Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,084 members, 7,821,744 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:44 PM

What Is The Precept Of Yoruba History? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Is The Precept Of Yoruba History? (2564 Views)

List Of Yoruba Dialects / Ooni Of Ife Warns Against Distortion Of Yoruba History / Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Precept Of Yoruba History? by ladionline: 4:02pm On Nov 24, 2013
There is an unrelenting efforts by some of us to redefine Yoruba history by our new found penchant for biology and 'oyinbo-precepts.' Some hunt down every salient point that is at variant with their sense of perception. Advance Biology has left the classroom for nairaland these days. Yoruba precept is valid for Yoruba history, we don't need Darwin. What is Yoruba precept of origin? It is the perspective of Yoruba on their origin in pristin form, not when it has mixed up with any revisionists or 'politico' AGENDA.

How do we go? Linguistic records please. Keep your fossils for now. The Yoruba for their earliest time is 'nigba lai-lai': what does this mean? Then, Laye ati-jo, L'aye-igba-ani, and 'Nigba iwa se.' We can make up whatever opinion that cross our mind as history, but the facts embedded in Yoruba language elude the ambitious. Of course, only a fool concocts: he has nothing to lose nor gain, but wise folks will instruct many. The word nigba iwa se is the traditional intro to Yoruba history.
Re: What Is The Precept Of Yoruba History? by macof(m): 4:47pm On Nov 25, 2013
so share ur own views
Re: What Is The Precept Of Yoruba History? by MetaPhysical: 6:14pm On Nov 25, 2013
Lmao..here we go, another length back and forth on Yoruba. Nairaland does not have enough space for us to share what we know without appearing unknowledgable.
Re: What Is The Precept Of Yoruba History? by MetaPhysical: 6:21pm On Nov 25, 2013
ladionline: There is an unrelenting efforts by some of us to redefine Yoruba history by our new found penchant for biology and 'oyinbo-precepts.' Some hunt down every salient point that is at variant with their sense of perception. Advance Biology has left the classroom for nairaland these days. Yoruba precept is valid for Yoruba history, we don't need Darwin. What is Yoruba precept of origin? It is the paspective of Yoruba on their origin in pristin form, not when it has mixed up with any revisionists or 'politico' AGENDA. How do we go? Linguistic records please. Keep your fossils for now. The Yoruba for their earliest time is 'nigba lai-lai': what does this mean? Then, Laye ati-jo, L'aye-igba-ani, and 'Nigba iwa se.' We can make up whatever opinion that cross our mind as history, but the facts embeded in Yoruba language elude the ambitious. Of course, only a fool concorts: he has nothing to lose nor gain, but wise folks will instruct many. The word nigba iwa se is the traditional intro to Yoruba history.

Ladi, I agree with you, you are on point!

Lets start from when IWA was founded or manifested.

Some say Oduduwa was Odu to da IWA. So then what is IWA?

Im open to learn from you Yoruba linguists and scholars out here.
Re: What Is The Precept Of Yoruba History? by ladionline: 10:35pm On Nov 25, 2013
If you are to enjoy this thread, learn to live macos alone to keep spreading his confusions. He seems intellectually challenged the way he goes about peddling crazy, mundane and repetitive history. He has a new one on how Yoruba ancestors evolve from ape-like creature. What an aberation in the name of freedom of speech. He has red rag, 'Oduduwa', 'ile-ife', God. Mention any of such or worst 'Yoruba', then he will turn out, to twist you out of tune. He is incapable of his own ideas. Yet he wanted to arrogate 'Yoruba authority' to himself. He left blank comment above because he scan through for his red-rag but there is nothing to twist. I'm avoiding his red rag. His logic often make me sickwink
Re: What Is The Precept Of Yoruba History? by Nobody: 11:13pm On Nov 25, 2013
Yoruba history will never be complete without archaeological evidence(s) of the migration waves of the people, from their original habitats, to present day Nigeria.
Re: What Is The Precept Of Yoruba History? by ladionline: 11:25pm On Nov 25, 2013
MetaPhysical:

Ladi, I agree with you, you are on point!

Lets start from when IWA was founded or manifested.

Some say Oduduwa was Odu to da IWA. So then what is IWA?

Im open to learn from you Yoruba linguists and scholars out here.
As for me, odu to da iwa is meant for the Creator, 'Eleduwa', meaning 'one who struggle to sustain existence'. IWA is existence. But nigba iwase is Yoruba for 'the time of coming to originate.' The Yoruba came from somewhere in search (iwa) of a place to lay a foundation (se). Yoruba ancestors were 'empire builders'.
Re: What Is The Precept Of Yoruba History? by ladionline: 11:39pm On Nov 25, 2013
shymexx: Yoruba history will never be complete without archaeological evidence(s) of the migration waves of the people, from their original habitats, to present day Nigeria.

Thats why we are seeking the source. I posted a reply to you earlier, it failed. Idu mo ta means 'idu versatile marketer'. It is the same thing with idu ganran. Iganran is Ijebu for Ata. However, mainstream Yoruba preserve the variant Aganran.
Re: What Is The Precept Of Yoruba History? by macof(m): 9:46am On Nov 26, 2013
ladionline: If you are to enjoy this thread, learn to live macos alone to keep spreading his confusions. He seems intellectually challenged the way he goes about peddling crazy, mundane and repetitive history. He has a new one on how Yoruba ancestors evolve from ape-like creature. What an aberation in the name of freedom of speech. He has red rag, 'Oduduwa', 'ile-ife', God. Mention any of such or worst 'Yoruba', then he will turn out, to twist you out of tune. He is incapable of his own ideas. Yet he wanted to arrogate 'Yoruba authority' to himself. He left blank comment above because he scan through for his red-rag but there is nothing to twist. I'm avoiding his red rag. His logic often make me sickwink

I have my views u have urs

I still haven't seen anything to convince me dat Ife is not Yoruba origin.

And are u saying evolution is false?.or at least not like Darwin stated?
Re: What Is The Precept Of Yoruba History? by ladionline: 11:32am On Nov 26, 2013
macof:

I have my views u have urs

I still haven't seen anything to convince me dat Ife is not Yoruba origin.

And are u saying evolution is false?.or at least not like Darwin stated?

Well macof, my problem is that you need to be patient and not to assume the status of an all knowing sage. If you do that, we would have no peace. You love Darwin and you don't tolerate other views. I don't believe Yoruba ancestors originated at Ile Ife, simple. Yoruba ancestors are not subjective to Ife, Ife is subjective to Yoruba ancestors.

I don't buy into the "me-too" traditions that people parrot about as History, Yoruba land exist before the ancestors came to discover it, yes, they choose Ife to be capital, agreed, but they build many other places even before a choice of capital. We even have Idofe (ife camp) and Olofe, (people that went to Ife) in my community, so why should I make my community compulsorily come from Ife to be in accord with Yoruba?

A lot of places came to be at the same time as Ife, and this places were established by the Yoruba empire builders that establish Ile Ife. Oduduwa visit and dedicated such places, and they may not even be relevant today in Yoruba history. The founders of Yoruba were explorers, okay?

Charles Darwin

I am saying I know more than Charles Darwin. I am living in the christian consciousness of being more than "conquerors of God" for instance. Knowledge is dynamic. Some future scientific discovery still elude us that may stupefy evolution, live in such consciousness and be careful of building your superstructure on contentious theories.

Not only that evolution is wrong, I know more than Charles Darwin as to my ancestors, so i know what he does not know as to the black man and a group of Africans. I am not being inspired by evolution for traditional stories that requires simple traditional approach, or competing for his theory. I am not a paleontologist or Darwinian, i am a traditionalist or creationist like my ancestors before me.

I do not need to depend on Evolution that Darwin used to answer Compte De Gobineau on his own theory of Aryan nation that he became celebrated for, for my own ancestors or for my ancient family roots. I don't see Yoruba history as a mimic for Saxon and Normans or William Norman conquer Saxony, and so, Oduduwa conquered aborigines of Ife. But I don't stop you from that.

My perspectives can be impossible for you to swallow, but for me, knowledge beats knowledge over time, find your own knowledge and take pride in it, why must you stick to the past? Why waste time interpreting Yoruba history from Charles Darwin theory? If you continue on such tempo, you will end up with "the descent of Yoruba", which is similar to Charles Darwin's descent of man. Please be unique.

Meanwhile, I don't go about reading books to sound academical, and come back to be ascetic to traditional, fixed oral data as myth, no, I am to ferret fact from sophisticated Yoruba traditions like these, which can only help me to become sophisticated too. I am talking about Yoruba tradition and sifting valuable precept from their cryptic givings, and not my own ideas, so I can use this to order my steps in view of my ancestry.

I do not expect you to believe me, I am to be believed in the distance future.
Perhaps by our children, but you can be believed now.
Re: What Is The Precept Of Yoruba History? by macof(m): 2:15pm On Nov 26, 2013
^^^I don't assume I know all, No one can know all.

And Darwin's Theory of Evolution can be flawed but it is definitely the most logical of reasoning.
You think When I talk about Evolution from ape-like ancestors I mean Monkeys or Orangutans?

Humans aka Homo sapiens are primates like Apes

And the human mentality has changed over the centuries. We were more ape than human 100,000yrs ago.

To claim u know more than Darwin is to be hypocritical because u accuse me of claiming I know all.

Wat explanation have you to human existence? And u talk about knowing more than Darwin.

You are the one claiming to know all here and not me.

You debunk everybody's posts but don't have anything to offer.
Re: What Is The Precept Of Yoruba History? by macof(m): 2:28pm On Nov 26, 2013
ladionline:

Well macof, my problem is that you need to be patient and not to assume the status of an all knowing sage. If you do that, we would have no peace. You love Darwin and you don't tolerate other views. I don't believe Yoruba ancestors originated at Ile Ife, simple. Yoruba ancestors are not subjective to Ife, Ife is subjective to Yoruba ancestors.

I don't buy into the "me-too" traditions that people parrot about as History, Yoruba land exist before the ancestors came to discover it, yes, they choose Ife to be capital, agreed, but they build many other places even before a choice of capital. We even have Idofe (ife camp) and Olofe, (people that went to Ife) in my community, so why should I make my community compulsorily come from Ife to be in accord with Yoruba?

A lot of places came to be at the same time as Ife, and this places were established by the Yoruba empire builders that establish Ile Ife. Oduduwa visit and dedicated such places, and they may not even be relevant today in Yoruba history. The founders of Yoruba were explorers, okay?

Charles Darwin

I am saying I know more than Charles Darwin. I am living in the christian consciousness of being more than "conquerors of God" for instance. Knowledge is dynamic. Some future scientific discovery still elude us that may stupefy evolution, live in such consciousness and be careful of building your superstructure on contentious theories.

Not only that evolution is wrong, I know more than Charles Darwin as to my ancestors, so i know what he does not know as to the black man and a group of Africans. I am not being inspired by evolution for traditional stories that requires simple traditional approach, or competing for his theory. I am not a paleontologist or Darwinian, i am a traditionalist or creationist like my ancestors before me.

I do not need to depend on Evolution that Darwin used to answer Compte De Gobineau on his own theory of Aryan nation that he became celebrated for, for my own ancestors or for my ancient family roots. I don't see Yoruba history as a mimic for Saxon and Normans or William Norman conquer Saxony, and so, Oduduwa conquered aborigines of Ife. But I don't stop you from that.

My perspectives can be impossible for you to swallow, but for me, knowledge beats knowledge over time, find your own knowledge and take pride in it, why must you stick to the past? Why waste time interpreting Yoruba history from Charles Darwin theory? If you continue on such tempo, you will end up with "the descent of Yoruba", which is similar to Charles Darwin's descent of man. Please be unique.

Meanwhile, I don't go about reading books to sound academical, and come back to be ascetic to traditional, fixed oral data as myth, no, I am to ferret fact from sophisticated Yoruba traditions like these, which can only help me to become sophisticated too. I am talking about Yoruba tradition and sifting valuable precept from their cryptic givings, and not my own ideas, so I can use this to order my steps in view of my ancestry.

I do not expect you to believe me, I am to be believed in the distance future.
Perhaps by our children, but you can be believed now.
Re: What Is The Precept Of Yoruba History? by ladionline: 12:10pm On Nov 27, 2013
The Yoruba for their earliest time is 'nigba lai-lai':

What does this mean?

Then, Laye ati-jo,

L'aye-igba-ani,

and 'Nigba iwa se.'

We can make up whatever opinion that cross our mind as history, but the facts embedded in Yoruba language elude the ambitious. Of course, only a fool concocts: he has nothing to lose nor gain, but wise folks will instruct many.

The word Nigba iwa se is the traditional intro to Yoruba history.
Re: What Is The Precept Of Yoruba History? by ladionline: 12:13pm On Nov 27, 2013
Nigba Lailai is a contraption of Nigba (ti) Alaye lo Aye, meaning "during the epoch of Alaye", the one after which the Yoruba land is seldom call "Ile Aye"

Laye Atijo means, NI(gba) Aye ati Ijo.Meaning, in the days of Aye and her kinds.

Laye Igba Ani as "in the days of Ani". Now we have this and it has to do with Ido Ani. Ani is now in the mix. What does Ani means? Well linguistically, it means "one that owns".
Re: What Is The Precept Of Yoruba History? by ladionline: 12:15pm On Nov 27, 2013
macof: ^^^I don't assume I know all, No one can know all.

And Darwin's Theory of Evolution can be flawed but it is definitely the most logical of reasoning.
You think When I talk about Evolution from ape-like ancestors I mean Monkeys or Orangutans?

Humans aka Homo sapiens are primates like Apes

And the human mentality has changed over the centuries. We were more ape than human 10,000yrs ago.

To claim u know more than Darwin is to be hypocritical because u accuse me of claiming I know all.

Wat explanation have you to human existence? And u talk about knowing more than Darwin.

You are the one claiming to know all here and not me.

You debunk everybody's posts but don't have anything to offer.

thanks for the response, I have shared my self concept with you and you have shared yours, i don't do tirades, no not anymore. I am not here to argue evolution, I was not thought HISTORY by BIOLOGY master in secondary school, so i don't mix up the two wherever I go. but I can tell you, just as you have found Homo-erectus and Homo sapiens, you will soon find Homo Neanderthals in Yoruba and find somewhere to spot this, divide and rule politics. This is just "colo-mentality" in the name of history.

You are free to go about spreading your confusions. But I can tell you I know what you are doing, you want to use Yoruba history to validate your atheism, but Yoruba tradition does not go in synch with this, it invokes Olodumare which is "Benevolent God" or "Supreme Deity" right from inception.

Its either you hold to Yoruba history as Yoruba history, or your Version of Yoruba history is in the offing. I will love to read the story of "'bottomless time" of yours, I may not be alive when another wefolution will happen and chimps will work side by side with angels.

I don't know all, but what I know, I know, I know. No apology if you read me for your manipulations, but I only share my "self conception" that I don't follow science fantasy, I find ways to follow fantastic science, which can come from the little I know. A lifetime is too small to live the theory of others when its all I have to find and perfect my own fantastic facts that I can be remembered for, rather than get hooked defending the theory of another man as if he was God.
Re: What Is The Precept Of Yoruba History? by ladionline: 3:57pm On Dec 01, 2013
Another great pointer to Yoruba origin in Yoruba vocabulary is "ipinlese". People often pronounce this as 'ipi-lese', meaning 'origin'. But the formal is what implies 'dividing the land to establish' My folks would say 'ipinlese l'Oba' that is, kings divide (Yorubaland) to establish their stead at inception. I believe my community, Ado have a lot to contribute to body corpus of Yoruba history, just like any place in ancient Yoruba. Granted, Yoruba inception began with land sharing kings and their followers.
Re: What Is The Precept Of Yoruba History? by ladionline: 4:17pm On Dec 01, 2013
Thus, Yorubaland was settled by folks that were dispersed from their formal residence. The Yoruba ancestors were courageous and hardworking lot to have come this far. In fact the saying partaining to this is 'omode gbon agba gbon, lafi dale ife' Dale Ife could mean, 'establish Ife' or 'came to the end of the expanse'. The end of the expanse is where the landmass culminated at the sea.
Re: What Is The Precept Of Yoruba History? by macof(m): 9:45pm On Dec 01, 2013
I am not trying to spread confusion.

I have studied Yoruba origin to an extent that all I see are assumptions and false claims based on sentiments and hidden agenda

I am not atheist, I am a fan of science and practice Yoruba spirituality.

So if u have a problem with evolution you simply say it, you are very controversial individual and you hold no important points in Yoruba history, all u do is post to hail or condemn u have nothing to offer.

I'll keep following the thread and see wat u have, but of course as usually it's jst silliness and Itk mentality u have shown so far
Re: What Is The Precept Of Yoruba History? by ladionline: 11:27pm On Dec 01, 2013
macof: I am not trying to spread confusion.

I have studied Yoruba origin to an extent that all I see are assumptions and false claims based on sentiments and hidden agenda

I am not atheist, I am a fan of science and practice Yoruba spirituality.

So if u have a problem with evolution you simply say it, you are very controversial individual and you hold no important points in Yoruba history, all u do is post to hail or condemn u have nothing to offer.

I'll keep following the thread and see wat u have, but of course as usually it's jst silliness and Itk mentality u have shown so far
Oh my macof, bravo! You have just stated the very obvious about me. That's what Ido, so much like you! However, I don't change my standards quite often: I don't claim atheism today and deny it tomorrow. And i don't have your kind of free spirit, to choose whatever I'm confortable with, it might be stale, but it is what my data provides that I use. Thanks for your timewink
Re: What Is The Precept Of Yoruba History? by macof(m): 11:41pm On Dec 01, 2013
ladionline: Oh my macof, bravo! You have just stated the very obvious about me. That's what Ido, so much like you! However, I don't change my standards quite often: I don't claim atheism today and deny it tomorrow. And i don't have your kind of free spirit, to choose whatever I'm confortable with, it might be stale, but it is what my data provides that I use. Thanks for your timewink

Where have I ever claimed atheism? undecided assumptions again like usually.

I do wat ever I am comfortable with but when it comes to uncertain history u don't base on assumptions.

there's no evidence of any outside Ile-Ife origin, even the Ijebu who have their latest mass migration from waddai were exposed to Ile-Ife culture on their rest there before joining other aborigines and mixing together in present day Ijebu.
Re: What Is The Precept Of Yoruba History? by ladionline: 12:42am On Dec 02, 2013
macof:

I do wat ever I am comfortable with but when it comes to uncertain history u don't base on assumptions.

there's no evidence of any outside Ile-Ife origin...

Dear readers, kindly click on 'ladionline' or 'macof', then go through our posts and encounters so far. Thanks.

Hello macof, everyone have an angle. You just said 'uncertain history' up there, how do you become an 'authority on uncertainty'? Can there be anything like that? You said it, "I do whatever I am comfortable with" You have a comfort - zone.

You are restricted to 'material resource' which are often 'processed information' that is not truly free of 'Terms and Conditions' applied. Meanwhile, as there are material resources, there are also 'extra-material' resources too. If you realize this, it would make a difference. Your imaginations definitely becomes fertile as you keep update.
Re: What Is The Precept Of Yoruba History? by ladionline: 6:28am On Dec 02, 2013
Now as to other places existing outside Ife, we know that it is often speculated that Oduduwa met Orunmila at Ife. My community is known as ale ife , among her core traditionalists. Now Yoruba would say, Ado nile Ifa[/i]or "[i]Ewi nle Ado" in reference to Orunmila. The historic Ado can be any of the present ones in Yoruba, and it does applied that at the time of Oduduwa, Orunmila was, and he has his stead outside Today Ife.

Except, of course Ife is the same place called Ado. Then it follows that Ado was a contemporary place with Ife since Orunmila is assume as contemporary of Oduduwa. Meanwhile there are different Ado at different places in Yorubaland. What about places that are not so called, what historical restriction stop them from existing? We are the ones avoiding an angle as this to protect the the obvious. For the little we know now seems enough, we can stretch it to do many things.

But truth is not always dangerous, it may end up in our favour more often, so why panic at telling or receiving truth? Why would Yoruba call different place the same name? Backup. In case one did not survive to tell the story, one will. But also, if one get the story wrong, the ancestors can always be sure there is a backup to look up to.
Re: What Is The Precept Of Yoruba History? by ladionline: 11:00am On Dec 02, 2013
And so, the history of Yoruba is akin to a broken pot, each and every Yoruba polity holds a potsherd that must be brought together and harnessed to make what can be called Yoruba History. No need labeling some as aborigin and savage that the invaders conquer.

Its a big work in futility to assume we can write Yoruba history on the premise that Ife or Oyo tradition is enough, others don't count or one must "stretch all tradition back to the cradle". Such pride is the problem of Yoruba scholarship on nairaland and elsewhere. God helps whoever think otherwise.
Re: What Is The Precept Of Yoruba History? by ladionline: 11:19am On Dec 02, 2013
A good instance of stretching back all tradition to source is when Awori, which simply means "the seer saw it", whose tradition ought to spring from Iwori in Ifa rather look elsewhere and came up with a migration from Ife, following a "juju-plate". Then the juju-plate sank somewhere and the place came to be call "awori" meaning the plate sank cheesy. If that is how to wrought history, it behooves on us to re-validate our history going through the extra material resource offer in our language and traditions. cool
Re: What Is The Precept Of Yoruba History? by macof(m): 11:45am On Dec 02, 2013
ladionline:

Dear readers, kindly click on 'ladionline' or 'macof', then go through our posts and encounters so far. Thanks.

Hello macof, everyone have an angle. You just said 'uncertain history' up there, how do you become an 'authority on uncertainty'? Can there be anything like that? You said it, "I do whatever I am comfortable with" You have a comfort - zone.

You are restricted to 'material resource' which are often 'processed information' that is not truly free of 'Terms and Conditions' applied. Meanwhile, as there are material resources, there are also 'extra-material' resources too. If you realize this, it would make a difference. Your imaginations definitely becomes fertile as you keep update.

undecided which readers are u pleading for?

I cannot just approve some kwack historians claim on origins that I see no sense in. That's discomfort not on selfish or Itk basis but when there is lack of evidence I can't be comfortable wit just anything anybody brings.
Someone might come and tell I ur origin is China and many would believe without checking things out themselves.
When I find no discomfort in such claims then I might not bother to check it out, but if I do and I check it out finding truth to it, then I believe.
All claims on Yoruba origin is at my discomfort or comfort because it is my origin and no one should expect me to believe anything that comes with validating it myself.

Again you have nothing to offer
Re: What Is The Precept Of Yoruba History? by ladionline: 6:49pm On Dec 02, 2013
The world revolve around you and your feelings, macof, you are the reflection of what you see in others. when you point accusing fingers at people without critical review of their works, it can only mean you lack intellectual clout to engage them in constructive review of their work. You are a mud fighter, knowledge has vindicated me because I have done my homework before nairaland went up. The thread on Yoruba names you put up is plaigerised from an old book, and you did not acknowledge the author. You don't have stuff baby, go fight bible or yahweh as you always do, Yoruba is too profound for you. Start your own thread if you are not a quack. WHERE IS THE ASSIGNMENT I GAVE YOU? EHN? AND YOU CLAIM YOU KNOW! 'STUPIRANTUM' IS ANOTHER NAME FOR WURU-WURU TO THE ANSWER. Hello o?
Re: What Is The Precept Of Yoruba History? by macof(m): 8:53pm On Dec 02, 2013
^^^ Still has nothing to offer
Re: What Is The Precept Of Yoruba History? by ladionline: 10:59pm On Dec 02, 2013
macof: ^^^ Still has nothing to offer
Thanks, WILL YOU OFFER ME THE ASSIGNMENT I GAVE YOU? DARWIN BOY, 'APES-OBEY!' HEY! you ARE FADING OFF MACOF. GO BACK HOME AND DO YOUR ASSIGNMENT AND HOMEWORK, then pick a better attitude next time you register.
Re: What Is The Precept Of Yoruba History? by MetaPhysical: 11:19pm On Dec 02, 2013
macof:

there's no evidence of any outside Ile-Ife origin, even the Ijebu who have their latest mass migration from waddai were exposed to Ile-Ife culture on their rest there before joining other aborigines and mixing together in present day Ijebu.

How is Ijebu not part of Ife but yet are sandwiched between people with origins in Ife?

Can anyone please trace their path between Chad and Ijebuland. If they had no foothold in Imperial Ife then what are they doing in the interior of Yorubaland?
Re: What Is The Precept Of Yoruba History? by macof(m): 1:19pm On Dec 03, 2013
MetaPhysical:

How is Ijebu not part of Ife but yet are sandwiched between people with origins in Ife?.
All Yoruba have roots in Ife, it's actually new that the Awujale claims outside of Ife as the origin of Ijebu.
3 known migrations occurred en route to present Ijebu where there was already a population of seafarers from Ikale/Ilaje region called Idoko
First was Osi (from Waddai as claimed) known as Olu-iwa of Ijebu who settled in Imusin the centre of Idoko seafarers and boat owners, his son Osinumesi migrated to Ijebu-ode with Ajebu and Olode
second was Arisu who was initially part of Olu-iwa's team but stayed at Ife
Third was Ogboroganda aka Obanta the grandson of Olu-iwa and second son of oduduwa who deposed Ofiran his cousin, He was later known as Oba Ijasi

Can anyone please trace their path between Chad and Ijebuland. If they had no foothold in Imperial Ife then what are they doing in the interior of Yorubaland?
I do not know wat made them leave their country but They were welcomed to Ile-Ife and adopted much of Ife culture. They were also exposed to Bini who they came across at least based on much that is known.

On getting to Ijebu, they mixed up with the people already there
Re: What Is The Precept Of Yoruba History? by Tolexander: 2:08pm On Dec 03, 2013
E je ka lo ke gbajure o!
Re: What Is The Precept Of Yoruba History? by belltwelve(m): 3:20pm On Dec 03, 2013
I'm not Yoruba, but I'm enjoying this deep intellectual discourse.@ ladionline, kudos for your thought provoking series of threads.

My own 2 cents is that if the Yoruba can decipher the meaning of the name Oduduwa, then they have the key to their origins; and that move to decipher this mystery should transcend Nigeria.

It should be a look towards the Maghribian and Middle Eastern cultural regions. A look to times long past.

If the participants of this thread continue with energy, they may find something.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Yoruba Boy Learn To Speak Igbo With This App / Yoruba Voted Africa's Sexiest Language; 8th Sexiest in the World / Enjoy My Awori Historical Praise Poetry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 117
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.