Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,621 members, 7,813,049 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:43 AM

Lord Lugard's damning report on Nigerians - 1898 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lord Lugard's damning report on Nigerians - 1898 (1423 Views)

House Where Lugard Signed Amalgamation Of Northern Southern Nigeria. -PICS / See How Pepsi Looked like in 1898 / U.S Delivers Damning Verdict On GEJ’s Anti-corruption War (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lord Lugard's damning report on Nigerians - 1898 by Sunnybobo3(m): 10:27am On Nov 27, 2013
Extract from Annual report of the Royal West African Frontier Force 1897/1898, showing Frederick Lugard's assessment of the varied ethnic components of the RWAFF.

Excerpt (paragraph 4);

"To sum up, the men I commanded are naturally brave, vigorous and fairly intelligent, excellent marchers, hardy and of good physique, but they are inclined to be cruel, do not tell the truth, and are dishonest. Neither they nor any other natives of West Africa whom I have met are, in my opinion, fit for positions of trust, where constant supervision is not exercised. They require tactful but very firm treatment"

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151700777477030&set=gm.667576016616517&type=1

Re: Lord Lugard's damning report on Nigerians - 1898 by kakameks: 10:40am On Nov 27, 2013
This assertion is completely false and unfounded.

You the poster, can't you reason that? From Top worldbank officials to common wealth to noble laureates to music? need i go on name top nigerian at the top of the game in their various fields that shows how shamefully false and silly this myopic statement is?

1 Like

Re: Lord Lugard's damning report on Nigerians - 1898 by Sunnybobo3(m): 10:44am On Nov 27, 2013
Excerpt (paragraph 4);

"To sum up, the men I commanded are naturally brave, vigorous and fairly intelligent, excellent marchers, hardy and of good physique, but they are inclined to be cruel, do not tell the truth, and are dishonest. Neither they nor any other natives of West Africa whom I have met are, in my opinion, fit for positions of trust, where constant supervision is not exercised. They require tactful but very firm treatment"

1 Like

Re: Lord Lugard's damning report on Nigerians - 1898 by Sunnybobo3(m): 10:46am On Nov 27, 2013
So this is the way we've been from time immemorial?

Is it genetic?
Re: Lord Lugard's damning report on Nigerians - 1898 by mankand(m): 10:51am On Nov 27, 2013
Who made Nigerians corrupt?
Re: Lord Lugard's damning report on Nigerians - 1898 by Sunnybobo3(m): 10:59am On Nov 27, 2013
mankand: Who made Nigerians corrupt?

The question should be;

Are Nigerians genetically programmed to be crooks?
Re: Lord Lugard's damning report on Nigerians - 1898 by Chanchit: 11:18am On Nov 27, 2013
Nigeria...! The same since 1898, today and God forbid forever...
Re: Lord Lugard's damning report on Nigerians - 1898 by Sunnybobo3(m): 11:32am On Nov 27, 2013
Chanchit: Nigeria...! The same since 1898, today and God forbid forever...

And here was I thinking that the traits listed by Lugard above where alien to our forefathers. SMH!
Re: Lord Lugard's damning report on Nigerians - 1898 by mankand(m): 11:35am On Nov 27, 2013
Sunny_bobo:

The question should be;

Are Nigerians genetically programmed to be crooks?

Bro, you don't get the point. Nigerians are not genetically programmed to be crooks, it is the same Britons that made us crooks. If a man have access to basic amenities, there is no way he is going to venture into crime. These people invaded our lands, took our women, children and men away to unknown destination to use them as slaves, they brought religion to us and stole our resources.

In short when they came into our lands in the first place, it was the North that emulated their ways of life, so definitely he should be referring to them in his letter
Re: Lord Lugard's damning report on Nigerians - 1898 by Sunnybobo3(m): 11:56am On Nov 27, 2013
kakameks: This assertion is completely false and unfounded.

You the poster, can't you reason that? From Top worldbank officials to common wealth to noble laureates to music? need i go on name top nigerian at the top of the game in their various fields that shows how shamefully false and silly this myopic statement is?

Did you read the report at all?
Re: Lord Lugard's damning report on Nigerians - 1898 by kakameks: 12:09pm On Nov 27, 2013
Sunny_bobo: So this is the way we've been from time immemorial?

Is it genetic?

Do not say "we" not everyone may follow your line of thought.

Sunny_bobo:

Did you read the report at all?

Actually yes, what he actually did was based his assertions on those limited contacts he had and used that to generalize not just a country but the west African region. That, i my opinion, is entirely a faulty thinking!

Look at it this way, you are aware of that the level tribalism being displayed (by a few individuals) here at times is outrageous and silly, but does that reflect the mindset of the whole nation? not to speak of the west African region, even in that era am sure there must have been some sane and level headed individuals who did not cross path with him.
Re: Lord Lugard's damning report on Nigerians - 1898 by Nobody: 12:42pm On Nov 27, 2013
Sunny_bobo: So this is the way we've been from time immemorial?

Is it genetic?

Based on your reaction to the Stella Oduah saga, I will definitely say he had people like you in mind when he made that statement.
Yes, some Nigerians are irredeemably corrupt. Like the minister and her cheerleaders like you.

2 Likes

Re: Lord Lugard's damning report on Nigerians - 1898 by Sunnybobo3(m): 1:36pm On Nov 27, 2013
Aigbofa:

Based on your reaction to the Stella Oduah saga, I will definitely say he had people like you in mind when he made that statement.
Yes, some Nigerians are irredeemably corrupt. Like the minister and her cheerleaders like you.

Including Tinubu and his cheerleaders like you.

2 Likes

Re: Lord Lugard's damning report on Nigerians - 1898 by omenka(m): 2:01pm On Nov 27, 2013
kakameks: This assertion is completely false and unfounded.

The first step towards solving a problem is acknoledging there's a problem. Stop being an ostrich bro.
Re: Lord Lugard's damning report on Nigerians - 1898 by Nobody: 2:16pm On Nov 27, 2013
The question you should be asking is what was Lugard himself doing there in Nigeria if not an agent for robbers who invaded and looted your territory? What right has HE to talk about who is trustworthy or not? I mean, who are the bigger thieves, the Nigerians who sat in their country minding their business or the English who left theirs thousands of miles away to seize what does not belong to them? How much did they make from exporting our natural resources? Billions in today's money. Maybe trillions. Did Lugard account for any of those monies? Who is HE to talk of trust? A robber cannot be a judge of another's morality.

1 Like

Re: Lord Lugard's damning report on Nigerians - 1898 by Sunnybobo3(m): 8:32pm On Nov 27, 2013
ROSSIKE: The question you should be asking is what was Lugard himself doing there in Nigeria if not an agent for robbers who invaded and looted your territory? What right has HE to talk about who is trustworthy or not? I mean, who are the bigger thieves, the Nigerians who sat in their country minding their business or the English who left theirs thousands of miles away to seize what does not belong to them? How much did they make from exporting our natural resources? Billions in today's money. Maybe trillions. Did Lugard account for any of those monies? Who is HE to talk of trust? A robber cannot be a judge of another's morality.

That doesn't take away the fact inherent in his assertion, does it?
Re: Lord Lugard's damning report on Nigerians - 1898 by Nobody: 8:35pm On Nov 27, 2013
Sunny_bobo:

That doesn't take away the fact inherent in his assertion, does it?

It does. He's not qualified to make any ''assertions'', being a criminal himself.

How can someone be sitting on top of stolen land and loot and be calling his recruits ''untrustworthy''? Why should they make themselves amenable to his ''trust''? To help him entrench his oppression? What.. to help him loot the country better? If Abacha calls a person ''untrustworthy'', will you judge that person against Abacha's comments?

I don't know, but it does seem like a lot of you folks have forgotten what exactly the Brits came to Nigeria to do.
Re: Lord Lugard's damning report on Nigerians - 1898 by Nobody: 11:31pm On Nov 27, 2013
Ohio can observe sha.
Re: Lord Lugard's damning report on Nigerians - 1898 by oilyyariba(m): 4:09am On Nov 28, 2013
ROSSIKE:

It does. He's not qualified to make any ''assertions'', being a criminal himself.

How can someone be sitting on top of stolen land and loot and be calling his recruits ''untrustworthy''? Why should they make themselves amenable to his ''trust''? To help him entrench his oppression? What.. to help him loot the country better? If Abacha calls a person ''untrustworthy'', will you judge that person against Abacha's comments?

I don't know, but it does seem like a lot of you folks have forgotten what exactly the Brits came to Nigeria to do.
Since Frederick Lugard is a criminal, then his creation (nigeria) is a criminal entity, thus; must disintegrate in order to put the criminal Lugard to shame. Yes

(1) (Reply)

Governor Rochas And 171 Turkey Delegates Squander N5billion / Final Result Of Osun Decide As Announced By The INEC / GEJ: Stop Behaving Like A Woman Wakeup The GIANT In Us

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.