Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,102 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:05 PM

The Myth Of Being Single. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Myth Of Being Single. (1142 Views)

Akudaya:myth Or Reality? / The Myth Of Nazareth: Did the historical Jesus Exist? / Mammy Water: Myth Or Reality? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Myth Of Being Single. by obillyj(f): 5:31pm On Nov 26, 2013
The rate with which single individuals rush into marriage & rush out is alarming. it makes me wonder,
* Is it a sin or taboo to be single?
* Does the bible condemn singlehood?
* Are there benefits of being Single?
* Why does Christianity make us believe it's wrong to be single?
* Must everyone get married?
* Can being single take one to hell?

Nairalanders let's bring in our views on this. you never can tell whose life or marriage you will be saving.
Re: The Myth Of Being Single. by Sepp360(m): 5:38pm On Nov 26, 2013
And who says being single is sinful?...

It's simply a rare and difficult decision to take!
Re: The Myth Of Being Single. by obillyj(f): 5:49pm On Nov 26, 2013
Sepp360: And who says being single is sinful?...

It's simply a rare and difficult decision to take!

it may not have being said directly but with the way family, friends especially churches go about it, it is being perceived as a sin or taboo.

Preachers are always hammering on young ladies getting married. it has become everyday prayer in churches. no one is talking about serving God in our youths anymore.
all that a single Christian thinks n prays about is for husband or wife esp we ladies. Is marriage a ticket to heaven?
Re: The Myth Of Being Single. by obillyj(f): 5:54pm On Nov 26, 2013
Besides it shouldn't be a difficult decision to take with what we see in marriages this days. don't be surprised many Christians that started well may end up in hell cos of what marriage did to them.

there is glory in being Single. you have to be single first and understand what it means before you can enter marriage.
if you don't celebrate being a single lady or gentleman, you can't enjoy marriage. Reason is that marriage is for 2 SINGLE individual.
Re: The Myth Of Being Single. by Sepp360(m): 7:01pm On Nov 26, 2013
i aint surprised if many christians end up in hell because of marriage!...
Infact, there are one thousand and one engagements and silly hypocritical attitudes that will make many christians end up in hell; Thats if really there is hell!...

Don't stress yourself much about what the church thinks/says about being single!.. If you aint ready for marriage, then remain happily single!...
Re: The Myth Of Being Single. by Godmouth(m): 7:24pm On Nov 26, 2013
As young Christians: one should celebrate their singleness with passion and fervour in the service of God. Honestly as good/enjoyable as courtship and marriage is, responsibilities and distractions comes along that would vie for one's attention towards God. It takes more work, effort, and focus to serve God when in a relationship or married with various responsibilities.
Re: The Myth Of Being Single. by obillyj(f): 8:00pm On Nov 26, 2013
@Godmouth, you are rightly on point. lets look at 1Corinthians 7: 32-35 Paul taught on being single n married. he stressed that to be single means more time n devotion to God but when one is married, the time, devotion is now divided. the married then cares for d things of the world- how they will please each other. also d bible said somewhere that we should serve God in d days of our youth.
Re: The Myth Of Being Single. by obillyj(f): 8:07pm On Nov 26, 2013
What does it mean to be SINGLE?

Single means SEPARATE, UNIQUE, & WHOLE.
Separate means to be distinct from everyone.
Unique means that you bring something that no one else has brought.
Whole means you don't need nothing from anybody to feel complete.

it means you can enjoy your own company & be complete. you need no one to make u special. There's nothing like "my better half" because as a single you are whole & complete.
Re: The Myth Of Being Single. by Lordlexyy: 8:20pm On Nov 26, 2013
Why do people for lack of better excuses always want to drag God, bible or the church into matters merely reflected in the society. Where does the bible condemn singleness? If being single makes you happy and more responsible and committed in your services to God, the better for you. But the possibility of being single and still maintain that singleness in the real sense of it(without being sexually intimate), is almost impossible and that explain why most Pastors constantly hammer on the need for marriage. The fact that few people due to wrong choices are having issues in their marriage doesn't mean thousands if not millions are having marrital bliss. So don't come out to discourage those who genuinely knows the importance of marriage and why they want to get married. Marriage is for two mature people who value responsibilites, who believes that two is better than one. I still ascert that being married is far better than being single and happy.
Re: The Myth Of Being Single. by mumumugu(m): 8:20pm On Nov 26, 2013
f you hate being single or think a relationship would be some magical cure-all, then you’re just likely to stay single even longer, and will struggle to form meaningful, long-lasting relationships.
Re: The Myth Of Being Single. by obillyj(f): 8:23pm On Nov 26, 2013
In d beginning God made them male & female Gen 1:27. He did not create half male n half female. he made each complete, separate & unique.
Singleness was God's original foundation. He did not create a married couple.

He created a man by himself. A complete man with responsibilities.
1) He ensure that Adam was continually in his presence. In d cool of the evening he will go n fellowship with Adam.
2) He gave him work to tend d garden.
3) To guard(protect) d garden.
4) To develop & cultivate d garden.
5) To keep his commandments.

with all that Adam was Single (separate, unique & whole). In Gen 2:18 God then said "it is not good for man to be ALONE...." Being "alone" is different from being single.
ALONE means to be EXCLUSIVE.
Re: The Myth Of Being Single. by obillyj(f): 8:31pm On Nov 26, 2013
Lordlexyy: Why do people for lack of better excuses always want to drag God, bible or the church into matters merely reflected in the society. Where does the bible condemn singleness? If being single makes you happy and more responsible and committed in your services to God, the better for you. But the possibility of being single and still maintain that singleness in the real sense of it(without being sexually intimate), is almost impossible and that explain why most Pastors constantly hammer on the need for marriage. The fact that few people due to wrong choices are having issues in their marriage doesn't mean thousands if not millions are having marrital bliss. So don't come out to discourage those who genuinely knows the importance of marriage and why they want to get married. Marriage is for two mature people who value responsibilites, who believes that two is better than one. I still ascert that being married is far better than being single and happy.

I think you sound too harsh & biased. the point am trying to portray is that Singles should not be in a hurry to get married. we need to understand singlehood n live completely as single before we can enter marriage cos it's only then can we have d blissful marriage.
this tread is not to discourage marriage but to celebrate n live fulfilled as a single before marriage comes n not to live with d gloomy faces of defeated singles i see around all the time. it is to live above d fact " yes am not married yet but am fulfilled" & someday d spouse will show n not to be depressed or move from one prayer house to another.

1 Like

Re: The Myth Of Being Single. by obillyj(f): 8:40pm On Nov 26, 2013
mumumugu: f you hate being single or think a relationship would be some magical cure-all, then you’re just likely to stay single even longer, and will struggle to form meaningful, long-lasting relationships.

I think the society mistake being single & being alone. the two are different. anyone with d knowledge of what single is never look for a mate. such a person know his/her purpose & goes about doing it. just like Adam Gen 2:15.

Marriage does not cure aloneness or loneliness.
Re: The Myth Of Being Single. by obillyj(f): 8:54pm On Nov 26, 2013
It is okay to be single but not good to be alone. focus on refining yourself. develop yourself as a single to be an asset & add value to that spouse.
Eve was created complete & was given to Adam as a help meet. Adam then said,"for this reason shall a man....." Gen 2:24

God did not make a married couple, Adam married d woman. it was a union between two WHOLE, UNIQUE & COMPLETE people & not two equal halves.

Singles know this MARRIAGE IS A CHOICE & NOT A REQUIREMENT.
Do not let anyone make u feel u must get married, ah age is no longer on your side, ur mates are all married, what are u still waiting for, etc

channel your energy on knowing ur purpose n fulfilling it. Develop yourself . acquire knowledge so u will be an asset & not a leech when d spouse comes. Your purpose is not in ur marriage. you can marry the wrong person know& destroy your purpose. let him/her meet you busy fulfilling ur purpose.
Re: The Myth Of Being Single. by obillyj(f): 9:08pm On Nov 26, 2013
The most important relationship in life is not inter relationship but INTRA RELATIONSHIP. you can't hate yourself & expect someone to get along with u. self love is very important n this u develop as a single.

My Question is; If you knew what you know about yourself would you marry you?

do u know how ur breathe smells in d morning? the fact u can't cook? u get angry easily, you can't stand certain things etc now imagine all that n u expect someone to keep in d house. so u see why u have to develop yourself as a single in order areas in order to compliment in where u are lacking.

The key is knowledge- be an asset and not A leech. you bring to the marriage what you are as a single. nothing changes at the altar. Check the person's single life before you enter into marriage.

Don't say "Pastor i will make him change. i will make him quit smoking" etc. You are not Holy Ghost.

If they never change to get you, they will never change to keep you.

spouse comes when u are not looking for it. Serve the lord now u are yet single cos u will not have all d time again when u get married.
Re: The Myth Of Being Single. by Godmouth(m): 9:44pm On Nov 26, 2013
@ obillyj: The scripture you are referring to in the later part of your sentence is Ecclesiastes chapter 12 vs 1. This is one of my mottos in life as a child of God.
Re: The Myth Of Being Single. by obillyj(f): 9:58pm On Nov 26, 2013
Godmouth: @ obillyj: The scripture you are referring to in the later part of your sentence is Ecclesiastes chapter 12 vs 1. This is one of my mottos in life as a child of God.

Thanks alot. i just read it now. God bless you
Re: The Myth Of Being Single. by 24in7: 10:21pm On Nov 26, 2013
It is good for a man not to touch a woman. Nevertheless, because of sexual immorality, let each man have his own wife, and let each woman have her own husband. Let the husband render to his wife the affection due her, and likewise also the wife to her husband. The wife does not have authority over her own body, but the husband does. And likewise the husband does not have authority over his own body, but the wife does.

"Do not deprive one another except with consent for a time, that you may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again so that Satan does not tempt you because of your lack of self-control. But I say this as a concession, not as a commandment. For I wish that all men were even as I myself. But each one has his own gift from God, one in this manner and another in that." (1Corinthians 7:1-7, NKJV)
Re: The Myth Of Being Single. by Godmouth(m): 12:53pm On Nov 27, 2013
obillyj:

I think you sound too harsh & biased. the point am trying to portray is that Singles should not be in a hurry to get married. we need to understand singlehood n live completely as single before we can enter marriage cos it's only then can we have d blissful marriage.
this tread is not to discourage marriage but to celebrate n live fulfilled as a single before marriage comes n not to live with d gloomy faces of defeated singles i see around all the time. it is to live above d fact " yes am not married yet but am fulfilled" & someday d spouse will show n not to be depressed or move from one prayer house to another.

This explanation in this paragragph is so on point. The last part of the sentence talking about single men and women behaving as if singleness is an 'ailment' is so prevalent in our society today. It gets really annoying when people start going to so-called various churches: prayer houses for solution as you put it.
Re: The Myth Of Being Single. by obillyj(f): 3:35pm On Nov 27, 2013
let's celebrate our singlehood now that we have it cos the moment you are married, it's gonna be "my husband, my children, my family, my in laws,"etc. then it will be less of God's activities.
the lord is our strength.

(1) (Reply)

"What Is The Story Of Elijah And The Prophets Of Baal?" / Thus Saith The LORD!!! / A Thread For Those Attending The 2014 RCCG Convention & Ministers Conference

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.