Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,524 members, 7,770,326 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 09:23 AM

What's Wrong With Asking Someone Older 'how Are You'? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What's Wrong With Asking Someone Older 'how Are You'? (1864 Views)

Is It Bad To Greet Someone Older Dan U " How Are U " Or "How Are U Doing". / What's Wrong With "ghetto" Black Names? / Female Circumcision: what's wrong with it? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's Wrong With Asking Someone Older 'how Are You'? by kingsots(m): 2:53pm On Apr 21, 2013
Hello friends, I want to shear a conversation that ensued between an elderly man and myself this afternoon and I want your candid opinion.

Me: Good afternoon sir
Elderly man: Good day Steve(not real name), hope you are doing fine?
Me: Am doing great sir, how are you too sir......|| Then I got the shocker.
Elderly man: It's wrong to ask an elderly person 'how are you'

Well I haven't heard that before and all I could do out of shock was to smile and say 'ok sir'
So pls I want to know if I was wrong to ask him how he was doing?
Re: What's Wrong With Asking Someone Older 'how Are You'? by Nobody: 2:55pm On Apr 21, 2013
It is wrong! Very wrong!!
Re: What's Wrong With Asking Someone Older 'how Are You'? by Nobody: 3:06pm On Apr 21, 2013
I don't think there's anything wrong with it. There's nothing disrespectful about it and you didn't mean any harm by it.
Maybe you should have put the sir at the end, "How are you, Sir?" instead of just "How are you?".
Re: What's Wrong With Asking Someone Older 'how Are You'? by uboma(m): 3:09pm On Apr 21, 2013
kingsots: Hello friends, I want to shear a conversation that ensued between an elderly man and myself this afternoon and I want your candid opinion.

Me: Good afternoon sir
Elderly man: Good day Steve(not real name), hope you are doing fine?
Me: Am doing great sir, how are you too sir......|| Then I got the shocker.
Elderly man: It's wrong to ask an elderly person 'how are you'

Well I haven't heard that before and all I could do out of shock was to smile and say 'ok sir'
So pls I want to know if I was wrong to ask him how he was doing?

personally, i dont see anything wrong with asking an elder 'how are u' as long as i do so politely
Re: What's Wrong With Asking Someone Older 'how Are You'? by dopeJemi: 3:53pm On Apr 21, 2013
Billyonaire: It is wrong! Very wrong!!

PLs telL me why its wrong.. Nigerians av a very very poor mentaLity, if d man is sick, and dis same boy goes 2 ask him Hau Hez doing, he'd respond by saying 'ah! My son I'm fine, getting better.. Thank you' nau telL me d difference.. Same question by d same person.. Ders nothing wrong in asking ur eLder 'hau are u' and ders another 1.. D 'Goodmorning/afternoon' we say.. Parents think its a sign of respect, and if u don't say it, u r rude and disrespectfuL, very bad mentaLity.. Goodmorning is just phrase/word dat can be said by any1 2 any1, weda by an oLd man 2 a young boy, vice versa
Re: What's Wrong With Asking Someone Older 'how Are You'? by greedie1(f): 7:48pm On Apr 21, 2013
nothing wrong wit it...
Re: What's Wrong With Asking Someone Older 'how Are You'? by kingsots(m): 8:46pm On Apr 21, 2013
Yield: I don't think there's anything wrong with it. There's nothing disrespectful about it and you didn't mean any harm by it.
Maybe you should have put the sir at the end, "How are you, Sir?" instead of just "How are you?".

I used 'sir' at the end. I couldn't have missed it...he is as old as my father.
Re: What's Wrong With Asking Someone Older 'how Are You'? by Nobody: 12:50am On Apr 22, 2013

Really? It's not sufficient to say it's very wrong, you need to state WHY you feel it's wrong.
Re: What's Wrong With Asking Someone Older 'how Are You'? by slimyem: 1:14am On Apr 22, 2013
It isn't wrong.You should have politely asked the man why he thought it wrong...make ot seem like you want to learn from him.cool
Our people and respect-too much wahalaundecided
Re: What's Wrong With Asking Someone Older 'how Are You'? by kingsots(m): 1:44am On Apr 22, 2013
slimyem: It isn't wrong.You should have politely asked the man why he thought it wrong...make ot seem like you want to learn from him.cool
Our people and respect-too much wahalaundecided

I guess that's what I could have done. I was just too shocked to utter anyother word.
Re: What's Wrong With Asking Someone Older 'how Are You'? by Freiburger(m): 11:59am On Apr 22, 2013
Oga Billy tell us wetin wrong for dere na.
Re: What's Wrong With Asking Someone Older 'how Are You'? by Freiburger(m): 12:07pm On Apr 22, 2013
Apart from the age thing, i also found out that how you relpy older people's greetings can also be very offensive to many Nigerians.
For example, i met a Nigerian in his early 50's who asked me quote, '' how are you doing?'' and i answered, quote, '' i'm doing great, and you''? he found my reply very offensive becaused i also asked how he was doing . cheesy
Re: What's Wrong With Asking Someone Older 'how Are You'? by Gudiza(m): 1:15pm On Apr 22, 2013
wink

(1) (Reply)

30 English Words That Has Different Meaning In A Foreign Language / Igbo Groups Of The South South..... The Etche People. / Cartoon Teaches Kids To Count From 1 To 10 In Yoruba

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.