Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,801 members, 7,817,316 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:08 AM

Why Are Some Christians So Judgemental? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Are Some Christians So Judgemental? (790 Views)

Why Are Some Christians So Obsessed With Islam. / Some Muslims Will Make Heaven While Some Christians Will Not. / Why Do Some Christians Hate To Pay Their Tithes? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Some Christians So Judgemental? by caramel007(f): 6:28pm On Nov 27, 2013
Why are some christians so judgemental?

I went to my friend's house sometimes back. It was on a weekend, I think a saturday and the weather was very hot. Since we didn't have light in my neighbourhood and she had light in theirs, I decided to kill two birds with one stone. Seeing my dear friend and of course charging my phone.

Since, it was a very hot afternoon or rather should I say evening, I wore a short gown to see her. When I got to her house, after the usual pleasantries et al , she exclaimed "why did you wear this attire of sin to my house?! Don't ever wear this kind of dress to my house again!"

I felt bad and hurt too but I managed to mask that emotion with my usual jovial and boisterous manner. But I must confess I felt really bad about that statement considering the fact that her sisters were there. It wasn't the best approach in my opinion.

Which led me to the above question. I think that's the problem with some christians. If Jesus can dine in the house of Zacheaus, I wonder how hard it is to accept another individual even though their opinion differs from theirs? Or perhaps I was wrong in wearing that dress? Apart from the length, which wasn't too short if you ask me, it wasn't in anyway indecent.

Perhaps she is acting on the 'do not be unevenly yoked with unbelievers' verse? If christians do not relate with unbelievers, is it with those that have been saved already. How else are we going to propagate the gospel of christ if we don't want to be associated with people in 'attires of sin' like me?

I'm a christian, so this is not a christian bashing thread. I love my God and my fellow christians as well and muslims too!
Re: Why Are Some Christians So Judgemental? by vickyO(f): 6:34pm On Nov 27, 2013
No mind them. Some of them are just wired that way. It doesn't make them right though.
But how short was the gown? beyond your fingertips or above?
Re: Why Are Some Christians So Judgemental? by Demainman1: 6:42pm On Nov 27, 2013
vickyO: No mind them. Some of them are just wired that way. It doesn't make them right though.
But how short was the gown? beyond your fingertips or above?

Any bible quote to support the bolded? wink
Re: Why Are Some Christians So Judgemental? by vickyO(f): 6:43pm On Nov 27, 2013
Demain_man:

Any bible quote to support the bolded? wink
Did I say it was a sin
undecided
Re: Why Are Some Christians So Judgemental? by Demainman1: 6:47pm On Nov 27, 2013
vickyO:
Did I say it was a sin
undecided

Does it then matter if it is beyond your fingertips or above? What is the significance of that question?
Re: Why Are Some Christians So Judgemental? by vickyO(f): 6:49pm On Nov 27, 2013
Demain_man:

Does it then matter if it is beyond your fingertips or above? What is the significance of that question?
Just chill... Let her respond. One step at a time
Re: Why Are Some Christians So Judgemental? by Demainman1: 6:53pm On Nov 27, 2013
vickyO:
Just chill... Let her respond. One step at a time

I just like the interaction on the Religion section. It really makes my day!
Re: Why Are Some Christians So Judgemental? by vickyO(f): 6:58pm On Nov 27, 2013
Okay.......... I must agree with you on the bolded. smiley
Demain_man:

I just like the interaction on the Religion section. It really makes my day!
Re: Why Are Some Christians So Judgemental? by Enegod(m): 8:00pm On Nov 27, 2013
women....smh!!!
Re: Why Are Some Christians So Judgemental? by Nobody: 10:28pm On Nov 27, 2013
She was doing eyeservice because her sisters were there.
Re: Why Are Some Christians So Judgemental? by Nobody: 1:21pm On Nov 29, 2013
Well, they are because they're supposed to be. Christians are like a screen here on earth. They discriminate between what is Christ and what isn't.

Your friend might have been a little undiplomatic but diplomacy and "allowance" and "compromise" are dangerous tools of engagement for Christians in today's world. You can tell by the depth and extent of moral depravity today. It wasn't always fashionable to talk about one-night stands, for instance. Today, it's so common that in some climes kicking against it makes the kicker little more than comic relief.

This is not a matter of differing opinions. Subjectivity is worth something only within the framework of objective standards. So, what is the Christian standard for dressing? That is the question. The Christian standard is the framework within which we can have different opinions that do not contradict each other. Outside of this standard, Christians will call one another to order with as little accommodation for temptation as possible. These days are not days when Christians should be too hung up on diplomacy. That doesn't mean that they should dispense with it entirely, it just means that they should be very wise about employing it.

How someone else feels about or receives something about you is not necessarily the issue here though, you should note. We Christians are not here to please one another. We are here to keep one another in check and encourage each one toward the prize of the on-high calling. So it isn't how she feels about the dress or what she said that should worry you, it is why she is offended. Is there something about Christ that you're either missinf or ignoring that she is calling your attention to? You're both believers and friends, as you say, why don't you deal with the issue likewise?
Re: Why Are Some Christians So Judgemental? by Nobody: 1:35pm On Nov 29, 2013
One more thing. Christians must not refuse to associate with unbelievers however morally depraved they are. They should deal with them when the opportunity arises. As we associate with unbelievers some are saved. But Christians are clearly instructed in the Scriptures - and reason agrees - that they should refuse association with so-called Christians who trample all over Christian standards.

That was why Paul told the Corinthians to come together and pronounce judgment on the man among them fornicating with his father's wife and later he told Titus to rebuke a heretic twice and then have nothing to do with him after.

We are all called to higher moral standards in Christ. It is impossible to believe that one has responded to that call and still prefers lower standards. The "harsh" treatment causes a crisis of will for the erring one. He or she is forced to really decide where they belong - to Christ and His High Standards or to the world and its rejection of standards. That is how the Church is purified everyday by the Holy Ghost.

Accommodating contrary standards in the Church is why we are so confused today and there is so much sin and little faith.
Re: Why Are Some Christians So Judgemental? by Candour(m): 1:57pm On Nov 29, 2013
If we Christians will be sincere, there's actually balance in the word of God that should reflect in our individual lives. The world we live in today abhors absolutes and that is why we have become so compromised that every and anything can be rationalised.

Christian dressing, relationships, eating etc must be done with the knowledge that our lives are open books that the world should read so they can be brought to salvation in Christ.

We have liberty in Christ but its liberty that comes with responsibility to shine as light in a crooked world. Its not liberty to please ourselves whenever, wherever and however we deem fit.

Apostle Paul said 'all things are lawful for me but not all things are expedient'. If we truly seek to please God and not ourselves, I think we should adopt this stance of the great apostle.

Let us always remember that Grace is not license

(1) (Reply)

I Shall Adopt A New Religion In 7days Time / Pastor E.a Adeboye Warns Against False Testimonies Of Heaven And Hell / TB Joshua Prophecies For 2014

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.