Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,838 members, 7,828,057 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 11:07 PM

Why Should ASUU Run My Life? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Should ASUU Run My Life? (753 Views)

How I’ll Run My Govt, Economy, By Gen. Buhari... dailyindependentnig.com / Obasanjo Wants To Run My Govt – Jonathan / Obasanjo Wants To Run My Govt – Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Should ASUU Run My Life? by TeNDuLKaaY(m): 5:40pm On Nov 25, 2013
A pressure group is a number of people that come together with the aim of influencing government decisions to suit their interest. Emphasis here on 'their interest', not necessarily the interest of the population who are not members of the group, how selfish?.

Over four months ago, the academic staff union of universities (ASUU), embarked on an indefinite strike that has since seen activities in universities grind to a halt. The union cites insincerity on the part of the FG to implement their agreement of 2009, as the reason for their decision. This is the same ASUU whose members has worked independently to stiffle student unionism; the same ASUU expects the sympathy of the FG. This is the same ASUU whose members collect bribe to alter examination results; the same ASUU expects the sympathy of students. This is the same ASUU whose members employ 1975 syllabuses to lecture (not teach) in 2013; seriously, do you need government intervention to keep up with developments in your field of specialization, when information is available online? Nevertheless, I won't dwell on the moral right of this action, I am more concerned with its legality.

ASUU claims that in 2009 it reached an agreement with the FG contained in the memorandum of understanding signed by both parties. Now the pertinent question is, why can't the leadership of ASUU take a copy of this agreement to court and sue the FG for breach of contract? Surely that would not take over four months to drag a resolution, and students wouldn't be away from school during this period. No? Is there more to the saga?

Scanning through the contents of this agreement, you find out (some if not most) of the demands are preposterous and downright selfish. Why should ASUU coerce the FG to allocate to universities a given percentage of the education budget? So let's say everything works out just fine, and in two years the NUT suddenly realises that our primary and secondary schools are in regression, and demands for a formula in contrast with ASUU's; what happens then? Maybe, we would just go back to ASUU to decide, as they have taken the powers of budgetary allocation from the national assembly.

There are other such ridiculous demands (not requests); increase in the official retirement age of lecturers (in a country abundantly blessed with unemployed persons, churned out yearly by universities, overseen by same lecturers) and the autonomy of universities (while still receiving budget allocation -receiving without giving back, who wouldn't love that?).
So today's nagging questions are; why should ASUU run my life? Why should ASUU determine when I start or finish my education? Why should a group less than 50 000, determine the fate of hundreds of thousands of students? Why should ASUU be the sole decider of the activities of universities funded by taxes from the entire populaton? Why sould ASUU negotiate for other stakeholders in the education sector?
It is very disgusting that a few number of persons, hijacks a sector of the economy, in a nation of about 170 million. It should be noted that some folks depend on the market of the community in public schools, for their livelihood and so have contributed to our economy. Why should they suffer now? Why should our economy suffer? Why should the nation suffer, due to the interest of this union?

A lot has to change - and fast too. Democracy gives us liberty, but it should not come at another man's peril; the right to swing your arm stops right where my nose starts. My life, your life and the lives of millions of Nigerians, whose best interests are not represented by ASUU, shouldn't be decided by their (probably political) antics.
Re: Why Should ASUU Run My Life? by 1025: 6:09pm On Nov 25, 2013
uncle, whatsoever you quote or discuss here, u learnt from ASUU. that group be them pressure or treasure group deserve to be paid for at least making u know how to express urself. don't leave the the object for shadow.
the govt are group of men and women elected or selected (as nigerian case may be) to run the affairs others. they make laws, interpret these laws and then punish the law breakers. sir, what laws are these govt ppl making? how are they interpreting these laws and how many of the so-called law breakers get the necessary punishments? the govt must be blamed and they should be ready to accept responsibilities in case of any break down in the system.
u are at home today because ur govt blindly signed agreement with ASUU in 2009 only to come in 2013 to say oh, did we sign this actually? sorry, we tot it was our usual political rallies where we say anything that comes to our mouths.
to make it another night of a thousand laughs, ur govt has now increased the so-called N600B to N1.1T. with the next 5 years when the women in charge of money is saying the govt is broke. maybe it has not come to their mind because that is the last resort, the govt will soon tell u that ASUU is yet to be paid because of the fuel subsidy so there is the need to remove the fuel subsidy to enable them pay ASUU.
Re: Why Should ASUU Run My Life? by TeNDuLKaaY(m): 6:18pm On Nov 25, 2013
1025: uncle, whatsoever you quote or discuss here, u learnt from ASUU. that group be them pressure or treasure group deserve to be paid for at least making u know how to express urself. don't leave the the object for shadow.
the govt are group of men and women elected or selected (as nigerian case may be) to run the affairs others. they make laws, interpret these laws and then punish the law breakers. sir, what laws are these govt ppl making? how are they interpreting these laws and how many of the so-called law breakers get the necessary punishments? the govt must be blamed and they should be ready to accept responsibilities in case of any break down in the system.
u are at home today because ur govt blindly signed agreement with ASUU in 2009 only to come in 2013 to say oh, did we sign this actually? sorry, we tot it was our usual political rallies where we say anything that comes to our mouths.
to make it another night of a thousand laughs, ur govt has now increased the so-called N600B to N1.1T. with the next 5 years when the women in charge of money is saying the govt is broke. maybe it has not come to their mind because that is the last resort, the govt will soon tell u that ASUU is yet to be paid because of the fuel subsidy so there is the need to remove the fuel subsidy to enable them pay ASUU.
I get your point. I am not trying to exonerate the FG, infact I am all for better governance. All I am saying is, there are better ways to resolve the issue than a strike that runs for half-a-session. People don't have to suffer because ASUU has an axe to grind with the FG. We are all on the receiving side of this bad governance, they shouldn't make our lives worse.
Re: Why Should ASUU Run My Life? by Nobody: 6:47pm On Nov 25, 2013
So ASUU RUN your life cheesy
I guess u never even attend uni... Bcox ASUU cannot run your life(but u can say RUIN) I think that's what u dnt knw hw 2 spel
Re: Why Should ASUU Run My Life? by TeNDuLKaaY(m): 7:14pm On Nov 25, 2013
Usbeel: So ASUU RUN your life cheesy
I guess u never even attend uni... Bcox ASUU cannot run your life(but u can say RUIN) I think that's what u dnt knw hw 2 spel
RUN; to take control of the trend of events.
RUIN; to shatter or destroy.
In this context ruin gives a more devastating view to what I want to express. Thank you sir, but I think I'm in order.
And if you read through the article, you would see that the lives affected by this strike goes beyond those of students and lecturers, in otherwords you don't need to be in the university to be affected. Notwithstanding, I am a bona fide student of the first (indigenous) university, a true Lion in all aspect.

(1) (Reply)

How Jonathan Handed Aggrieved Govs / Don’t Even Try To Impeach Amaechi, It’s ‘bad Market’ / Man Jailed For Stealing Shoes At Mosque

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.