Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,853 members, 7,810,281 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:15 AM

Price Of Foreign Rice May Crash As FG Plans Tariff Cut - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Price Of Foreign Rice May Crash As FG Plans Tariff Cut (10061 Views)

Local Rice Or Foreign Rice? / The Price Of A Bottle Of Heineken Is Too High In Nigeria. Protest Here !!. / The Price Of Garri (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Price Of Foreign Rice May Crash As FG Plans Tariff Cut by thewarrior72: 10:56am On Nov 28, 2013
This back-and-forth policy is the major reason this country had not moved forward. undecided
Re: Price Of Foreign Rice May Crash As FG Plans Tariff Cut by JulianBond007: 11:04am On Nov 28, 2013
Rice is expensive, Nigerians complain. Government wants to slash the price of rice, the same set of Nigerians still complain. Can you ever do anything to please Nigerians? I don't think so. We nigerians are the architect of our problems.
Re: Price Of Foreign Rice May Crash As FG Plans Tariff Cut by Arosa(m): 11:08am On Nov 28, 2013
That means to say food go come dey ground yanfu yanfu.
Re: Price Of Foreign Rice May Crash As FG Plans Tariff Cut by Bizibi(m): 11:09am On Nov 28, 2013
Aigbofa:

Any job creation policy without stable power supply and good transportation system is a ruse. A big lie.
Not many industrialists can afford to build their own power plants like Dangote.
And the Nigerian customs is doing far more damage than the so called cabals. In fact you can even call them the cabal.
I agree,customs are part of the problem
Re: Price Of Foreign Rice May Crash As FG Plans Tariff Cut by NigerianAsshole(f): 11:13am On Nov 28, 2013
story story
Re: Price Of Foreign Rice May Crash As FG Plans Tariff Cut by shevon: 11:17am On Nov 28, 2013
No worry, the same will be applied to Cars by the time 'awon boys' flood the country with smuggled cars next year. tongue
Re: Price Of Foreign Rice May Crash As FG Plans Tariff Cut by DONKEN2(m): 11:33am On Nov 28, 2013
This government is always clueless how do u expect such policy to work when u don't produce rice in substantial quantity .This govt is always coming out wit policies that take money to other counties economy,this will still be the case of the tariff increase in cars too ,our govt should take a clue from Dubia by making our port a free zone so as to attract commerce and trade to our economy till we are self sufficient enough to produce our own.
Re: Price Of Foreign Rice May Crash As FG Plans Tariff Cut by Bash92(m): 11:47am On Nov 28, 2013
Tadon200: FG definately drinking ogogoro.
You mean GEJ
Re: Price Of Foreign Rice May Crash As FG Plans Tariff Cut by umole: 11:51am On Nov 28, 2013
FG should encourage local production of rice. This will provide employment opportunity and in the long run Nigeria will be exporter of rice
Re: Price Of Foreign Rice May Crash As FG Plans Tariff Cut by curtain: 12:08pm On Nov 28, 2013
good plans for the yuletide period when demand would be very high, however we need to start parboiling our local rice and improve its packaging to discourage its importation.
Re: Price Of Foreign Rice May Crash As FG Plans Tariff Cut by Adagba1: 12:10pm On Nov 28, 2013
JulianBond007: Rice is expensive, Nigerians complain. Government wants to slash the price of rice, the same set of Nigerians still complain. Can you ever do anything to please Nigerians? I don't think so. We nigerians are the architect of our problems.
Nobody is complaining it is only the 40 laptops that are complaining because of their Ogas misadventures.
Re: Price Of Foreign Rice May Crash As FG Plans Tariff Cut by stephenponti(m): 12:12pm On Nov 28, 2013
The same Otondo policy is bundled out to fully built cars to enrich Benin Ports and smugglers.
Somebody should tell Okonjo MAda*ss to revoke the hike on duty for fully built cars.
Re: Price Of Foreign Rice May Crash As FG Plans Tariff Cut by ignis: 12:29pm On Nov 28, 2013
What about local rice?
Re: Price Of Foreign Rice May Crash As FG Plans Tariff Cut by Sallychizzl3: 12:36pm On Nov 28, 2013
Hmmmmnn.... GEJ no get brain n he's being surrounded by confused fools. What's d essence of hikin or slashing tarrifs if there is no price control
I doubt dis slash will bring about any change.
Re: Price Of Foreign Rice May Crash As FG Plans Tariff Cut by Kaminus: 1:11pm On Nov 28, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
I doubt if there is any way you can introduce such policies without having hiccups and shocks or challenges. There is already high quality locally milled rice in the market and its cheaper too. The propaganda and outcry against the policy is being orchestrated by rice importing cabals. Govt should not allow them to succeed. The Nigeria Customs should brace up and face the challenges of smuggling.

As for the automative policy, I think it is good to go. There is always Innoson and other locally made brands for Nigerians to fall back upon. But the policy should be accompanied by car loan policy.

We cannot complain of lack of jobs and at the same attack and KILL every policy targeted at unleashing jobs in the system. The unemployed and the very poor in the society do not buy cars, neither do they import foreign rice. What the poor and unemployed need is jobs, jobs and more jobs.
yhu re good and wise. God bless yhu more joor
Re: Price Of Foreign Rice May Crash As FG Plans Tariff Cut by AbuMikey(m): 1:20pm On Nov 28, 2013

PDPiiiiiiiiii

Re: Price Of Foreign Rice May Crash As FG Plans Tariff Cut by deandavid(m): 1:21pm On Nov 28, 2013
i never see that ofada rice for my life once sef. how does it look like? what is the colour of the bag? do they have big size? is it in igbudu market(Warri biggest market for food stuff)? walahi ofada rice and all the local rice no fit feed even lagos population sef, talk more of the whole country.
if Jonathan get sense make he listen to my advise;
1. set up a rice board in the minstry of agric.
2. note all the states and areas in Nigeria that can grow rice well
3. encourage farmers by giving them maximum support, if possible, bring oyibo come sef
4. encourage the youths to go into farming, by training some interested youths and equipping them with seeds, land and all they need to succeed(me am interested, and i know no less than 1million youth will be interested)
5. set up rice packaging industries close to the farm
6. watch the production, for 2 years and see the local rice is doing, (everybody like good things,the local rice is better and richer than the foreign 10 years old rice, the local rice must sell, just package am well)
11. after ensuring that the local production can feed 80% of our population, then jack the importation watever to 500%, na ur country, nobody go qtns u

1 Like

Re: Price Of Foreign Rice May Crash As FG Plans Tariff Cut by SIRJENTLE: 1:40pm On Nov 28, 2013
MY OWN SIMPLE ADVICE TO OUR POLICY MAKERS:

INCREASING IMPORTATION DUTY ON ANY GOODS/COMMODITY CAN NOT BOOST LOCAL PRODUCTION NOR STOP NIGERIANS FROM BUYING THEM,INSTEAD, IT WILL INCREASE THE DEMAND BECAUSE OF OUR MENTALITY THAT THE HIGHER THE PRICE THE HIGHER THE QUALITY.

IF YOU WANT TO BOOST LOCAL PRODUCTION: LOOK FOR WAYS TO EMPOWER AND ENCOURAGE OUR LOCAL/ INDIGENOUS PRODUCERS.
HAVE YOU NOT NOTICED THAT LOCALLY PRODUCED GOODS ARE COSTLY THAN IMPORTED GOODS.
HAVE WE TRIED TO FIND OUT WHY IT IS SO?
MAKE A LITTLE RESEARCH AND KNOW THE TRUTH.

1 Like

Re: Price Of Foreign Rice May Crash As FG Plans Tariff Cut by tabisegroup(m): 1:51pm On Nov 28, 2013
KwoiZabo: The same thing will happen in the car import tariff. People will resort to smuggling and all the revenue will shift to benin republic as usual.
Benin repúblic is criously benefiting Frm Nigeriaz corrupción
Re: Price Of Foreign Rice May Crash As FG Plans Tariff Cut by unmask: 2:12pm On Nov 28, 2013
Dblack:

Well said, but the cause of this forward and backward policy is poor planning. FG should have given a 5yrs plan whr they encourage millers and farmers of paddy rice by creating a market for them. Then gradually increase tarriff of imported rice. Once the standard are almost same people will ordinarily buy local rice because of price difference.

I really don't knw who is advising GEJ, the automotive policy is also dead on arrival.
This has been my point to all their tarrif increase policies......the local produce doesn't have the same quality as those imported, yet they don't deem it fit to up the quality of local produce before placing a tarrif......same with the cars......get assembly plants in the country, subject them to strict safety rules once we have cars that have reached a certain level of acceptability in the country, then increase the import duty........
Re: Price Of Foreign Rice May Crash As FG Plans Tariff Cut by ceejay80s(m): 3:14pm On Nov 28, 2013
Tarríff for xmas chicken go crash too ? Abi dem think say we be fowl wey lìke ríce
Re: Price Of Foreign Rice May Crash As FG Plans Tariff Cut by Raphvizzy(m): 7:48pm On Nov 28, 2013
the price of local rice is more expensive in Edo state than foreign rice I hope this is done so that those farmers come to their senses
Re: Price Of Foreign Rice May Crash As FG Plans Tariff Cut by Raphvizzy(m): 7:50pm On Nov 28, 2013
SIR JENTLE: MY OWN SIMPLE ADVICE TO OUR POLICY MAKERS:

INCREASING IMPORTATION DUTY ON ANY GOODS/COMMODITY CAN NOT BOOST LOCAL PRODUCTION NOR STOP NIGERIANS FROM BUYING THEM,INSTEAD, IT WILL INCREASE THE DEMAND BECAUSE OF OUR MENTALITY THAT THE HIGHER THE PRICE THE HIGHER THE QUALITY.

IF YOU WANT TO BOOST LOCAL PRODUCTION: LOOK FOR WAYS TO EMPOWER AND ENCOURAGE OUR LOCAL/ INDIGENOUS PRODUCERS.
HAVE YOU NOT NOTICED THAT LOCALLY PRODUCED GOODS ARE COSTLY THAN IMPORTED GOODS.
HAVE WE TRIED TO FIND OUT WHY IT IS SO?
MAKE A LITTLE RESEARCH AND KNOW THE TRUTH.
and its very annoying why do this foreign goods sell cheaper than the locally made once
Re: Price Of Foreign Rice May Crash As FG Plans Tariff Cut by kolexy(m): 8:18pm On Nov 28, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
I doubt if there is any way you can introduce such policies without having hiccups and shocks or challenges. There is already high quality locally milled rice in the market and its cheaper too. The propaganda and outcry against the policy is being orchestrated by rice importing cabals. Govt should not allow them to succeed. The Nigeria Customs should brace up and face the challenges of smuggling.

As for the automative policy, I think it is good to go. There is always Innoson and other locally made brands for Nigerians to fall back upon. But the policy should be accompanied by car loan policy.

We cannot complain of lack of jobs and at the same attack and KILL every policy targeted at unleashing jobs in the system. The unemployed and the very poor in the society do not buy cars, neither do they import foreign rice. What the poor and unemployed need is jobs, jobs and more jobs.

Which other locally made brand do we have in Nigeria? Do you want to create another monopoly?
Re: Price Of Foreign Rice May Crash As FG Plans Tariff Cut by LADIbaba(m): 10:19am On Nov 29, 2013
just extremely confused as to why the price of local rice is more expensive that the imported brand.
It appears we have a lot of r-etards heading this country or there is a deal with Benin republic (which we don't know) on empowerment and enriching their government/ ports authority. Maybe that's why things are banned without much thoughts in this country. Matter of time, they would reverse the ban on imported car policy after they loose billions or trillions to Benin as usual

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is It True That Pounded Yam Makes One So Fat? / What You Can Eat/drink To Shrink Fibroid Without Regrowth 07065486053 / You Need Free Services Of Our Chinese Food,Is Now Available For You To Pick On

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.