Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,221 members, 7,953,824 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 07:22 AM

Spare The Rod And Spoil The Child. Do You Agree? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Spare The Rod And Spoil The Child. Do You Agree? (3118 Views)

Spare The Rod - Spoil The Child / Spare The Rod, Spoil The Child. do you agree? / Parents: Is It Time To Spare The Rod? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Spare The Rod And Spoil The Child. Do You Agree? by huxley(m): 8:52pm On Jul 20, 2008
Do you physically punish your children as a method of correction, as recommended in the following OT passages?

Prov 13:24: "He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes (diligently)."
Prov 19:18: "Chasten thy son while there is hope, and let not thy soul spare for his crying."
Prov 22:15: "Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child; but the rod of correction shall drive it far from him."
Prov 23:13: "Withhold not correction from the child: for if thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die."
Prov 23:14: "Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell (Shoel)."
Prov 29:15: "The rod and reproof give wisdom: but a child left to himself bringeth his mother to shame."
Re: Spare The Rod And Spoil The Child. Do You Agree? by HCH3COO: 8:53pm On Jul 20, 2008
huxley:

Do you physically punish your children as a method of correction?
YES
as recommended in the following OT passages?
NO
Re: Spare The Rod And Spoil The Child. Do You Agree? by shuppie(f): 8:55pm On Jul 20, 2008
i believe in punishment, routine and structure,
Re: Spare The Rod And Spoil The Child. Do You Agree? by huxley(m): 11:24pm On Jul 20, 2008
shuppie:

i believe in punishment, routine and structure,

What constitute punishment to you? Did you mean physically hurting a child with a smack from your hand, a belt, a piece of wood, or metal?
Re: Spare The Rod And Spoil The Child. Do You Agree? by HCH3COO: 11:26pm On Jul 20, 2008
huxley:

Did you mean physically disciplining a child with the possibility of a smack from your hand, a belt, a piece of wood, or metal?

YES.
Re: Spare The Rod And Spoil The Child. Do You Agree? by Nobody: 5:29am On Jul 21, 2008
No, spare the rod and what? No!!

I find ways to punish my siblings when they misbehave. By giving them naija Punishment (kneeing down raising hand, spanking, etc) or I just give them house chores to do.
At first, they were like, I can't do it. By force by fire they learned o, they learned.
Every night, they knew their routines before I tell them. If garbage is full, one of them changes it.
I was a strict substitute-mother.
But I learned that being strict all the time won't help. Sit down with them and talk to them, learn to understand what is in their lil mind.
Don't just go angry and screaming at them, they'll make them more rebellious undecided

If I hadn't taught them any of this discipline and house chores, I'd have left my mom with spoilt children. grin
Re: Spare The Rod And Spoil The Child. Do You Agree? by iice(f): 4:27pm On Jul 21, 2008
Some need spanking, others need talking
The thing is to know when to do which and who to do it to.
Re: Spare The Rod And Spoil The Child. Do You Agree? by ifyalways(f): 5:47pm On Jul 21, 2008
iice:

Some need spanking, others need talking
The thing is to know when to do which and who to do it to.

i agree with this
Re: Spare The Rod And Spoil The Child. Do You Agree? by Gamine(f): 6:23pm On Jul 21, 2008
i was physically punished and verbally spanked.

What worked for me then, cane!.

and as iice said, one has to understand the kids

to know the right kinda punishment
Re: Spare The Rod And Spoil The Child. Do You Agree? by Nobody: 10:30pm On Jul 21, 2008
i will have a fighting room in my house when i start havng kids. u can't take chances with these kids. make sure a few eyes are bruised and a couple of teeth are displaced or better still knocked out.

my dad only beat us ones. we never ever misbehaved around the guy till we got older. my mother never missed buy buying or plucking a a cane/stick on her way from the market or where-ever.

my uncle's did not beat nor shout at us but the u'd beg to have ur wrist slit when talk to u
Re: Spare The Rod And Spoil The Child. Do You Agree? by ifyalways(f): 4:04pm On Jul 22, 2008
@Omo ibo fighting room?lmao
it better be a joke cheesy
Re: Spare The Rod And Spoil The Child. Do You Agree? by shylladear(f): 4:44pm On Jul 22, 2008
surely i will have a dark room in my house when i get married 4 purnishment (kids) grin lipsrsealed
Re: Spare The Rod And Spoil The Child. Do You Agree? by Caliente(m): 7:08pm On Jul 22, 2008
[size=13pt]Why should I spare the rod? But that doesn't mean you use the rod all the time. I remember when my auntie whooped the shit out me after my pest-like activities drastically reduced the market value of her mouth watering stock fish. After that day, I never got near stock fish. Bring it to me now and I'll flee for my dear life cheesy cheesy[/size]
Re: Spare The Rod And Spoil The Child. Do You Agree? by abujabooks(f): 3:06pm On Jul 23, 2008
I agree.
Re: Spare The Rod And Spoil The Child. Do You Agree? by huxley(m): 5:28pm On Jul 23, 2008
I shall have to go really mad before I would put hit my children in anyway. From a very early age, I have taught my older son to reason things out and he is making great strides at become a good critical thinker. He is showing great signs at reading people's emotions too. Each time I point to him that a certain behaviour is unwelcome, he understands it immediately and never does that again. My philosophy is to try and arrive at decision with his full participation in the thinking behind the decision. I never drop it until he shows sign that he has really understood what I mean.

I very rarely shout at him. On the rare occasions that I do, I make sure that I later apologise. If I don't apologise in time, he will come and ask that I apologise, which I am ever so please to do.

I see a lot of parents shout at their kids, call them a sorts of names, treating them like they are non-human. If you treat a child/children like this is it a surprise that at some point only the rod seems like a solution?

It is sign of parental failure when the rod becomes a solution. It means you would have neglected you duties as a parent at the earlier ages of your child.
Re: Spare The Rod And Spoil The Child. Do You Agree? by lucabrasi(m): 5:48pm On Jul 23, 2008
@poster
yes but within limits,GOD did say spare the rod not spare the koboko with ten mouths or spare the punch in the ribs or spare the humongous leather belt or at times buckle and spoil the child

(1) (Reply)

Lord! WHY DO Black People Have So Much Kids For? / What Can A Man Do In This Situation? / Mouth Action In Marriage. Is It Proper?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.