Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,081 members, 7,818,238 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:57 AM

African Traditional-Priest Performs Brain Surgery Without Anaesthesia! (graphic) - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / African Traditional-Priest Performs Brain Surgery Without Anaesthesia! (graphic) (28311 Views)

Anambra Hospital Performs 5 Open Heart Surgeries (Photo) / National Hospital Performs Open Heart Surgery On 12 Patients / Nigeria's Roadside Eye Doctor Performs Operations Under Lagos Bridge. Shocking! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Traditional-Priest Performs Brain Surgery Without Anaesthesia! (graphic) by EvilBrain1(m): 12:44am On Nov 22, 2013
There's nothing particularly impressive about the video. Trepanning or trephination is one of the oldest known surgical operations known. They've found skulls more than 8000 years old in Europe with holes in them and evidence of bone healing, meaning that the subjects survived. For Africans to be celebrating something that Europeans were doing in prehistoric times and have long since abandoned doesn’t exactly paint us in a good light.

Aside from that, as a surgeon, I have some serious objections to the way the procedure is depicted in the video. For one, trepanning is only beneficial in people who have had severe trauma to the head. To do something as drastic as brain surgery for conditions like "simple headache" is totally irresponsible. They even mentioned a person in the video who had had the surgery 13 times!!! There is no excuse for opening any part of the body 13 times, no the talk of opening the skull with no antibiotics and in dirty conditions. If 2 or 3 surgeries are not enough to solve the patient's problem, it's unlikely that more will.

Any doctor that opens someone's skull 13 different times should have his licence taken away for public safety reasons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trepanning

8 Likes

Re: African Traditional-Priest Performs Brain Surgery Without Anaesthesia! (graphic) by Nobody: 12:47am On Nov 22, 2013
Abu Mikey:

Your Father! gringrin

Abu Mikey:

Your Father! gringrin

hes sleeping peacefully. Btw, i so love him. May he reap d fruits of his labour in ten folds!
May he not die now, but live long to enjoy all d goodies of life.
I love u dad, u will live long.
**sobs**
**kisses**
amennnn
sweeet dad!

1 Like

Re: African Traditional-Priest Performs Brain Surgery Without Anaesthesia! (graphic) by Nobody: 1:06am On Nov 22, 2013
Abu Mikey:

Okija juju isn't your Mate! undecided

And do you know me

#TeamGOM
Re: African Traditional-Priest Performs Brain Surgery Without Anaesthesia! (graphic) by optimusprime2(m): 1:38am On Nov 22, 2013
JEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZ KEEEEEEEEEERRRRRYST!!!!
Why on earth did I click play on that Video?? shocked shocked
Why, why, why why why...
Re: African Traditional-Priest Performs Brain Surgery Without Anaesthesia! (graphic) by GooseBaba: 1:51am On Nov 22, 2013
Evil Brain: There's nothing particularly impressive about the video. Trepanning or trephination is one of the oldest known surgical operations known. They've found skulls more than 8000 years old in Europe with holes in them and evidence of bone healing, meaning that the subjects survived. For Africans to be celebrating something that Europeans were doing in prehistoric times and have long since abandoned doesn’t exactly paint us in a good light.

Aside from that, as a surgeon, I have some serious objections to the way the procedure is depicted in the video. For one, trepanning is only beneficial in people who have had severe trauma to the head. To do something as drastic as brain surgery for conditions like "simple headache" is totally irresponsible. They even mentioned a person in the video who had had the surgery 13 times!!! There is no excuse for opening any part of the body 13 times, no the talk of opening the skull with no antibiotics and in dirty conditions. If 2 or 3 surgeries are not enough to solve the patient's problem, it's unlikely that more will.

Any doctor that opens someone's skull 13 different times should have his licence taken away for public safety reasons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trepanning

So for your mind you don talk abi? you are eager to belittle their efforts with present day knowledge of the subject matter. And you don't see the backwards-Ness in your statement.
Re: African Traditional-Priest Performs Brain Surgery Without Anaesthesia! (graphic) by InvertedHammer: 1:56am On Nov 22, 2013
/
I am thinking "local" anaesthetic and analgesics here.

It is still the same thing oyibo dey use...only say dem sabi "packaging"

Incredible feat... I tell you.

/
Re: African Traditional-Priest Performs Brain Surgery Without Anaesthesia! (graphic) by kolidave: 2:00am On Nov 22, 2013
Eeeewwwwwwwwwwww. Damn!!!!!
Re: African Traditional-Priest Performs Brain Surgery Without Anaesthesia! (graphic) by caesaraba(m): 4:07am On Nov 22, 2013
Judging from reactions here, I'm very glad I didn't watch the video.
Re: African Traditional-Priest Performs Brain Surgery Without Anaesthesia! (graphic) by texanomaly(f): 4:36am On Nov 22, 2013
Brain surgery is often done, without anaesthesia, even today. It is sometimes necessary for the patient to be awake, to tell the doctor what he feels when certain stimuli is applied.

It is miraculous that so many survive these types of primitive operations, performed by men with no formal training. One should never discount faith, even in modern times. Maybe especially in modern times.

1 Like

Re: African Traditional-Priest Performs Brain Surgery Without Anaesthesia! (graphic) by Nobody: 4:39am On Nov 22, 2013
Hey. smiley
Your latest diary post. cry
Re: African Traditional-Priest Performs Brain Surgery Without Anaesthesia! (graphic) by texanomaly(f): 4:53am On Nov 22, 2013
aManFromMars: Hey. smiley
Your latest diary post. cry
Yeah. cry
Re: African Traditional-Priest Performs Brain Surgery Without Anaesthesia! (graphic) by joanpinkie(f): 5:44am On Nov 22, 2013
khattab02: lol.. Chei banana ropes!

That surgery must have taken place in BANANA ICELAND. Yuzedo were you there?
Re: African Traditional-Priest Performs Brain Surgery Without Anaesthesia! (graphic) by emmabest2000(m): 6:12am On Nov 22, 2013
Okiki_Oluwa: Our traditional doctors are trying. But oyinbo technology is super.
you have a point there
Re: African Traditional-Priest Performs Brain Surgery Without Anaesthesia! (graphic) by Nobody: 6:28am On Nov 22, 2013
ROSSIKE:

No. The problem is that oafs like you are too busy worshipping at the altar of 'oyinbo' instead of developing and refining your own indigenous medicine to modern standards like they did with theirs. The Chinese are already perfecting their traditional medicine and are now selling it in the same west that you worship.

Did i mention "oyinbo" in my post you paranoid oaf??..must you defend everything simply because they are indigenious??.

Its people like you who will fly out of the country to get better medical care when you have constipation instead of eating right.

I recommend that "isi egbuwa" procedure for you cos you need one badly.

1 Like

Re: African Traditional-Priest Performs Brain Surgery Without Anaesthesia! (graphic) by Nobody: 6:30am On Nov 22, 2013
Myopic individuals everywhere!!!! Damn, angry
Re: African Traditional-Priest Performs Brain Surgery Without Anaesthesia! (graphic) by Nobody: 6:31am On Nov 22, 2013
Aint watching that lipsrsealed
Re: African Traditional-Priest Performs Brain Surgery Without Anaesthesia! (graphic) by Nobody: 6:36am On Nov 22, 2013
The video isn't even new I doubt the old man is still alive.
Re: African Traditional-Priest Performs Brain Surgery Without Anaesthesia! (graphic) by Fulaman198(m): 6:43am On Nov 22, 2013
Victoriousvic: Aint watching that lipsrsealed

I couldn't watch it either, I have weak stomach for such things.
Re: African Traditional-Priest Performs Brain Surgery Without Anaesthesia! (graphic) by chimex38: 7:18am On Nov 22, 2013
berem: Where can I get the contact of the native doctor? I need someone on this forum to perform a brain surgery with immediate effect!
who might dat b?
Re: African Traditional-Priest Performs Brain Surgery Without Anaesthesia! (graphic) by Lanretoye(m): 7:28am On Nov 22, 2013
Amusaopeyemi:

Ki le leyi n nso?

O su mi oo...,maybe he needs an appointment with the witch doc.
Re: African Traditional-Priest Performs Brain Surgery Without Anaesthesia! (graphic) by Nobody: 7:36am On Nov 22, 2013
Lmao and people are hailing this? grin grin grin

Nigerians are so backwards sometimes.... undecided
Re: African Traditional-Priest Performs Brain Surgery Without Anaesthesia! (graphic) by bongila(f): 7:40am On Nov 22, 2013
Holy Smokes!! This is too much too early. Jeez!
Re: African Traditional-Priest Performs Brain Surgery Without Anaesthesia! (graphic) by Lanretoye(m): 7:45am On Nov 22, 2013
joanpinkie:

That surgery must have taken place in BANANA ICELAND. Yuzedo were you there?

Bros u no go leave this man?,una don make am relocate from him banana iceland mansion and now we no knw him whereabouts.
Re: African Traditional-Priest Performs Brain Surgery Without Anaesthesia! (graphic) by dollydolly(f): 8:23am On Nov 22, 2013
Hmmm... I think we should atleast give credit to him cos he truly deserves one. Come to think of it, he had no formal education but was able to put up that feat. N for the scar, I don't think the affected care cos to them who can't afford the modernized surgery it is better to have a scar and be concious of it than to die.

1 Like

Re: African Traditional-Priest Performs Brain Surgery Without Anaesthesia! (graphic) by lastmessenger: 8:26am On Nov 22, 2013
@Op next time allow the native doctor to carryout operation on your brain and see how easy it is to die.by then i can only say RIP to you.
Re: African Traditional-Priest Performs Brain Surgery Without Anaesthesia! (graphic) by kolidave: 8:33am On Nov 22, 2013
dolly dolly: Hmmm... I think we should atleast give credit to him cos he truly deserves one. Come to think of it, he had no formal education but was able to put up that feat. N for the scar, I don't think the affected care cos to them who can't afford the modernized surgery it is better to have a scar and be concious of it than to die.
that scar ehn.... Oboi!!!!! Na to dey wear wig ooooo. The scar con be like the tattoo wey dey Avatar head
Re: African Traditional-Priest Performs Brain Surgery Without Anaesthesia! (graphic) by akraym(m): 8:35am On Nov 22, 2013
oyb: Ignorance is bad and in these days of google its a freaking shame. . . There are no pain centres in the brain. That's the real reason for no anaesthetic Google lobotomies where the frontal lobes of concious patients were stabbed with ice picks or just watch the last 30 minutes of hannibal
what is this one saying [WITOS]
Re: African Traditional-Priest Performs Brain Surgery Without Anaesthesia! (graphic) by lomprico(m): 9:02am On Nov 22, 2013
HOLY KWAKOMOLLY!! DAME!
Really sick sh1t shocked

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How Pawpaw Can Cure Stomach Ulcer. / Nursing Mum Discovers Methylated Spirit In A Vitamins Syrup She Bought In Imo / She Switched Her A.c On Always..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.