Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,820 members, 7,817,395 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:28 AM

Member Of SMC Wants NYSC To Be Scrapped - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Member Of SMC Wants NYSC To Be Scrapped (558 Views)

NYSC To Deploy Doctors, Pharmacists To IDPs Camps / NYSC To Increase Corpers' Allowances – Olawumi / Should NYSC Be Scrapped? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Member Of SMC Wants NYSC To Be Scrapped by Nobody: 8:41pm On Nov 24, 2013
Generally, are there national policies and programmes you think need to be abolished or reviewed?

There are many, but the most burning one is that I was a member of the Supreme Military Council when this thing called National Youth Service Corps was introduced. I think that thing should now be scrapped. The first reason: the name of the Corps is National Youth Service Corps, but are we actually reaching out to Nigerian youth with that programme? The answer is no. We are reaching out to only the graduates; the privileged few who have been through the university and other higher education institutions. They are given one-year jamboree and used as slaves, because they are not paid the appropriate salary for their grade. You now send them to different parts of the country to become teachers and so on. The people in the North will come to the Niger Delta and will be posted to the oil companies, while my own children will go to Sokoto and other parts of the North to teach. After one year, the people who came to Rivers and served in Agip, Shell, Total and other oil companies, get acquainted with the officers of those companies, while my own son does not know them. So, the youth from the North are more likely to get jobs in those oil companies than my son. That means his natural inheritance is now being swapped by some clever manoeuvres. How long will this sort of thing go on all in the name of national unity? In advance countries, every youth, who reaches 18 years of age goes and does military service for one year. Let us scrap the youth service programme, which actually should be renamed as graduate service if we want to continue with it, and introduce a youth service which will touch every 18 year old. Every 18 year old should go and do one year military service. If they are in the university, whenever they graduate, they should go and do theirs.

Copyright PUNCH.
Re: Member Of SMC Wants NYSC To Be Scrapped by Kingslaw(m): 9:12pm On Nov 24, 2013
okpotor morriowo money finish eye clear.you just dey wake?

(1) (Reply)

Batch B 2014: Say A Prayer And Wish / NYSC Plateau, batch C14 Going From UNIZIK / Gov.Amechi Has Refused To Pay Us Our State Allowance - 2012 Batch B Corpers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.