Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,563 members, 7,820,035 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:48 AM

Please What Is The Recipe For 'ukwa' ? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Please What Is The Recipe For 'ukwa' ? (1891 Views)

The African Breadfruit Meal (ukwa) Is Highly Nutritious And Sweet No Be Small O! / Recipe For Losing Weight..... Lose 12kg In Two Weeks / Your Special Recipe For Your Jollof Rice! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Please What Is The Recipe For 'ukwa' ? by Nobody: 8:18pm On Nov 28, 2013
Please what is the recipe for this Igbo food called 'Ukwa' ? Pls help me out. I miss this food seriously. Thanks for your help oh!!!
Re: Please What Is The Recipe For 'ukwa' ? by peacettw: 11:46pm On Nov 28, 2013
This is my recipe
Buy the following ingredients : Ukwa, N10 akanwu, dry fish, N20 ogili, N20 already washed onugbo leaves, palm oil, Cray fish, benny spice, fresh red pepper and if you want fresh corn in a tin.

Now, wash the ukwa making sure there are no grit nor chaff. This requires lots of water and patience.

Put the ukwa on fire with some water and add your akanwu. The akanwu or potash should be dissolved first in water and the mixture decanted in the ukwa on fire taking care that the grit from the akanwu does not get into the pot. The akanwu aids in the ukwa cooking faster.
At this point also, I add my crayfish and fresh pepper uncut. (like it uncut cos at the end of the cooking process, it comes out in long thin stripes which to me gives it a more sophisticated look)

Wait to boil and reduce the heat (I do this for most of my meals to retain flavor by avoiding adding unnecessary large amount of water during the cooking process)

Now wait till ukwa is almost done with very little water remaining . The ukwa is checked same way as rice and then add ur dry fish, dissolved ogili, fresh corn and onugbo leaves.

Wait till it is properly done, then add very little palm oil to change the color from dull grey to sunny yellow and spice with my go to spice: Benny.

Ps: AT NO POINT THROUGOUT THIS COOKING PROCESS DO YOU TURN WITH A COOKING SPOON. THIS ENCOURAGES BURNING QUICKLY. ONLY TURN WHEN THE UKWA IS DONE AND YOU HAVE ADDED YOUR BENNY SPICE AND PALM OIL TO TASTE. Also, do cook out the onugbo a bit. This aids in removing the bitter taste further and to make it soft. Ugu leaves can be used but I prefer onugbo. If u have already prepared onugbo soup, U can simply add a little to the ukwa and skip adding ogili, onugbo leaves and palm oil.

So, that is it. Enjoy.
Re: Please What Is The Recipe For 'ukwa' ? by Nobody: 4:12am On Nov 29, 2013
...thanks a million...

(1) (Reply)

Why Does Soup Taste Better After A Day Or Two? / What Do You Call These Fruits/food Stuff In Your Dialects / See Pepper I Just Bought For 900 Naira | I Shock No Be Small

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.