Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,238 members, 7,822,224 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 08:39 AM

Causes And Treatment Of Body Odour - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Causes And Treatment Of Body Odour (30738 Views)

Erectile Dysfunction: Causes And Solutions / Body Odour Awareness And Prevention.. Its No Longer Funny This Days!!! / Piles (haemorrhoids) – Basics, Symptoms And Treatment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Causes And Treatment Of Body Odour by Mobsync(m): 3:33pm On Nov 23, 2013
What is body odour?

Body odour, also known as bromhidrosis, osmidrosis or ozochrotia is an unpleasant smell given off when bacteria on the human skin break down protein in sweat into acid.

Causes of body odour

Body odour can be caused by;

*High rate of perspiration (sweating) as people who sweat more are bound to have it.

*Obesity with obese people more likely to have it.

*Hairy armpits and privates.

*Wearing of (wet) socks and/or shoes which causes moist air to become trapped in the feet.

*Excessive consumption spices of spicy foods.

*Consumption of foods with strong odour e.g; garlic and onions.

*Medical conditions like diabetes, liver disease and kidney disease.

Treatment of body odour.

(1) Always keep the armpits and privates clean and well-shaved: Shave all those hair off your armpits and privates and wash with anti-bacterial soap and warm water.

(2) Bathe regularly: The action of warm water on the skin kills bacteria, so ensure you bathe at least twice daily and up to thrice on hot days.

You should also ensure you use very clean dry towels after bathing as bacteria doesn't thrive well on dry skin.

(3) Always wear clean clothes: Change your clothes daily (no matter how clean they are). Wash them thoroughly; allow them to dry properly; iron them (as the heat kills any bacteria left) and finally, store them in a dry environment.

Also clothes made of natural fibres like cotton, wool and silk are good for people with body odour as they help the skin breathe.

(4) Avoid fatty, oily, fried and (fast) foods which contain alot of additives and preservatives as these chemicals leave the body through the sweat pores.

(5) Use deodorants and antiperspirants: Deodorants make the skin more acidic thus making bacteria have difficulty surviving on it while antiperspirants stop the sweat pores from producing sweat.

(6) Surgery: Surgery is usually recommended for cases of severe body odour. It involves removing a small area of skin from the armpit and the tissue just below it so as to get rid of the sweat glands there.

(7) Botulinum toxin: For those of us who don't know, botulinum toxin is the most poisonous biological substance known to man.
Nevertheless, it is very effective in treating excessive sweating temporarily for about 4-9 months. Should you choose this procedure, you should consult a skilled dermatologist who would inject small measures of the toxin into multiple sites in the skin at the apex of the armpit. And before you start getting any ideas about buying the toxin somewhere and applying it yourself so as to avoid paying the doctor's fees, I would
advice you to read the first line over again.

SOURCE

Click for how to cure hiccups

Click for natural remedies for pimples

10 Likes

Re: Causes And Treatment Of Body Odour by InsaneTamie(m): 5:00pm On Nov 23, 2013
First to comment..*skelewu thingz.. By the way, thanks for the tip.

1 Like

Re: Causes And Treatment Of Body Odour by Alikaxon(m): 5:28pm On Nov 23, 2013
InsaneTamie: First to comment..*skelewu thingz.. By the way, thanks for the tip.
It's by contributing to the topic, and not by shouting "first to commen" even when u commented nothing. To the topic, There are some body odour that are natural and as such stubburn or resistant to some of these solution. A case were the body odour started from child birth, there might be no solution. Maybe it could only be prevented from birth, like; thorough bathing of the new born baby. The natural one can be difficult to treat, but the "man caused" As I'll rather call it is more receptive to treatment, If positive changes are made. Cheers!!!

5 Likes

Re: Causes And Treatment Of Body Odour by InsaneTamie(m): 5:57pm On Nov 23, 2013
Alikaxon: It's by contributing to the topic, and not by shouting "first to commen" even when u commented nothing. To the topic, There are some body odour that are natural and as such stubburn or resistant to some of these solution. A case were the body odour started from child birth, there might be no solution. Maybe it could only be prevented from birth, like; thorough bathing of the new born baby.
Sorry for being childish, B T W, The most popular kinda body odour is the one caused by sweat..yucks, one has to stylishly back away from them.
Re: Causes And Treatment Of Body Odour by adexsimply(m): 9:32pm On Nov 23, 2013
what if someone smells like a goat? I mean the male goat, how can you treat that?

7 Likes

Re: Causes And Treatment Of Body Odour by Nobody: 9:33pm On Nov 23, 2013
I thought sometn like this was on fp not too long ago? Na so NL'ders get body odour? Abi na d mods?

7 Likes

Re: Causes And Treatment Of Body Odour by mcdokwe(m): 9:34pm On Nov 23, 2013
handy
Re: Causes And Treatment Of Body Odour by anselm791(m): 9:35pm On Nov 23, 2013
In one sentence, body odour equals dirtiness and treatment is good hygiene. Shikena!

3 Likes

Re: Causes And Treatment Of Body Odour by chymystique(f): 9:36pm On Nov 23, 2013
Body Odour, Mouth Odour a biG Turn-Off for me!!! lipsrsealed

@ op, doz dt work for those that their own Body Odour smells lik ABONIKI balm?? lipsrsealed undecided .. Cos I wanna recommend dis for someone

2 Likes

Re: Causes And Treatment Of Body Odour by ItsUncleDee(m): 9:36pm On Nov 23, 2013
U n ya family shal neva witness any form of body odour in jesus name...ha mouth odour no go b ya portion o

1 Like

Re: Causes And Treatment Of Body Odour by duni04(m): 9:36pm On Nov 23, 2013
adexsimply: what if someone smells like a goat? I mean the male goat, how can you treat that?
Ar u asking for urself or somebody?

11 Likes

Re: Causes And Treatment Of Body Odour by imsuboi(m): 9:38pm On Nov 23, 2013
ItsUncleDee: U n ya family shal neva witness any form of body odour in jesus name...ha mouth odour no go b ya portion o

you well? undecided

chymystique: Body Odour, Mouth Odour a biG Turn-Off for me!!! lipsrsealed

@ op, doz dt work for those that their own Body Odour smells lik ABONIKI balm?? lipsrsealed undecided .. Cos I wanna recommend dis for someone

LoL. grin

1 Like

Re: Causes And Treatment Of Body Odour by adexsimply(m): 9:38pm On Nov 23, 2013
duni04:
Ar u asking for urself or somebody?
does it matter?

5 Likes

Re: Causes And Treatment Of Body Odour by ayobase(m): 9:38pm On Nov 23, 2013
Body odour is just like cancer, HIV and the likes of terminal diseases.

Na only those who get money fit maintain am..simple!

Just make sure that ur new born baby is instantly bathed thoroughly after birth......some body odour na die (the GIDI GANs)....You go even dey SEE the odour under those perfumes worn!

1 Like

Re: Causes And Treatment Of Body Odour by Adex097: 9:39pm On Nov 23, 2013

Hmmm...this thread stinks. undecided
*runs outta thread*

5 Likes

Re: Causes And Treatment Of Body Odour by bebe2(f): 9:40pm On Nov 23, 2013
undecided
this is very serious, pple dnt seem to know they have it

most pple in naija have it, i think its the consistent heat.

1 Like

Re: Causes And Treatment Of Body Odour by adexsimply(m): 9:41pm On Nov 23, 2013
bebe2: undecided
you get body odour ? undecided

2 Likes

Re: Causes And Treatment Of Body Odour by Awelechukwu16(f): 9:42pm On Nov 23, 2013
thanks op
Re: Causes And Treatment Of Body Odour by Nobody: 9:43pm On Nov 23, 2013
Booked! Brb!
Re: Causes And Treatment Of Body Odour by Adex097: 9:43pm On Nov 23, 2013
Awelechukwu16: thanks op
ehya embarassed

3 Likes

Re: Causes And Treatment Of Body Odour by Nobody: 9:46pm On Nov 23, 2013
Dnt just thank op, tell us if u have body odour! #period!

1 Like

Re: Causes And Treatment Of Body Odour by Nobody: 9:48pm On Nov 23, 2013
Omoh see gobe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! grin grin grin grin grin Who dey smell for here
Re: Causes And Treatment Of Body Odour by godman01(m): 9:51pm On Nov 23, 2013
Bathe, Cream and apply Perfume.
Re: Causes And Treatment Of Body Odour by mu2sa2: 9:51pm On Nov 23, 2013
Human sweat is odourless. That is, your sweat is absolutely without any smell. The sweaty odour results when sweat mixes with the excretion of bacteria on your skin (everyone has bacteria on the skin). So if u want to stop body odour control bacteria on skin especially the armpits. Simply dab antiseptic on your armpits using cotton balls and wash with soap - repeat morning & evening. That will control bacteria and when u sweat there will be no odour. Sweating is natural; it's body odour that's embarrassing. So allow your body to sweat but eliminate the odour-never use antipersperant.

10 Likes

Re: Causes And Treatment Of Body Odour by omanifrank(m): 9:52pm On Nov 23, 2013
hm
Re: Causes And Treatment Of Body Odour by sylvar02(m): 9:52pm On Nov 23, 2013
I'm here too!!!

1 Like

Re: Causes And Treatment Of Body Odour by lyfe(m): 9:53pm On Nov 23, 2013
ayobase: Body odour is just like cancer, HIV and the likes of terminal diseases.

Na only those who get money fit maintain am..simple!

Just make sure that ur new born baby is instantly bathed thoroughly after birth......some body odour na die (the GIDI GANs)....You go even dey SEE the odour under those perfumes worn!

Is that really true? I heard if new born babies don't get bathed on time they develop a lifetime body odor. I know some peeps who are like this, you can smell them from miles away.

1 Like

Re: Causes And Treatment Of Body Odour by veave(f): 9:55pm On Nov 23, 2013
for cleaner and fresher body smell, rub lime juice on ur armpit before bathing 3 to 4 times weekly...

2 Likes

Re: Causes And Treatment Of Body Odour by sylvar02(m): 9:56pm On Nov 23, 2013
lyfe:

Is that really true? I heard if new born babies don't get bathed on time they develop a lifetime body odor. I know some peeps who are like this, you can smell them from miles away.

Haba

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

My Son Has Chickenpox. What Must Have Caused It? / Coronavirus: Northern Nigeria At High Risk — Gates Foundation / Boy, 13, Has No Reproductive Organs (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.