Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,636 members, 7,820,231 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:53 AM

Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ - Religion (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ (94047 Views)

Where Does God Lives Before The Creation Of The Heaven And The Earth? / In The Beginning God Created The Heaven And The Earth. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:08am On Dec 10, 2017
Faint Not
December 9, 2017

"For consider him that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds" (Hebrews 12:3).

The Christian life and ministry can grow wearisome and hard at times, but with Christ Himself as our example, the Lord admonishes us not to faint but always to press on.

If our prayers seem to go unanswered, He reminds us that "men ought always to pray, and not to faint" (Luke 18:1). When we grow tired and are tempted to quit, the Scriptures assure us that "in due season we shall reap, if we faint not" (Galatians 6:9).

When God has entrusted us with a certain ministry, we need to learn to say, as with Paul, "Therefore seeing we have this ministry, as we have received mercy, we faint not" (2 Corinthians 4:1). As we see God's mercy-drops of blessing begin to fall, we then can say, as he did, "For which cause we faint not; but though our outward man perish, yet the inward man is renewed day by day" (2 Corinthians 4:16). We can even encourage others to faint not, as he did: "Wherefore I desire that ye faint not at my tribulations for you, which is your glory" (Ephesians 3:13).

The same Greek word is translated "weary" in 2 Thessalonians 3:13: "Be not weary in well doing." Finally, even when God has to rebuke us, we must learn to take it patiently. "Despise not thou the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when thou art rebuked of him" (Hebrews 12:5).

But with all these strong exhortations to faint not, we also need to know just how we can obtain the needed strength to keep on keeping on. The answer is in God's great counsel to Isaiah: "They that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint" (Isaiah 40:31). HMM

For more . . . .
Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:53am On Dec 12, 2017
Blessed Is He
December 10, 2017

"Blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered. Blessed is the man unto whom the LORD imputeth not iniquity" (Psalm 32:1-2).

What true believer is there who is not eternally thankful for the truths found in today's verse? Sins of omission, sins of commission, sins of deliberate action, sins of the heart, youthful sins, covert sins, "big" sins, "little" sins, etc. What a thrill to know that the penalty for our sins has been paid in full if we but accept His free gift. What rejoicing and freedom forgiveness brings.

Note that there are three different expressions for wrongdoing in today's verse—transgression, sin, and iniquity. The differences in these words are not insignificant, but precise differentiation is beyond the scope of this discussion. Suffice it to say that they can be understood to mean the whole gamut of sinful activity.

Likewise, there are three separate aspects of God's forgiving grace mentioned: "forgiven . . . covered . . . not imputed." In every way possible, our sin is removed from us, and no more payment is necessary.

However, God's forgiveness must be conditioned on the individual's action. A lack of action results in the bearing of the sin, the guilt, and the consequences, again specified in a threefold manner. "My bones waxed old . . . my roaring . . . thy hand was heavy upon me" (vv. 3-4).

In keeping with the pattern of the psalm, three such actions are mentioned. "I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the LORD" (v. 5). The result? "And thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin."

Because of all this, we should have a threefold response: "Be glad in the LORD, and rejoice, ye righteous: and shout for joy, all ye that are upright in heart" (v. 11). JDM

For more . . . .
Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:43pm On Dec 15, 2017
Without Natural Affection
December 11, 2017

"Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful" (Romans 1:31).

The phrase "without natural affection" is the translation of one Greek word, astergeo. It was a characteristic of many pagans of the ancient world. Significantly, it is also prophesied to be a characteristic of the humanistic pagans of the end-times. "In the last days . . . men shall be . . . without natural affection" (2 Timothy 3:1-3). These are the only two occurrences of this word in the New Testament.

The word stergeo (“natural affection”) is one of four Greek words for "love," but it is never used at all in the New Testament. It refers to the natural love that members of the same family have for each other. It is such a common characteristic of all peoples that there was apparently no occasion to refer to it at all—except when it is not present, when people lose their instinctive love for their own parents and children and thus are "without natural affection." One thinks of the widespread abortion of these last days, as well as the modern breakdown of the family in general.

Another Greek word for "love" is eros, referring to romantic love, or passion. Like stergeo, eros also is never used in the New Testament. The other two words, however, are used frequently. Phileo, referring to "brotherly love," occurs over 30 times. It indicates fondness, based on a community of interest with the person or persons so loved.

The fourth "love" word, of course, is agape, which is used over 300 times. This is the type of love called out of one's heart by the preciousness of the object loved, the love that impels one to sacrifice his own interests for the benefit of the person loved. This is the love of Christ, who "loved me, and gave himself for me" (Galatians 2:20). And this is the love generated by the Holy Spirit in the believer, for "the fruit of the Spirit is love" (Galatians 5:22). HMM

For more . . . .
Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:00pm On Dec 18, 2017
A New Name
December 12, 2017

"He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it" (Revelation 2:17).

This intriguing promise is one of seven promises in Christ's letters to seven representative churches—promises made "to him that overcometh." Although there are various opinions as to who constitute these overcomers, 1 John 5:4 would indicate that "whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith."

On this assumption, all who have been truly born again through faith in Christ will someday be given a new name by their Lord. No one will know what his new name will be until he receives it, and even then it may remain unknown to everyone else.

It would be reasonable to assume, however, that each new name will reflect the Lord's evaluation of the character and service of the one who receives it. We have the primitive examples of Abram, Sarai, and Jacob being given new names by God, perhaps to serve as types of this coming investiture. Abram became "Abraham" (meaning "Father of Multitudes",) Sarai became "Sarah" (meaning "Princess",) and Jacob became "Israel" (meaning "Prevailing Prince with God".) See Genesis 17:5, 15; 32:28.

Whatever each of our new names will turn out to be, our Saviour will also know them, of course, and this will perhaps be how we will be addressed by Him from then on in the new earth. This should be a great incentive to godly living and faithful service here on this present earth, for we surely desire to receive a good name there from our Lord on the future earth. HMM

For more . . . .
Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:27am On Dec 19, 2017
What Paul Knew
December 14, 2017

"And if any man think that he knoweth any thing, he knoweth nothing yet as he ought to know" (1 Corinthians 8:2).

There are many things that none of us can know—not even the apostle Paul. Yet even with his realistic modesty, there are certain key truths that Paul could affirm with certainty, and so can we on the same grounds as he.

One essential thing each of us should know first of all is this: "I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing" (Romans 7:18). A person needs to know that he is a lost and hopeless sinner before he will ever really come to Christ for salvation.

Once a lost sinner does receive Christ as Saviour, however, he then should be able to declare with Paul the certainty of his own salvation. "For I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day" (2 Timothy 1:12).

The Christian life, once begun, is not necessarily easy. With Paul, in fact, it involved "labours more abundant, in stripes above measure, in prisons more frequent, . . . In weariness and painfulness, in watchings often, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and unclothedness" (2 Corinthians 11:23, 27). Yet he could say with confidence, "We know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose" (Romans 8:28).

Because of such an assurance, he could also say, "I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content. I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound" (Philippians 4:11-12). Whatever life might bring, it could never shake his certainty of the life to come. "For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens" (2 Corinthians 5:1). HMM

For more . . . .
Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:17pm On Dec 20, 2017
Old Testament Prophecy
December 15, 2017

"Of which salvation the prophets have enquired and searched diligently, who prophesied of the grace that should come unto you" (1 Peter 1:10).

Our verse today and the verses that follow tell us a good deal about Old Testament prophecy and, rightly understood, answer many of the questions raised by modern "scholars" who scoff at the divine authorship of Scripture.

First, we can see that much prophecy was devoted to the theme of "the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow" (v. 11), long before the events took (or will take) place. That these prophecies were not mere human contrivances is seen in the claim that they were due to "the Spirit of Christ which was in them."

Furthermore, the prophets themselves didn't fully understand what they were writing. For instance, Isaiah wrote both of the glory of the coming Messiah (chapter 11) and His sufferings and death (chapter 53) with no indication that he knew how to put the two together. Peter claims the prophets "enquired and searched diligently" (1 Peter 1:10) "what, or what manner of time" (v. 11) these things would come to pass. Indeed, even "the angels desire to look into" (v. 12) these mysterious passages and doctrines.

Finally, the prophets evidently knew that the mysterious prophecies were not for them to understand but for us to understand (v. 12). Much of what so puzzled them has been revealed to us "by them that have preached the gospel unto you with the Holy Ghost sent down from heaven" (v. 12).

Because of the ultimate authorship by the Holy Spirit, and the eventual explanation by the same Spirit, these prophecies have never failed. They provide irrefutable evidence for the inspiration of Scripture, clear reasons to trust in the message of Scripture, and a grounded faith in the consummation of God's plan for the ages. JDM

For more . . . .
Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:21am On Dec 21, 2017
God Is Faithful
December 16, 2017

"God is faithful, by whom ye were called unto the fellowship of his Son Jesus Christ our Lord" (1 Corinthians 1:9).

When we place our trust in Jesus Christ as omnipotent Creator and gracious Redeemer, He then faithfully undertakes to provide everything we need to live an effective, fruitful, victorious Christian life.

For example, when we are tempted to sin or are tested in any other way, "God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it" (1 Corinthians 10:13). In this connection, He undertakes to ground us firmly in His truth and to keep us from moral and spiritual harm. "The Lord is faithful, who shall stablish you, and keep you from evil" (2 Thessalonians 3:3).

When we do sin, however, He assures us that "if we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness" (1 John 1:9). With all our failings, He has undertaken to eventually perfect us in Christ, and He faithfully will continue this until it is done. "And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; . . . Faithful is he that calleth you, who also will do it" (1 Thessalonians 5:23-24).

All that He has promised, He will do. Even when we are unfaithful to Him, He remains faithful to us. "If we believe not [that is, ‘are unfaithful’], yet he abideth faithful: he cannot deny himself" (2 Timothy 2:13).

Today's verse above, assuring us of God's faithfulness, follows the promise that He will "confirm you unto the end, that ye may be blameless in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ" (1 Corinthians 1:8.) Therefore, we seek also to be faithful. "Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised)" (Hebrews 10:23). HMM

For more . . . .
Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:53am On Dec 23, 2017
An Answer in Suffering
December 18, 2017

"But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear." (1 Peter 3:15).

The words of this verse have much to say concerning a ministry such as ICR's and have been oft-discussed in these pages. In short, they consist of a mandate to be always prepared to give a systematic, logical (scientific, if necessary) defense of one's faith, with the proper motives and attitudes, of course. Let us today place the verse in its immediate context, verses 13 through 17.

Normally one would not expect opposition for doing good, but such a situation must be expected, particularly if a person is a zealous follower of good (as in v. 13). Such a person is enthusiastic about his cause, not in an irrational way, but a wholehearted way. This intimidates and infuriates those who "loved darkness . . . because their deeds were evil" (John 3:19).

"But and if ye suffer for righteousness' sake, happy are ye" (1 Peter 3:14). Our natural response of fear need not overtake us, for Peter warns us to be prepared, and he gives several commands. First, "sanctify the Lord God in your hearts" (v. 15). He must occupy the supreme position in our hearts. Next, we must "be ready always" with our defense. This implies forethought, study, and preparation. Lastly, he insists we must maintain "a good conscience" (v. 16), a lifestyle so pure and blameless that any accusations will be to the shame of the accusers.

It may be, however, that in spite of our walk with the Lord, our preparation, and lifestyle, unjust persecution may come. It may be in “the will of God” (v. 17) for us. If so, so be it, "for it is better . . . that ye suffer for well doing than for evil doing." JDM

For more . . . .

Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:59pm On Dec 23, 2017
The Divine/Human Word
December 19, 2017

"God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets, Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son." (Hebrews 1:1-2).

The title of the Word of God is given both to Jesus Christ as the living Word (John 1:1-3; Revelation 19:13) and to the Holy Scriptures as the written Word (Ephesians 6:17; Hebrews 4:12; etc.). They are so perfectly synchronous that what is said of one can usually be applied also to the other.

Both are human, yet without error; both are divine, yet can be comprehended by man. "God was manifest in the flesh" (1 Timothy 3:16). "Holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost" (2 Peter 1:21). "In him is no sin" (1 John 3:5), "the Scripture cannot be broken," and "all Scripture . . . is profitable" (John 10:35; 2 Timothy 3:16).

Furthermore, each is eternal. "Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever" (Hebrews 13:8.) "For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven" (Psalm 119:89).

Each brings regeneration and everlasting life to all those who believe. "He saved us, by the washing of regeneration . . . through Jesus Christ our Saviour" (Titus 3:5-6). "God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son" (1 John 5:11). "Being born again . . . by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever" (1 Peter 1:23). "Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me" (John 5:39).

Finally, judgment comes by both Christ and the Scriptures. "The Father . . . hath committed all judgment unto the Son" (John 5:22). "The dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books" (Revelation 20:12). Both Christ and the Bible are vitally important to each Christian and must be studied, understood, known, loved, trusted, and relied upon in every human endeavor. HMM

For more . . . .
Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:37pm On Dec 26, 2017
Thanks for the Greatest Gift
December 25, 2017

"Thanks be unto God for His unspeakable gift." (2 Corinthians 9:15).

We who have known and sought to follow the Lord for many years have received many, many blessings for which to thank Him. "Blessed be the Lord, who daily loadeth us with benefits" (Psalm 68:19), we can pray again and again.

But there is one blessing that is so great that it cannot even be put into words—it is unspeakable! That gift is so great that when we try to comprehend it, the sense of awe and gratitude becomes so overwhelming (or at least should become so overwhelming) that our joy is also unspeakable—indescribable! That gift, of course, is the gift of the Lord Jesus Christ as our Redeemer and Saviour, "whom having not seen, ye love; in whom, though now ye see him not, . . . ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory" (1 Peter 1:8.)

It is significant that the Greek word translated "unspeakable" occurs only these two times in the entire New Testament. God's unspeakable gift to us produces unspeakable joy in us. We who deserve nothing but eternal separation from God in hell, instead will enjoy eternal life with God in heaven, and all because of that amazing and truly inexpressible gift!

To think that the mighty Creator, God the Son, would not only humble Himself to become His own creature, man, but then also suffer the unimaginable agony of the cross and separation from God the Father in order to deliver us from the just penalty of sin! This act speaks of such love and grace that all we can do is whisper softly, "Thank you, Lord, for this unspeakable gift," and then shout it over and over again in our hearts wherever we go and share its unspeakable joy and blessing with whomever will listen to its message. "The LORD hath done great things for us; whereof we are glad" (Psalm 126:3). Thank you, Lord! HMM

For more . . . .
Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:46pm On Dec 29, 2017
Never Ashamed
December 26, 2017

"For the Scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed." (Romans 10:11).

Just where does the Scripture say this? Paul is apparently quoting here from Isaiah 28:16, which is the following: "Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD, Behold, I lay in Zion for a foundation a stone, a tried stone, a precious corner stone, a sure foundation: he that believeth shall not make haste."

The question is: Why did Paul change the Hebrew word for "make haste" to the Greek word for "be ashamed"? He did the same thing in Romans 9:33. "As it is written, Behold, I lay in Zion a stumblingstone and rock of offence: and whosoever believeth on Him shall not be ashamed." This verse makes the question even more involved because here Paul combines the quote with Isaiah 8:14: "And he shall be for a sanctuary; but for a stone of stumbling and for a rock of offence." Note also 1 Peter 2:6-8, which combines both verses with Psalm 118:22: “The stone which the builders refused is become the head stone of the corner.”

The Greek Septuagint translation apparently rendered "make haste" (which is the correct meaning of the Hebrew word, as confirmed by all its other uses in the Old Testament) by a Greek word meaning something like "put to shame." More importantly, however, these passages illustrate the truth that the Holy Spirit (the real Author of the Bible) has a perfect right to interpret His writing however He will. And He interpreted “make haste” to mean "be ashamed."

That is, when we believe on Christ, we never need to flee in haste from His enemies, for we can never be put to shame when anchored on this sure foundation. As the Lord said in another passage: "They shall not be ashamed that wait for me" (Isaiah 49:23). HMM

For more . . . .
Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:54pm On Jan 04, 2018
Jesus Christ: Creator
December 27, 2017

"For by Him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by Him, and for Him." (Colossians 1:16).

The Old Testament uses several names for the One who created. For example: "For thus saith the LORD [i.e., Jehovah] that created the heavens; God himself that formed the earth and made it" (Isaiah 45:18). But the New Testament leaves no doubt as to who the Creator is.

Today's verse states it clearly. The "Him" in context is the Father's "dear Son" (v. 13) who shed "His blood" (v. 14). Similarly, the favourite passage in John 1:3 identifies Christ as the Creator: "All things were made by Him; and without Him was not any thing made that was made." "He was in the world, and the world was made by Him" (v. 10). "The Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us" (v. 14). No member of the human race nor member of the Trinity fits this description except Jesus Christ. "God . . . hath in these last days spoken unto us by His Son, whom He hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also He made the worlds" (Hebrews 1:1-2).

Jesus Christ is the Creator, and once He put on human form, His creative abilities continued to find application. Several of His miracles involved creation out of nothing. Note the feeding of the 5,000 (John 6:10-11), the transformation of water into wine (John 2:9-11), and bringing life from non-life—the raising of Lazarus (John 11:43-44), just to name a few.

Perhaps the most important creative act of Christ is one He performs on repentant sinners every day. "Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new" (2 Corinthians 5:17). JDM

For more . . . .
Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by noblefrank31(m): 8:08am On Jan 05, 2018
»» Are Weary And Tired Of Life? Jesus Wants To Do A New Thing In Your Life Today! See Powerful Prayer Points For Instant Breakthroughs And Miracles!
Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:12pm On Jan 06, 2018
The Name of the Lord Jesus
December 28, 2017

"And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins." (Matthew 1:21).

This is the first of 144 references to the name of Christ in the New Testament. The word "name" (Greek noma) occurs only about 95 times when referring to any or all other names. This fact is itself a sort of commentary on Philippians 2:9: "God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name."

In biblical times, a person's name expressed the character or attributes desired for a child by his or her parents. The reason for the name "JESUS," which means "Jehovah saves" or simply "salvation," was given by the angel: "He shall save his people from their sins."

There is only one Savior, “for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved” (Acts 4:12); but His name does save! "As many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name" (John 1:12).

Those who do receive Christ are thenceforth associated with His name—and therefore with His person and work. First, they are to be baptized "in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost" (Matthew 28:19). They are then to order their lives in a way that honors His name. "Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity" (2 Timothy 2:19).

He has given many gracious promises of answered prayer if we pray in His name, "that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you" (John 15:16). The final use of "name" in the Bible stresses our eternal identification with His name, for "his name shall be in their foreheads" (Revelation 22:4) as we are united with Him in the age to come. HMM

For more . . . .
Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:54am On Feb 06, 2018
OLAADEGBU:

Beware of Balaam

February 6, 2017

"O my people, remember now what Balak king of Moab consulted, and what Balaam the son of Beor answered him from Shittim unto Gilgal; that ye may know the righteousness of the LORD" (Micah 6:5)

Three New Testament writers have left us sober warnings concerning Balaam. Peter warned against "the way of Balaam"; Jude against "the error of Balaam"; and John against "the doctrine of Balaam" (2 Peter 2:15; Jude 1:11; Revelation 2:14). God evidently considers these warnings necessary and appropriate for Christians even today. Yet Balaam, in his day, was a genuine prophet (note 2 Peter 2:16), possessed great knowledge concerning God, and even received direct revelations from God. What, therefore, were his way, his error, and his doctrine?

"The way of Balaam" was a readiness to prostitute his high spiritual gifts and privileges for "the wages of unrighteousness" (v. 15); being willing to preach something contrary to God's Word for personal gain.

"The error of Balaam" was evidently his willingness to compromise his own standards of morality and truth in order "greedily" to accommodate those of his pagan patrons (Jude 1:11). Finally, "the doctrine of Balaam," which even in John's day was already infiltrating the church, was to use his own teaching authority to persuade God's people that it was all right for them also to compromise their standards, even "to commit fornication" (Revelation 2:14) with their idol-worshipping enemies.

The notoriously corrupt state of much that is counterfeiting true Christian ministry today is clear evidence that those warnings against "Balaam-ism" are still urgently needed. No wonder Micah (the faithful prophet) urged God's people to "remember" Balaam and his tragic end (Numbers 31:8.) HMM

For more . . . .

Beware of Balaam
BY HENRY M. MORRIS, PH.D. | MONDAY, FEBRUARY 06, 2017
Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:55am On Feb 13, 2018
Seven Days
BY HENRY M. MORRIS, PH.D. | TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 13, 2018

"Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day: and he saw it, and was glad." (John 8:56).

Jesus spoke to the Pharisees about "my day"—a day that Abraham had "seen" 2,000 years before. This evidently referred to the time when Christ would be on Earth, which God had enabled Abraham to see in prophecy.

But of all the days when He was on the earth, the most glorious was the great day when He rose from the dead. "He hath raised up Jesus again; as it is also written in the second psalm, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee" (Acts 13:33).

As a result of His death and resurrection, "behold, now is the day of salvation" (2 Corinthians 6:2). The day of salvation is any day in this age of grace when a person believes on Christ for salvation. He then receives "the Holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption" (Ephesians 4:30). This great future day of redemption evidently is the same as "the day of Jesus Christ" (Philippians 1:6), when He comes again.

Following this is the fearful day of the Lord, when Christ will punish and judge and reign. "The day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night . . . and they shall not escape" (1 Thessalonians 5:2-3). It is also called "the great day of His wrath" (Revelation 6:17).

This day of the Lord will culminate at God's great white throne. This will be "the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God" (Romans 2:5).

Finally will come the eternal "day of God" when this present earth will be purified with fire and "we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness" (2 Peter 3:13). That day will never end, "for there shall be no night there" (Revelation 21:25). HMM

For more . . . .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:02pm On Feb 14, 2018
Love in the Old Testament
BY HENRY M. MORRIS, PH.D. | WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 14, 2018

"And Jacob served seven years for Rachel; and they seemed unto him but a few days, for the love he had to her." (Genesis 29:20).

It is well known that "love" in the New Testament almost always means unselfish agape love. The Greek word for sexual love or romantic love, eros, is never used at all in the New Testament. Even marital love is ideally agape love in its main expression, as in Paul's exhortation in Ephesians 5:25: "Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave Himself for it."

In the Old Testament, on the other hand, there are about a dozen different Hebrew words used for "love," and these often have wide variations in meaning, depending on context, often including romantic love as one of them. For example, Jacob's willingness to work for Laban seven years in order to obtain Rachel for his wife clearly must have involved a high degree of romantic love on his part. He also loved her sister Leah, after Laban insisted he marries her first, but "he loved also Rachel more than Leah" (Genesis 29:30).

Several different "love" words are used in the Song of Solomon, as Solomon and his bride frequently speak of their romantic love for each other. There is no doubt that God approves of such love when it is pure and true and involves self-sacrificing agape love as well. "Marriage is honourable in all, and the bed undefiled: but whoremongers and adulterers God will judge" (Hebrews 13:4). The word for "whoremonger," incidentally, is also often translated "fornicator" and can refer to any kind of sexual activity (some may call it "love," but this is a caricature) outside of monogamous, man-and-woman, lifelong marriage.

The greatest love of all, of course, in both Old and New Testaments, is God's love for the men and women He has created and redeemed. HMM

For more . . . .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:05pm On Feb 15, 2018
The Lively Oracles
BY HENRY M. MORRIS, PH.D. | THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 15, 2018

"This is he, that was in the church in the wilderness with the angel which spake to him in the mount Sina, and with our fathers: who received the lively oracles to give unto us." (Acts 7:38).

This pungent expression, "lively oracles," is the felicitous King James translation of zao logion, "utterances that are vibrantly alive." In Stephen's address, he was referring, of course, to the tables of the law, "written with the finger of God" (Exodus 31:18) and received by Moses on Mount Sinai directly from the Lord.

The Greek word logion is derived from logos (“word”) and occurs just four times. In the other three references, it appears in the phrase "oracles of God" (Romans 3:2; Hebrews 5:12; 1 Peter 4:11). These "oracles" are living words precisely because they do come from God. They include not only the Ten Commandments but all the Holy Scriptures.

The word "lively" is the Greek zao, occurring over 140 times and translated variously (depending on context) as "alive," "live," "living," "quick," etc. It is significant that it occurs, first of all, on the lips of Christ Himself when He said, "It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God" (Matthew 4:4). We are truly alive only through the life-giving words of the living God! "For the word [that is, each individual saying] of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword . . . and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart" (Hebrews 4:12).

The Bible is not just a book but the Book. Its content is "for ever . . . settled in heaven" (Psalm 119:89), "able to make thee wise unto salvation" (2 Timothy 3:15), and is "given by inspiration of God" (“God-breathed”) (2 Timothy 3:16). Its words must guide our very lives! HMM

For more . . . .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:26am On Feb 16, 2018
The Call of the Twelve
BY JOHN D. MORRIS, PH.D. | FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 16, 2018

"And he ordained twelve, that they should be with him, and that He might send them forth to preach." (Mark 3:14).

Early in His public ministry, Jesus gathered around Himself those to whom He would eventually entrust the Christian message. Many others had also been attracted to Him and His works, as indicated in the previous verse: "And he goeth up into a mountain, and calleth unto him whom he would [emphasis in the Greek is on he; the choice was His alone]: and they came unto him" (v. 13). Of those He invited, He "ordained twelve."

Such a momentous selection could not be taken lightly, and we should not pass over it either. Luke gives us further information: "He went out into a mountain to pray, and continued all night in prayer to God" (Luke 6:12) before choosing the twelve. As a sidelight, it bears mentioning that if God the Son so relied on the wisdom from God the Father before making an important decision, how can we neglect prayer as we so often do?

Four purposes are listed for these appointees, but the last three flow from the first: "That they should be with him." They would see Him in action, learn truth from Him, assist Him in His work; but most importantly they would see His character and habits, and would never be the same.

Part of their training included being sent out to put in practice what they had learned, "that he might send them forth to preach, and to have power to heal sicknesses, and to cast out devils" (Mark 3:14-15). He gave them a message to preach and the ability to authenticate that message.

A study of these disciples as revealed in the gospels makes one wonder if Jesus made a proper choice. However, in the book of Acts, once He was gone and the Holy Spirit empowered them, we recognize that their training was complete. We are the result of their effective ministry. JDM

For more . . . .
Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:37pm On Feb 18, 2018
Firstfruits
BY HENRY M. MORRIS, PH.D. | SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 17, 2018

"Honour the LORD with thy substance, and with the firstfruits of all thine increase." (Proverbs 3:9).

There are seven New Testament references to "firstfruits," all of which are metaphorical applications of the Old Testament commandment to offer the firstfruits of one's increase to the Lord. We now have to give our own firstfruits to the government in the form of "withheld" amounts from our wages. It is still good, nonetheless, to honour the Lord with the "firstfruits" equivalent of our increase, regardless of the government.

The New Testament references are all beautiful spiritual applications of this concept. At His resurrection, Christ Himself has "become the firstfruits of them that slept" (1 Corinthians 15:20). When we receive Christ, we receive our eternal salvation first of all in terms of "the firstfruits of the Spirit" (Romans 8:23). Furthermore, we ourselves are, to Him, a sort of firstfruits pledge of future growth. "Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures" (James 1:18).

This thought is also applied to the first converts of a new mission field. Paul speaks of "the firstfruits of Asia" (the western part of Asia Minor) and "the firstfruits of Achaia" (southern Greece) in Romans 16:5 and 1 Corinthians 16:15, respectively. He also speaks of believing Jews as having preceded Gentiles into the kingdom as a holy firstfruit (Romans 11:16) to the Lord.

The last of the New Testament references to firstfruits relates to the 144,000 Israelite witnesses in the coming great tribulation. "These were redeemed from among men, being the firstfruits unto God and to the Lamb" (Revelation 14:4). Beautiful and pointed though these metaphors may be, however, they in no wise lessen our responsibility to honour God with our own firstfruits. HMM

For more . . . .
Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:33pm On Feb 19, 2018
Emblems of the Holy Spirit
BY HENRY M. MORRIS, PH.D. | MONDAY, FEBRUARY 19, 2018

"And Jesus, when He was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto Him, and He saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon Him." (Matthew 3:16).

There are several beautiful symbols of the Holy Spirit in the New Testament. The first is that of the dove, here mentioned in the very first New Testament reference to the Spirit. It was the dove, of course, that first assured Noah that the earth had risen out of the death waters of the great Flood, just as Christ now rose up out of the baptismal waters to receive the dove-like Spirit.

The water itself is also an emblem of the Spirit in its cleansing efficacy and life-sustaining virtue. Jesus said, "Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God" (John 3:5). This could also be translated "born of water, even the Spirit." When He promised "rivers of living water" to those who believed on Him, "this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive" (John 7:38-39).

Then, there is the wind: sometimes a gentle breeze, sometimes a mighty hurricane, and this also symbolizes the Holy Spirit. "The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit" (John 3:8.)

John the Baptist said, "I indeed baptize you with water; but one mightier than I cometh. . . . he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost and with fire" (Luke 3:16). The Holy Spirit is God; "our God is a consuming fire" (Hebrews 12:29). The Spirit of God is a gentle dove and living water; He is the blowing wind and a consuming fire; He is our "Comforter" (John 14:26), "the Spirit of truth" (John 14:17), and "the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus" (Romans 8:2). HMM

For more . . . .
Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:20pm On Feb 20, 2018
True Worship
BY HENRY M. MORRIS, PH.D. | TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 20, 2018

"God is a Spirit: and they that worship Him must worship Him in Spirit and in Truth." (John 4:24).

The word "worship" is used frequently today in Christian circles—in addition to worship services, we now have worship choruses, worship teams, worship manuals, worship seminars, etc. Often, however, the basic meaning of worship is misunderstood.

In the original Hebrew and Greek, the words translated "worship" mean simply to "bow down"! The Hebrew is so translated the first time it is used. When Abraham saw God and two angels approaching, "he ran to meet them from the tent door, and bowed himself toward the ground" (Genesis 18:2). That is, he recognized God's "worthy-ship" and was submitting himself to do His will.

The last time "worship" is used is when John "fell down to worship before the feet of the angel." He was corrected by the angel with these words: "See thou do it not: . . . worship God" (Revelation 22:8-9). Only God, our Creator and Saviour, is worthy of true worship, and that worship involves simply bowing down in submission to do His will.

That is why it must be "in spirit and in truth." Our spirit must submit to God who is Spirit, and this can only be in truth. Remember the words of the Lord Jesus concerning the Spirit whom He would send to indwell His followers: "When he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: . . . He shall glorify me" (John 16:13-14).

He would do this by revealing God's Word to the writers of the New Testament, just as He had for the Old (2 Peter 1:21). In His prayer to the Father, recorded by John, Christ prayed for us, saying, "Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth" (John 17:17). True worship is simply submitting to and doing God's will as made known by His written Word and the guidance of His Holy Spirit, thereby glorifying Christ. HMM

For more . . . .
Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:34pm On Mar 01, 2018
Grace Upon Grace
February 21, 2018

"And of His fulness have all we received, and grace for grace." (John 1:16).

We can never exhaust the riches of the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ. When we receive Him as Saviour, we receive "grace for grace"—that is, one grace after another, grace upon grace.

In the first place, we have received His saving grace: "For by grace are ye saved" (Ephesians 2:8 ). We also receive justifying grace, because we are "justified freely by his grace" (Romans 3:24), having the very righteousness of Christ credited to our account. It is then standing grace, enabling us to stand confidently in our grace-given salvation. "We have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand" (Romans 5:2).

That same boundless grace soon becomes working grace and serving grace. "By the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me" (1 Corinthians 15:10). "Let us have grace, whereby we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear" (Hebrews 12:28).

Yet, there is more, for we need grace for times of testing and opposition as well as for serving. When such times come, "he giveth more grace" (James 4:6). "My grace is sufficient for thee," He says, "for my strength is made perfect in weakness" (2 Corinthians 12:9). He gives strengthening grace and sufficient grace for every need.

The grace of Christ is thus truly abounding grace, for "God is able to make all grace abound toward you" (2 Corinthians 9:8 ). It is even giving grace, and we should "abound in this grace also" (2 Corinthians 8:7). Therefore, we should continually "grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ" (2 Peter 3:18). HMM

For more . . . .
Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:41am On Apr 24, 2018
Pastor W.F. Kumuyi respectfully requests the pleasure of your presence to watch the online streaming of the inauguration ceremony of the Ultra-Modern Headquarters Church Auditorium.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxLqLjwYZLI
Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:15pm On Aug 28, 2019
Temptation's Threefold Nature
WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 28, 2019

"And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat." (Genesis 3:6).

Satan was so successful with his first temptation when he persuaded Adam and Eve to rebel against God's Word in the Garden of Eden that he has been using the same technique ever since. By this threefold temptation, he appeals to the body, soul, and spirit. He first appeals to whatever fleshly appetites a person may have (“good for food”), then to his emotional responses (“pleasant to the eyes”), and finally to his spiritual pride (“make one wise”).

John later would call these desires "the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life" (1 John 2:16). James identifies them as "earthly, sensual, devilish" (James 3:15).

Satan even brought the same three temptations to bear on Christ Himself in the wilderness: "If thou be the Son of God, command that these stones be made bread" (Matthew 4:3). That is, "satisfy your physical hunger." "Cast thyself down" from the pinnacle of the temple, thus enjoying the exhilarating feeling of being borne up by angels (Matthew 4:5-6). "All these things I will give thee" without your going to the cross, Satan taunted (Matthew 4:9).

Christ, however, stood the test, in each case citing an appropriate verse of Scripture to gain the victory. Now, when we are tempted, we can draw on His strength and follow His example. "Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him" (James 1:12). God "will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it" (1 Corinthians 10:13). HMM

For more . . . .
Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:04pm On Aug 29, 2019
Life's Uncertainties
THURSDAY, AUGUST 29, 2019

"Thomas saith unto him, Lord, we know not whither thou goest; and how can we know the way?" (John 14:5).

Many times along life's way we face uncertainties, opposition, and even doubt. When we do, it is helpful to recognize that those who lived with Christ when He was here on Earth faced the same perplexities. His answers and assurances to them in John 14 are meant for us as well.

"Let not your heart be troubled," He said (John 14:1)—an emphatic command that could be rendered "Don't continue to be troubled." The solution: "Ye believe in God, believe also in me." We believe God can supply all the answers to our troubles. But Christ is God! He is the solution. He is "the way, the truth, and the life" (14:6), and is the only solution, for "no man cometh unto the Father, but by [him]."

He is the way: "In my Father's house are many mansions. . . . I go to prepare a place for you. And . . . I will come again, and receive you unto myself" (14:2-3). Whatever else may befall us, our destiny is sure. His reputation is at stake, for He has promised a place in the Father's house.

He is the truth: Peter had just been informed of his coming denial (13:38), that he would openly assert a lie. Jesus said He is "the truth." "The words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but of the Father that dwelleth in me" (14:10). Words and thoughts not in accordance with His are not "truth," we can be sure of that.

He is the life: Speaking of His imminent death, Christ said, "Whither I go, thou canst not follow me now; but thou shalt follow me afterwards" (13:36), indicating their own eventual persecution and martyrdom. Yet their ultimate victory, as well as comfort (14:16-18), were assured.

How can those things be? "Whatsoever ye shall ask in my name," Christ said, "that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son" (14:13). JDM

For more . . . .
Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:42pm On Nov 30, 2022
Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:21am On Dec 01, 2022
Did He Really Die?
Dec. 1, 2022
by John D. Morris, Ph.D.

"And Pilate marvelled if he were already dead: and calling unto him the centurion, he asked him whether he had been any while dead. And when he knew it of the centurion, he gave the body to Joseph" (Mark 15:44-45).

The absolute and total physical death of Christ is essential to the gospel. Certain liberals and detractors have for years tried to obscure or deny this vital teaching, claiming that Christ merely “swooned” on the cross and later revived in the tomb, then appeared to His followers who falsely claimed His resurrection.

But to the Christian, the death of Christ is not an option. The Bible teaches that sin had separated each man from God: “For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God,” being declared righteous only "through faith in his blood" (Romans 3:23, 25) that was shed on the cross. "Without shedding of blood is no remission" of sin (Hebrews 9:22). There can be no Christianity without the real death of the real, sinless Son of God.

It seems that the gospel writers, in recounting the events of the crucifixion, go to great lengths to make sure no one misunderstands. In Mark 15, for example, nearly 20 people are mentioned who no doubt would testify to His death. Consider the likely testimony of the Roman guards who had tortured Him to the point of death (vv. 15-23), nailed Him on the cross (v. 24), and watched Him die. The executioner (v. 25) and the centurion (vv. 39, 44-45) were trained in killing. They knew how to recognize death. The thieves (v. 27), the mocking passersby (v. 29), the chief priests and scribes (v. 31), the grave keepers (v. 46), all would have had no doubt. Pilate was convinced (vv. 44-45), as were His many friends who watched (vv. 40-41, 47).

There can be no doubt Christ surely died, and He died "to give his life a ransom for many" (Mark 10:45). JDM

For more . . . .
Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:45pm On Dec 02, 2022
The Urgency of Christ's Work
by Henry M. Morris, Ph.D. | Dec. 2, 2022

"I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work" (John 9:4).

It is striking how often the Lord Jesus used the term "must" in connection with the different aspects of the work He came to do. Since He is our example, we also must be serious and urgent about our Father's work. Even as a boy in the temple, He told His parents, "I must be about my Father's business" (Luke 2:49).

Then early in His ministry, as He went from place to place, He said, "I must preach the kingdom of God to other cities also: for therefore am I sent" (Luke 4:43). Toward the end of His earthly ministry, He said one day, "I must walk to day, and to morrow, and the day following: for it cannot be that a prophet perish out of Jerusalem" (Luke 13:33). He also said to His disciples that "he must go unto Jerusalem, and suffer many things of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised again the third day" (Matthew 16:21).

He had told the great teacher of Israel, Nicodemus, "Ye must be born again." To explain how this could be, He then said, "And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life" (John 3:7, 14-15). Before we could ever be born again to everlasting life, therefore, Christ must be lifted up on the cross to die for our sins.

Still, all “the scriptures must be fulfilled” (Mark 14:49), and accordingly, “he must rise again from the dead” (John 20:9). Yet, even this did not fully complete “the works of him that sent me,” for Christ had said that “the gospel must first be published among all nations” (Mark 13:10). Therefore, we also must work the works of Him who sent us, before our days of opportunity are gone. HMM

For more . . . .
Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:22pm On Dec 03, 2022
The Divine Designer
by Henry M. Morris, Ph.D. | Dec. 3, 2022

"Who hath measured the waters in the hollow of his hand, and meted out heaven with the span, and comprehended the dust of the earth in a measure, and weighed the mountains in scales, and the hills in a balance?" (Isaiah 40:12).

The answer to this rhetorical question can only be God, the divine Designer of all the intricate interrelationships of His great creation. Four of the disciplines of natural science are implied here, and in each case a key principle of that science is anticipated.

The emphasis is on the precision of the divinely allocated quantities of each component. First, there is the precise balance of the waters of the earth between the oceans, rivers, groundwater, and atmospheric waters. Hydrology is the science of Earth’s waters, and life on Earth is dependent on the fine-tuning of the components of the hydrologic cycle. "He looketh to the ends of the earth....To make the weight for the winds; and he weigheth the waters by measure" (Job 28:24-25).

The atmospheric heaven also has been carefully dimensioned in size and composition to make life possible, as formulated in the science of meteorology.

The "dust of the earth" is nothing less than the basic chemical elements out of which all things are made. The accuracy with which elements combine with each other is based on their valences, and all of this is involved in the study of chemistry. The principle of isostasy (“equal weights”) is the fundamental principle of the science of geophysics, involving the weights of mountains and hills, continents, and ocean basins.

God does not deal in chance and caprice, even with inanimate physical systems such as mountains and waters. Not even a sparrow can “fall on the ground without your Father” (Matthew 10:29). HMM

For more . . . .
Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:22am On Dec 04, 2022
Believing God
by Henry M. Morris, Ph.D. | Dec. 4, 2022

"Wherefore, sirs, be of good cheer: for I believe God, that it shall be even as it was told me" (Acts 27:25).

Most people believe in God—some kind of god—but it's a different thing altogether to believe God! And our text makes it clear that believing God simply means believing what He says, "that it shall be even as it was told me." Paul spoke these words at the height of a terrible storm at sea, when it appeared certain that "all hope that we should be saved was then taken away" (v. 20). But God had spoken otherwise, and Paul believed God rather than adopting the fears of those around him. Abraham, "the father of all them that believe" (Romans 4:11), had set the example. "He staggered not at the promise of God through unbelief; but was strong in faith, giving glory to God; And being fully persuaded that, what he had promised, he was able also to perform" (Romans 4:20-21).

God does not speak to us audibly today as He did to Abraham and Paul, but He does speak far more comprehensively to us through His written Word, and we have even less excuse for unbelief than they might have had. It is a terrible offense against our Creator to question His Word. This, indeed, was the very sin of pride that led to Satan's fall and then to the fall of Adam and Eve. "All scripture is given by inspiration of God [literally, 'is God-breathed']" (2 Timothy 3:16) and thus should be fully believed and explicitly obeyed, for "he that believeth not God hath made him a liar" (1 John 5:10).

But what about those Scriptures that modern scientists claim to be wrong? "Shall their unbelief make the faith of God without effect? God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every man a liar" (Romans 3:3-4). "For the word of the Lord is right; and all his works are done in truth" (Psalm 33:4). HMM

For more . . . .
Re: Days Of Praise (3) — The Doctrine of Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:28pm On Dec 05, 2022
Forget Not His Commandments
by Henry M. Morris, Ph.D. | Dec. 5, 2022

"My son, forget not my law; but let thine heart keep my commandments" (Proverbs 3:1).

It is vitally important that even though we are saved by grace and not by the works of the law, we never forget that God’s law is essentially a statement of God's holiness. We should desire to know and follow God's commandments simply because they are "holy, and just, and good" (Romans 7:12), not because we seek salvation through them.

It is noteworthy that the anonymous writer of the longest chapter in the Bible (Psalm 119), in which practically every verse refers to the Scriptures, stressed seven times that he would never forget the laws and commandments of his Lord. May the Lord teach us to share the same determination. Note:

"I will delight myself in thy statutes: I will not forget thy word" (v. 16).

"For I am become like a bottle in the smoke; yet do I not forget thy statutes" (v. 83).

"I will never forget thy precepts: for with them thou hast quickened me" (v. 93).

"My soul is continually in my hand: yet do I not forget thy law" (v. 109).

"I am small and despised: yet do not I forget thy precepts" (v. 141).

"Consider mine affliction, and deliver me: for I do not forget thy law" (v. 153).

"I have gone astray like a lost sheep; seek thy servant; for I do not forget thy commandments" (v. 176).

This seventh reference is actually the closing verse of this remarkable 119th Psalm. It beautifully points up the urgency of not forgetting the commandments of God. He will seek us when we stray and bring us back home to Him, for we remember and love His law. HMM

For more . . . .

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply)

Reverend Sister Leads Students Dance Group On Kiss Daniel's Music / Aloysius Nnamdi Ikegwuonu "Bishop" Who Built Attacked Ozubulu Catholic Church / Reverend Sister Visits Village In Niger State Where Women Go Topless. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 186
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.