Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,229 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:09 AM

Doctor Arraigned For Allegedly Killing A Woman During Abortion - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Doctor Arraigned For Allegedly Killing A Woman During Abortion (16132 Views)

How Under-graduate Died During Abortion(pictured)- The Vanguard / Having An Abortion: 95% Of Women Don't Regret It - Time Magazine / Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Doctor Arraigned For Allegedly Killing A Woman During Abortion by johntousin(m): 2:55pm On Nov 25, 2013
A Yaba Magistrate’s Court in Lagos on Monday held that a 35-year-old Medical Doctor, Edeye Monday, had a case to answer over his alleged murder of a 22-year-old pregnant woman, Tolani Aderoju.

The Police Prosecutor, Godwin Anyanwun, while arraigning Mr. Monday in court on July 31, 2012, said the accused on May 29, 2012, injected Ms. Aderoju with some unknown drugs, while attempting to abort her pregnancy.

The prosecutor had told the court that Ms. Aderoju’s mother, in her complaint, said her daughter had informed her that she was pregnant for one Mufutau Alonge.

She said that Mr. Alonge had taken her daughter to Monday’s private clinic for an abortion.

According to the prosecutor, the accused, after injecting Ms. Aderoju with drugs, but could not terminate the pregnancy, rushed her to another hospital, where she died.

Mr. Anyanwun, a police inspector, said that the offence contravened Section 221 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2011, and that the penalty was the death sentence.

But the court adjourned the matter till Nov. 25 to await the advice of the State Director of Public Prosecution’s (DPP) on the matter, while it ordered that the accused be remanded in prison custody.

At the resumed hearing of the case on Monday, the Magistrate, Adekorede Ajibade, said: “a murder case has been established against the accused.”

“Consequently, his case will be transferred to a court of superior record”.

She said that legal advice from the DPP had established a prima facie case of unlawful killing against the accused.

Ms. Ajibade consequently ordered that the case file be transferred to the High Court, for trial.

http://premiumtimesng.com/news/150288-doctor-arraigned-allegedly-killing-pregnant-woman-abortion.html
Re: Doctor Arraigned For Allegedly Killing A Woman During Abortion by buoye1(m): 2:57pm On Nov 25, 2013
Lobatan!
Re: Doctor Arraigned For Allegedly Killing A Woman During Abortion by kemmary: 3:18pm On Nov 25, 2013
L
Re: Doctor Arraigned For Allegedly Killing A Woman During Abortion by pafestula(m): 3:18pm On Nov 25, 2013
Death while in service grin Hell fire self contain apartment ready for her... RIP anyway

4 Likes

Re: Doctor Arraigned For Allegedly Killing A Woman During Abortion by scribble: 3:19pm On Nov 25, 2013
This is manslaughter Na. He didn't mean to kill her. Responsible mother tho.
Re: Doctor Arraigned For Allegedly Killing A Woman During Abortion by Lilimax(f): 3:20pm On Nov 25, 2013
In as much as I don't subscribe to abortion, people
should stop patronizing quacks.

Another promising young life wasted as a result of carelessness sad

2 Likes

Re: Doctor Arraigned For Allegedly Killing A Woman During Abortion by checkdate(m): 3:21pm On Nov 25, 2013
. . .confusion
Re: Doctor Arraigned For Allegedly Killing A Woman During Abortion by dhammer(m): 3:22pm On Nov 25, 2013
scribble: This is manslaughter Na. He didn't mean to kill her. Responsible mother tho.
you are so right, wonderful mothers we have, knew your daughter was going to have an abortion.

1 Like

Re: Doctor Arraigned For Allegedly Killing A Woman During Abortion by sakaguchi(m): 3:23pm On Nov 25, 2013
[s]Mr. Anyanwun, a police inspector, said that the
offence contravened Section 221 of the Criminal
Law of Lagos State, 2011, and that the penalty
was the death sentence.[/s]

Unfortunately I don't know much about that section of the constitution so I will keep mum about it.

What I do know however is that in an age where nothing is new, where we see 60+ old perverts molesting young girls (some of whom they themselves birthed), then, laws against abortion is simply reterograde. Make no mistake about it, I'm a Catholic and a medico, when I'm licensed, I will not partake of that procedure, but that's just me. Government should not be jaundiced with religious lenses. For God sake, we have sharia laws in some part of Nigeria and the same law is non - existent in some state. Why can't Government abrogate that clause in the constitution that has lead to the death of many promising, young and able Nigerian girls? Let some hospitals or some state be licensed to carry out this procedure. Many girls. Have passed on to the life beyond in the hands of quacks. When issues like this come up, instead of Nigerians to critically question its occurrence and engage in robust discussion that will lead to the end of this unecessary problems, they go about with phrases like "End time things", "eya" ,"it is well", "hellfire straight".
We can't claim that we are protecting the life of the unborn foetus by naysaying on "abortion" as a right for all women.
This young girl just died, her unborn foetus died too, and the quack (who should not even be in business if our government are not bunches of "never do good" individuals) will be garroted.

I am for the abrogation of the law against abortion

10 Likes

Re: Doctor Arraigned For Allegedly Killing A Woman During Abortion by BUSHHUNTER: 3:25pm On Nov 25, 2013
I DONT BELIEVE THIS!
Re: Doctor Arraigned For Allegedly Killing A Woman During Abortion by borntobegr8t(m): 3:25pm On Nov 25, 2013
Naija and Quack Doctors embarassed

Re: Doctor Arraigned For Allegedly Killing A Woman During Abortion by Nobody: 3:26pm On Nov 25, 2013
Good. we should be accountable for our actions. A life didn't have to be lost for this to have happened though. BTW, Im of the opinion that abortion should be legalized anyway.

2 Likes

Re: Doctor Arraigned For Allegedly Killing A Woman During Abortion by Adesam09(m): 3:30pm On Nov 25, 2013
Ok
Re: Doctor Arraigned For Allegedly Killing A Woman During Abortion by Nobody: 3:32pm On Nov 25, 2013
What am I supposed to feel anyway?
Re: Doctor Arraigned For Allegedly Killing A Woman During Abortion by omanifrank(m): 3:34pm On Nov 25, 2013
sad
Re: Doctor Arraigned For Allegedly Killing A Woman During Abortion by Hardheolar(m): 3:38pm On Nov 25, 2013
Wat a cruel world. Make dem sentence d man ASAP.
Re: Doctor Arraigned For Allegedly Killing A Woman During Abortion by sureboykris(m): 3:40pm On Nov 25, 2013
The time to legalize abortion is now !!!
Re: Doctor Arraigned For Allegedly Killing A Woman During Abortion by boolet: 3:45pm On Nov 25, 2013
Quack!!!
Re: Doctor Arraigned For Allegedly Killing A Woman During Abortion by Dosoq(f): 3:46pm On Nov 25, 2013
I want 2 bliv we all read d story well,d mother was aware of d abortion,while dr monday injected her,but she later died in another hospital,if I'm 2 judge d case,d mother should also b prosecuted,moreso,d dr is not guilty cos if he is,so many doctors ought 2 b prosecuted 4 d deaths of deir numerous patients.

3 Likes

Re: Doctor Arraigned For Allegedly Killing A Woman During Abortion by a2personal2013: 3:50pm On Nov 25, 2013
Its quite a pity that such things still happen. I think we should sensitize people on the need to legalize abortion so that such women could have acess to the best in this area to take care of them.

I laugh when people call me to ask if there is a drug or injection that can abort an embryo or foetus. There is a small percentage chance that there could be complication, just like this case.

Its so sad and hope that we all learn from this especially young ladies that use misoprostol and mifeprestone !

1 Like

Re: Doctor Arraigned For Allegedly Killing A Woman During Abortion by ifemiide: 3:51pm On Nov 25, 2013
Where is the mufutau, the doctor houldnt carry the burden alone.
Re: Doctor Arraigned For Allegedly Killing A Woman During Abortion by excell12go(m): 4:22pm On Nov 25, 2013
Is that man a licensed medical doctor If yes, -where was he trained?
-is he a consultant of O&G?
I think these questions should be asked in court.
Anyways, I'll b opening a thread soon on how to stop this madness.
The medical profession hasn't gone to dogs yet.
Re: Doctor Arraigned For Allegedly Killing A Woman During Abortion by jmoore(m): 4:37pm On Nov 25, 2013
Your plan is to kill an innocent baby but your accomplice killed you and the baby.

Say no to abortion.

2 Likes

Re: Doctor Arraigned For Allegedly Killing A Woman During Abortion by Nobody: 4:41pm On Nov 25, 2013
And she would have been alive today if she decided to carry the baby to term.
Life
Why didn't her mother that she confided in persuade her to keep the baby and bring home to her if she didn't want to keep it
Re: Doctor Arraigned For Allegedly Killing A Woman During Abortion by codeddj: 4:53pm On Nov 25, 2013
This is one of the people that tarnishes the image of this noble profession.....Naija medics are good nt quacks like this so called doc
Re: Doctor Arraigned For Allegedly Killing A Woman During Abortion by helpee(m): 4:58pm On Nov 25, 2013
excell12go: Is that man a licensed medical doctor If yes, -where was he trained?
-is he a consultant of O&G?
I think these questions should be asked in court.
Anyways, I'll b opening a thread soon on how to stop this madness.
The medical profession hasn't gone to dogs yet.
what are u saying? What has the school where he trained got to do with this? And don't insult consultants in O an G, any doctor after internship should be able to safely perform evacuation. Few injections can actually cause abortion and medical termination of pregnancy is safe only b4 7wks. Anything afterwards is dangerous cos of the risk of incomplete abortion and resultant post abortal sepsis. In nigeria, medical termination of pregnancy is risky cos mifepritone is solely meant for abortion and since abortion is not legal in nigeria, pharmacist can't import it. People are now left with misoprostol alone which should be an adjuvant to mifepristone. No injection is proven to induce abortion except methotrexate and can only be safely used by a doctor. What happened was that the doctor was inexperienced. The pregnancy was probably bigger than what could be terminated medically. The more the gestational age of the pregnancy, the more the risk of serious complication

1 Like

Re: Doctor Arraigned For Allegedly Killing A Woman During Abortion by Nobody: 5:11pm On Nov 25, 2013
I strongly blame the doctor for not acting wisely. I still doubt if the girl and parents have not attempted on their own to abort the baby via ingestion of herbal products either orally or vaginally. the girl must also have died as a result of such complication. if the doctor did not carry out any mini surgical procedure I fuse with good lawyer he can get out of this, he gave the drug and can also claim giving simple analgesic knowing fully well that we cannot do autopsy.
I don't know of any injectible abortion drugs that can cause death at normal therapeutic dose.

2 Likes

Re: Doctor Arraigned For Allegedly Killing A Woman During Abortion by Arosam(m): 5:13pm On Nov 25, 2013
Any time a Med Doctor makes a mistake the word quack is usually abscribe to him/her, our doctors do not have the experience of aborting a pregnancy cos of our law against it, what do a 35years doctor knows. RIP

1 Like

Re: Doctor Arraigned For Allegedly Killing A Woman During Abortion by unmask: 5:16pm On Nov 25, 2013
does it necessarily have to be an abortion, how about induced miscarriage?
Re: Doctor Arraigned For Allegedly Killing A Woman During Abortion by Layolaw(f): 5:19pm On Nov 25, 2013
22 yrs old? hummm so sad
Re: Doctor Arraigned For Allegedly Killing A Woman During Abortion by Nobody: 5:22pm On Nov 25, 2013
helpee: what are u saying? What has the school where he trained got to do with this? And don't insult consultants in O an G, any doctor after internship should be able to safely perform evacuation. Few injections can actually cause abortion and medical termination of pregnancy is safe only b4 7wks. Anything afterwards is dangerous cos of the risk of incomplete abortion and resultant post abortal sepsis. In nigeria, medical termination of pregnancy is risky cos mifepritone is solely meant for abortion and since abortion is not legal in nigeria, pharmacist can't import it. People are now left with misoprostol alone which should be an adjuvant to mifepristone. No injection is proven to induce abortion except methotrexate and can only be safely used by a doctor. What happened was that the doctor was inexperienced. The pregnancy was probably bigger than what could be terminated medically. The more the gestational age of the pregnancy, the more the risk of serious complication

nice write up from u.
sir pls when next u are commenting on medical issues like this, kindly withhold some vital information like mentioning names of drugs for some People will copy it down and abuse the products. even the pharmaceutical companies will tell u to use the drugs as directed by ur physician.
thanks

3 Likes

Re: Doctor Arraigned For Allegedly Killing A Woman During Abortion by passionate88: 5:23pm On Nov 25, 2013
Where that NL girl wey carry?. Make she cm read this news o. Roadside quacks full Naija. Make she no fall a victim.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Kwara Records 1st COVID-19 Death, Confirms 4 New Cases Today / What You Should Do To A Knocked-out Tooth / Hiv+ Experiences,lets Share It.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.