown.

The most 'considered' polite word, ''i'm sorry", can be rude at times considering the kind of character shown by the person saying it.

Guess you are a yoruba boy cos yoruba elders don't take anything respect with levity. Considering you with the way you described the lady telling us she's even not up to 2years older, am pretty sure you said the 'how are you' out of disrespect that warranted the correction.
Re: Is It Bad To Greet Someone Older Dan U " How Are U " Or "How Are U Doing". by Emmyk(m): 7:14am On Nov 21, 2013
Infomizer:
Na him make us dey 'dobale' even while we're greeting an elder over the phone, ba? grin

"Egbon, ba wo ni" is not bad (to me o!)
Remove the "egbon". Just "bawoni" is the disrespectful one. cool
Re: Is It Bad To Greet Someone Older Dan U " How Are U " Or "How Are U Doing". by demelza: 7:17am On Nov 21, 2013
Shikena!
Re: Is It Bad To Greet Someone Older Dan U " How Are U " Or "How Are U Doing". by tmtech: 7:23am On Nov 21, 2013
We still find it difficult to integrate culture and westernization(liberalism)......our culture is not preserved in anyway ,becos it is has an inseparable bond with our traditional religion.....buh, there are still so many specimen of the past in this generation.....our elders only clamour for the propagation of our culture ,then they make little or no attempt to lead by example.......its the culture thing that encourages totalitarialism in which lecturers act like God,politicians,managers jst name it....it all boils down to culture(subservience)......Our elders use culture as a yardstick to siphon our treasury and get away with it.......
@ Op , a lady wouldn't slap u for asking how she is doing, except u asked rudely or there an antecedence.......say the truth and shame d devil grin Goodmorning fellas
Re: Is It Bad To Greet Someone Older Dan U " How Are U " Or "How Are U Doing". by Prowizy2(m): 7:23am On Nov 21, 2013
israel tob: please i need help on this. I don chop early morning slap for this abd i no wan reply the person yet. I dey wait for him broda to come and talk to her. I just dey do good boy, greeted this girl and asked her how are u doing this morning? Meanwhile she is just 2yrs older not even up to 2 self, and d next thing na slap for my dirty face. Hmmmmmmmmm, nkan beeeee.
grin grin grin grin

OP, say the truth
You eyed your aunty
Re: Is It Bad To Greet Someone Older Dan U " How Are U " Or "How Are U Doing". by NadiaSA1(f): 7:36am On Nov 21, 2013
Prowizy2: grin grin grin grin

OP, say the truth
You eyed your aunty
exactly what i was thinking!
Re: Is It Bad To Greet Someone Older Dan U " How Are U " Or "How Are U Doing". by Nobody: 7:41am On Nov 21, 2013
Op, say d truth nd shame d devil!
Re: Is It Bad To Greet Someone Older Dan U " How Are U " Or "How Are U Doing". by israeltob(m): 4:19pm On Nov 21, 2013
embarassedSeriously noooooooo. She is beautiful but i neva tot of dat.

(1) (Reply)

The Mangbetu: The Head Elongation Fashionistas Of Central Africa / Bizzare Form Of Marriage Of A Tribe In Kenya / Every Word In Ancient Hebrew Torah Are in Yoruba words; sample GEN 9 ver 21-24

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.